Today Is The (Pay)day (2): Launch Trailer Within

By Craig Pearson on August 13th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

I wonder if it's just this part of the world that's frozen, or if it's the whole world? What I'm saying is: somewhere out there is a poo hanging in mid air. Ew.
Payday 2, Overkill’s co-operative heist ‘em up, eventually had to come out with its hands up, and they’ve decided today is that day. They’ve chosen to let us know with a launch trailer, and actually released it on launch day. That’s a rarity for the games industry. It is one of those frozen moment type deals, where the action of a heist has been stopped in the most cinematically pleasing way and the camera zooms around to take it all in: bullets are caught in the air like bubbles in ice, blood spurts from wounds like the red branches from a meat tree, police dropping like Del Boy* at a bar when someone has paused a DVD of “TV’s 100 Greatest Del Boys Falling Through The Bar”. It is embedded below.

Now everyone can join in on the bad fun and commit crimes. Has anyone been playing it? I had an odd moment the other day when I was messing about: amidst all the guard murdering, police shooting, and civilian traumatising, I was asked to ferry some cocaine to its destination. I instantly became one of those hypocrite criminals who didn’t want to “deal with that kind of malarky”. My honest, murderous criminalising was tainted as I was forced to carry the blanca poison to its destination. I was glad when we failed that mission, I tell you. I then quit out and never returned to my life of crime, though I did play some Grand Theft Auto IV multiplayer.

Payday 2 is out today, and it’s pretty decent and has nice guns.

*For the readers not aware of this moment, it is from the UK telebox show “Only Fools & Horses”. It has appeared on every show that lists other TV shows.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

Top comments

1. Yargh says:

join Rock, Payday, Shotgun (RP2S) and play with people you can trust (to open fire the moment the level loads)

1. Luringen says:

It’s very fun with friends, mediocre with strangers, horrible with the AI (it’s great for replacing quitters, but it can’t do objectives or anything else than walking and shooting).

• HisMastersVoice says:

Yeah, don’t bother with the AI. It’s demented.

• ramirezfm says:

Actually don’t bother with strangers, they are demented. At least with AI you know where you stand, they will shoot and shoot and shoot, and shoot… and that’s basically that. Random strangers? They can do anything, randomly, shoot you, shoot civilians, just run around alerting everyone or, that’s a very slim or though, actually go on with the heist.

• HisMastersVoice says:

I treat people I don’t know as AI.

• mwoody says:

I start every round with strangers with “You’re walking through the desert and you see a turtle on its back, struggling. You don’t help it. Why is that?” So far, everyone has failed.

• Sarkhan Lol says:

Well, the canonical answer would be to shoot you in the solar plexus, so perhaps that’s for the best.

• S Jay says:

Because it is the desert, must be a mirage.

• Lunarpac says:

I actually prefer playing with the AI. I’d rather enter missions knowing that my teammates have no idea that they’re doing (AI) than find it out after 5s when 3 people go for stealth on a normal jewelery store run. At least I don’t have to rely on the AI to complete the mission in any way (i.e getting in the escape van). Playing with randoms at this point is the safest way, besides bacon, to suffer a heart attack real quick.

2. Dude (Darloc) says:

I had more fun than expected with the beta, and surprisingly some very well behave pub team where every one was working toward succeeding in the heist. Did not manage to pull a stealth heist with a random team but the game is really fun, looking forward to play new heist!

• stupid_mcgee says:

I pulled a few off. It’s a healthy mix of planning, preparation, and luck. Even the best laid plans can go wrong, so nothing is ever guaranteed.

• grundus says:

Yeah, I played with some randoms earlier on and while we didn’t gel as a team at first (in the easy heists from the beta), by the time we got to day three on that art one we had two guys covering one area and the other two running errands (this may make more sense to those who have played it, but spoilers), then at the end it all went to hell and I was the only one to make it out alive.

Then we got paid about the same as we would’ve done had we just played the jewellery store on hard. OH WELL!

