0x10c Cancelled For Good, But Fans Plan To Do It Anyway

By John Walker on August 19th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Edit: Notch has clarified his intentions for the immediate future in blog-wise fashion:

Last week, I participated in the 7dfps and made a hectic shooter greatly inspired by Doom, called Shambles, and it was some of the most fun programming I’ve done in many months. This is what I want to do. I want to do smaller games that can fail. I want to experiment and develop and think and tinker and tweak.

Well, YOU follow Minecraft. Marcus “Notch” Persson, having moved on from Minecraft development a year back, has been focusing on an ambitious space sim 0x10c. Except, not any more. We knew that back in April Notch had put the game “on ice”, citing creative struggles. They don’t seem to have gone away, and now – as spotted by US Gamer – he’s told some people via a Team Fortress 2 livestream that he’s given up entirely. But some fans plan to make it anyway.

And their response has been fast. The livestream comment was just over a week ago, and there’s already a fan team put together working on the project. Which is impressive in itself, since the project was already so bewilderingly far-reaching. A sandbox space sim, with a ton of FTL elements, a pile of Elite, and ambitions to create the atmosphere of Firefly. When last seen it looked (and looked only – no sound) like this:

The fan project won’t use any of Notch’s code. Unless he decides to give it to them to surprise them, I guess. They don’t even plan to use the same story. But they appear organised, with team leaders for each aspect of the game, and a desire to see whatever they imagined Notch’s game was going to be come to life.

As for Persson, we don’t yet know. He’d announced 0x10c in April 2012, so clearly put a year’s work into it. Let’s just hope he doesn’t feel the pressure to equal or better then success of Minecraft with future projects, as that would stifle any chance of his getting anywhere.

, , , .

1. SquareWheel says:

What, you mean Trillek?

edit: For anybody not getting the reference, 10c can be pronounced as “trillek” – thus the name.
    Source: http://www.intuitor.com/hex/words.html

• Leb says:

*crickets*

• spamenigma says:

Thanks for that info, the name of the fan made version makes sense now, it is called Trillek. http://www.reddit.com/r/trillek

• SquareWheel says:

No idea why they didn’t mention that in the article. It’s still only in planning stages for now though, kind of a weird time to report on it. And we’ve known 0×10^c was cancelled for ages now.

Honestly, I don’t envy the man that has his every move reported as news. That must be so damaging to creativity.

2. BTAxis says:

I doubt Notch put “a year’s work” into it, actually. A year’s occasionally prodding at it, more like. You don’t put something on ice if you haven’t been struggling with it for quite some time, usually.

• John Walker says:

Right, so April 12 to April 13, and then on ice for four months. Now cancelled. So kinda like you said.

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

I think the OP meant that Notch possibly hasn’t worked on it full-time for a year, and that he dropped it after losing momentum and running out of ideas, although granted, this is difficult to know.

I think the bigger problem is, as you point out, that Notch has no financial incentives to produce again but has the pressure on him, real or imagined, of doing something better than Minecraft, which is a pretty hard thing to overcome. Hopefully he’ll get there, but I was interested in this project, so it’s a shame it’s canned. Ah, well.

• CobraLad says:

I think Notch motivation is unclear and writers dont know what to do with him. He should be removed from season 9.

• FhnuZoag says:

I think the concept of ‘working full time’ in game design is rather vague, to begin with. Design isn’t the same as coding, it’s not a deterministic process that you can do faster or better if you spend more time, more intensively on it. “Occasionally prodding” represents a lot of how successful game designers actually work.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Looks like somebody’s got a case of the Mondays

• Premium User Badge AndrewC says:

Why, is Monday traditionally the ‘make drearily snide insinuations about Notch’ day? As I would get tired of that too.

• Shodex says:

No, Monday is traditionally the ‘make drearily snide insinuations about everything’ day. As well as the traditional ‘too tired to make any attempt at advanced thinking’ day.

• Premium User Badge AndrewC says:

‘On RPS we call those…weekdays’
            ‘heh heh heh’
            *smokes*

• stahlwerk says:

Yeah, big fat (0×10)C for effort.

