Ve(ry) Nice: The Rise Of Venice Trailer

By Craig Pearson on August 16th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Given that the real place is slowly being swallowed by the Adriatic sea, Rise of Venice seems like a cruel title for a game. Why not just call it “Glug!”? Hold on, it turns out I am comedically mis-reading the title’s intentions: Kalypso’s Renaissance-set power-struggle is a historical strategy game. It’s set back when being a sea merchant was an actual thing that could be a job, and you’ll be engaging the twin tasks of earning money and attempting to gain influence over the City of Masks. The “Rise” is cultural. Swampy trailer beneath.

It’s a time and place that seems particularly hostile: the Ottoman Empire is leaning in from the East, and pirates are massing in the Med. You’re in the middle at the beginnings of a burgeoning empire. You’ll need to sort out everything: the means of production and sea battles, to the more subtle strategies of political corruption and clandestine dealings using your own family members as emissaries. Your ultimate aim is to earn the respect of the ‘Council of Ten’, a group of elders who can transform a political career, and I’m guessing they like a bit of double dealing and backstabbing, Lannister-Style.

It’ll be out this Autumnn.

, .

1. Lord Byte says:

I don’t know, most of Kalypso’s stuff (apart from the Tropico’s I guess) has been lackluster if not total crud at best… They did buy into some good properties but all their own efforts with them are very meh.

This one is one feels like a Port-Royale / Patrician style games which I’ve never found for good (or at least not very boring after a short while).

• darkwhite says:

Totally agree… if “meh” is a placeholder for the nice picture RPS placed at the Prey 2 article. E.g. M.U.D. TV was pure BS. Dungeons was bad, Airline Tycoon 2 horrible.

Do they even have a QA at Kalypso?

• bstard says:

Kalypso is indeed a strange publisher: anything with nice looks goes. Ranging from total crap like that TV game, to top notch Tropico and that Rome game. As much as I am enjoying EU4 atm, playing a more relax arcade sim is something I enjoy as well.

• PedroBraz says:

Most of their games are crap, giving the genre a bad rep. Very unfortunate for those of us who want a good econ/trade sim thats not too complex like Capitalism and not too simple like the Anno/Settler games.

• briangw says:

It feels like Patrician and Port Royale because it’s done by the same studio that did Patrician IV and Port Royale 3: Gaming Mind Studios.

• Seraphithan says:

Who emerged from the ashes of Ascaron so it goes all the way back to the first Patrician.

2. tnzk says:

The first several sentences are simply sublime. This is why British humor is the greatest on Earth.

• Gomer says:

Not only is humor subjective but blah blah BLAH BLAH BLAHHHH!

3. Jimbo says:

Yes please! I love sending boats places with stuff.

4. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

Being a sea merchant is still totally a real thing, although granted pushing huge container ships about the ocean is perhaps less romantic than what they did back in the day, when you can buy exotic spices in the corner shop down the road, and when goods from the East tend to be mass-produced by low-paid workers. At least there’s still the terror of piracy to look forward to.

5. Kakrafoon says:

The thing that sinks this for me: The boats are all wrong. In the era that game is supposed to take place in, in the Mediterranean, galleys and galleasses and lateen sails would have been the thing, not square-rigged ships trading broadsides. I call this a cheap reskin of Port Royale 3.

6. Arcanon says:

This is a game I’m gonna hate, because I actually know that part of history…since I work and study in Venice.

So of course, politics will be Assassin’s Creed meets Game of Thrones, because that’s what people expect, just that wallpaper with the mask in the background and the gondola screams STEREOTYPE!!!

Oh, and the ships are ALL WRONG! Where are the Galee???

7. Premium User Badge RedViv says:

Ah, Venice!

8. Solidstate89 says:

Good ‘ole Venice. They were always my favorite faction in Medieval II: Total War as well.

9. Premium User Badge Carra says:

Well, I can just play Venice in Europa Universalis IV…