Did Nvidia Accidentally Announce GTA V For The PC?

By Craig Pearson on August 13th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

To the anger of Dr Zoidberg, I’m attempting to retain an air nonchalance about GTA V. If it doesn’t come out then I can pretend I was cool about it, but if it is announced then I can break for cover and hug the nearest person to me. That could be you, btw. But that fact is the console version is out in September and nothing has been announced for the PC, so there will be some sort of delay. But a small glimmer of hope has emerged on the possibility of it coming to the PC this autumn, via an Nvidia investor call.

From the handy typists at Seeking Alpha:

The PC market is evolving. As entry level laptops face pressure from tablets. Yet sales of specialty PCs like gaming systems and work stations continue to grow. The disparity reflects how consumers use these different classes of PCs. Many consumers look for PC as a general purpose device they can use for browsing, email, social media video. But much of this can be better served by a tablet. In contrast, gamers are preparing their systems for a strong roster of games coming this fall, including blockbuster franchises, such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, Grand Theft Auto V and Assassin’s Creed IV.

Ooh. It’s so close. It could be any manner of flubs: a slip of the tongue that’s just announced the game. Or someone just getting excited and listing a game that genuinely isn’t coming out. Rockstar’s form with GTA points towards it eventually popping on the PC.

I want it. Mostly for whatever the multiplayer modes will be. I spent a little bit of time driving around GTA IV with a friend this weekend, and it was great fun.

Thanks for the tip, Mr and Mrs Eurogamer.

, , .

1. fiendling says:

Hmmm… very tentative and mild excitement.

I will first wait and see if they can put in a better porting effort this time around.

• Zacqary Adam Green says:

No, see, Rockstar’s shoddy porting is why you need a new Nvidia card.

• fiendling says:

lol… if the port is true to the usual Rockstar form, a Titan 3-way SLI wouldn’t be enough.

• Premium User Badge Cinek says:

The minimum requirements for their ports scale with your hardware. So in the end it doesn’t matter if you play 3-SLI Titans or ATI APU – it will be equally unplayable.

• arccos says:

And in the game!

• DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

GTAIV runs great with maxed settings on a 670 for me, but okay guys continue perpetuating old nerd wives tales and confusing people who don’t know any better.

• frightlever says:

Your high-mid-range GPU will play a five year old PC game. Wicked.

• noodlecake says:

Well my 6950 won’t so ignore that sarcastic dickwad above :)

• Shooop says:

Max Payne 3 runs perfectly fine on PC.

The problem wasn’t the port, it was the lack of an actual game – Rockstar have been more interested in making movies than games lately.

• DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

There’s as much game in it as any other Max Payne game if not more

• Werthead says:

Your basic point – the first two games are not exactly shy about dropping in multiple cut scenes mid-mission – is correct, but your statement about the extent of it is not. MAX PAYNE 1 and 2 would tend to have a fair few cut scenes (either in-game or using the comic book interludes) throughout each mission, but you would be in actual control of the character for most of each mission.

In MAX PAYNE 3 there are multiple missions where you actually spend more time in cut scenes than in gameplay. The cut scenes also tend to be much, much longer than in the original games as well.

We shouldn’t kid ourselves that MAX PAYNE 1 and 2 were perfect games, but those problems were certainly a lot worse in MAX PAYNE 3. I enjoyed MP3 (the airport showdown to the music of Health is one of my favourite action set-pieces from the last couple of years), but I think it has some deeply frustrating problems that the first two games didn’t share.

• Premium User Badge darkChozo says:

The Max Payne 3 port was pretty good, and it seems that they’re using some similar tech in GTAV, at least in the preview videos. Fingers crossed.

• David Bliff says:

There’s a pretty good chance that the reason the port of GTAIV sucked so much was down to the engine and physics optimization. Given that GTAIV runs really well on any gaming PC now, I’m optimistic that GTAV could do the same right out of the gate. Also, if rumors about them porting the game to next-gen consoles are true, they’re already working on optimizing the engine for similar architectures anyway.

