Royal Visit: The King Of Fighters XIII Comes To Steam

By Craig Pearson on August 13th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Lounging dude is the best dude
Zoomy pictures, music that sounds like bees trying to emulate Brian May, and punches that seem to be part of the CERN program. It can only mean it’s a Japanese fighting game, and it’s coming to the PC. Confession: I have no idea what I’m looking at, but if you’re excited to learn that The King Of Fighters XIII will be on Steam next month then I’m happy for you. It’s not the most populated of genres, particularly on the PC, so this probably calls for some sort of celebration. This is apparently the thirteenth in the series, which means you’d have to use your toes if you wanted to count up all the games. Trailer and info below.

SNK Playmore’s puncheriser will have 36 fighters, 3-on-3 team battlers, and most importantly for the PC there’s an online mode which claims to have “vastly improved netcode”. The one thing I do know about fighting games is that latency is the final boss, so here’s hoping that the new netcode can make the game playable. Here’s the trailer that leaked last week. We didn’t report on that.

September 13th, fight fans.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. naetharu says:

From what I understand of KOF its a reasonably good series of fighting games that has a lot of love both in America and Japan. Here in the UK it never really had the kind of following that Street Fighter and (later) Mortal Kombat had, probably for little reason other than the early games were exclusive to the Neo-Geo console which was horribly over priced in its time. I doubt that this game coming to Steam will be much of an event but its nice to have an extra fighting game there now. I’ve been playing both SF4 and Mortal Kombat on Steam of late and despite my initial reservations they are very good.

• crinkles esq. says:

The early KoF games weren’t just on the consoles; they were also in the arcades, but only on Neo-Geo arcade machines in which you didn’t buy a game, but time. Those Neo-Geo people were robber barons. Anyway, I don’t think KoF was ever that popular in America either. But its 3-on-3 battle system was unique, and their characters had a lot more charm and personality than the Street Fighter characters.

I’ve heard this latest installment is quite good. As Capcom no longer seems able to make a good fighting game, it’s good to see SNK is still out there doing its thing.

• Ulaxes says:

What? Super Street Fighter IV AE 2012 (fuuu) is THE fighting game out there. It beats everything in terms of everything else. Street Fighter X Tekken is also great, though the altered mechanics allow some very unfair combos.

Still waiting for Soul Calibur to appear on PC.
        And KOF13 will be a must buy for me :)

shinygerbil says:

Not to get into an argument, but it’s too slow and boring for many people’s tastes. Ultras are unnecessary and the FADC mechanic needs a complete overhaul in terms of risk/reward. The game favours defense over everything else, and most of the common/top tier characters’ offense consists of:

-knockdown
          -safe and heavily ambiguous/pseudo-unblockable mixup with odds heavily in attacker’s favour
          -repeat until dead

KOF is faster, more offense-oriented, and more flashy but still at its heart it is technical and thoughtful. Its system is more complex (rolls, guard gauge, drive cancels/HD, guard cancels, etc) which means that you have a bit more to learn than for Street Fighter, but it is still a solid “fundamentals” kind of game, rather than one based on gimmicks and shenanigans (Marvel.)

For those looking for a change from SF but don’t fancy a 3D game or an anime game*, or indeed anything not on PC, this is the one to get. Play this for a few weeks and you’ll never want to go back.

And don’t be put off by the need to learn 3 characters, either; a basic gameplan is pretty simple to put together for most characters, and you could always pick some fairly similar characters to begin with.

*KOF is not really an “anime game”; they tend to have pretty distinct mechanics, usually revolving around aerial combos, airdashing etc. Some examples being Guilty Gear or Skullgirls (On Steam Aug 22!) or Blazblue or etc. I’d even say Marvel was closer mechanically to an anime game than KOF.

• Phendron says:

FADC costs 2 meter now, I’d say that’s plenty of risk.

• Ringwraith says:

The term ‘anime’ fighters isn’t a great name, ‘airdash’ fighter is usually better, as those kinds of games are typically characterised by being able to dash in the air as well as the ground, and also being able to block while in mid-air, which quite a few games without much vertical emphasis tend to lack.

shinygerbil says:

2 meters isn’t risk. Getting punished is risk. Spending meters is the decision you make in order to remove risk, but there are problems with the system.

Example: Ryu’s shoryuken FADC forward. On block? Can’t be punished; can shoryuken again, throw, backdash, block, whatever. If it hits, you can combo into Ultra for something approaching 50% of their lifebar.

