Beyond Good And EAvil: The Humble Origin Bundle

By Nathan Grayson on August 15th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

I can't turn back now. EA asked me to deliver medicine to all the world's orphans, and deliver medicine I will!

THE WORLD HAS GONE CRAZY. First Activision took some progressive (well, by Activision standards, anyway) steps with Call of Duty, and now EA’s teamed up with Humble Bundle to host a bonkers sale whose proceeds go entirely to charity. It consists of eight titans of electronic artistry (or whatever EA’s “A” actually represents these days) both past and present, which by the mega-publisher’s count comes out to a $215 value. The bundle is, as ever, pay-what-you-want, but this time around highlights include the likes of Mirror’s Edge, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Battlefield 3, and, er, Medal of Honor. Well, they can’t all be winners. Also, some require Origin. But still: ultra-cheap games for some really great causes! It might be EA, but today I must set aside my torchfork and don my giant rubber applauding hand.

The full lineup is (de)composed of Dead Space, Dead Space 3, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Medal of Honor, Mirror’s Edge, and – if you beat the average – Battlefield 3 and The Sims 3. As of writing, the average was below $5. I made this face O_O

And while a few of the games require Origin, EA’s also offering Steam keys for Dead Space, Crysis 2, Burnout Paradise, Medal of Honor, and Mirror’s Edge. Yes, there’s still a rather musky odor of brownie-point-baking (not to mention marketing) to this, but EA could’ve been a lot more halfhearted about the whole effort.

Should you donate, all funds that would normally be siphoned into EA’s mighty money maw will instead be distributed among the Human Rights Campaign, Watsi, the San Francisco AIDS Foundation, the American Red Cross, and the American Cancer Society in whatever distribution you wish.

So probably get on that. There’s still about two weeks left until the world goes back to normal, but it’s often a case of “the sooner, the better” with these things. Speaking of, I’m now off to see if Zynga CEO Don Mattrick will donate one of his private jets to my benevolent non-profit which seeks to take all of Zynga’s games and hurl them into the ocean.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. elevown says:

Thats a rather amazing bundle- even if you already have most of them- Gonna get it just for deadspace 3 which i never got round to.

Even if they ARE doing it for browny points and to get people using origin, its cool that its ALL going to charity- and too good to pass up.

• Shuck says:

My problem is not only do I own a number of these, but despite having had them for quite a while, I still haven’t played any of them. I can’t really think about buying Dead Space 3, for example, when I still haven’t even played 1…

• elevown says:

Well, the deal lasts 2 weeks- you can finish deadspace 1 easy in a week then buy this bundle if you realy liked it. Im sure you can save it till you find a good deal on ds2 and play it.

• frightlever says:

“I can’t really think about buying Dead Space 3, for example, when I still haven’t even played 1…”

Pay what you want gets you Dead Space 3 – unless you’re waiting for someone to hand it to you wrapped in money, do you think there’s ever going to be a better deal than that?

• motoki says:

You’ve just described 98% of my embarrassingly large digital games collection. I may have a bit of a problem. :-P

Really though these sort of limited time crazy deals encourage that sort of thing. If you think there’s even a slight chance you might want to play these games at some future date you might as well just pay at least the dollar now because you won’t see a deal like that again, or so I tell myself.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I got it just for the Sims 3 (sadly the only Mac game available), but given that it (still!) sells for £40, that’s not bad.

EDIT: I’m still horrified by how much money it’s possible to spend on DLC though.

• Wisq says:

And also how much time installing them. Seriously, if you actually buy all the expansions (at least on CD, not sure about Origin), and especially if you buy all the Stuff Packs, the install process is pretty ridiculous, with a separate installer + patch process for every single one. You pretty much have to devote upwards of a whole afternoon to it, depending on computer speed.

And god forbid you mess up your install and have to reinstall it, because then you have to run all the uninstallers, too. And Windows won’t let you run more than one at once, and there’s an extra delay after one ends before it’ll let you launch the next, and …

Really makes you appreciate how Steam has done away with installers, and with complete reinstalls in the case of corrupted installs. Also really makes it annoying that they only sold the Sims 3 Complete bundle for a very brief time when they first introduced it to Steam.

• Gnoupi says:

This, and the fact that it again doesn’t hold the volume. The original game runs perfectly smooth, but try to install several expansion packs and you’ll spend loooong moments at the loading screen, and the general performance of the game will go lower.

• realitysconcierge says:

With the potential of bugs and crashes growing ever higher.

• djbriandamage says:

I love Sims 3 as much as I love tinkering with and breaking my computer. Thus, reinstalling our 16 discs is a frequent nightmare.

The infuriating thing about Sims installation is that the game itself takes very little time to install; it’s the multilingual HTML help files – hundreds of tiny files – that take an eternity to copy from DVD. I don’t read the help files in the one language I do speak so gimmie a break, EA!

If you have to install the game as often as I do follow my example – rip the discs to ISO (Daemon Tools does a great job) and install off your hard drive. The biggest expansion takes maybe 10 seconds versus 7 or 8 minutes from DVD. Of course this means I have 60GB of ISOs in this directory but it’s a real timesaver. Note that you’ll still need the original disc in your drive to play.

Or I hear you can register your serials with Origin to play disk-free, but who uses that? They should make a Humble Bundle or something to drum up interest.

• Grey Poupon says:

That’s exactly what EA’s counting on. Sell the base game for little to no lego blocks and cash in with the DLC. A bit like how it goes with the f2p games.

• TwwIX says:

They do that with all of their franchises. Look at what they have done with the Battlefield franchise. These assholes would charge you for bullets and reloads if they could find a good profit in it.

• Ross Angus says:

That’s “charitable assholes”.

• Deadly Sinner says:

What are you talking about? Battlefield has had paid DLC (minus the DL) since 1942.

• Sunny Boy says:

As much as I dislike EA, I can’t see what’s wrong with the BF3 DLC approach. You get a full game with a singleplayer campaign, co-op missions and a pretty decent multiplayer with a nice mix of 9 maps – all of them are still played – , modes and weapons to be the reason for lasting fun quite a while.
            If you like BF2, you can get the Back to Karkand DLC with re-done BF2 maps.
            If you somehow mistakenly bought BF3 instead of CoD and still don’t want to buy CoD, you can buy Close Quarters.
            And… if you like Battlefield 3, you probably like the other DLCs as well. If you want everything, you can buy premium which was another 50 bucks or so when it came out, and you’d get every DLC – that’s another 20 – TWENTY – Maps and some modes you may or may not like.
            That’s 2,50 per map (or was it 60 bucks? then 3,00 of course). I don’t find that particularly expensive.

Enough of me sounding like a happy telemarketer – I still don’t like Origin much, EA neither (haven’t bought anything from them for nearly two years now), I just don’t get why you picked Battlefield in particular.

• Arona Daal says:

Love the Fact that you have to go to a Separate Website to redeem the Sims Code.

Also discovered that i have an old Bf 2142 Expansion pack in Origin,so it tried to put my Bf 2142 Key also on Origin.

Didn´t work. So i went to an EA Website allowing to put games from before 2008 on Origin.

Well …. Games before 2008 *except* Bf 2142.

Then went to Ea Help.After searching i found out that Email and Chatsupport for Origin had been removed.
        At that Point i had my Fill and gave up.

*Yep*….

that´s the EA i remember.

• sabasNL says:

That’s akwkward; I activated BF2142 on Origin and it works smoothly

• Arona Daal says:

A boxed copy from before 2008?

Can you tell me exactly how and where?

• Koozer says:

I would also like to know how you managed this feat.

• araneldon says:

Try this link to register your older games in Origin. I used it to register Mass Effect not long ago.

Also I don’t understand why you would install from disk instead of Origin if you have a decent internet connection. The digital download version of The Sims 3 doesn’t require Origin to run.

• flang says:

EA’s chat support was the one feature they had that distinguished them from Steam. So much for that, I guess.

There’s also still the outstanding matter of the Origin client pouring through your hard drive and digging through all of your personal files, NSA-style. EA never did give a clear answer as to exactly what they information they are gathering through that process.

2. Snargelfargen says:

Well that’s the first time I’ve already owned most of the games in the humble bundle. Saves me having to remember yet another download client password, I guess.