• UpsilonCrux says:

“Given that GTAIV runs really well on any gaming PC now”

It really doesn’t. The crashes, memory leaks and general instability is as bad as ever. God forbid you should try and use any mods. Add custom cars and you will have a city full of taxis, add custom textures and you will have an invisible city after 20 minutes. Add custom scripts, and you will be guaranteed crashes.
        It’s a damn shame, I reinstalled it on my new machine a while back, hoping that I could foist the blame onto my old PC and finally enjoy a title I never got around to finishing. Nope. After having serious problems with mods (see above) I reverted to a vanilla install, and still it runs like shit after 15 or 20 minutes, with textures disappearing and so on.
        Another disgusting feature of the PC port is the existence of npc vehicle drivers, or their lack of. The drivers in the vehicles spawn into existence approximately 30-40ft away from the player. Any further, and they pop out of existence, leaving autonomous vehicles cruising the streets of LC. This is not a LOD issue, you can snipe a vehicle in the exact spot where the drivers head should be, and the car continues driving, because you simply shot a hole into the window, theres no driver there to hit! The craziest bit about this is that I played GTA4 on 360 when it came out, and spent fond times sniping distant cars and watching them spin out or drive into walls as the npc driver was killed. When I realised this on the PC, I couldn’t believe it, and it really ruins the immersion for me.

I do hope 5 will be better.

• Stevostin says:

On your rig ongly, pal. I’ve played it extensively with no pb with a few mod for dozen of hours. It even deals better with alt tab than a lot of native pc game on my rig.

• UpsilonCrux says:

Please enlighten me as to the magic method you undertook to accomplish this. I’m serious, I would love to play this game with mods etc.
            Running an i5 at 4.2, 2Gb GTX670OC. Seems legit for a game released five years ago…

• tycoonboy says:

Well my first rig I Played GTA IV on was a samsung laptop with a I3 M330 (first gen!) 4GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 310m. And with almost everything on low (some things are really lightweight and my performance never got lower when i set those things on high) and it works really good. no glitches, no bugs. Every patch gave better performance. Now on my desktop it works also better with everything on medium/high. So maybe you should install new drivers and such…. (new setup: I5 2500k, 8GB RAM, NVidia Geforce 550 Ti SuperClocked (EVGA))

• Werthead says:

I’m running an i5-550, 1GB nVidia 550ti and 8GB RAM and both GTA4 and the Episodes run smoothly with everything at maximum with zero problems whatsoever.

The original, “It’s only screwed up if you have a dual core,” issue seems to have not been entirely accurate, since I’ve also seen people with better machines than me struggle with it. It seems to almost be random at how some machines will run it fine (and these do seem now to be in the majority, to be fair) and others won’t.

• fish99 says:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen GTA4 PC crash and I’ve finished it about 4 times now, and played the DLCs twice each. If you’re just talking about with mods, well, that’s hardly the games fault.

Also Rockstar confirmed that the LOD sliders default to higher on PC than where they are set to on the console (you can’t see them on console, but the LOD values still exist of course), and you can push them way higher. As for cars vanishing 40 ft away, that’s a big exaggeration, plus ALL GTA style games do this, including GTA4 on console. I have both versions.

I will agree it should run better though.

• UpsilonCrux says:

No not the cars, but the drivers. If you’ve got both versions I suggest you check it out, I no longer have a 360 so I can’t, but it’s something people are aware of, you can find threads on the issue if you google the issue.

• Great Cthulhu says:

I definitely experienced a number of crashes when I played the game. Was a vanilla install from Steam. When I was about halfway through the game I even got one that caused it to fail to recognize any of my saves anymore. Put the game away in disgust after that.

Of course, I was already annoyed by the game’s insistence on “Rockstar Social Club” and “Game For Windows Live” accounts, the poor performance on what was at the time a beefy pc, and the annoying friend mini games that the game constantly bothered you with.

Damn shame. I loved the games from the 3 series. (Despite those being poor ports as well.) Maybe V will win me back, but I don’t have high hopes.

• beejee says:

I’ve gone through GTA 4 and the expansions a couple of months ago and had no problem whatsoever while putting in 150+ hours.

• noodlecake says:

Yep. I have a HD6950 and it is janky as bollocks. I can max out loads of new games but GTAIV is still pretty fucked up. I don’t know how people manage to play it with those amazing graphics mods. :S

• Stevostin says:

That’s silly. GTA IV port was disappointing in some ways but it was still better looking than on console, one of the best looking pc game of its time, and one hell of a game. This one seems to be ready to establish the new genre standard. Impressive stuff.

• hatseflats says:

Do you work for Rockstar or something? The game doesn’t even support AA for crying out loud (every single game looks like a steaming turd without 4×AA). And it still runs like shit on a 2013 upper-middle GPU and 2011 high-end Quadcore CPU.

• UpsilonCrux says:

Thanks pet

• Deadly Sinner says:

Are you kidding? GTA4 doesn’t have MSAA because of the same reason that many games don’t have AA: it uses deferred rendering. And considering that dx10 graphics cards didn’t have much penetration way back in 2008 (and dx11 cards weren’t even made yet,) it was not an option to make the game anything other than dx9.

And I find it pretty hard to believe that it “ran like shit” with those vague specs when the Phenom X4 955 and 5750, which are by no means high end, ran it pretty well.

• Leb says:

shadow scaling on GTAIV was horrendous

• Shooop says:

No it looked merely OK. It takes mods to make it really look like something above and beyond what the console releases got.

Mods which can break the game if you happen to install the wrong combination of them.

• noodlecake says:

Nah. It definitely looked a lot better than the console version. I’m not forgiving the terrible port but the textures look better, you can play in 1080p, and a bunch of other subtle things look better too. It just freaks out on my relatively new gaming pc.

• Iskariot says:

I am sure they learned from the GTA IV debacle. To be honest Rockstar showed good support for the PC version with the release of several patches to fix things.
      And like others stated Max Payne 3 had a great PC release.
      So I am very confident GTA V for PC will rock.

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

It would explain the 5 month delay.

Having said that I really can’t see it, they know many of us PCers will buy it on console first AND on PC second. Either way I just hope the port is up to snuff.

3. siliciferous says:

I’m game as long as this Rockstar Social Club nonsense is not a requirement. GTA IV was the first GTA I’ve wanted to play since GTA3 (not due to thinking the games were bad, but rather because I loved GTA3 so much that I burned myself out on the third person open-world style of game entirely!) but I chose to skip it due to my personal decision to not support products with weird additional required accounts and/or copy protection schemes.

• Fractalhedron says:

Realistically, Rockstar Social Club is here to stay, which is kind of ridiculous if it’s going to be Steamworks anyway. Didn’t GTA IV have something like four different levels of DRM? Like, Steamworks AND GFWL AND SecuROM AND Rockstar Social Club? I’m amazed it runs at all on PCs.

Multiple character arcs might save V on a console, but when your competition is Saints Row IV and the Dragon’s Dogma remake right on top of you, Sleeping Dogs and Dishonored recent enough that people are still picking them up for the first time, and probably ten other asshole simulators, it might be time to hit up Sisyphus for tips.

v v v Can’t believe I forgot that. Nice catch.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

And Watch Dogs just around the corner…

• lordcooper says:

What Dragon’s Dogma remake?

• Fractalhedron says:

Dark Arisen. More of a re-release with expansion than an actual remake, but it does change up the mechanics a little and also you’d have to buy it again if you had Dragon’s Dogma before, so you probably did all right if it’s your first shot at the game.

EDIT: Actually it’s out already, but it’s close enough to when GTA5 is that it’s still kind of a threat, especially if people aren’t married to modern day crime stuff.

• lordcooper says:

Oh, that. It came out like four months ago, which is years in videogame time.

• Wedge says:

Dammit, I thought someone had announced Dragon’s Dogma: DA coming to PC. Of all your games Capcom, why is THAT one not coming to PC? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

• XhomeB says:

Close. GTA IV used SecuROM, GFWL and Rockstar Social Club. If someone was a masochist and bought it on Steam, Valve automatically applied ANOTHER DRM layer, like they do for all games.
        LA Noire and Max Payne 3 were much better in this regard, RSC and some other protection if you got retail copies.

• HothMonster says:

Steam does not automatically apply DRM. If the Dev doesn’t opt for steamworks DRM the game can be launched from the .exe without steam running. Not sure if this is the case with GTA4 or not. Steamworks-DRM is an optional component of Steamworks.

Though, of course, you would need Steam installed to download the game regardless of whether they opted for Steamworks DRM and many people consider that in and of itself to be DRM.

• HadToLogin says:

Sorry, but there’s maybe 5% games on Steam that doesn’t require Steam running in background to work. Rest of them, when you start their exe you launch steam first.
            And I’m not talking about SteamWorks games that even in retail are just borrowed from Valve and box is worthless after typing code, that happens with nearly everything.

• WoundedBum says:

I really don’t think Saints Row IV is competition for GTA V, they cater for different things now. Looking at that gameplay video, and then the one of SRIV with it’s dubstep gun etc…yeah they’re very different things now. And even then, SR is just not the juggernaut that GTA is.