Sure, you’ve spent 2 meters, but at zero risk. Not to mention zero brainpower used.

Now if FADC *forward* was unsafe but *backward* was safe, then there would be an element of risk: do I FADC backwards and remain safe, but lose the option to tack on 50% damage for free? Or do I go for the combo into Ultra but get punished on block?

*That* is risk/reward.

• King Eternity says:

@shinygerbil: SF4 single-handedly revitalised the fighting scene, both at casual and pro levels. Sure gameplay has become somewhat formulaic for some matchups but that’s the natural progression of a game at the extreme end of it’s lifecycle where play has been fully optimised. The fact that it is still the biggest fighting game in the world after 5 years is testament to it’s quality. If it’s not to your taste that’s fine, but to claim it’s not a well designed game is stupidity.

“Ultras are unnecessary”, wut?! Says you. And your risk/reward analysis of FADC is hopelessly simplistic.

shinygerbil says:

I have played SF4 solidly since it came out. (Only in the last couple of months have I dropped it for KOFXIII – and I’m not looking back.) It was the game which got me into competitive fighting after years of casual Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur play. I didn’t mention anything about what it has done for the fighting game scene, because I’m fully aware of its impact. I was not trying to dispute that. Indeed, a year ago I’d have been happy to state that SF4 was the best fighting game ever.

I was maybe slightly over-negative about it – it *is* a well-designed game in many areas, but *definitely* not all. (Pseudo-unblockables aside, since they’re definitely an unintended thing which Capcom are trying to remove in Ultra.)

Yes, my FADC example was simplistic; it wasn’t intended to be anything else. This is a comment thread. It’s one small example of an easy low-risk high-reward option open to Ryu (and others). Capcom employees have gone on the record stating that they are trying to rework risk/reward across the board for Ultra, because at the moment it is simply not where it should be.

Ultras, yes, they are an opinion thing. But can you explain to me why they are *necessary*? Thought not. They’re an optional extra, design-wise, which in my opinion detract from the game. In no way are they required to make SF4 a playable game. It would work just fine without ‘em.

TLDR; try some other games – KOFXIII or Tekken Tag 2 maybe. Learn the systems thoroughly, think about them from a design perspective, then look back at SF4. You may be surprised at what you think.

• King Eternity says:

I was talking about SF4’s effect on the fighter scene as a demonstration of it’s quality; a poorly designed game would not have been able to have such wide-reaching impact.

I didn’t mean that your explanation of FADC was simplistic, I meant that your thinking about it is simplistic. Ryu has the most effective FADC in the game but is considered the benchmark for character balance. Sure it’s a powerful option but requiring 2 meters for it means that it can’t be spammed out and a good opponent will play around it with baits and more conservative play when it’s available. Having circumstantially powerful options adds to the depth of the game.

I don’t know why you are talking about whether ultras are “necessary”? They are a design decision that has been a part of Street Fighter since ST and most fighting games have them in some form. They greatly enhance the possibility of a comeback when a player is behind which makes the game more exciting to play and watch. The “Beast Unleashed” video would not exist without them, along with many of the game’s most memorable matches.

I play KOF and it’s a great game, in a completely different way to SF.

squirrelrampage says:

Okay, maybe you were not able to afford the bajillion bucks that was necessary to afford one of the infamous NeoGeo consoles back in the day where the KoF series debuted as the brightly colored, seizure-inducing pixelfest that it was heralded as, but…

I don’t know what internet you have lived in for the last 20 years, but I am, surprised that you have never encountered the boobage of Mai Shiranui before. Certainly one of the most epic and lasting achievements of the KoF series and the entire videogame industry ever!

3. BadassCyborg3000 says:

King of Fighters XIII is not as popular as Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 or Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition Version 2012, but it is showing itself to be one of the premier fighting games around now. At both its showings at Evolution 2012 and 2013 (largest international fighting game tournament) it has garnered some of the highest excitement. It is a game that has an international flavor to it in so far as the best players come from the United States, Mexico, Japan, Korea, etc. By comparison UMvC3 is typically a US centric fighting game. To answer your actual questions at the end, it is the type of game where the animations being counted would be only for attempting to flawlessly execute their more damaging combos (which can be very long and complex). Players will build their own custom arcade sticks for pretty much any fighting game. And King of Fighters XIII is probably 3rd place in fight games behind UMvC3 and SFIV.