• Bull0 says:

Well, I know what you meant

3. Ninja Foodstuff says:

Well, YOU follow Minecraft.

I don’t think I do… Forgive my ignorance, but is this a Twitter reference? Or is it just alluding to the possibility that everyone (except me) loves Minecraft?

• stahlwerk says:

No, (I think) it’s meant like: “Well, let’s see you create a follow-up to minecraft and we’ll see if you fare any better!”

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

I think it means “it is hard to produce something that you feel lives up to your standards if your previous game was Minecraft, and hence Notch hasn’t done so yet”. “Follow” in the sense of “produce something after it”. But yes, I see how you could read different meanings into it.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Ah! That makes sense. But doesn’t Scrolls count?

• Tuhalu says:

Since he let Minecraft go, Notch has done some game jams and struggled with 0x10c and that’s about it.

Scrolls really has no input from Notch aside from funding. Similar story with Cobalt.

Sometimes dealing with amazing success is harder than dealing with doing pretty good and that’s kind of what we are seeing here.

• sinister agent says:

Notch doesn’t work for Bethesda.

4. Premium User Badge Clavus says:

Notch is best at home during game jams it seems, large projects don’t really hold his interest for long. I got the impression he was pretty sick of Minecraft near its release, which is why Jeb took over. He knows he’s never going to top Minecraft’s success, but fans and the press will forever judge his new projects based on it. Bad spot to be in creatively.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

I can totally understand that point about large projects. Making the heart of the game, realizing the big ideas and systems, watch them grow and tune them a bit, that is loads fun. But really finishing a project, polishing it up and do all the boring trench work isn’t all that awesome. Add to that the mentioned pressure of having to top Minecraft, and I’ll be somewhat surprised if he ever makes a “proper” game by himself again.

I expect he’ll become a kind of elaborate “idea guy”, making prototypes and half working games until somewhat is promising enough to be finished by the rest of the team.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

This is only natural. Most of the biggest and best indie devs studios, since Richard Garriott was first teased for saying “hello”, that started off as one-man-bands end up in a situation where the founder is responsible for the direction but has distanced himself from the grunt work.

However. It does sound to me as though 0x10c is more a case of struggling to make the concept work, come up with the right mechanics or make the game as much fun to play as he had hoped – rather than struggling to get the thing to a polished state. I think, if he’d been able to convince himself completely that the game with it’s current direction was worth finishing, he’d have been able to get the rest of his team involved.

5. stahlwerk says:

Gah, shame about the programmable in-game computer idea, which would’ve been a real boon to teach kids and younglings about computer science-y stuff without having to resort to… (breath)… Java.

But I hope he’s in good spirits and doesn’t beat himself up about it too much, the second album is the hardest, as they say.

• Bull0 says:

Resort to java? The programming language that runs on a virtual machine, does all your garbage collection for you, and is infinitely redeployable? I think it’s a great place to start learning OOP. Much better than writing scripts for a fake computer on a spaceship.

• stahlwerk says:

Yes, for OOP it’s okay, but for an absolute beginner’s language, stuff that should be simple like getting console input is just obscene.

• Premium User Badge yhancik says:

That’s why you have Processing ;)

• adammtlx says:

I’m confused. What exactly is “obscene” about

Scanner sc = new Scanner(System.in);
          String input = sc.next();

?

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

I’m a big Python fan, although granted it has its downsides (and Java is no doubt better for OOP). Would be awesome to “discover” new packages floating through space, ready to be imported and used.

That said, Minecraft’s philosophy for programming seems to be to make everything as low-level as possible (see redstone circuits), so I can see that coding in 0×10^c would probably be in an assembly-like nightmare where everything beyond the simplest things would be like pulling teeth.

• jrodman says:

Python is better for OOP.

Java is better for “OOP” by which i mean the cargo-cult understanding of it that has to do with “encapsulation” that focuses all on getter methods and nothing about actually creating clean interfaces.

You can do an effective job in either, but Python has more support for it.

What Java does do a lot better is run fast. And so long as you are *very* picky about your libraries and frameworks it also uses less than your entire ram.

