Audiosurf Air Coming To Steam Early Access Next Month

By Nathan Grayson on August 16th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

My eyes are ready

I have an unhealthy obsession with music visualizer games. Symphony and Frequency Domain have sated my rampant beatlust in recent years, but I don’t think anything will ever top my first love: Audiosurf. It’s not the most involved game ever, but that’s part of the charm for me. I can just zone out and dive headfirst into a neon-pulsing mouth of music, let it swallow me whole into a sea of flashing darkness. I like to play it before bed, when my brain’s still too fluttery for sleep. So I’ve been very eagerly awaiting its sequel, Audiosurf Air, while lamenting the disheartening lack of news surrounding it. But hark, what is that, speeding over the horizon in some kind of wonderful rocket car? Could it be? …No. But also yes! An announcement that we’ll be able to play Audiosurf Air very, very soon.

The game’s extremely minimal official site now carries word that the rhythmic follow-up will be on Steam Early Access starting next month. Now if you’ll excuse me for one moment: yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Sadly, no further details – for instance, price or an exact date – were provided. But here’s what we do know: Air is a similar sort of lane-based game, but now you physically surf on your music, sometimes soaring into the air for whirling tangles of tricks and spins that both up your score and distort the music in crazy, interesting fashions. I don’t think it’ll reinvent the wheel gleaming hovertron that will ultimately replace wheels, but it’s certainly got my attention.

Would you like a trailer? Of course you would.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. mpk says:

And now I must reinstall Audiosurf…

2. Branthog says:

I like Audiosurf and similar games, but in a world where many of us just rely on MOG.com and other subscription libraries for our music, it makes these games kind of useless. Even with a physical library, I don’t keep my music attached to the system I do my gaming on.

Imagine how awesome this would be if they partnered with spotify, mog, rdio and a few other places so that you just logged in with your music library account and it would tie directly into Audiosurf.

• MuscleHorse says:

Agreed – a lot has changed since the first Audiosurf. If I can’t link it with my Spotify account it’s pretty much useless to me. I do have my favourite albums on FLAC though – no idea if this (or even the original) supports those.

• Dthen says:

I keep my entire music library in FLAC format & can confirm that the original does indeed support it.

• noodlecake says:

Really? Do you have a 100 terabyte hard drive or just a very tiny music collection? :S

• Faldrath says:

Weird comment. I have more than 1000 CDs ripped to FLAC and that takes less than 400GB.

It’s really depressing how so many people are letting their music collections in the hands of thieves like Spotify.

3. snv says:

Audiosurf didn’t react very well to my music. I expect you need to like dancefloor music.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

In my experience it works best with fairly complicated compositions. I’m a fan of Coldplay, and their songs tend to have a lot of beats and, uh, rhythms, hell, I don’t know anything about music arrangement, but there’s a complexity to them. Pick a faster-paced one, like Cemeteries of London, and an Elite character and you’ve got a pretty good track.

• lucky jim says:

Death metal makes for some pretty interesting tracks as well.

• Jugglenaut says:

Really energetic punk music was my go to noise for the game. Worked really well.

• angrychair says:

A good part of auidosurf uses BPM, so if you listen to slower music the game can be kind of boring. BUT, there is a solution for that. If you edit your MP3 so that after the song title it has ‘[as-steep]‘ in it the game will make it much more interesting to play. There are a number of other modifier tags, but [as-steep] is by far the most important.

4. n. says:

Audiosurf and XVIII century harpsichord music is the real hell.

5. trjp says:

I’ve always been a fan of games which sync with music (either their own or yours) but let’s be honest – they’ve been pretty spotty overall!?

Audiosurf is – erm – it’s a bit tedious to be frank, The song isn’t really doing that much to the level (length and wobbliness) and the game within it is a mildly crap version of Klax – it’s never managed to hold my attention despite many attempts – I need a LOT more “game” from this version…

Symphony was a brave try but a mix of performance and progression issues (glitches and impossible bits) meant I lost interest – should I go back and take a peek now perhaps?

Not even peeked at Frequency Domain yet…

The king of the ‘music driving the game’ games is Beat Hazard of course – I think it’s the only game which genuinely uses your music to make a game – it’s a top notch shooter, it looks fantastic and it works with a lot of different types of music (tho 20 mins classical or operatic pieces aren’t ideal) :)

• aliksy says:

I never liked Beat Hazard much. There’s far too much flashy lights (even with the option to tone it down), and it didn’t seem to sync with my music very well. I’ve had hours of joy with audiosurf.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I can’t stand most of Audiosurf’s modes, so I only play the Mono mode. It becomes less of a game, and more just another way of actively listening to music. I zone out, tune in the music and just dodge the blocks to the beat.

• DeVadder says:

While id did enjoy Beat Hazard, i did not really like the way it incorporates the music…
      It gets easier and expect for the flashy lights kind of slower the more intense the music gets. That is kinda the opposite of what i would expect. It is the most stressfull in slow parts when i lack the firepower to clear the map fast enough and need more dodging.

Dont get me wrong, i did unlock everything and played it for many hours, it is just not as good as Audiosurf when it comes to what others have called ‘active listening’ to the music or zoning out on it.

And that is what i believe might become a problem for me with Air as well. From that one old trailer, it looks like you could just jump and be safe at every drop or maybe even in every fast part of the track. That sounds extremely counter-intuitive. Then again, i believe i can manage to not jump ^^
      And i assume there even will be some Iron Mode again where there is zero evasion.

6. FuzzyPuffin says:

Minor correction: it’s called Audiosurf 2 now.

This is a game I’d actually prefer on iOS…luckily there’s a good chance we’ll see it there:

• waaaaaaaals says:

The name change is weird since they originally went with Audiosurf Air because it was such a departure from the original that they didn’t think it would be received well as a flat out sequel.

7. McCool says:

First off, it needs spotify integration or no buy from me, and secondly..gosh that flying on the drop of the song looks awful. Drops are often the most fun part of any track, as it is where the shit really hits the proverbial fan. I am unconvinced. Anyway, It’s mono, so who cares about mono?

8. edwardh says:

I don’t know about this. Suggestions to improve the original were always shut down too quickly in the official forums.
    And they didn’t even bother to have different leaderboards for different variations of songs. So you might have people in the top ranks whose song diagram looked different from those of most others. In some cases even clearly a different song. Whenever at least I reported such cases, nothing was done about it.
    Also, I didn’t appreciate the fact that it was Steam-only.

9. Pich says:

Audiosurf was my first ever game ob Steam, and i love it to this day. Audiosurf 2 is going to be one of the only game i’ll buy full price at launch ( or in this case, before launch). I don’t care for Spotify inclusion because A) i keep my music in flac on my external HDD B) it sucks harder than a vacuum.

10. Carra says:

Ah, audiosurf, such a great game. So, who holds the Wuthering Highs trophy right now?

11. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Well, it’s about time. Finally a version I can actually use on my precious, precious Mac without having to duplicate my entire collection of music.

12. Tbloom says:

This video is actually just a simulation Elon Musk had the Tesla guys mock up for what the average Hyplerloop ride would be like.

13. LintMan says:

I love the basic idea of Audiosurf (track layouts defined by the music), but I hate the “match-3″-style gameplay. I really wish there was something meatier to do.

Comment on this story