3. dE says:

Old habits die hard, the game has been out for a small handful of hours and already people are kicking players because of “low level noob”. I guess it’s easy to spot the PD1 players…

• Tazer says:

This is so frustrating. I really don’t like that attitude, and it’s something that made Payday 1 really hard to get into, because I bought it a year later during a sale and everyone was max levels.

• ch4os1337 says:

You couldn’t play with friends? Also everybody’s max level because it takes only a few days to max.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Unfortunately, you get it in every online game. Ditch that group, and join up with another group. They probably weren’t worth playing with anyways. It can also sometimes be because you’re joining something way out of your leagues. EG: joining Rats on Very Hard at level 3.

Play around, you’ll find people. The community, IMO, isn’t any worse than any other game, and not the worst by a long shot.

4. Yargh says:

5. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Is there an add bicarb and water and stick in the microwave option on the courier quest?

6. BobbyDylan says:

The Metro LL trailer was better.

7. Kobest says:

The final version is a bit buggy as of now: I had myself and friends disconnect right after we finished a heist so we couldn’t get the experience and the money.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the beta tremendously, and can’t wait to dive in a bit more! :) I recommend it if you have some friends to play with. Nice people are not that difficult to play with: on many occasions, I ended up with nice partners, added them as Steam friends, and now we play all the time!

• pez2k says:

There’s already a patch out in the hopes of sorting out the disconnects and end-of-heist crashes – it’s improved things for me at least.

• nrvsNRG says:

yeah…was very shaky the first couple hours,tis much better now tho.

• Kobest says:

Yep, that was my experience as well. I tried it out an hour after it came out, then had a break, went back to it in the evening, and all was fine. :)

8. Lusketrollet says:

At least you admit it’s deeply hypocritical.

9. jonahcutter says:

I fell in love with the first one and played it extensively.

The rpg elements and random weapon mod drop system are killing Payday 2 for me. The class system and skills are a mess, with two of the classes being arguably a detriment to bring along. The rest being a mishmash of stupid skill trees (melee anyone?), mixed together with core heist items that should be accessible to all.

The weapon mod system is painful. If you swap out a weapon mod, you have to pay the same price to reattach it. And it literally costs 100′s of thousands to do things like attach/reattach a suppressor. There’s justified time sinks, and then there’s laughably stupid.

And that is if you manage to get what you need to drop in the silly random card system. Mods will repeatedly drop for weapons you’ll never use for one of the classes you’re forced into using. Or mask colors and patterns will drop. The whole thing feels very controlling, and intentionally set up for you to have to grind. Players are already speedrunning the easiest levels repeatedly just to get chances at the random drop system. That kind of behavior is going to create huge friction between different elements of the playerbase. That’s not the fault of the players. It’s the fault of the design. It’s the antithesis of anything fun.

Overkill themselves developed a reputation as being extremely involved and responsive to the community. But the issues of the class and random drop systems have been raised repeatedly, garnering hundreds of posts, including some of the highest profile groups and players, and Overkill has basically gone silent on the issues. They don’t seem the same company since being bought out by Starbreeze.

The shooting and heist mechanics are still fun, with some improvements and welcome new wrinkles. But the random drop cards, classes and repeat payments for mod swapping are huge, aggravating, unfun messes.

As a huge fan it’s sad for me to say, but with Space Hulk and Sir right around the corner, and several great games recently released, Payday 2 has gotten bumped way down the queue of things to play.

• Ringwraith says:

Though the having to pay for them when removed is incredibly stupid. Usually cheaper to just buy a duplicate gun and have two different ones, which seems to be missing the point a little bit.

• DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

“They fixed the ‘modifications for weapons you never use’ problem as you will now only get things for guns you own.”

Like hell

• Ringwraith says:

I’m guessing it still throws out random parts now and again then.
          Eh, I had fun with just the game itself anyway, but that’s because the core game is better than the first, and I already enjoyed that. I’m easy to entertain sometimes.

