Saints Row IV Dev Diary Explains A Few Things

By Jim Rossignol on August 14th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

In just three hours John’s opinions on Saints Row IV will be unleashed on the internet. I have rarely seen him this excited, and that means something. It might be possible to uncover a few clues as to the meaning of his strange behaviour by watching the latest Volition dev diary for their insane opus, which I’ve gingerly placed below this post, hoping not to crease or otherwise mar its splendid attire before the big day.

Do NOT watch this video is you are in any way squeamish or at work. I mean, you could, I’m just not advising it. Who am I now, your mother? I could be, for all you know. Have you called her lately?

The game arrives on the 23rd of this month. Find out what John thinks of it at 2pm UK. Please watch this repeatedly to pass the time:

, , .

1. BTAxis says:

It’s great for everyone! Except, you know, Australia.

• Drake Sigar says:

As they’ve stressed, it’s exactly the same experience. Minus half an hour of gameplay and the ability to play with anyone outside of Australia.

Exactly the same.

• Tuhalu says:

Whelp, I’m already glad the Rectifier got hidden in DLC now. I hadn’t heard about the tongue….

• Hahaha says:

Fuck this games DLC and that’s from someone who hasn’t even looked at how it’s being done after the bs that was 3s

2. Chalky says:

Spoilers: John liked it! Twitter told me!

I’m rather looking forward to his review of it as well, I’m struggling to decide whether or not it’ll be different enough from SR3 to justify buying.

3. RaoulDuke says:

“We don’t want the player to jump through our hoop’s, we want to jump through the players hoop’s”

This is the most disturbing sentence I’ve heard in a while.

Harlander says:

Explains why they wanted to have an anal probe weapon, though

• Spongbo says:

Even more disturbing when you write it with the apostrophes like that.

4. Schiraman says:

I’m almost excited for this game, but two things are holding me back:

1) SR3 was crazy and fun, but it was pretty hollow in terms of gameplay and fell short of SR2 IMO.
    2) For some demented reason SR4 is substantially more expensive on PC than on console. WTF?

If I can get the PS3 version for £30 on Amazon, I’m not paying £40 to get it on Steam. And that means I’m not getting it at all. What a shame.

• Pich says:

People still buy games outside of sales?

• mouton says:

Yes. Sometimes a game is a truly wonderful experience and thus deserves more money, if personal budget allows.

• Cyberpope says:

well for what its worth its £36 on steam if you own 3 already and you can get it from GAME for £35. I agree with you thought with this and rome 2 it feels like publishers are testing the water with pricier PC games at launch

• bstard says:

Who said the days of charm and wierd currencies is gone? “This one costed 100k Burundi Francs!”

• Schiraman says:

When I see it on sale for £25 or less, I’ll consider it. But I’m not paying a premium to get the PC version when it costs the publishers _less_!

• try_lee says:

You can buy it from game for £35, apparently, but if you check the details on their website the release date is “TBC-2013″. It will likely be removed soon though, as no DVD release will be coming for a while.

5. RodHope says:

Looks like it controls like Prototype. Which is good because Prototype was ace!

6. Kollega says:

I’m really on the fence about this game. On one hand, it looks like there are many more crazy weapons than in the vanilla version of the third part, and superpowers look pretty appealing. On the other, it just seems like more of the same, with the same boring city, same gameplay mechanics, and less breadth than Saints Row 2 or GTA: San Andreas. All in all, i’m thinking to just wait untill Saints Row 5.

7. granderojo says:

I love just how baroque they’ve gotten in iterating past games theme with mechanics popularized by other cult classic games. Really looking forward to this one.

8. Stevostin says:

This really is appealing.

9. S Jay says:

Dubstep weapon sounds great.

10. Gwilym says:

This put a huge grin on my face after the self-righteous po I got from the Witcher trailer.

And I can’t believe I’ve never heard the HELLO HUMAN(s) gag before. It’s brilliant.

11. Alexander says:

Watching this at work. You’re not my mother. I don’t generally call her, although I should.

12. ostrich160 says:

Soooo looking forward to this. I like my serious games like EVE and Arma, but with saints row, I can free the 13 year old in me!