Morri-gone: Dragon Age – Inquisition

By Adam Smith on August 15th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Dragon Age: Inquisition won’t be out until Autumn 2014 at the earliest, but that doesn’t mean we can’t poke through the nuggets of information emerging from within the extended development cyclone. In the last week, two significant gobbets of information have emerged from Bioware’s lair. The first, as alluded to in the headline, is the news that Morrigan won’t be a party member, although that’s not to say her witchy ways won’t have a place in the game. The second piece of news wasn’t really news at all to me – Inquisition will contain multiple playable races. I didn’t realise that was a thing that might not be happening but confirmation came in a Game Informer interview.

I assume it’s the single playable character/race in Dragon Age 2 that had led to the need to confirm the same wasn’t the case in Inquisition. That limitation seemed like a necessity for the game’s specific story rather than a new series staple, so the return of playable elves and dwarves (at least) isn’t a great surprise.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Didden says:

No need to worry then, nothing here sounds draconian…

Lambchops says:

Oh great a pun thread, because we haven’t had one of those in an age.

• Tendentieus says:

Although they dissapointed us before with Dragon Age 2, this does sound Inquisite.

Rizlar says:

Indeed, after DA2 I am glad to hear there will be morrigan in terms of character customisation, alistair will be a choice of race.

• bleeters says:

Hopefully they can Maker decent sequel this time.

• Cinnamon says:

I’m not sure about this direction though. It seems like being an inquisitor would be bad for your elf.

• Keyrock says:

Morrigan doesn’t look like she aged that well anyway.

Morlock says:

Dragon Age 1 was a stimulating RPG, but I have the feeling that this new title won’t be more than blight entertainment.

cpt_freakout says:

It’s a Grey area, but hopefully they’ll Warden against any kind of setback and bad writing.

• Liudeius says:

Though Origin will crucify us with DRM and spyware.

2. Megakoresh says:

It would be pretty weird if we had a party member with a 10YO child…

• PatrickSwayze says:

I think it would be empowering to single women who are raising children on their own, especially those raising mixed race children.

Bioware are definitely choosing to ignore single parents in their games.

Morrigan and the dragon baby would be a strong role model for single parents everywhere.

#solidarityisforwhitewomen

• aliksy says:

I’m pretty sure you’re being sarcastic, and if so you must be a real charmer in person.

• Skull says:

Made me laugh

• PatrickSwayze says:

How am I being sarcastic exactly?

Because I don’t want a videogame that fits into your little box of normality?

Would a single female character dealing with the responsibility of parenthood alone not be dudebro enough for you?

Not enough killstreaks for you?

• Jeremy says:

This just got weird.

• DarksDaemon says:

I don’t know if you’re kidding or what, but I just don’t think it’d be fun, a game about a single female parent caring for her child would be interesting like an art game, yet also boring as fuck from a gameplay perspective, like an art game. I play games to escape my responsibility, not add more. (fuck animal crossing :( )

• aliksy says:

Because “Bioware are definitely choosing to ignore single parents in their games” sounds like you’re trolling. People post things like “Bioware is choosing to ignore $contrivedMinority” to show they don’t think that minority is important.

When gender or sexuality stuff comes up, there’s often some asshole who says something like “What about the left-handed-transgender-atheist-jewish-black-white-asian-furry-bald-dwarf-giant-wealthy-working-class people? Bioware is intentionally ignoring them!” That’s how I read your post. I read your post as you making fun of people who show an interest in minorities.

Rizlar says:

I reckon a mother-child relationship would be amazing to play in a game. Look at how popular Clementine was, and she wasn’t even your kid!

• PatrickSwayze says:

It’s like The Last Of Us & The Walking Dead doesn’t even exist to these people.

Guess they’re elitist PC Gamers

• Solidstate89 says:

Anyone who uses a hashtag outside of Twitter is automatically a fuckhead.

• Mr.Nice says:

They’ve actually added those to Facebook now. Just saying.

• Megakoresh says:

That escalated quickly…

• TsunamiWombat says:

To be fair, this 10yo would be devil-baby-demon-god. So either Jesus or the Anti-Christ.

I think he can handle himself.

• gunny1993 says:

Isn’t the child like some harbinger of doom/Cthulhu as well?

I SMELL A SITCOM

3. zachforrest says:

Maybe they’ll have the courage to include a party member who’s a REAL witch.

e.g Meg from Meg and Mog,

RedViv says:

Enchantment!

• PatrickSwayze says:

Nevermind bikini armor and Bioware’s victimisation of the transgendered, that was about as offensive as videogames get.

RedViv says:

What in the Maker’s holy name are you blathering about?

• The Ultimate Clone of The Ultimate Warrior says:

There was a Hermaphrodite Prostitute in the first game. Rather gross stuff to be hones. Really cruel joke.