Also Mai Shiranui is the original jiggly boobs. Guy who animated her wanted to challenge himself and tried to make her breast bounce in her normal stance.

4. Echo Black says:

How is Haohmaru still alive?

• Wedge says:

He’s a ghooooost. Yeah they have a bunch of random cameo’s from SNK games showing up in the backgrounds of stages. There’s characters from Garou, MotW, and even Metal Slug in some of them.

• ZyloMarkIII says:

Speaking of Haohmaru, talk about how Samurai Spirits/Shodown fell from grace. Like, the last solid one I played was the 4th entry and that was in 1996. I just hope they can turn that boat around like they did with KoF because the ’01-’02 entries were…ugh.

Edited for proper grammar.

• Baines says:

Another attempt at a Samurai Spirits game has been rumored, but that rumor pops up every few years just like the rumor of Mark of the Wolves 2.

The series has had a troubled history. I’m in a minority in preferring SS2, not liking many of the changes that were introduced with 3 and “fixed” with 4. 6 was one of those “throw everything in a pot and hope something kind of playable pops out” designs. The series has had nothing but trouble in its attempts at 3D as well. The first two 3D games were on an obscure system, were never ported, and haven’t even been emulated. The PS1 3D game was hardly what people wanted. And the more recent Sen was a bad idea from the start.

Add to the mix that SNK fans are split on which weapon fighter they’d like to see return, which might be hurting the chances of both Samurai Shodown and Last Blade.

5. subedii says:

You can keep Mortal Kombat, and even Street Figther. This is the one I’ve been waiting for. I guess KoF has always been more my metier.

As for why, I guess I like the general style of the games, and the feel of the gameplay. More than that I don’t want to say since I’m just a fighting novice. In general terms, KoF is always going to be more niche than something like SF, but it does have its hardcore following.

Although if you want a good primer on the gameplay itself and how it flows, I found this useful:

6. Drinking with Skeletons says:

My all-time favorite fighting game–also available on PC from GOG and probably other places, too–is Guilty Gear XX. How does this compare?

• Renato Costa says:

It’s not an airdasher, so you can’t really block in the air, doesn’t have really that much mechanics in terms of roman cancels, bursts and stuff. It has some nifty tools for traversal on the field (hop, hyperhop, roll), and the drive bar that allows cancelling an special move into a special move, if the first one connects. Also this bar has a “burst” system that allow longer combos and juggles.
      Search youtube for a demonstration video, though I think something like Persona 4 Arena or BlazBlue might be more up your alley.

• Ringwraith says:

The airdash fighters are another kettle of fish, this isn’t one, due to not having an air dash.
        Shame really Arc System Works only put the first BlazBlue out on PC really, (and even the latest one will be PS3-only).
        I personally love how Persona 4 Arena is brilliant for newbies like me, as there are no really complicated inputs for specials (the worst it gets is two quarter-circles), and they don’t even have normals which require directional inputs. Plus having an auto-combo button lets even hamfisted people like me pull off something flashy which isn’t the most devastating thing in the world (as it’s usually a semi-simple combo).

• Renato Costa says:

I guess I expressed myself wrong. Correcting!
          Also, the “Easy-to-get-in-but-hard-to-master” is thrown around a lot nowadays, but few hit that nail quite like Persona 4 Arena. Even though I had to go to the extreme lenght of buying the game in the japanese PSN thanks to having a Japanese PS3, I find hard to hate the game. The auto-combo does not break the game, lets pretty much everyone in the fun fast, can be helpful when nerves just break and when playing the heavy hitters the game just goes bananas on the fun.
          Unfortunately I am a glutton for pain and am trudging the slippery slope of being a high level Yukiko player. I have nightmares about clashing normals with a decent Yu or Akihiko, I tell you.

• Ringwraith says:

Yu is scary because he’s the all-rounder, and thus highly unpredictable due to lending himself to so many playstyles.
            Akihiko is just a combo god, so someone who knows they are doing can just wreck your day. One-combos with him (against the more fragile members of the cast anyway) are not that uncommon with a stackload of SP to spend.

• Renato Costa says:

Yukiko has some great mix-up options, but I’m having a bit of a hardtime capitalizing on the openings and okizeme games. And once people are in or have a knockdown, your game goes right out of the window. Her wakeup options are weak at best. You better have some amazing reads to get out of pressure with her. Also, having an amazing match, being countered with a 50SP Akihiko at mid-screen and eating punches until dying is heartbreaking.
            Against Yu, though, any of her buttons loses to all of Yu’s buttons. I tried with the training dummy. Just by hitting 5B anywhere, even j. 5B, Yu can break any attacks thrown out at him and capitalize with a combo. Sad Yukiko indeed.

