Collectable: Combat Monsters

By John Walker on August 15th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

I love that the PC covers so much ground. It can match and outdo the very highest-end console gaming, while just as easily provide a home to phone-based concepts. Mice: the secret to success. So it is that forthcoming turn-based strategy Combat Monsters for mobile is also seeing a simultaneous PC release, later this year. Inspired by Magic: The Gathering, but played on a 3D board, this is the latest from the Great Big War Game creators.

It will, we’re told by developers Rubicon, support six-player multiplayer matches, and they should be cross-platform, meaning you can compete against a buddy on a tablet. Indeed, via the magic of clouds, you’ll be able to play a game on the move, and then continue it on your PC at home.

Being CCG-based does of course mean it will require little purchases. We don’t know what those are yet, but they promise they’re “affordable – free or almost free”. We shall see.

Here’s the inevitable Greenlight page.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BTAxis says:

Almost free huh? Maybe I’ll almost buy them then.

2. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I wonder why they opted for the 3D look. Because it doesn’t seem to be working out at this point. Of course, the game could very well be great fun.

• bstard says:

In a QM world there’s always this slightest possibility yes. Even with the console crowd damping effect.

3. Reapy says:

Is there something wrong with me because I don’t like deck building? I keep thinking I am supposed to with the volume of writing and games being created with deck building aspects in it, but at the end of the day I haven’t really enjoyed any of them.

I somewhat enjoyed a few days of ascension but I couldn’t find anybody to play the game with online when I went looking (ipad). Cardhunter is really cool but I had this huge feeling of grinding when I was playing it, probably should have tried to jump in vs a real person.

I mean, I should like it, it should have the joy and pain of dice, except I got to load the dice the way I want. It might just be that deck building on the computer isn’t the same as doing it IRL with physical objects, who knows.

4. The Random One says:

Rubicon? Cross-platform? This was just a huge set-up for an über-nerdy pun you never got around to making, wasn’t it?

5. Rubicon says:

You know what, even we never realised that pun was available. Will use it from now on, thanks! :)

6. Rubicon says:

Just a note here that there is a playable version out – Beta 3 – that you can get right now. If nothing else, you can see what the prices are like – we think you’ll like em, we come from a mobile background!