Woo! Mossmouth Have Made Spelunky At Home On PC!

By John Walker on August 16th, 2013 at 1:45 pm.

Here’s some splendid news. Earlier this week I had a little grumblefest about the state of Spelunky’s PC port, with a lack of resolution options, and very poor windowed mode support. I also had a dig about the unskippable intro animations that were also a pain in the 360 version. Whether it was in response to my moaning, or something they were doing anyway, the really good news is that it’s all fixed! And as a result, Spelunky feels splendidly at home on the PC.

Loading the game, you’ll now see a quick start option appear on the bottom left of the screen, which fantastically dumps you right into the main entrance to the game, everything else skipped. It’s a great change, and makes the game instantly accessible.

And even better, now you can run the game at native resolutions, or any mad combination you may prefer, either in or out of a window. It’s exactly as it should be, and we can all high five, fistbump, and hug until we fall asleep in a big happy pile on the floor.

, .

1. Keyrock says:

I want in on the hugging and brofists.

2. Dharoum says:

Meh.

• Flopper says:

Any mouse support yet?

• Kitsunin says:

I imagine not, seeing as mouse support would be more than a little pointless. I can’t see why they haven’t made it possible to map buttons to mouse clicks, although I don’t really get why you would use that either. Aside from that, there really just isn’t much you can do with a mouse in a platformer.

FhnuZoag says:

Woo, great changes. Now I have no excuse not to be hopelessly addicted to this, to the detriment of my social and professional life.

:-(

golem09 says:

Awesome. Now I just need a restart button in the pause menü and the world would be perfect.
    I also just turned my 360 controller on AFTER I started the game. And it worked. Awesomesauce.

DrScuttles says:

If we remove all the griping about the port’s issues from John’s previous post, we’re left with a WIT of Spelunky that reads “it was brilliant”. Yay!

6. Totally heterosexual says:

Oh come on. Was that removed comment really so bad RPS? I thought it was pretty clever.

Anyway, this is great news. I love the old freeware spelunky but I have not yet tried this version.

• Noburu says:

Dont feel bad. Every other comment I make gets eaten. Too damn edgy I guess.

7. S Jay says:

Nice they took the feedback. Odd that it was not done before launch, considering it took a long time to appear on PCs.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Well, goods news! Strange that it came so quickly after the release. I suppose they couldn’t delay the release for some reason.

8. Branthog says:

More importantly (because it affects me, of course), is that they also added 2560×1600 for the superior 16:10 race! I can’t imagine why these options were overlooked the first time around, but addressing it as they have is *far* more than so many developers ever bother doing. Good on them!

9. sirflimflam says:

Great! This was my only hangup with this game. Otherwise it’s fantastic.

10. Laurentius says:

But can a whip be mapped to LMB? It’s crucial thing in PC version of Spelunky.

11. Turkey says:

I don’t see any Oculus Rift support, Mossmouth.

12. Cim says:

Ah man… those intro sequences was the only thing that me retain some semblance of productivity.

Being able to get into a Spelunky game in under 10 seconds is a terrible feature! Terrible I say!

13. Deadly Habit says:

And yet GOG still gets the gimped version sans the daily challenge and leaderboards, but hey don’t have to wait for menus anymore and more support for odd resolutions!

14. aircool says:

It’s still boring and annoying.

15. wavedash says:

A good change, but I don’t think I’ll be picking this up until/unless they add an option for old school graphics.

16. nindustrial says:

This is really great of them, and good to see it reported. Now I just have to decide if the primary comments that unsettled me in the WIT will still keep me from picking it up: namely, that with the likes of Teleglitch (haven’t played it yet, but soon!) and Rogue Legacy (love it!), etc., maybe Spelunky won’t do it for me.

17. Danda says:

This is so nice that not only this game has returned to my Steam Wishlist… I actually bought it!

18. Ramon45 says:

Congratulations John Walker, you just sent a public message that if you whine like a self-entitled little b*** you will get away with it.

RobF says:

Or that if you complain about something and developers can fix it, they will and more people come away happy.

• JackShandy says:

I wasn’t a fan of the original review, but I think the port concerns were completely justified and it’s fantastic that Derek’s decided to fix them..Letting people skip the opening splash screens with a button-press is good for everyone.

• Deadly Sinner says:

A critic criticized in a critique. The developer responded. Everything went exactly as it should have. Unless you actually think that these changes were a bad thing.