• Ringwraith says:

Yu is tricky simply as he has no glaring weaknesses, so I think a lot of playing against him is spotting the flaws in the player themselves.
            Though what do I know? I am terrible at this game, and lose a lot.
            I don’t even really have a main, as I just drift between people.

shinygerbil says:

I would say that KOF actually complements GG fairly well. A lot of the KOF players I know play GG as well – and I’m also looking to get into GG.

They are fairly different mechanically, but if you’re a GG player looking for a 2D non-airdash fighter, you couldn’t do better than KOF.

7. Renato Costa says:

I would urge people to hold on to their hats and wait for a review before actually buying the game. The art and music of the game are wonderful and the matches have a really intense pace. It is a game that is almost all about rushing down and mixing up your opponent. However, the console box netcode is simply rubbish. It doesn’t stay lag free even if I am playing against someone in the same general vicinity that I am right now (and even the terrible Ultimate marvel 3 netcode gets that match-up lag-free).
    Here’s hoping for some great GGPO (like the impending skullgirls release) or something akin to ArcSystemWorks impeccable netcode (Persona 4 Arena, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue).

• subedii says:

Yeah, the only thing that really has me holding fire on this is the reports on the netcode being terribad.

• Totally heterosexual says:

Supposedly this version vastly improves on the netcode.

Says so on the steam page (and on this very article).

• Renato Costa says:

And since when do we trust people to actually deliver what they promised? It has been a while, my friend… If the netcode is actually any good, then I’m getting rid of my ps3 version right away. Else, I’ll be on my guard… Lurking… Biding the time to rise from r’lyeh.. oh, wait

• Totally heterosexual says:

Well I can dream. SNK in general are really cool devs and I hold hope that this is not a baseless promise.

• Wedge says:

SNK has never, ever, ever, EVER released anything with remotely decent netcode. So not holding out hope for this, but it would be amazing if they stopped being retarded and hired someone to get some GGPO style netcode in there.

• Baines says:

GGPO has already been denied.

Odds are the net code may be slightly better than the console version, but will still be awful.

8. Totally heterosexual says:

Hell to fuck yes. Best news of the year.

“Help me out: is this one of those fighting games where the players count each step in animation? Are people building their own custom arcade sticks to play it? In the grand scheme of arcade fighting games, where does KoF stand? I aim to be educated.”
    Yes, yes and top tier. Kof is the best.

9. Captain Joyless says:

Man, I would love to PLAY a fighting game, but I’m getting more than my fix from just watching saltybet.com, which is a hilarious MUGEN stream of CPU v CPU fights with play money betting.

Lots of old-school imports from KOF and MvC as well some hilarious originals, like Omega Tiger Woods.

• Fiatil says:

Saltybet has become both a substitute for fighting games and has also inspired me to play every fighting game I own over the past two weeks. It is the best silly fun imaginable.

10. timethor says:

I really dig the artstyle and general look of the game, but I’m not sure buying another fighter is a smart idea if I want to graduate this century (bought SSF4 as my first fighting game last year. Spend 600 hours with a single character and still suck. And apparently in this game you need to learn how to use a team of 3? o_0)

• Renato Costa says:

Though the specifics may differ from game to game, the basics should usually stay ingrained in your brain. So if you learned poking, footsies, not jumping in like a madman, cancelling stuff, spacing your char correctly, you usually can pick up and midly play anything for some jolly good time. It’s like that: you get a thousand FGs, and settle for trying mastery in those you really hit off after playing for a while (In my case, SFIV, that I play since 2009 and still suck terribly and P4 Arena).

• Wedge says:

This is KoF sir, there is quite a bit of jumping in like a madman. Or hopping as it were.

• Renato Costa says:

I guess I meant more on a Street Fighter perspective. Like, if you are in the perfect distance to eat an anti-air and jump, get punished, jump, get punished again, ad infinitum, you didn’t get part of the basics of FGs. I’m sure you did that with a friend trying to get them to learn without preaching too much. Though you are right, there is a lot of madman hopping + CD in general

11. Emeraude says:

Hopefully it does not stay limited to Steam.

I’d really like to give some more money to SNK.