What was the verdict on Dead Space 3? Still haven’t played 2, but the first was great fun.

• elevown says:

Dont see why it would save you anything to NOT get this bundle. For even ONE game- youd save 20 quid or more on just dead space 3. which registers on steam i think so no need of another client.

DS3 is probably worse than 1 and 2 except graphicaly but not a bad game at all is my impression.

Also if you have all these games on orgin you can always just ignore them- as long as you have your humble bundle password safe you can always get to them one day if your physical disks die or whatever.

• HadToLogin says:

DS3, along with Sims and BF3, is Origin-Exclusive.

• Snargelfargen says:

“Dont see why it would save you anything to NOT get this bundle.”

It saves me slightly under 5$.

Ahhh, sale logic. I’m guilty of it too, which is why I already have a giant backlog of games to go through. Think I’ll keep an eye out for DS2 though, I might jump on the deal if they add it to the bundle.

• BTAxis says:

This, plus there aren’t any games in there that I have any interest in whatsoever. As great a deal as it may be, I think I’ll pass.

• mouton says:

Especially when so many people buy the bundles and never play most – or all – of the games included.

• povu says:

Also, charity.

• AngusPrune says:

Put it this way, there’s a reason why Dead Space 2 isn’t in the bundle but 3 is. Dead Space 2 is a fairly mediocre shooter, but I suspect it still sells a few copies. The third on the other hand is a complete disaster. If you plan to play it single player, don’t even bother. I still haven’t mustered the patience to finish the game, it’s just that terrible. I feel ripped off and I got it for free thank to the Sim City disaster.

• nekoneko says:

What, really? DS3 is just DS2 again only with completely optional co-op missions and a weird build your own weapon slant that allows you to make some pretty fun stuff. I went through the whole thing solo since no one I knew bought it, and I’m preparing to do all the co-op stuff I missed now that some of my friends own the game thanks to the bundle.

I honestly don’t see how anyone could rate DS2 higher than DS3.

• Jai says:

Then you’re insane. I don’t understand how anyone can NOT rate Dead Space 2 higher than 3 – 2 is clearly the superior game, in every aspect. The gameplay is better, it’s scarier, and the story is better written. There’s a lot of nonsense about Dead Space 2 being an action game, whereas 1 was horror – that’s bull, 2 has more action in it but it’s almost as horror focused as 1.

3, on the other hand, hardly has ANY horror in it in comparison. I’ve just recently re-played the entire trilogy in a few days, and to me 2 stands out as the best – I can understand some people preferring 1, but I can’t see how any rational individual can rate 3 higher than 2. 3 is still a good game, but it’s nowhere near as good as 2, and you’d have to be mentally handicapped to think otherwise.

And 2 is not a “generic shooter”, it’s one of, if not THE best horror-shooters ever made, there was a reason it scored 97%, and 9.9/10 on the harshest of review sites and magazines out there – because it’s exceptional. That doesn’t mean everyone should like it, we all have different tastes and different criteria, different things we look for in a game, whether it be a horror, shooter or any genre – but to dismiss something as “generic” because it doesn’t fulfill YOUR personal criteria, is just pathetic…

3. dolgion1 says:

If you are about to post a whiny or cynical comment: Don’t do it.

• Feldgrau says:

Too late!

• skittles says:

Can I whine that this deal has completely crashed the Origin server. ;D

• kirby_freak says:

Wait, but does the fact that you’re expecting people to be whiny and cynical mean YOU’RE cynical about people being cynical…? Which…. which means that by trying to prevent it, you’ve become what you’re trying to prevent, which means it’s all in vain and so I guess I’ll just go contemplate life now.

• Don Reba says:

Glad to know there is someone keeping us safe from whiny and cynical comments. Well done.

• Splotch says:

But my account got hacked last November and i still haven’t got it back! I am naturally going to blame EA for it :(

Haven’t had the chance to call them because of the time difference in Australia. Maybe i’ll stay up tonight and finally do it………. yes… yes i will :)

4. Feldgrau says:

I couldn’t resist buying it, which makes me a bit of a hypocrite, but I did run the slider so that all the proceeds went to charity. I guess I can admire EA for doing this… but at the same time, massive publisher monstrosities that distribute via platforms that spy on you (Origin) aren’t really in the spirit of the HUMBLE bundles.

• elevown says:

What are you talking about? It all goes to charity anyways. EA are taking nothing without you touching the sliders?

• Feldgrau says:

I mean I cut out the Humble tip and gave EVERYTHING to charity. If they’re going to give me the choice, I’m not going to encourage them to enlist more AAA companies.

• elevown says:

How is it bad to have a megacorp in humble IF they are giving ALL their share to charity? Humble should encourage other big company bundles where they dont take a cut.

• mouton says:

Because megacorps are eeevil and if you touch something that touched a megacrop you are also eeevil and should be ashamed.

• GameCat says:

Why? Bundles are 4x win. Players win, devs win, charities win, humble crew win.
          I will be happy to buy more AAA games for bargain price.

And you can still in any case just give all money to charity.

The only sad thing is that someone will probably buy 50 keys for $1 and then sell them month later on ebay for 10x more.

And it even makes good press for game industry.
          “Videogames players with one major company raised $3 000 000 for charity” looks better than “school shootout, shooter was a huge CoD fan”.

• frightlever says:

So… you’re trying to discourage the Humble Bundle folk from collecting donations worth around $3 million so far (less than 24 hours) to charity because they, the Humble Bundle people, have contravened what you, not one of the Humble Bundle people, think their, the Humble Bundle people, purpose is? That about right?

Your thoughts on what Humble Bundle should be should trump great deals and charity.

Okay then.

• Feldgrau says:

When they give me the choice, I’m going to act how I think things should be. It’s that simple. If they didn’t want me to do that, and felt they were the best judges of who should get my money, they wouldn’t give you the option of choosing now, would they?

AAA Game Publishers have a habit of poisoning everything they touch. Sure, that may be cynical, but I’m entitled to my opinion. My opinion just happens to be that the Humble Bundles should be about the small guy rather than the big multi-billion dollar corp that peddles intrusive DRM.

• revan says:

I do that all the time, not just with this bundle. ;)

• Trelow says:

I gave everything to Humble Bundle.

• cpt_freakout says:

While giving everything to charity is a great thing, don’t all those earnings reduce taxes for EA or something like that? I’m just saying they’re doing a regular corporate practice which in the end is for their own benefit, so no need to admire them. Buy the thing, give to charity, but I would suggest not putting EA on an altar.

• gwathdring says:

Technically, they aren’t earning it and THEN donating it. EA never touches the money, I doubt they get to write it off. Humble on the other hand …

• Vercinger says:

Are you sure about that? The presumption that EA will be getting tax cuts out of it is the primary reason I went with the full $1 to humble tip (the other reason being the charities are horrible). With the intention of giving $0 tip in the next few bundles, to make up for it.

• The Random One says:

Red Cross is horrible? I hope you’re not suggesting Child’s Play and EFF would be better choices, or I’d be forced to scowl at you.

• FhnuZoag says:

No, there is no tax benefit to EA. This is because this is straightforward cash transfer – the effect of tax deductibility is purely that when you donate 10 quid in the bundle, the charity gets the full 10 quid, and no vat is charged, so the government acts as if the money never entered EA’s hands. EA’s situation is similar to that of a sponsored marathon runner – he gets no tax deduction for his provision of that service, aside from material costs.

Tax deduction tricksiness work mainly when the company itself is making a donation of something that is not money – e.g. Property or shares. In this case they can fraudulently claim to have donated a lot when the charity will never be able to get the full amount (this is illegal, obviously). If EA was donating copies of BF3 to charity for the charity to sell, then that could be dodgy. But this sort of sale is totally legit, and they will not see a cent of benefit from it.

5. Guvornator says:

Worth pointing out that there’s been some issues with the amount of people trying to redeem their product code on origin causing the redeem tool to flake out. It seems ok now, but if you’re someone who has no patience with origin, this won’t improve your mood…

• Syra says:

Also they changed their homepage so its frustratingly difficult to actually redeem online, and even when you find that it crashes non stop. Took me 2 hours to redeem one game. Origin sucks, but whatever for basically no money its worth it to fly around bf in a blackhawk.

• DougyM says:

Why use the homepage when you can literally open Origin click “origin” in the top left corner, click “redeem product code” then paste the key code into it and have it unlock?

Origin is not shit, it is delusional people who have no clue as to what 643,000+ people trying to register and download 6-8 games some of which are 30gb+ does to a server.

Complaining for the sake of complaining because its big bad evil EA.

• frightlever says:

It’s not like Steam hasn’t buckled in the past.

I have no issues with Origin. Like Steam, I only run it when I need it. I do kinda have an issue with EA conveniently losing a couple of linked games when they amalgamated their various accounts into one Origin log-in, but not that much because they were crap games. Not going back to Spore any time soon.

• HadToLogin says:

Well, it’s EA.

After all those season sales Valve still didn’t learned Steam goes down when new daily sales appear, and everybody loves them even more.

• Optimaximal says:

It’s not ‘Valve not learning’, its the fact that Valve run their web servers like all other companies run scaling/on-demand web servers, where new servers are commissioned on demand.

The automatic systems just cannot cope with sudden extreme spikes, which is why it all sorts itself at 6:01 once the new servers are spun out…

The second a human has to step in to predict the spike and manually commission servers, you’re doing it wrong.

• slight says:

If Valve’s using elastic provisioning and their provisioning code doesn’t take into account all the totally predictable spikes caused by sales and game releases where the precise timing is known then they certainly are failing to learn. Scaling solely based on demand when you have as much information to hand as Valve do for Steam would be pretty brain dead.

• Guvornator says:

The homepage and standalone Origin both use the same redeem tool, so both were going screwy. Obviously this is just a personal experience, but I’ve never had that issue with Steam, even at the height of the summer sale.

• Arona Daal says:

I could redeem Keys instantly on the Homepage,after failing in Origin several times.

Sims ,for Reasons, needs a separate Page to Redeem its Key though.

• Guvornator says:

I tried both yesterday with the same result of flip all. This morning it was pretty slow, but worked, so hopefully the rush has passed.

Also, the Sims 3 registration business appear to be (EA spread) codswallop. I tried to register my copy on the Sim website as they claimed, only to find I was missing a group of 4 characters (the website demands 20, whereas my key was only 16) so couldn’t validate it. I redeemed it on Origin via the standard redeem tool and it seems to have gone through fine. Worth pointing out that it also comes with 3 bits of DLC (Date Night, Late Night and “High-End Loft Stuff”) so it’s not just the core game.

• marach says:

*facepalm* the extra page redemption for “The Sims 3 Date Night DLC” is for some items from the sims 3 store not sims 3 itself (which is registered through origin)

• Guvornator says:

That’s not what it says on the “Origin Code Redemption FAQ”. It just says:

Note that the above steps do not work with the following titles and exceptions:

The Sims 3 – Your codes have to be redeemed on the Sims website in order to be “registered” in Origin.

Not really seeing the cause to facepalm there.

• marach says:

because it only says that for DATE NIGHT. no seriously it does which is why it’s in it’s own little box, to register sims 3 on origin enter it like all the other codes and it’ll be added to your sims3 account when you first log on

• Guvornator says:

The text in full:-

“Alternatively, head to activate.ea.com, log in to your Origin account and enter your product code on the Redeem Your Code page.
            Note that the above steps do not work with the following titles and exceptions:

Bulletstorm – Bulletstorm cannot be redeemed through Origin and you will need to contact an advisor to have them complete the process. ”

Now obviously I’m fucking idiot, but I don’t remember Bulletstorm being a Sims 3 DLC. Still, I guess you know best…

• bleeters says:

I’m sorry that my consistently terrible experience with Origin over the last few weeks – that being the point where I started using it again, and not related to this sale – makes me delusional.

Maybe I can further delude myself into making the ingame functions work reliably, or the entire program to not crash repeatedly when I’m playing ME3 co-op, causing the game to close immediately. That’d be cool.

• Guvornator says:

Honestly, although I’ve never enjoyed using Origin thanks to slow download times compared to Steam and general clunkiness, I’ve never had it crash on me. This is use over a full blooded gaming desktop and a laptop with a hole in the motherboard, so I think your PC may have another issue. Perhaps a full delete and reinstall might be in order? Update drivers?

• mouton says:

Never crashed for me. Your PC is broken, buy a new one.

• TwwIX says:

Also, good luck launching The Sims 3. It requires an additional 20 digit “Registration Code” and the key you get from HB, a 16 digit key, only adds the game to your Origin account. Yep, a DRM system inside a DRM system. Fuck you, EA and the fucking hoops that i have to jump through to play any of your games!

• marach says:

click the i thats next to play congrats you just found your 20 digit key however please note there was a bug where some people got incorrect 16 digit keys HB and EA know about it and are currently fixing it, should be fixed within 24 hours

6. BreadBitten says:

I must admit, this was an admirable move on EA’s part and I was glad to contribute. =]

• Svardskampe says:

You are actually aware they are trying specifically the base game of Battlefield 3 and SIm 3, so that you would buy Premium from them, and hopefullly some expansion packs for the sims while you’re at it?

Also Dead Space 2 is very “obviously” absent, and me thinks that the only reason they put DS3 in, is because they believe it will sell them some microtransactions.

• Cross says:

Jesus F*cking Christ, man. Would you kindly take off those cynic pants and put on some others for once? Even if they were intending to sell us expansions and DLC off this, they’re still throwing over $200 straight at us for whatever we want, and with no cut for themselves. They are NOT going to profit off this, so SHUT UP.

• gwathdring says:

You’re both right. The’re TOTALLY hoping to sell expansions off of this. but … that doesn’t make it less admirable. Here’s the thing. Their regular business mode gouges customers to an absurd degree. This? They win, sure. But we win too especially if we DON’T want expansions. And Humble wins. And charities win.

So … sure, they get a lot out of this bundle. Including profit.

But we get a great deal. No one gets harmed. This is GOOD business. Admirable indeed.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Admirable? Jesus fucking Christ. If they start doing this every quarter I might consider it admirable. EA has too big of a hole for a tiny little thing like this to be considered admirable. Match my purchase with a donation to charity, EA?

I guess it’s okay that people don’t want cynical posts here, but let’s not have the opposite either. Sure it’s great that we can purchase this bundle for what we want and donate it to charity, but let’s not start sucking EA’s dick over the whole thing.

• fish99 says:

In the long run of course they’re going to profit from it. They’ll get a shitload more Sims 3 expansion pack sales out of this, plus BF3 expansions/DLC, Dead Space 3 DLC etc, and they get a lot of new people onto Origin, where inevitably some of them will spend money. Also the $215 is just based on current Origin non-sale prices, not the best prices you can find these games for.

• Reapy says:

It’s clearly to doc sales and origin use. Bf 4 is coming and sims 3 is a doc trap. Sok though, I owned dead space on 360 from god knows when and didn’t like it too much, but I stayed my hand on a lot of the others, never tried mirrors edge (sequel for that soon, see the trend), sims 3 or bf 3, and here they all are for 5 bucks, nice.

I mean I don’t see any evil here, yes they are going for a profit, but in a decidedly less whorish way than they have in the past, wouldn’t you say?

• fish99 says:

Sure, just I can still see the corporate cynicism in the decision. Even if they didn’t make money from it, you could view it as them trying to buy a better image, therefore leading to more money in the long run. EA only care about their image when it hurts sales, like any corporation.

The other thing I would say about this – people talk about EA giving the money to charity, but it’s not their money, it’s yours. EA are just providing some near worthless codes (since those games presumably aren’t selling anymore) and some bandwidth, and as already discussed generating revenue from DLCs.

Then again I bought the bundle so who am I to criticize.

• FriendlyFire says:

You say that like EA is different from every other corporation ever, including fan favorites like Valve.

• fish99 says:

Well yes Valve are different because they haven’t done all that horrible stuff that got EA their bad name, like buying and closing studios, treating employees like crap etc. Everything I’ve read suggests Valve is a great place to work.

• Magnusm1 says:

Can you believe EA? Trying to make a profit?

7. Fox89 says:

This is super. I don’t care if this is mainly a marketing ploy or whatever. There is no wrong reason to do a good thing, and this is a very good thing.

I own most of the games there already and don’t care too much about the others. But when I get home from work tonight I’m going to buy that bundle for more than the average, because that also seems like a good thing to do.

8. Ahkey says:

It’s a great deal. Don’t count on actually playing any of the Origin titles immediately though, since code redemption has been down for the past 10hrs or so.

9. JiminyJickers says:

Wow, this is a pretty good one, had to get into some of this action.

10. LionsPhil says:

My biggest problem with this is that the Humble Bundles used to be DRM-free; these are not, and for Sims 3, at least, not even “only Steam” DRM.

• jrodman says:

Yes, this is rather sad.

• Strazz says:

The actual Humble Indie Bundles are still DRM-free and available on Linux and OS X though.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I don’t think you could expect EA to recode all of the games to remove the DRM just for this bundle. If there were already DRM-free versions available, I’d wholly agree with you.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Don’t you think it is not just up to EA but also to the HumbleBundle guys?

That aside, I encourage everyone to take a look at the weekly bundle. Introversion this week.

• LionsPhil says:

My expectation, then, would be that the Humble Store would not accept them.

I’m not sure “recode” is the most accurate verb, though; I’ll be surprised if DRM middleware actually digs in quite that deeply. I suspect there’d be way, wayyy more of a business problem there (“oh no we are doing the crackers’ job for them!!1″, weeks or months after they’ve already done it) than technical.

• Flammablezeus says:

There are. Sims 3 has a Steam-only version which is the one I have. A bit annoying that if I buy this I can’t activate the DRM on there. If I activate it on Origin then I’ll be missing the expansion pack that I have on the Steam version.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

That would also mean that any multiplayer game you buy with this “No DRM” would not be playable within the same community as the “legit” DRM buyers. Basically it’d be the pirated (cracked) version that you paid for.

• FriendlyFire says:

That’s really just people’s fault. The Humble Bundle started off with only Humble INDIE Bundles, which are DRM-free, cross-platform and indie. This in no way means that they’re forced never to expand from that. As their reputation grew, they’ve been able to do more, including stuff with big AAA publishers and honestly? Good for them!

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it, but don’t whine about it. It’s entirely their choice and it doesn’t go against anything they’ve said in the past.

• LionsPhil says:

No, and fuck you. The “there must never be any negative feedback” brigade is cordially invited to observe me both not buying it and commenting on my reasons, along with others who feel differently and are buying it and commenting on how much they recommend it.

• Tayh says:

Funny, my copy of Sims 3 is DRM-free. Works without starting Origin – or even have Origin installed.

11. Ninja Foodstuff says:

This really cheered me up after that spelunky review made me depressed.

• RedViv says:

It depressed you because John liked it except for the port being peculiarly weird?

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Tiny development studio gets ripped to shreds for not catering to someone’s idiosyncratic playstyle?

That article should have been written last year, and been about Dark Souls instead.

So yeah, it made me feel depressed. I haven’t played Spelunky, don’t really know much about it, but I don’t think the creators were THAT cynical that they were trying to cash-in on a game that they originally gave away for free to the extent that justified that amount of vitriol. As if games development isn’t hard enough. Woe betide Jim if Sir, You Are Being Hunted doesn’t come with a full complement of graphics and audio settings.

But anyway, now EA has done something good (aside from their continued support of Gay Pride, at least) so balanced is restored.

• viewtifuljon says:

Well, my main problem with it was that he spent the entire review saying “this is so terrible , it’s so much better on the Xbox” even though A) it isn’t, and B) not all of have Xboxs.

Not to mention I was really curious what RPS would say about the new enemies, difficulty level compared to the original, unlockables, etc. A good comparison to the original would have made me very happy.

EDIT: Reading back over the comments I saw John’s explanation of his criticism (WIT of the port, not the game, etc), and I can kinda see where he’s coming from I guess. But seeing as this is the first time most of us have been able to play the new Spelunky, I’d have much rather seen a legit, full-featured WIT rather than a piece that rants about resolutions and other oddities (Mouse whipping? Seriously?).

12. RedViv says:

Cheap games, everything to charity, and EA gets people on Origin. Everybody wins! Except for the One Penny People. They lose. A shred of their Immortal Essence with every cheap-arsed purchase.

• jrodman says:

I do not avoid women, Mandrake…

• frightlever says:

No idea if it applies this time, but isn’t there usually a dollar minimum for Humble Bundles with Steam keys? (I checked a fact. There is! Journalism!)

Oh, and I disagree with your view of morality. If someone is offered a deal and they take it within the terms and conditions of the offer then they are entirely within their rights. Reserve your moral judgement for something a little more important, perhaps.

• elevown says:

That makes no sense- by that logic if a company started offering a great deal on slaves- kidnapped kids for only $10 – and within the terms of the deal you bought them, then you as the buyer would have no mormal responsibility- it would all be on the company selling them??

OK a silly over the top example but thats what you are saying in esence. If you CAN make a killing buying stupidly cheap games then selling them for a lot of profit, at the expense of charity, just because you CAN within the bounds of the deal does NOT make you imune from being judged moraly lacking.

• Berzee says:

“OK a silly over the top example but thats what you are saying in esence.”

That’s not even a little bit what he’s saying in essence. -_- He said that getting cheap dealz isn’t inherently evil, not that getting cheap dealz makes inherently evil purchases good. (I guess I can see how it’s a relevant hyperbole if you think that charitable donations below a certain unspecified minimum are actually sinister, which it sounds like you might do, and I suspect this is a fundamental source of your disagreement with frightlever =P.)

Reselling doesn’t really enter into it, you’re the first person to mention that. =)

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

So if slaves are $10 you should offer to pay $20 because they are too cheap?

• Berzee says:

As long as the profits go to charity, I think? I’m still unraveling the comparison.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

My charity purchases slaves for those who can’t afford their own.

13. Deadly Habit says:

I gave MoH MP a shot earlier and actually found it to be pretty fun.
    Kind of the perfect bundle for people who dislike EA’s business practices, but dig some of the titles in the bundle,
    I previously had boycotted them out of principle, and wasn’t going to pirate in spite of interest in some of the titles.
    Since the money went all to charity it doesn’t exactly financially encourage EA, but on the other hand the devs aren’t seeing anything out of it which sucks.
    There’s a part of me that still is skeptical about the whole thing, just because EA has earned that much ire over the years in my eyes.
    They have to be getting a pretty big tax write off for this on top of the positive PR spin and potential new Origin users.
    Hell they’re probably going to make a nice bit of money on people getting Battlefield 3 DLC and premium since I’m guessing there aren’t a whole lot of bare bones vanilla BF3 servers around (personally will find out once it finishes downloading).
    At least the gesture reminds me of the EA I used to love growing up when booting up classic games on whatever, hell that logo I knew was just on my TV earlier when playing some Road Rash.

• frightlever says:

The devs got paid before the games were released. If you’re that worried, cut a cheque for whoever you want, don’t act like EA are any more evil that the water companies, the electricity generators or the fruit and veg producers that you presumably use without a second thought. God help us if you should ever buy a diamond engagement ring.

• Deadly Habit says:

I have a soapbox for you to stand on somewhere, it was probably assembled by child labor.

Devs get paid minimally while in production, the profits and wages mainly hinge on games sales.

Now excuse me while I care about where blood diamonds come from ON A VIDEO GAME SITE ABOUT VIDEO GAME NEWS AND COMPANIES.

• Berzee says:

RUMORS SPREAD: the next Humble Bundle will add blood diamonds as an accepted form of payment.
          PWYWIBD… =[

• Deadly Habit says:

Here I was hoping I could trade them my first born or relatives kids.

• Berzee says:

If EA is able to decide to give 100% of sales money to charity for these, presumably that means that 100% of sales money already belongs to them and not the developers?

Alternatively, if some of the sales money belongs to the developers, presumably it could not all go to charity unless the developers were also on board with it?

Additionally, I know less about business than saltwater taffy! (You may interpret that either way, and it will remain accurate). So maybe none of the things I said are valid!

• Deadly Habit says:

I’m guessing the devs have little to no say due to corporate legal fu in contracts.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I believe that by purchasing this bundle YOU get the tax write-off, not EA. You would have to pay EA directly and then they make the donation to get the write off.

Also note: It isn’t just DLC but some of these games have micro transactions.

• Berzee says:

Someone should make a game and sell it like normal, but include microtransactions that are entirely charitable donations. Free idea, internet.

• Deadly Habit says:

Well by giving profits to charity, I’m pretty sure they get a corporate tax write off, but yes we could potentially claim it as a write off as well.

14. The Sombrero Kid says:

hoped this meant they’d stored the origin dependency & activation limits out. they haven’t. EA i would put down real money for these games I’ve already played if you’d only sell them to me as opposed to renting them out, idiots.

15. skyturnedred says:

Buying this bundle will require me to update my PC so I can actually play BF3. I bet EA is in cahoots with the component manufacturers to finally get my PC up-to-date.

16. hitoyou says:

No Warfighter? No sale.

17. ColdAsIce says:

How do I get the steam keys for the games listed in the article? Also tried to register some of the games on origin last night but the option to add product code would fail to load.

• Narzhul says:

The key redemption page has an origin and steam tab. Just switch to the other tab to get steam keys.

• revan says:

Register your games through their website. Go to your account and under “Redeem Product Code” you can add the game. As for Steam keys, there should be a second tab “Steam” on the page from which you got Origin keys.

18. Widthwood says:

Really weird game selection. Sims and Battlefield, Burnout paradise and Dead space..

Looks like they simply collected everything they calculated could not make any significant profits anymore, without any regard about overall appeal or target audience of the whole package. Most of the games are old, except for BF3 – which will soon become obsolete, and Dead space 3 – which was a commercial flop.

Not that it isn’t a bargain, of course. But typical EA profit-oriented style of it all is obvious.

• revan says:

To be fair, none of the monies go to EA. Can’t believe I’m defending them.

• Widthwood says:

Yes, sorry. Should have written ‘lack of loss’ :)

In any case, probably not surprising, any big publisher can’t just throw away currently bestselling titles on humble bundle – they have all the numbers and know it will never actually pay off, except for marketing.
        It is just that they could at least make some effort at creating some kind of overall theme of the package.

• frightlever says:

It’s a sampler. The only surprising absence is a sports sim. (actually I take that back – did EA stop releasing sports titles on PC, apart from FIFA?)

• Guvornator says:

Nope, playing (and enjoying) FIFA 13 right now. Lots of fun, even if it is a little buggy (some crashes, also, entertainingly, invisible substitutes if you rematch a game. They’ll never see you coming…)

TBH it’s a bit weird that they didn’t throw in FIFA Manager as it might have been a chance for people playing Football Manager to have a crack on one of it’s competitors.

• marach says:

That would require permission from the rights holders though…

• Widthwood says:

Hmm. Why no RPGs then? and no strategy games, no NFSs… And Dead space 1 & 3 seems like overkill for a sampler – only 1 or 1&2 would be more fitting.

• revan says:

I concur. While they aren’t making any money off this it is still a strategic move because thy are aiming to popularize Origin with this bundle. I am exhibit one. Never installed Origin until today.

None of the monies?
        So if I buy DLC, expansions or micro transactions in these games it goes to Humble and charity?

• DanMan says:

Yeah. I would have gifted this to my little nephew, but he’s still too young for stuff like Dead Space. Not in his opinion, of course.

Personally I’ve got little interest in the bundle since I’ve already got most of the games, and the others I don’t care much about. Will see. Still two weeks left after all.

19. Spoon Of Doom says:

So, maybe someone here can help identify where I’m being stupid.

I managed to redeem some keys before Origin exploded under the load, and downloaded the manliest of all those games first: The Sims 3.
    Now, it downloaded fine, but the installer prompts me for a serial key, which I can’t seem to find. The Humble Bundle redeem key doesn’t work, as it is too short (four characters for the final field are missing). When I check under “game details” in Origin, there is a “product code”, but that’s too short too and, if my eyesight doesn’t betray me, is the same as the humble key I redeemed the game on Origin with.

Does anyone know where I find the serial key to enter the game? A bit of digging told me that usually when you buy a game through Origin, the key is in the confirmation mail and in your order history, but since I didn’t order it through Origin, both don’t exist.

20. revan says:

I was on a hiatus from EA games since “Origin Only” was introduced but I crumbled and bought the bundle when I saw that nothing was going to EA. Even upped my initial price, and to think that I view myself as a selfish bastard. Installed Origin too. Shudder. World has truly turned upside down. Maybe Mayans were right, and the world did end on 21.12.2012. Only not in a way we anticipated.

21. JoeGuy says:

Would be pretty awesome if Crysis 3 was thrown in next week.

• revan says:

Yeah. Dead Space 2 is also conspicuously absent. So there will be more additions to this bundle for sure.

• Optimaximal says:

Dead Space 2 and Crysis + Warhead seem pretty obvious additions. Crysis 3 is a bit too new/still selling well enough.

• Llewyn says:

I think you’re all forgetting SimCity.

Or trying to.

• Deadly Habit says:

I think people would be asking for their money back from the charities if that happened.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

It would be a real kick in the teeth for the people who pre-ordered the as-yet-unreleased Mac version at full price.

• Lieber says:

Am I the only one who thinks that Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are the most likely inclusions? Maybe even Mass Effect 3.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

Personally, I’m hoping for Battlefield 3 DLCs (and maybe some for The Sims 3). But the more realistic part of my brain tells me that this won’t happen because that’s how EA wants to make money from that bundle.

22. Branthog says:

I already own most of these games — even on Origin, which I don’t even use… and yet I still won’t play them.

Since new EA games aren’t put on Steam, I more often tend toward “then I just won’t buy it” than “then I guess I’ll have to go ahead and buy it on Steam”. Especially since EA doesn’t really make any games I care about. Go look at their entire roster of 2012 games and except for Dead Space and Mass Effect, almost everything was football, soccer, and facebook/ios. When I realized just how little they made that I don’t give the slightest fuck about (and then how many of *those* things still turn out to be shit), it was a nice bit of relief . . . because I suddenly didn’t have to give the slightest fuck about all the shitty stuff EA does, anymore.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

This bundle might be worth it for you since you get Steam keys for everything except Dead Space 3 under the average.

23. DrScuttles says:

65p for Dead Space is a pretty good deal. Well, probably. I’ve heard it’s good but the only time I ever tried it the FOV was nauseating. Am I missing something about why there’s no Dead Space 2?

24. rustybroomhandle says:

I guess EA is trying to buy back some goodwill or something.

Only thing is I imagnie a huge amount of these will eb bought up by license key scalpers. It’s a more disgusting version of piracy that.

• Optimaximal says:

If a financial transaction takes place, even a miniscule one, someone somewhere is making money from it. It’s not piracy.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Of course it’s piracy. The selling of counterfeit media is big business. Also, scalping is illegal in many places.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Yeah, it’s more akin to piracy than file sharing at piratebay is

• Malibu Stacey says:

EA doesn’t care about “good will”. EA does however care about it’s corporate tax bill.
      Each sale of this pack they get to claim USD200-300 off their next tax bill. How much does each sale cost them in real terms? Maybe a few cents worth of bandwidth, nothing more.

25. CelticPixel says:

I may complain about Origin in other threads but if we’re talking about money going towards these great charities, my dislike of Origin pales in comparison, so fair play EA. I hope this bundle makes a fat wad of cash.

26. knux81 says:

I don’t get all the hate leveled at EA sometimes. In the late 80s and early 90s they were a groundbreaking publisher/developer. With that success they managed to buy out other studios (my biggest gripe was the Westwood buyout..Not for C&C but for Earth and Beyond)…The bigger it got the more creeks it made. I remember a time where pretty much every game I started had the “Challenge everything!” whisper and it made me hate em cos they were everywhere.

But to be honest, I like EA. They managed to get a bunch of games out that I love and still play to this day (Buck Rogers:Countdown to to Doomsday, NFS, Burnout, Road Rash, the Strike series)…

Origin is not the devil everyone makes it out to be. There were some issues with key redemption for about an hour and a half after the start of the HB sale but having 1,270,000 keys trying to be redeemed on secure connections all at the same time…yeah. DDoS style problems!
    They got it sorted and all is good.

What did EA do to you to garner all the hate? O.o

• Guvornator says:

They work their employees into the ground while paying them no overtime, essentially.

• Deadly Habit says:

Their business practices, the way they treat employees, the excessive DLC and trying to nickel and dime as much as possible, always online, buying up and killing beloved studios and franchises, always online and DRM policies, poor customer service…

• Stromko says:

They take creative studios and turn them into franchise factories. Examples include Origin Systems, Bullfrog, Bioware, and other developers that made my youth awesome. That’s all in the past, I guess, and I can only theorize as to the harm to the medium and my joy that was caused by this, so I suppose that’s not a fully factual grievance.

However, recently, I preordered SimCity 2013 from them. That’s bad enough– for example, to date, every city I’ve made, including ones I spent days playing on a server with friends, have been lost by their servers with no hope for recovery. Given that they lied outright about how online their game HAD to be, the fact that I slowly lost all the cities I worked on including ones my friends were depending on for resources, to the ravages of what turned out to be nothing but their goddamn DRM, is pretty infuriating.

But I felt screwed before I even got to play. What convinced me to preorder was their offer of a coupon for 20$ off another game. Their store hadn’t made it clear that the coupon was only good for a select group of games and also I would have to pay no less than 10$ additional in order to redeem said coupon (even games costing 29.99 were too low to use the coupon on). I ended up getting The Sims: Medieval for lack of other options. That game is just horrible– it isn’t a proper Sims game for starters, it’s essentially one of their canned, linear, grindy console ports that mysteriously ended up on the PC.

I half expect that the reason they’re valuing the bundle at 215$– a grossly inflated number but probably technically correct since they rarely ever discount their very old games– is so they can claim much larger charitable donations on their taxes than the actual gross from the bundle sales. It sounds far fetched, but corporate tax law is full of loopholes and it’s not so different than giving away a car valued at X amount and receiving back that full value in deductions. I wouldn’t put it past their lawyers to get away with it.

There was that time they sued that ‘Edge’ trademark troll though, that was cool. Then I remember how disappointing, closed-ended and poorly supported ‘Spore’ was, how they hooked me again with ‘Spore: Captains’ only for that game’s quest creator to be so shallow (You can’t even design missions with CHOICES for f**k’s sake!, how can they claim it’s an RPG in the goddamn 2000′s when you can’t have choices?!).

So my point is I legitimately feel frothing hatred toward EA, but since they own so many AAA developers I still feel compelled to buy their crap sometimes to assuage my boredom.

• knux81 says:

Thanks for that. I found it nice that they did acknowledge the total failure with Sim City 2013 with the give away of another title.

TBH the last good Sim City was 2000. The biggest gripe I ever had with EA was sitting on IPs and not letting people work on them or slamming down the legal hammer on people that were trying to remake/mod them. That seems to be turning around though with the re-release of SS2 on GOG and Wasteland 1 being allowed out of the stable soon.

Unfortunately, the whole system of buying up smaller companies and turning them into franchises is the way the world works now. It’s all about brand recognition…

The treatment of employees from what i’ve read (in first reply dated 2004) seems to be marginally better and looks like EA have gone through an internal reform. I have to add though that most places i’ve worked have also done stuff like this so to me it’s pretty much the norm. Overwork with little pay.

• fish99 says:

They bought and killed Bullfrog and Westwood, and they treat their staff like ****. They buy studios just to get the IPs and to remove competition, with the full intention of shutting them down, so a great source of games is lost. With Bullfrog they didn’t even use all those fabulous IPs, all we got was Dungeon Keeper 2 which was already in production IIRC.

27. Scumbag says:

And so that brings my Origin collection up to 8 games.

28. revan says:

Struggling to install The Sims 3 (what? I want to see what it’s all about.). Download keeps freezing and I have to restart Origin to get it unstuck again. In the meantime, Steam is downloading games at blazing speeds…

29. phuzz says:

Dear publishers.
    Wondering why your digital store isn’t as popular as Steam, even though you’ve put in achievements and an in game web browser?
    This is what you need to do, sell games for your store at ridiculously low prices, so that people end up having to use your store. The more they use it, the more likely they are to buy something from you at full price.

I still prefer Steam to Origin by far, but competition can only be good for us consumers.

• revan says:

This is it basically. Origin has no sales of any kind, at least I haven’t seen any. While Steam has deals all the time. I’ve already spent at least €50 this month on games I never planned on buying. But you see a great deal and you just add the thing to the cart. Speaking of which… Thief Collection is looking tantalizing.

• basilisk says:

They do. Towards the end of the Steam sale, they finally woke up and ran a pretty decent one themselves. Picked up Alice and Dragon Age 2 for peanuts.

At this point, it’s something of a vicious circle, where people don’t check Origin for sales because everyone knows Origin doesn’t do sales. I assume that’s what EA is trying to break out of.

• revan says:

I’ve been checking on occasion to see if there was anything, but each time the only thing I’d see would be ridiculous prices on games I didn’t particularly want. Damn shame I missed out on Alice. Another problem is site presentation. Origin just looks so cluttered and messy to me. Steam advertises their deals in your face.

30. kael13 says:

If they threw in Crysis 3, I would be all over this for that and DS3.

31. Chayat says:

As much as I want to hate on EA for all of the normal reasons…

I think no one can really take issue with the bundle even if you do have to use sucky DRM.

I’m sure someone receiving a food parcel that this pays for will feel just as much if a moral dilemma as I will as I spend an evening smooshing necromorphs.

• SayNoToDRM says:

I’d rather keep their DRM and malware off my PC and donate directly to charity instead. Besides, buying into this Humble Bundle sends out the wrong message that I’m perfectly fine with Humble Bundle betraying their no-DRM roots whilst EA sees yet another unjustified sale.

• basilisk says:

You know, nothing is stopping you from doing just that. Time to put that money where the mouth is.

• SayNoToDRM says:

As I commented in another post further up (still awaiting moderation though – must be a new user thing), I haven’t bought an EA title in two years and I’ll probably never do so ever again. I have bought Humble Bundles in the past, but only the DRM-free ones because 1) I want to OWN what I’ve paid for and 2) not feel like I’m being viewed like some common criminal by the publisher whilst they scan my hard drive without my permission.

As for giving to charity? I do that with every Humble Bundle pack I buy but I won’t be buying this.

• basilisk says:

In that case, please don’t claim you would rather “donate directly to charity”. Because that’s not what buying a Humble Bundle is.

I do not care about your principles, but at least show some spine if you want to ride a high horse here.

• FhnuZoag says:

If you’d rather directly donate directly to charity, can you go do that then please?

• DrScuttles says:

I take the view by giving 67p to charity you can get Dead Space, Burnout Paradise, Crysis 2, Mirror’s Edge and Medal of Honour on Steam. But if you hate Steam DRM too, then you could always just get the bundle and then torrent cracked versions of those games.

32. kwyjibo says:

There was that time when Origin gave all their games for free over a weekend due to some glaring security hole. I could have, but didn’t take advantage of that. I did sign up to Origin once to get Burnout Paradise for free, but I’ve never played it.

Steam pretty much has a monopoly on my gaming time, and I don’t mind. What annoys me is how EA have split their franchises across the two platforms. So while I’ve got Mass Effect 1 & 2 on Steam, I can’t get Mass Effect 3 on it.

Dead Space 1 & 2 on Steam. Dead Space 3 isn’t. Crysis 1 & 2 on Steam. Crysis 3 isn’t. I know there are some shenanigans over DLC availability, but given the performance of these games, I’m fairly sure there’s no more DLC to be had. So please just release a gold edition or whatever on Steam.

33. Oryon says:

Not even 1 cent. I’m sorry.

I wouldn’t install Origin if they paid me.

• Berzee says:

I might if they paid me :P but in this case I don’t need to because all the games in this bundle that I want to play are also on Steam.

34. reticulate says:

Good to see that even when a popular target of the Angry Internet Men(tm) is doing a good thing, people can still find something to bitch about.

Seriously, you’re not being clever or sticking it to the man. Either buy the damn thing or don’t.

And yeah, SimCity was shit. We know already. I was as disappointed as you.

35. Carra says:

Sure, Origin is evil and all that. But for $5 I’m happily willing to ignore that.

I enjoyed Crysis 2 & BF3. But the standout game is Mirrors Edge, go play it if you haven’t already.

And now, I can finally go and play euh, the sims 3.

36. kevinspell says:

Props to EA for supporting the charity organizations but in the end this is obviously just a way to boost up their Origin audience and number of sales in the future. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that either. From a consumer perspective this is by far the best way to do it.

But I find it very funny how they managed to screw up even that. When your service is already know as the inferior one is it really in your best interest to invite bunch of people to use it with a great deal like this and then the first and only thing these people can see is: “Code Redemption is temporarily unavailable. We have top agents working on it. Please try again later.” Only confirming your reputation as the inferior and unreliable one.

And on top of that even if you manage to redeem your games from what I heard some people just can’t play some games online because the latest patch broke something inside Origin. And after two weeks this problem still exists. So for example, some people can’t play Dead Space 3 coop, the only reason many people I know bought this bundle in the first place…

37. Varakkys says:

Congratulations to the 700,000 (and counting) fucking idiots that bought into EA’s bullshit. How quickly the Sim City debacle is forgotten, the shitty attitude to their customers and random Origin bannings, the corporate rape of your favourite development studios for the quickest possible buck.

But hey, next time they screw over their entire customer base, at least you can come back to this thread and console yourself with the fact that you gave five dollars to charity so that EA could create a massive tax write-off for themselves this year.

38. mrwout says:

I hate to be that guy but here we go…

After buying the bundle I installed Origin and found it to have a really nice and unexpectedly snappy interface…
    The store page and interface were in Dutch, my native language, but the translation just seemed a bit of to me so I went to the settings and changed the language to English. This apparently only applies to the interface and not to the store page… which now has changed it’s language to French and which I’m unable to change.

It is apparently an issue that has been going on since 2009 (Is Origin even that old?)

…….. oh EA, you almost had me….

39. Tei says:

Wheres the EFF in the charity organizations? Why most organizations are America something… are they taking money from all around the world for organizations that only benefit USA?

I usually use this humbles to donate some money to the EFF, but is not on the list now.

• Jekhar says:

This is why i usually tip more to the humble guys than give to the featured charities. And last time i looked, the EFFs actions were very much america-centric. Has this changed?

• Malibu Stacey says:

It’s a tax write off for EA. For every sale of the bundle they’ll be claiming USD200-300 off their corporate tax bill. Hence they have to be American charities.

• Tayh says:

Oh, fuck off. Tax doesn’t work like that.
        According to the description blurbs, watsi provides aid to 16 different countries. If you’d like to donate for a more international cause, that seems like the choice.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Many of the charities are (at least formerly) corrupt and inefficient. The equal rights one is the only charity that I haven’t at least once seen reports of corruption/misuse and they’re basically just a lobby group anyway.

I suppose it’s still “charity” since you’re “donating” money to them, but I don’t feel too charitable about it.

40. Koozer says:

Does it make me a raging racist if I’m annoyed all the charities are American? They could’ve picked international ones.

EDIT: damn you Tei!

• FhnuZoag says:

It might surprise you but the american red cross doesn’t just help americans.

• Berzee says:

As American is not a race, I think you’re safe.

It might make you a raging melting-pot-ist, but that debate is ongoing.

41. MeestaNob says:

The even better news about all this is that you get both separate Origin keys AND Steam keys, so you can just use the Steam ones and sell the Origin ones for a lovely profit. Better still, when EA finds out about it, gets cranky and bans your Origin account, you’ve lost absolutely nothing whatsoever, gained a bunch of games, AND helped a charity, all while sticking it to EA. Winners everywhere!

• basilisk says:

You are not supposed to do that. The keys are sold exclusively for your personal use, just for two different services.

No one can prevent you from doing that, of course, but you should know it’s wrong.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

There is nothing wrong with it.
        You bought the key, it is yours to sell. There isn’t the EULA agreement before you redeem the key. (as if clicking a little box changes anything, anyway)

Quit kowtowing to this type of culture. Of course you can sell your key! It’s only wrong to think otherwise.

• basilisk says:

It’s not kowtowing, it’s basic human decency. Right under the widget for redeeming keys, it says “All keys are for your personal use only.” A polite request, nothing more.

If anyone else wants the key, let them buy one. It’s very cheap. If you want to buy keys to sell them further, go ahead and buy a gift code, and resell it whenever you like and for any price you want, there’s nothing at all wrong about that. But the bundle should always be treated as a unit. That’s how ownership in the digital world works, or is intended to work. There would be no need for DRM if people just followed these simple principles.

• Hahaha says:

They truly are scum and the reason HIB normally only give bundled keys now

• MeestaNob says:

Also, odds on the ‘new’ Sim City will be added to this bundle in time – if that is something you are looking forward to.

• fish99 says:

Surely Sim City is too new and still selling. I think Dead Space 2 and something else from the Crysis series is more likely.

42. neolith says:

As much as I like seeing all the profit go to a good cause, I must say it is pretty sad that all these titles have DRM, the DRM for most of them is Origin, the EFF is not among the charities and that this bundle lacks in terms of multi platform gaming. :\

This is one of the few Humble Bundles I am not buying. I wouldn’t install Origin on my machine even if they payed me for every single game I’d play there…

• Emeraude says:

all these titles have DRM, [...] the EFF is not among the charities

Could the two be possibly related ? I mean, I seem to remember the EFF wasn’t involved in the THQ bundle either.

Anyway, kinda disgusted by the people saying they are on principle against DRM, yet this offer is too good to pass. Principles are cheap, I guess.

43. fish99 says:

Mixed feeling about this. I dislike EA as a company, but at the same time I do find all the hating on Origin while happily using Steam hypocritical. They’re both DRM systems no one wanted (by which I mean most people didn’t want Steam when it launched), they both had shaky starts and their share of issues, and they both stop you selling or lending your games. Overall I’m glad Origin and UPlay exist because Steam having a near-monopoly isn’t good for consumers, even though Steam has done some great things to revitalize PC gaming (esp the indie scene).

• dE says:

Steam became a better service because of the hate it received. Given that hate in the internet is basically another word for dissenting opinion or daring to have a suggestion. It also continues to get a lot of hate for what is wrong with it, for example content curation, stability, offline-mode and greenlight.
      Origin also receives hate for what is wrong with it, for example shop interface, usability, system performance, company reputation. I fail to see the Hypocrisy.

• Ross Angus says:

I’m not sure I agree that internet fury is just how we express our criticism. I’d prefer it if rather than a stream of swearing and racial taunts, the internet could express itself a bit more like Shamus Young:

• dE says:

My point wasn’t that hateful comments are how we trasmit criticism but that any form of criticism on the internet is instantly labelled as hate, no matter how reasonable and calm it was written.

• FhnuZoag says:

There’s plenty of legitimate flaws in Origin, but the sheer phobia of some people against it, when many of those flaws are unlikely to come up for them or are minimal in impact (I mean, okay, the UI is poor, but so what? And what does having a bad shop interface matter when you are buying the game off Humble Bundle and not on Origin itself?) is faintly ludicrous. People seem to regard Origin as some kind of computerised cooties, when in reality you don’t have to run it at all while you aren’t playing the game, and while you are playing the game you basically don’t notice that Origin exists at all.

A lot of the tenor of the discussion sounds like: Oh no, I have to do an extra mouse click or two when I launch the game! Therefore, I wouldn’t play the game at all!

• PikaBot says:

There’s a good deal of bitterness involved from EA pulling their titles off of Steam in order to try and push their own, vastly inferior version. And I can’t blame people for being bitter; they’re being forced to break up their game library (well, forced if they want to keep buying these games they like, anyway) over two platforms, with no advantage for them involved at all. That one of the platforms is terrible and like a relic from the past only adds to the sting. Toss in a degree of brand loyalty and brand hatred, and presto.

• fish99 says:

Ross, you make a good point in terms of the quality of service (although personally I’ve never had a problem with any of them), but in terms of the DRM, Steam, Origin and UPlay are equally bad.

People have essentially forgiven Valve for the loss of rights associated with Steam because they got a load of cheap games.

• PikaBot says:

That and the convenience and the integrated multiplayer services on many games and the…

Basically, Steam has DRM but offers a suite of other services and options that make it worthwhile to many people despite that. Origin has DRM and is just a pain in the ass to use.

• ffordesoon says:

Exactly. People will give up ownership rights in exchange for convenience, but only if the service is actually, you know, convenient.