• Deadly Sinner says:

While I very much enjoyed the 40 hours I put into Saints Row 3 and all of its DLC, its sequel looks like Saints Row 3.5, while GTA5 looks massively improved from its predecessor. The biggest thing for me is that GTA5 looks to have fixed the horrible on foot and shooting controls (complete with super smooth Max Payne 3-like animation,) while the driving in Saints Row 4 looks as horrendous as ever.

• Shooop says:

Woah wait, what? Dragon’s Dogma coming to PC?

4. cookieheadjenkins says:

Stands near to Craig in anticipation

5. Amun says:

No GFWL = I’ll buy it at 75% off.

It’s all I can do rockstar, really.

6. Njordsk says:

Put it 10 DRM, $200 price tag, I’ll buy it !

Rockstar knows how to make this shit, and it’s so much replayable…

7. Pich says:

GTA coming to PC? No shit Sherlock.

8. Inzimus says:

yeah, Nvidia is probably the most reliable source on this matter, no? on that note, the guy who works at my local McDonald’s told me that Red Dead Redemption 2 is PC exclusive…

• David Bliff says:

Uh Nvidia works with developers and publishers to ensure driver compatibility for upcoming games, and that requires knowing when games are coming out to prioritize certain projects. Do you honestly think they don’t know things the public doesn’t about upcoming releases?

• Thirith says:

Very apt comparison. You been following the business for a long time, eh?

• nzmccorm says:

Keep in mind, nVidia has complained when they received their copy of Tomb Raider (to assist with optimization and to create a dedicated hardware profile) a month and a half before release. If it’s coming to PC, they’ll know before the media because they and AMD will be involved in the porting process.

• HadToLogin says:

While you’re wrong with your comparison, they also once upon a time wrote Heavy Rain (or some other hardcore-PS3 exclusive) to come on PC.

• Inzimus says:

wait for it… waaaait for it…. *bam*! statement has been withdrawn… wow.. so Nvidia’s PR guy can’t speak on the behalf of R*??? woot?

come on RPS-crowd; don’t be gullible IGN fools and latch on to every idiotic statement that the internet manages to get a hold of; my comparison may be an extreme one, and not as fitting to this matter of subject that y’all want it to be, but fact still remain; this was Nvidia’s PR-guy talking out of his ass and making assumptions….

• Werthead says:

Naturally the statement was withdrawn: Rockstar have not officially announced the game yet and would not want anyone else doing it for them. Personally it would have been more mature of Rockstar to have simply announced the game is coming out, but they seem to have a weird terror that if they do that, lots of people won’t buy the game on console (do they get more money from the console versions? That’s the only way that makes sense).

Is the game coming out for PC? Yes, it’s been leaked multiple times, including by Take Two themselves before E3, before they hastily covered it up. Retailers seem to have been told on the quiet that the game is coming out on PC, and Amazon UK even has a PC listing for the game. Plus, y’know, Rockstar still like making money. If they released GTA4 on PC in 2008 when the format was perceived to be at its lowest ebb, they’re sure as hell going to release the sequel now (or 1-6 months later) when it’s bigger than it has been for years.

9. Kollega says:

I actually have a question to ask… even with all the shiny new features like switching characters any time you want (Finally you can play GTA co-op! With yourself!), is anyone actually interested in another romp through Southern California? I’m honestly tired of Los Angeles and it’s environs at this point… it’s been, like, in every cop movie ever.

• Fiatil says:

Considering San Andreas was fantastic and huge, yes. It looks like they’re going for the huge map with some nice countryside to go around in, and if they put it in California to make it sell I’m not going to complain.

• Capt. Raven says:

I have to admit, ever since I got my hands on Saints Row 3 from the Deep Silver Bundle and Saints Row 4 being on the horizon…I can’t find any hype for GTA V in me anymore. I loved all the GTA games so far, this one will be great as well, I have barely any doubt in that. But it’s more of the same. It’s the same problem I got with Battlefield 4.

I’m really sorry, but a dubstep cannon and superhero-abilities are pretty colossal.

• Thirith says:

I totally am. California may feature in tons of movies, but I haven’t played that many open-world titles set in a fictionalised version, and the last one I played I greatly enjoyed.

• David Bliff says:

Yes? I sure am – San Andreas was the best in the series for its scale, in my opinion. Marry that with GTAIV’s physics and NPC AI systems and I’ll have little reason to ever uninstall it.