12. Laythe_AD says:

I’m very much a Guilty Gear and Blazblue man, so I too would like to know how this compares. Also to Virtua Fighter 5, which is more or less the king of the genre, in terms of balance, and the skill required. (Frankly, I’m just not good enough at it.)

13. tomek says:

I like this but id rather have “The Last Blade” or “Garou: MOTW”. Well theres still emulators ^^

• Eight Rooks says:

Last Blade 2 is the greatest 2D fighting game ever made. SCIENCE. But hey, KoF 13 will do nicely.

Also, shame on apparently every gaming site (well, the good ones) other than USGamer for not pointing out 1) Yatagarasu exists, and 2) cleared its Indiegogo funding to provide us with a beefed-up localised English PC release. (Or maybe it was in a Kickstarter Katchup here and I missed it.) A new 2D doujin fighter from ex-SNK staff with an English port and professional polish? Uh yes please. God, at this rate they really will be resurrecting Last Blade and Garou on PCs.

• Renato Costa says:

I got Yatagarasu from the Groupees bundle and was not amused. The amount of characters that amount to pallete swaps is incredibly high (Kou/Crow/Last Boss and those two chicks that use Iaijutsu in a melee fighting game), also the movesets and general disposition of the characters is really generic (the main char has a hadouken, a tatsumaki, and a shouryuken. The grappler has the close range 360 w/ punch and the far reaching 360 with feet. The monk that goes to town using rekkas and that shouryu straight from one of kim’s sons in garou. The Boxer that plays like a lamer / less classy version of Dudley and is called Jet). I had some hype, but it didn’t stay after playing for a few hours.

• Eight Rooks says:

Yeah, I admit that even for an unskilled player like myself I’ve dabbled with enough different franchises that after a few matches I quickly thought “I really like the art, and it controls well, but it’s… not the most imaginative game going, is it?”. At the same time I play fighting games because of the production design, the characters, the backstory as much as anything else, so Street Fighter simply doesn’t interest me, and there’s precious little else on PC. (I don’t use emulators, I’m not into Mugen, and I’m not buying BlazBlue again if Arc seem to have no real interest in the platform.) Maybe when I get this it’ll drive all other games from my head? But I’m still having fun with Yatagarasu for now.

• Renato Costa says:

Though I guess remixing Tokido or KSK when a round/bout ends doesn’t seem to get old. At all.

• Emeraude says:

I’d love a new version of The Rumble Fish myself.

Lovely game that needed a bit more iterating.

14. Serpok says:

I got excited and went to its wiki page only to find out that Vanessa is in roster no more.

Does KoF13 has any other pugilists avaliable?

• Renato Costa says:

Sadly, in the strict sense of a boxer, no. Maybe Shen Woo that is more a brawler than a boxer. She was my favorite in the 2002 era too =/. Even Yori got ripped off his flames and uses a claw style (there is EX Yori that uses flame, though it’s not cannon).

15. DerNebel says:

If “vastly improved” means “GGPO-levels of good”, then this game is a great pickup for people who find themselves not QUITE clicking with SF4.

It is overall very similar, but has some rolls and every character runs instead of dashes. It really plays alot like a meterdriven 2d tekken, jockeying for position a lot running back and forth and then suddenly pouncing.

It is also one of the most tense games on a big stage for some reason. For the last two years the finals for this game at EVO has been extermely exciting.

• timethor says:

From just watching a few videos, the game does seem to play somewhat similar to SSF4: people actually staying on the ground, poking, relatively short combos..

..when I tried to watch Marvel, all I could see was guys flying across the screen exchanging 50 hit combos >_>

• Phendron says:

MvC is all about big flashy Touch of Death combos. SFIV and KoF are more rewarding by my standards because there is generally more time for strategy and good fundamentals.

• Ringwraith says:

MvC3 has too much going on I find, and there’s simply not enough screen space to spread it out.
        From a novice standpoint, it is not a great thing to watch, as it’s very difficult to follow exactly what is happening.
        Also, hit counters can be deceptive sometimes, due to some things being multi-hit moves and ones with larger counters can do very little damage per hit. I know at least one basic super in a fighting game which does 38 hits by itself.

• Baines says:

Combo counters have almost always been fairly meaningless. They exist as a reward mechanism to feed players’ egos, making the players feel better and more capable regardless of reality. (I saw regardless of reality because the counters aren’t connected to damage. Actually, that isn’t true. With damage scaling, a higher counter means you are actually doing *less* damage.) They also exist to make a game feel more dynamic and action packed. Everyone landing a single hit for 40% life just doesn’t have the action appeal of seeing “7 Hits!” pop up on the screen as a single move hits seven times for 40% life.

It is actually one of the issues I have with fighting games, something I think has been a negative influence. The appeal of seeing a rather arbitrary hit counter increase has driven games more and more towards long multi-hit combos. In the early days, two hit combos were a special feature, and three or four hit combos could be game winners. At the same time, lone moves could also be damaging. Combos gave you an advantage, but outside of stuff like the Touch of Death, you could still lose to someone who didn’t do them. But these days, if you can’t rack up at least 30 hits chaining into a super, then people find the game boring.

Players love combos because they make the players feel powerful, players can see immediate rewards from practicing them solo for hours, and they offer a major advantage over people who don’t spend that time learning them (because as games allowed larger combos, they also reduced basic damage to compensate). Games went from being entirely playing against your opponent to half about playing against your opponent and half a game of solitaire as you execute your combos. Yes, there can be a challenge to successfully executing a 25 move corner 100% combo, but you aren’t really playing against the other player after you land the first hit, you are playing a solitaire rhythm game until you either finish or fail.

16. Phendron says:

In the grand hierarchy of fighting games, KoF XIII stands as the one requiring the most technical finesse to play competitively.

• Ringwraith says:

Inherently team fighters are anyway due to having to learn multiple characters as opposed to just one.
      Anything with assists suddenly gets more complicated.

shinygerbil says:

Of this generation, KOF comes close, but I think Tekken Tag Tournament 2 players (or even Virtua Fighter 5 players) would like a word with you.

Shoutouts also to Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R, whose name requires more technical finesse to say than some simpler fighting games require to play.

Put it this way: top Tekken players have actually complained that TTT2 is just too hard to play competitively.

Edit: Also, Ringwraith, this game doesn’t actually have assists; the characters face off one by one, “Pokemon-style”.

• Ringwraith says:

I know it doesn’t, hence why I included it on another line.
        Team fighters = more to learn.
        Assists in those = even more to learn.

shinygerbil says:

OK, wasn’t sure if you knew or not. :p

The PC crowd can be a bit undereducated when it comes to fighting games!

• Ringwraith says:

I don’t play many fighting games, but I have a habit of picking up a lot of random bits of information.
            Plus I have consoles for those exclusives, which of course are mostly games of Japanese origin.

Though for some reason I own two versions of SSFIVAE, and I forget why. I’m not even remotely passable.

17. cdx00 says:

I am a huge SNK fighter fan. I have always felt the KoF series to be far superior to Street Fighter in terms of gameplay, lore and character selection. I bought a Neo Geo cab with KoF ’98 that is still under heavy rotation to this day. I am hoping that they release a demo for this game, as King of Fighters is still rather foreign outside of the fight game niche. The past few to grace consoles have been OK at best, the latest and greatest being a remake of KoF ’98 called King of Fighters ’98 Ultimate Match.

If you like fighters, do not like turtling, dynamic characters, I implore that you give this a shot. I know it won’t sell well but I’ve already got my pre-order in. It’s great to see these games coming to PC.

• cdx00 says:

also, Mark of the Wolves > Third Strike

play it and tell me that I am wrong

• Renato Costa says:

Garou has Freeman. 3S has Q. It is a tough match, indeed, though I tend to like 3S more.

• ZyloMarkIII says:

It’s good to see fellow SNK fans rejoice when a King of Fighters title is to be released on PC. KoF ’98 was my entry into the series and I thought to myself how I missed this gem. The most impressive part of the game to me was how they actually composed quality musical tracks within the development cycles (of under a year, I believe) for each new entry in the KoF series from ’94 to ’03. I’m hopeful that this game fares well so that SNK can port more titles to the PC. And as another post above said, KoF has international appeal, especially in Mexico.

18. Lionmaruu says:

Thats excelent news!

IF the game plays like the console or arcade edition it will be a GREAT addition to PC games.

The King of fighters is one of the best fighting games in the world and the one I would miss the most on PC(since SF is already here). Apart from the fact that it was already emulated, and available since the arcade edition launch, having the official version is very good, hoping for a decent Samurai Spirits game now (like SS IV, and for PC! one can only hope).

apart from one or another exclusive game, fighting games are the biggest reason to bother with consoles in my opinion.