• notlimahc says:

It’s limited to guns you’ve unlocked the ability to purchase. So you won’t get shotgun mods at level 1, but once you’re levelled up you’ll get mods for guns you have no intention of using.

10. deadly.by.design says:

Somehow, murdering people in Hitman or GTA IV seems less malicious than a game completely built around the act of robbing banks. I guess that’s because Agent 47 might be hitting some really bad dudes, or Nico might only spend a fraction of his time involved in wanton mayhem. You know, he goes bowling with Roman pretty often and is just doing what he can to make ends meet… or something.

It’s not like shooting ‘bad guys’ bothers me in most games, so it’s that distinction that I don’t like being the bad guy. Maybe a little? Maybe not enough to keep me from playing this? I’m not sure yet. It’s not a moral judgement about anyone else who would or wouldn’t play the game, but just me trying to figure out whether it bothers me or not.

I guess it’s kind of silly to say, considering I played Hotline Miami. To be fair, I guess you’re only killing Russian mobsters and fellow psychopaths in that. So, there we have it again — it’s anti-hero versus what could be considered straight up villainy. Maybe it’s not so much being the bad guy as it is being one without some kind of rational justification for the character’s acts. It’s like watching a movie — we root for the criminal when he’s forced into that role by either coercion or dire financial need, but hate them when they’re simply career criminals.

It’s a funny line, isn’t it? Or am I the only one? At the end of the day, though, I’d probably still play it as long as it’s with 3 other friends. Good co-op is just that addictive.

• Dude (Darloc) says:

In hotline at one point you kill a lot of cops too.
      yes the game place you in a criminal shoes, I do not really have a problem with that, the voice acting is quite good and doing bad things in coop is really fun. I actually always feel a little uneasy shooting the poor patrol cops coming first, somehow they seem more human than the faceless SWAT and FBI.

• Ringwraith says:

That, and they are so obviously woefully unprepared for what they have just walked into.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Go Mastermind and turn them against their brethren. :D

• Geen says:

I still don’t quite understand how that works.
          “Oy, cop-man, go shoot your buddies and we won’t shoot you!”

• Ringwraith says:

That always struck me as being one of the weirder ones.
            Though the skill is called “Joker”…

• Bedeage says:

I’m with you on this. To play as a soldier, killing other soldiers, is ok with me. Playing as a criminal, murdering police officers, is not. While I’m confident the fundamental mechanics are excellent and worthy of praise, the setting is more important. Perhaps I’m uncomfortable with it because I know some police, and have had family in the force, but I think there is more to it than that.

There is a strong vein of anti-establishmentism running through the internet, which is excellent. Governments and institutions cannot be trusted far. To glorify the cold-blooded murder of those who are sworn to protect us goes beyond this; it is not moral. All our thoughts and actions reflect who we are, and develop who we are, and it is time people stopped arguing that virtual actions have no relation with the real self (though obvs not suggesting that Payday 2 players are becoming murderous police-killers).

• Stuka_JU87 says:

I would like you to be aware that a sizeable proportion of people see the police as nothing more than criminals and/or cold blooded murders themselves but with immunity from the laws that the rest of us follow.

• DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

You have no problem playing a soldier spreading freedom and american bullets to brown foreigners everywhere but killing cops are an issue? I’d root for a bank robber long before I’d ever root for a soldier, somebody who volunteers to go be a killing tool for the government, yet they’re treated as heroes, often by people who otherwise complain about how the government can’t do anything right. Bank robbers actually don’t want to hurt anyone.

Besides, I doubt you kill as many cops in single Payday 2 heist as there are dogs murdered by SWAT teams per year. I’m not going to feel bad about a few virtual dog killers getting bumped off.

11. Deadly Sinner says:

I’m sad that they apparently turned Hoxton American. As an American, I loved playing as the skinny British guy with slicked back hair.

12. GameDreamer says:

For anyone who has played the BETA, this game is SUPER fun and this is GREAT news!

Free CD Key