The Boy Who Cried: The Wolf Among Us

By Jim Rossignol on August 14th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Telltale seem to have a bit of a swagger about them now. The Walking Dead was pretty good, and they know it. They’re taking that swagger over to The Wolf Among Us, which has a confident new trailer, below. In case you missed the excitement, it’s a new episode series based on the Fables comic book series – with you playing as Bigby Wolf – and it’s coming up towards the end of this year. Perhaps not my sort of thing – I never did truly respect a point and clicker – but I do like a man with sideburns.

Don’t forget that we already talked to Telltale about the game. They said:

Yeah, the fight sequences are completely over the top. They’re fables, right? They’re hard to kill. One of the things we didn’t want to do was make it feel like it turned into a superhero game. When fights break out, we want you to get excited. You feel the fight coming and you have the controller in your hand, and then the fight gets so over the top that you’re like, “Whoa, hold on, that’s not exactly what I was going for there.”

Stuff like that.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. demicanadian says:

That’s why I’m broke…

2. Noviere says:

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I never really liked the Fables comic much… But I’m hoping that Telltale can match what they achieved in Walking Dead.

phuzz says:

One of my mates just lent me the first four or so comics, I knew I’d heard of the series before, but I couldn’t remember where…

• The Random One says:

I never liked Fables, but I liked the concept. That’s why I’m excited for this game.

3. Hahaha says:

Yay

4. Shodex says:

I never really liked Fables, and I never really liked Telltale.
    The fact that I am so ever very excited for Telltale’s Fables speaks on how good The Walking Dead really was.

• kalirion says:

I’m confused – if you liked The Walking Dead so much, how come you never really liked Telltale?

• DigitalParadox says:

Probably because everything they made prior to The Walking Dead was kind of mediocre.

• JonathanStrange says:

To you maybe, to me the Sam & Max series was a blast. It started out alright but just kept getting better over time till by season 3 I was thoroughly hooked.

• Shodex says:

My first experience with Telltale was through their horrible reboot of Monkey Island, which left a bad taste in my mouth that soiled playing Jurassic Park and Back to the Future. Admittedly I haven’t played any other Telltale stuff, those three turned me off though I do have Sam & Max on Steam for some reason.

My big problem with Telltale was the fact that their adventure game puzzles consist only of finding and clicking on clearly marked objects. Usually with a white dot. This problem was still there in Walking Dead, but it didn’t bother me that much because the story in the game was so good that I just wanted the puzzle sections to end ASAP so I could advance the plot.

I was actually rather cynical about Walking Dead when it was first announced, even ignoring it completely until it was finished. It was only after hearing all of the praise that I checked it out, it quickly made it onto my top 10 games of all time. I don’t think Fables will be as good, but I am still excited. More excited for The Walking Dead S2.

5. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Jim, sideburns are nothing to punching a Klondykesque manbeard whilst simultaneously partaking in a bit of eye gouging, it’s de rigueur for all au courant sideburn aficionados *puts Thesaurus away*

6. Lobotomist says:

Like Fable comic , and love TellTale Walking Dead.

Cant wait for this to come out :)

7. Turkey says:

I wonder if picking up non-capes comic properties for game development will become a trend if TT keeps getting critical acclaim for these things. Vertigo, Dark Horse and Image have a ton of cool properties that you could snatch up pretty cheap. Most of them would probably only work as adventure games, tho, so maybe not.

Rinox says:

Y: The Last Man could totally work as an adventure game or even an RPG.

Ninja Dodo says:

Looks great. More 3D games with unusual art styles, please.

9. Heimdall2061 says: