Beyond Good And EAvil: The Humble Origin Bundle

By Nathan Grayson on August 15th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

I can't turn back now. EA asked me to deliver medicine to all the world's orphans, and deliver medicine I will!

THE WORLD HAS GONE CRAZY. First Activision took some progressive (well, by Activision standards, anyway) steps with Call of Duty, and now EA’s teamed up with Humble Bundle to host a bonkers sale whose proceeds go¬†entirely to charity. It consists of eight titans of electronic artistry (or whatever EA’s “A” actually represents these days) both past and present, which by the mega-publisher’s count comes out to a $215 value. The bundle is, as ever, pay-what-you-want, but this time around highlights include the likes of Mirror’s Edge, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Battlefield 3, and, er, Medal of Honor. Well, they can’t all be winners. Also, some require Origin. But still: ultra-cheap games for some really great causes! It might be EA, but today I must set aside my torchfork and don my giant rubber applauding hand.

The full lineup is (de)composed of Dead Space, Dead Space 3, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Medal of Honor, Mirror’s Edge, and – if you beat the average – Battlefield 3 and The Sims 3. As of writing, the average was below $5. I made this face O_O

And while a few of the games require Origin, EA’s also offering Steam keys for Dead Space, Crysis 2, Burnout Paradise, Medal of Honor, and Mirror’s Edge. Yes, there’s still a rather musky odor of brownie-point-baking (not to mention marketing) to this, but EA could’ve been a lot more halfhearted about the whole effort.

Should you donate, all funds that would normally be siphoned into EA’s mighty money maw will instead be distributed among the Human Rights Campaign, Watsi, the San Francisco AIDS Foundation, the American Red Cross, and the American Cancer Society in whatever distribution you wish.

So probably get on that. There’s still about two weeks left until the world goes back to normal, but it’s often a case of “the sooner, the better” with these things. Speaking of, I’m now off to see if Zynga CEO Don Mattrick will donate one of his private jets to my benevolent non-profit which seeks to take all of Zynga’s games and hurl them into the ocean.

, , , .

PikaBot says:

If some of you are worried that this is a scheme to try and popularize Origin: don’t. Oh, that’s exactly what it is, of course, but it won’t work. This will get Origin installed onto tons of PCs, yes, but that doesn’t do them any good unless it also gets them spending money on it and using it outside of ‘way to play these specific games’, and Origin’s issues with that have never stopped being a thing.

FhnuZoag says:

I don’t see why it would be a problem for Origin to become popular, if that happens because of people using it and liking it. The attitude that people must not use Origin because it might become popular seems rather contemptuous of the general public.

PikaBot says:

I will continue to be contemptuous of the buying public until the day when Call of Duty games stop making more money than god.

EA produces a lot of very popular things. Most of which are either crap or actively toxic to the gaming industry. Letting them get a big foothold on the retail side of the industry can only possibly be a bad thing. Fortunately, that will never happen because Origin is terrible.

[EDIT] Before anyone says it, yes, I realize that CoD is not EA. That example is more general, and not EA specific.

2. mLocke says:

No disclaimer for Burnout Paradise? I guess the writer just doesn’t know. The content servers for Burnout Paradise were taken offline years ago, so you can buy the game, play the game, but none of the DLC will ever be available to you.

Also it is worth mentioning that Mirror’s Edge on Origin has the ability to purchase, download and play the Time Trials map pack, previously exclusive to retail copies of the game.

Have a nice day.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

It’s Burnout: Paradise: The Everything Package or whatever. DLCs are already installed.

• Guvornator says:

I think there were a few things that came out after the Ultimate Box went on sale (thus not making it the Ultimate Box), but it was just a few new cars. Nothing game changing. The DLC that came with the Ultimate Box is actually playable, because it’s on the disk/install.

• mLocke says:

Then they must have retroactively patched it, cause the Steam version required you to download the DLC from their content servers, which are offline. The multiplayer servers work just fine, but the content server has been offline for years. I was never able to play with any of the DLC cars or that crazy Big Surf Island they added to the game.

Seems it is still not included in the Steam version, perhaps you are thinking of the Origin version? If so it sure would be keen if you said so.

• bill says:

I wouldn’t recommend this deal due to Origin, but if anyone does go for it and likes Mirror’s Edge then I’d definitely recommend the time trials… all the fun of the parkour but without the annoyances like combat.

(though i found one to be basically impossible with kb/mouse)

3. defunct says:

I’ve been boycotting EA for so long, I own NONE of these games. And there’s only one I really ever wanted to try anyway. Everything they touch turns bad. Everything. I’ve seen NO exceptions. Now they’ve touched Humble. Well, at least they were good for a while. (Humble that is.) Which just makes me sad.

• Kittim says:

Yep, still no sale for me, I really don’t like EA and I won’t buy any more of their crap. Origin is just a pile of privacy invading horse poo.

• Ariake81 says:

welcome to our modern world. i know it a shame but if you can’t beat em……

• Hahaha says:

You do know that HIB had shank in a bundle right?

4. Liudeius says:

Good on them I guess for giving their cut to charity, but this is clearly an attempt to get people on Origin.
    No, I’m not going to use the system which you yourself admitted was a trojan in your ToS.

• Widthwood says:

Payed for bundle, not planning to install Origin any time soon (maybe when I will make a separate windows install just for games).

Dead Space, Burnout Paradise, Crysis 2, Medal of Honor and Mirror’s Edge also have steam keys available. Good enough for me.
      Oh, and as an additional bonus – all those keys are separate.

• Liudeius says:

Yeah, I know, I already got it, but still, Dead Space 3, Battlefield 3, and Sims 3 are all Origin only.

I suppose Sims is the only one of those I’m really interested in since DS3 is supposed to be a bland FPS and BF3 would definitely require installing a trojan for online play, but Sims 3 is on Steam and they still don’t give a Steam key.

• Widthwood says:

Huh, that IS strange and quite sneaky… I thought all Origin-only titles in bundle genuinely aren’t on Steam at all.

5. Ariake81 says:

hello from the minority……..of people who found Medal of Honor a short but amazing game. way more immersive than COD and the sound design is crazy good on headphones. a big dumb movie and i loved it. sorry. now troll away CODiots.

6. uh20 says:

WHERE’S MY LINUX-SUPPORTED GAMES!!!

RAWWWWRRRAWWWRRAWWWWRRAWWRRRRRAWWWWRRRAWWWRRAWWWWRRAWWRRRR