• tigerfort says:

People keep saying “Steam has DRM” as though Steam’s DRM wasn’t entirely optional. It’s there for developers/publishers if they want to use it, but plenty of games I’ve bought through Steam will run without the steam client once you’ve downloaded them.

• fish99 says:

I just picked 3 random games and tried to run them from the exe without Steam running and they all just ran Steam. I’d need to see some definite numbers on this to see if what you say is true. Is it 10%, 50%, 80%?

As for the added benefit of Steam like multiplayer, it’s not something I personally benefit from, and before Steam games still had multiplayer. The flip side is our house had to buy Skyrim 3 times, whereas we could make do with a single Oblivion. That’s Steam. Plus never being able to sell a game.

If you accept all that about Steam you should accept it about Origin too. To me they are essentially the same thing, and I personally have never had any problems with either Steam, Uplay or Origin.

A marketplace without competition would eventually become a terrible thing.

• onyhow says:

@fish99: yeah, because just pick extremely small sample size (3 out of >~1000 games) is really indicative of the whole thing…

Check here for an actual (most likely incomplete due to old age) list…

• PikaBot says:

People hated Steam when it was at Origin’s level of development, too, and rightfully so. Except Origin has been around for a lot longer than that, and honestly shouldn’t have been launched onto a market where Steam is already a thing in this state.

• RProxyOnly says:

Wait.. People are actually advocating Origin now?, despite the shit, the lies, the destruction of good dev houses and the constant general anti-consumer action EA have taken, continue to take and will, in to the future, always take?

They deserve every shitty thing that gets pulled on them, it’s just a pity that they have to drag the rest of us down with them.

44. shimeril says:

I bought the bundle, purely for Burnout Paradise (which I’ve been after since playing NFS:MW) and Crysis 2 (which vaguely interested me). Not worried about Origin as both of these have Steam keys. I’ll call that a win. I’ll try the other Steam games at some point, but I won’t be installing Origin for any of these. My son uses it for BF3 and I cannot stand the interface at all. Bloody awful it is, so I’m glad it’s him and not me.

• djbriandamage says:

Beware Crysis 2′s many, verbose, hammy, did I mention many? unskippable cutscenes.

45. pupsikaso says:

I cannot agree with most people here.
    Usually I’m pretty excited for any Humble Bundles because they often contain interesting games that I’ve never played before.
    But a lineup of EA’s games? I don’t buy games from EA not only because I do not wish to support such an asshole of a company, but also because most of the games they produce are utter crap.

• Frank says:

Yeah, I don’t boycott them, but haven’t had the slightest inclination to get Origin, and have ~3 hrs on my Steam account from their games (from Dead Space, out of ~1500 hrs total).

• fish99 says:

Dead Space 1 and Mirrors Edge are both excellent games. Crysis 2 was decent too.

• Ariake81 says:

utter crap…. really? tell that to thousands of poor hard working souls that have to make these intensely crafted, asset heavy creations that would leave the industry in a much worse state for there absense. someones got to create the big bold epic stuff. i love indie games as well, but be glad you have the freedom to choose what you play. otherwise its just like the armchair sports fan shouting at the TV about how the could run the team better if they were in charge……

46. bill says:

It’s nice of them to donate it all to charity, but the whole thing is effectively a trojan horse for origin.
    I’m sure it’ll be hugely popular, but I’m rather surprised to see wolffire / humble bundle agreeing to be part of it.

I think I’ll avoid it.

47. Frank says:

“Human Rights Campaign”? That name is a lot more generic than it should/could be.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

It’s a lobby group, not truly a “charity.” Basically they must claim to fight (legally) for those who don’t have the resources to fight for their own rights. But this isn’t some kind of blankets-to-the-cold or food-for-the-hungry charity. It’s also the only listed charity that doesn’t have a history of misuse of funds or outright corruption. Probably because it’s newer.

48. GuybrushThreepwood says:

The scuttlebutt is that the bonus games to be added next week are: Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising, Bulletstorm, Dead Space 2 and Medal of Honor Airborne.

Nothing insane like Crysis 3, Mass Effect 3 or a FIFA title, but a welcome bonus nonetheless.

• revan says:

How can you tell which games they’ll add? But, yeah I figured DS2 and Crysis and never expected FIFA or ME titles. Those still sell good I bet.

49. aliksy says:

Meh. I don’t like EA and I don’t want any of these games. I can just give to charity myself.

50. omicron1 says:

Mostly good causes. There’s a bit of leftist tripe mixed in, but thankfully it can be excised, leaving four good causes to split the difference. (By the way, EA – next time can you include the Family Research Council, for fairness’ sake? Thanks.)

Got one as a gift. It seems a reasonable use of money.

• PikaBot says:

The Family Research Council is a charity (or, for that matter, a research organization) in the same way that I am a pot-bellied pig.

• Sheng-ji says:

Which charity is tripe?

The one promoting equality for all regardless of sexual orientation?
      The one paying for life changing medical care?
      The one supporting cancer victims?
      The one supporting victims of natural disasters?
      or The one trying to prevent the spread of Aids?

How can any of these be even slightly controversial?

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Just so you know, The American Cancer Society does not help cancer victims. It is basically R&D for the major drug companies.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Also, pretty much all of those charities have at one point been controversial.
        You are looking at the causes they claim to support, but look into the organizations themselves.

• Sheng-ji says:

I’m just not that interested in gossip and hearsay to be honest

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Are you interested in ignorance?
            I’m not telling you what to think, just to look into it. The gossip and hearsay is that these are great charitable organizations. Find out for yourself before you champion their causes.

• Sheng-ji says:

I find some of the greatest ignorances are found in sweeping generalisations such as “the five charities that humble have selected do not support the causes they claim” or “the american cancer society do not help cancer victims”

I will champion the causes I listed till my dying breath.

• ffordesoon says:

To be fair, I recall hearing some very nasty things about the Human Rights Campaign. I can’t recall specifics at the moment, so, y’know, do some research, but I’ve definitely heard bad things.

No idea about the other four charities, though I know the Red Cross and the ACS do good works.

EDIT: Well, the Red Cross does, at any rate.

EDIT 2: Oh, and I’m pretty sure omicron1 meant the HRC, although whether he’s bothered by the fact that they support gay rights or the fact that they’re something of a mouthpiece for the Democratic Party, I couldn’t say.

EDIT 3: Oh, and the Family Research Council is about as legitimate and trustworthy as the Weekly World News.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Red Cross was part of the infamous Katrina blunder and a previous hurricane in Florida. Not sure the details, but they are inefficient when it comes to utilizing their funds, although very efficient at gathering said funds.

• ffordesoon says:

Fair enough. I really wouldn’t know.

• Shooop says:

I worked in their offices for a time. They are terrifyingly inefficient when it comes to managing themselves. One of my bosses said she spent more time in meetings than actually doing work.

Giving blood but not money is probably your best bet with them for now.

• derbefrier says:

As far as I know the Red Cross wasn’t involved in any of the huge mistakes that went on after Katrina or that hurricane. Maybe you didn’t pay attention but if you did its all fairly obvious(at least to me) the federal and local governments of those places dropped the ball big time on both occasions. The bureaucracy is just too big and inefficient is pretty much what it all added up too.

• Widthwood says:

Chose 100% to Red Cross exactly because didn’t want to waste time researching if there are any problems with others.

But I wish they chose African branch, or International, or made it depend on your location, tbh. Can’t exactly characterize US as the neediest country…

• omicron1 says:

*She. I’m transgender.

And yes, I’m referring to the HRC aka Politically Biased Advocacy Group that probably can’t decide whether to champion free healthcare for me or publically call me a bigot for being conservative. It’s about as much a ‘charity’ as its diametric opposite, the FRC.

• Machinations says:

Some reason my comment is awaiting moderation? I am not allowed to point out the utter insanity of supporting the FRC as a LGBT person? But we can call the cancer society etc. ‘leftist tripe’? Interesting.

• PikaBot says:

No reason for contradiction. Everyone deserves health care, even the likes of Dick Cheney, George Bush, and their ilk.

• Widthwood says:

@Machinations Nah, it means it did alert an automatic anti spam filter, it will never be approved since hivemind doesn’t seem to bother going through blocked messages… Probably you had lots of links, you should remove http and www parts so that they would lok like text