• dongsweep says:

I am so pumped for Watch Dogs to take place in Chicago – it is by far one of the most unique locations for a big city open world game. River running through the middle of it, iconic architecture, massive lake, upper and lower streets and bridges abound.

• WHS says:

I’m way more excited about Southern California than I would be about another NYC stand-in. My favorite part of San Andreas was just ambling about the wilderness discovering weird little towns, and it’s an experience that, to my knowledge, no game before or since has recreated. Plus, Southern California isn’t a series of flat, urbanized islands, unlike 98% of open-world games.

I enjoyed Saints Row 3 up until the moment I realized all the architecture was copied and pasted and the maximum elevation change was about ten feet. The combination of Rockstar’s superior worldbuilding and different source material has me psyched.

• The Random One says:

Stilwater from 2 was a lot better. It was no Liberty City, granted, but it felt a lot more like a city than Steelport, which is just two identical generic suburbs with Fake Manhattan wedged between them.

• Turkey says:

I can’t wait. The biggest flaw of GTA IV for me was that it was set in New York.

10. Surlywombat says:

The quote just says that gamers are buying new PCs/components because “they” (the gamers, not Nvidia) think GTA 5 is coming out. GTA5 is likely coming out, but its my opinion it will do so when they launch the “ulitmate edition” type thing on Xbone and PS4.

11. ChromeBallz says:

How is this in any way either news or surprising?

• David Bliff says:

Because Rockstar has been completely silent on it and there was speculation that if a PC port came it wouldn’t be for six months to a year later, when the next-gen ports might also release.

• David Bliff says:

Also there are a whole bunch of people who want to play it on PC but might buy it on console if the PC version only releases months later. Knowing how long the wait will be (or if there will be one at all) will influence the purchasing decisions of a lot of people.

12. Seafort says:

I’m getting GTA5 on PS3 if Rockstar announce its coming on PC this autumn I won’t be buying the PC version as well.

So they better get their asses in gear and stop being so goddamn secretive when it comes to their PC releases.

Btw what a waste of money advertising GTA5 is :P I think everyone knows what GTA is by now even the snotty nosed politicians who don’t have a clue about most things in the real world :P
    You don’t need to spent millions in marketing it.

• The Random One says:

Did you just say that you’ll buy it on PS3 and PC unless they delay the PC version?

I can’t decide whether that is a ridiculously empty threat (since you’ve announced your intent to buy the game at full price anyway) or a ridiculously effective one (because you’d be willing to buy the game at full price TWICE but now won’t).

• Screamer says:

You my friend are the reason why they are secretive about the PC release. So stop it!

13. guygodbois00 says:

“And from one QTE to another…”

14. Leb says:

Might just get this on my x360 to be honest

• pilouuuu says:

Shame on you… Shame on you…
      But if you like eternal loading times and blurry low-res graphics then it’s totally up to you.

15. cdx00 says:

If this plays anything like MP3 did, I’m definitely checking it out. Vice City, in my opinion, was the very last decent GTA. This has actually sparked hope in me.

• Harlander says:

I hope the cutscene-to-gameplay ratio isn’t quite as skewed as MP3, but otherwise, yeah

16. blackmyron says:

Okay, time out. We all know GTA V is coming to PC, eventually. Despite Rockstar’s shennanigans, the PC market is too significant to pass up for them to pass it by. They’re engaging in the sort of stupid PT Barnum nonsense to appease their primary base, the console market. They’ll wait to the last minute, make a shitty port for the PC, and a large number of people will preorder it. Hell, I’ll even buy it*.

*(When it’s $5 on Steam. With all DLC included).

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, it’s much more likely to be a question of when than if. Though, we never did get Red Dead Redemption, to my eternal dismay, so there’s still a tiny question mark. Either way, I’m just plain not getting it for console because I don’t enjoy playing GTAs on console. At this point, if they don’t bring it to PC, I won’t play it. Oh well.

• nzmccorm says:

RDR was basically unportable because it was a shambles where each version was held together by spit and bubblegum. This was likely due to the fact that it was developed on and off for five years with earnest development only starting in ’08. On top of that it was supposed to be one of the last titles for the PS2 and Xbox, and abruptly changed mid-stream to a PS3/360 project. Hence all the hilarious glitches. All the bending-over-backwards to patch shit they did to fix those glitches only made it harder to port.

Rockstar games that aren’t GTA or Max Payne tend to go through a similar process. They spent five or so years working on a spiritual sequel to the Warriors about Mod and Rocker gangs in London in the early sixties before it presumably died, and Agent’s been start and stop and start and stop and start and stop for six years. Those games, if they ever see the light of day, are going to be that kinda mess. But I’d assume that GTA is the kinda think they’d keep clean enough to port.

• Werthead says:

RDR had serious technical problems but, on top of that, Rockstar San Diego had no experience of making PC games and neither Rockstar North (who were still busy with both GTA5 and MP3 at that time) nor an outside contractor seemed interested in doing it. Actually making a RDR port would be a lot more expensive than a normal port, as a lot of code would have to be rewritten to make it work properly on the PC. Hence, it’s never happened.

With GTA, it’s a different matter. Every game in the series bar the ones developed exclusively for handhelds has made it to PC (and IIRC I think both of the TALES games were also considered, but the PS2 ports were so lukewarmly received Rockstar never bothered, and there wasn’t much demand for them) and sold extremely well. VICE CITY, for example sold 7 million copies on PC out of 17 million sales overall. That’s a huge deal. GTA4 is also still selling very well every time there’s a Steam sale. I’m pretty certain than per-year, GTA4 has sold more copies on PC than on either console for at least the last 3 years. Every time there’s a story on PC GAMER or another big site about a big new mod, sales apparently spike a little.

More notably, and I’m surprised more people haven’t remembered this, the whole ‘crew’ thing on MAX PAYNE 3 is supposed to by carried over into GTA5. That’s going to be quite difficult if GTA5 isn’t available on all of the same formats.

17. MD says:

Quit rubbing our noses in it!

18. racccoon says:

I don’t get it!?!
    Most if not all games are developed on a PC and yet Developers think coding it to a Console is great safety net with poor profits.
    WAKE UP DEVS!! PC is no longer a old school threat, Its a high end marketing commodity and a greatly missed opportunity, alongside with the best community in the world!
    Because Developers use the PC to code, model, prettiefy and compact their games, They got to be the dumbest son of bitch’s not to publish it on the PC!!

• BobbyFizz says:

You’ll get a better explanation of this elsewhere, but in brief terms the architecture and platform that consoles offer is *technically* better suited to games. It’s a platform designed for games that does pretty much just that very well, for example there is no hefty operating system that is running behind the game.

For the most part the huge money is in the console releases for games of this calibre/fame, although that’s not to say the PC market isn’t substantial. It’s just that console sales are almost guaranteed, hence they target that first.

19. cdx00 says:

“In contrast, gamers are preparing their systems for a strong roster of games coming this fall, including blockbuster franchises, such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, Grand Theft Auto V and Assassin’s Creed IV.”

This sounds like a surface statement from someone who did a quick web search for ‘hot fall 2013 games’. No more or less.

20. Jaks says:

Take 2 won’t announce anything about a PC version until the console version has run its course. They want to make sure everyone who has the capability of playing this on a console has already paid $60 for it because let’s be honest, 10 million people will torrent it on pirate bay in the first week of its launch on PC. If there was a simultaneous launch or a launch close to the console’s window, people will just download it for free.

Until something can be done about the level of software piracy, PC will remain second class for console ports of tentpole games.

I am an avid PC gamer that buys all of my games but this is the reality.

• HadToLogin says:

Pirates aren’t affecting sales THAT MUCH. Many studies show that most people pirate not to get more stuff, but because they don’t have money – so lack of torrent doesn’t change their spending plans, they won’t buy that game/movie/music anyway.
      Of course, there’s always few % that pirate because they are cheapskates, but they are drop in a lake.

• Werthead says:

Is it 2007 again or something?

This argument is simplistic and not very well-supported. Regardless of piracy, will this game still sell in the MILLIONS on PC? Based on all of the previous games in the series, yes, easily. Also, is the game easy to pirate? It has Steam and Social Club, which will dissuade casual pirates. You can’t stop the hardcore, but security measures will slow them down a bit. Is there also a piracy problem on console? Yes, and this will probably get a lot worse once updates and patches and so on for the existing consoles start to wind down.

Piracy may be a factor in the decision to hold back the PC release until several months after the console versions, but it’s not the main one. The main one is that Rockstar probably makes slightly more money per copy on a console copy than they do on a PC one, followed by the fact that Rockstar may want to do some extra optimisation for the PC port before releasing it (like they did on MAX PAYNE 3, VICE CITY and SAN ANDREAS and didn’t on GTA4). Hyperbolic comments about piracy are things that publishers are doing less of now, aware that it makes them sound a little silly and out of touch.