Shadow Run: Contrast

By John Walker on August 15th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Contrast does trailers really well, and really badly. The previous teaser trailer was a fine thing, but left it a bit obscure what was game and what was cutscene. The new trailer is another absolutely gorgeous thing – a real pleasure to watch – but I still don’t feel any wiser about the game.

The premise, once fathomed, seems a great one. You play a character – seemingly the imaginary friend of an imaginative little girl – who is able to run about on the surface of shadows. That provides platforming fun that lets you defy the real world. But I’m not convinced I’ve seen the game running properly yet. The screenshots similarly seem to focus on interstitials, and not the core game itself. I hope it can match.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Japjappieo says:

It gives me a Grim Fandango vibe.

2. faelnor says:

Is there a written rule somewhare which states that trailers should always show some gameplay?
    I don’t think there’s anything done here, as you say, “really badly”. I’d rather see some exposition, an introduction to the atmosphere, the world and the characters than cold, commercial gameplay segments. Especially early into development.

I understand that journalists might feel cheated (“but we have nothing to report on!”), but… well tough luck. Go to Gamescom or PAX, their devblog states that there are playables versions of the game there. Somehow I doubt there’s a NDA for journalists.
    Sometimes I enjoy being “teased” and “shown something pretty” rather than “advertised to”.

• lordcooper says:

I prefer to be shown a game than “advertised to”.

• valz says:

The rule is a general ethical rule, not a rule specific to trailers. I’ll paraphrase the rule:

“Being truthful is good, and being deceptive is bad.”

This trailer seems to mislead the viewer about what the game will be like. It seems to be doing such a poor job of representing the game that John Walker was able to guess that it’s probably a lie, though he said “I hope it can match.”

3. tuism says:

I thought this was a new campaign for that Shadow Run game :)

4. Vercinger says:

Sooo… It’s a platformer? I was hoping for something good.

5. Frank says:

Featuring Adam Jensen?

6. 2late2die says:

I love the setting and the music (if the ones in the trailer are indeed indicative of the ones in the actual games). Unfortunately I don’t like platformers so I’m probably not going to play this, but it’s always nice to see a game set in a unique world with interesting characters.

7. Vilda says:

I kinda expected something about ShadowRun…

There really should be some rule about too similar names :)

8. Mittens says:

Contrast Is actually a sequel to Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Several years after the events of Human Revolution, Adam Jensen is seen as a father to a curious young girl. The story centers around said girl coming to terms with her heavily augmented father and deceased mother, using her imagination to escape from this depressing reality.

A tale of understanding, loss, parental love and above all acceptance, we see Jensen in a role that was barely scratched upon in DE:HR.

There will be many feels.

9. Grey Cap says:

This looks fantastic. Of course, it’s being published by Focus Home Interactive, who also published Mars: War Logs. I really hope that this time the stylish trailers translate into a better game.

10. inertia says:

That electro-swing.

Yum.

11. SVW says:

While nice music and visuals, the animations itself feels weirdly stumped, maybe it’s because it’s supposed to imitate the doll theater or claymation, but it sort of bothers me.

12. chabuhi says:

I don’t know – I thought their Greenlight pitch video showed a decent amount of gameplay. They DO want to sell it, and if the most effective advertising comes in the form of glitzy rendered cutscenes and no gameplay, then that’s what they’re going to do. We’re free to vote with our wallets.