• DarksDaemon says:

I had to google Bioware Victimisation of Transgendered and got nothing, i’m about as confused as a chipmunk at a rodeo.

And if you’re implying that Sandal is an offensive representation of a mentally handicapped person rather than a magic addled dwarf like he actually is, then may you find peace somewhere cause you must be angry about everything that happens all the time.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Still though- a magic addled dwarf should be handled with more compassion for his condition!

• DarksDaemon says:

More compassion than having a dwarf with no connection to him adopting him and treating him like his own son even with his condition instead of leaving him to die alone and defenceless :P (as defenceless as he could be…)

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Or maybe less compassion!
            Just-the-right-amount-of-compassion dammit!

• aliksy says:

Troll. If we all block him, maybe he’ll go away.

• Jimbo says:

Nobody puts Sandal in the corner.

5. bleeters says:

On the playable races thing, I assume they’re mentioning it specifically due to it being a) one of the biggest issues I saw people raise with DA2 as a disappointment to them, and b) one of the most constantly requested features for the third game. I’m certainly pleased they’re bringing it back.

As for whether it would’ve worked for the second game, well. I’d say not especially, though a dwarf or elf who bought a hightown mansion and lived in it wouldn’t have been anywhere near as hard a pill to swallow than the magic hating, ironfisted, overcome-by-her-own-paranoia knight commander turning a blind eye to all the mages in Hawke’s company. That said, Hawke’s noble heritage never counted for anything ever anyway, so dropping it from the story wouldn’t have changed much. It seemed more like a budget/development schedule issue, which goes for a lot of problems I had with DA2.

edit – oh right, dwarves can’t do magic. That would’ve been a problem D:

• Zenicetus says:

… or c), they took a look at the success of Skyrim and realized that yeah, people enjoy that level of customization for a player character. At least when the story isn’t as strongly written around a specific person as say, the Witcher series.

To be successful, I think a game has to stick to either extreme of the “RPG” spectrum. Either a traditional free-form RPG with a player-defined main character, or else a story-locked character like Geralt, where the only customization is in the skill progression. What Bioware did in DA2, among their many other sins, was try something in the middle… a bit of class customization but no choice in gender or race… and it didn’t work very well.

• bleeters says:

Huh? DA2 had choice of gender.

• Zenicetus says:

Right, I forgot the gender choice. Maybe because the way the story was written, it seemed like a male perspective on the world either way? I dunno.

6. Squirly says:

I’m still confused as to how she got pregnant right through my magic armor. I was wearing protection dammit.

7. Orija says:

The Witcher 2 will be better.

• lordcooper says:

Bit behind the times?

• Keyrock says:

If you’re going to troll, at least pick a game that’s slated to come out around the same time.

Lords of the Fallen will be better

See how easy that was?

• Kaira- says:

Oh ye youngsters, who don’t remember memes of olde.

Or well, old in terms of internet time. So, anything older than last week.

• Keyrock says:

Enlighten me. I missed the last few issued of Meme Times Weekly, so I’m not always up on the meme trends.

Surlywombat says:

I remember the good old days when memes where called fads.

• Triplanetary says:

Yeah, but I really think The Witcher 3 will be better, so your trolling doesn’t quite work out.

• Jeremy says:

In reading these comments, I’m concluding that the trolling was actually very effective.

8. lordfrikk says:

Fuck’s sake.

9. Shaz says:

“I assume it’s the single playable character/race in Dragon Age 2 that had led to the need to confirm the same wasn’t the case in Inquisition.”

I would more say it was due to the fact that Mike Laidlaw specifically said (more than once) that DA:I was going to be human only, same as DA2. The extension allowed them time to add multiple races for the PC, but they were not originally planned.

10. Tom Servo says:

I don’t know why anyone would want to play as anything other than the master race of elves. Dwarves are constantly waking up in a pool of their own vomit from last night’s dwarf spirits and upon tasting it (which of course they do), can’t even tell the difference. And their brothels are the filthiest in all of Ferelden, and yes that includes the ones run by Darkspawn.

And don’t get me started on humans. I guess humans are just like elves except for being pathetically behind us in the areas of intelligence, beauty, spell casting ability, culture and hygiene. I will forever regret one of my people’s unfortunate tryst with a Mabari hound that resulted in the creation of humanity.

11. DigitalSignalX says:

Prediction: EA / Bioware will find some way to screw this up with multiplayer or some sort of play online asshattery.

• Osmedirez says:

I’m looking forward to the sponsored DLC. Game of Thrones tie-in dragonling pet dlc? Hunger Games Bow DLC? Oh-oh: Super special The Hobbit DLC– Comes in three parts, each one just a few extra inches added to the sword you get when you buy the first one.