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

Out of interest, how do you get around the problem in Python that for a large package, you don’t really know what the interface of an object you’re passing into a function should be? For Java and C++ it’s explicitly stated, but for Python I don’t see a way of explicitly saying “you should have this interface if you want your input to work here”.

Getter methods are a pretty bad lens to view OOP through, though – the idea that you’re accessing the internal structure of a class is wrong, and misses the point of why you’d use objects in the first place. Objects aren’t just structs that have functions as close friends, after all (even if that’s what they are in memory). Rather, a method “Employee.salary()” might return the value of a member float called “salary” from an instance of Employee, but it really doesn’t have to. Then again, Python has the ability to make a getter function pretend to be a member variable, which is a little weird but works, I guess.

• jrodman says:

This is the kind of thinking that leads to “java is better for OOP”

A list of types does not an interface make. You have to describe it in every language, in written text, or you just made a mess.

In python, there are some conventions around underscore methods being internal, but mostly you do it with docstrings.

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

OK, so the recommended method is just to document which interface you should use. And granted, I was taught OOP by a Java programmer, so I’m just curious as to what the Pythonic way of doing it is. I never managed to find a good guide to it online (most searches for OOP python seemed to point me to how to make a class, rather than how to design good OOP in the language). I also started as a C++ programmer, hence I tend to be very protective of everything (and personally, I find low coupling to be a must for any project that’s not a small, one-shot affair).

• Premium User Badge Harlander says:

What Java does do a lot better is run fast.

Given how the way people online talk about Java has evolved, I find this statement very amusing indeed.

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

@Harlander: Well, relative to Python, sure. I once tried to get my head around the pypy vs Cython debate and only vaguely succeeded.

• stahlwerk says:

I’m facing a very similar predicament with JavaScript at the moment. We’re adapting a C++ app to be scriptable with ECMAScript by integrating Google’s V8, and the way you can’t — at all — ensure what is being passed to a function call is cause for lots and lots of checks at the boundaries. It tempts you to become very Zen about types…

• JamesTheNumberless says:

The IDEs from JetBrains (intelliJ, etc) are good for working with languages that laugh in the face of “type” such as javascript and PHP, by allowing you to insert “hints” about which type an object should be and force errors or warnings if there’s a mismatch at design/compile time.

• Reapy says:

Languages are all tools. You use the tool that makes sence for the project, the team size, the due date, the task, the delivery platforms, the target uses, what your developers have experience with, ec etc. A good developer will make a great code base out of any language, but really a lot of those best practices and high level frameworks are for keeping large projects from getting turbo fucked by the bad coders that will be working on it. They serve an important function, even though any decent coder doesn’t need to be handheld through them, lots of other people do, and those bad coders won’t know they are bad coders either.

Java has a culture on the web that makes me want to vomit, however it has been my language of choice for small/ medium cross platform tool development. I used to hate getters/setters but honestly once you start embracing more frameworks and design patterns it makes sense to have them there, and eclipse will add them for you so you don’t have to type them, even makes it easy to go back and add them later.

For teaching new coders I still think c++ is the way to go. It will cram pointers down yor throat and everyone should understand them IMHO. In java you want people to know they are passing value pointers for every object they use and the person should understand what this means more than just conceptually.

MIT starts people off with scheme, though I feel that would be better for more math oriented folks, but I haven’t had the time to dive into functional languages, I tried like 2 years ago but got distracted, ah well.

The tldr is each language is a tool in the toolbox and that’s about it.

• jrodman says:

Each language has its strengths and weaknesses.

For learning, C++ has no strengths. Really it’s the worst language ever that I make my living writing in every day. If you don’t currently have the zen of how horrible it is, start here: http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Agree with jrodman about C++ yet somehow using it feels awesome. Though I would have to be forced to make like, a game, with it ;)

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

C++ is a very powerful language with a lot of great features, and yet it is a giant pain to write in, being hugely verbose with loads of pitfalls to avoid and several ways of doing something (including the fact that it is backwards compatible with C, which leads to people thinking that malloc and pointers are a good idea in C++ code).

The benefit of it as a teaching language is that once you master it, any other language will be easy by comparison. As long as you have the time and energy to hack through it, I can see how a C++ course can teach programming concepts better than higher-level languages, which sensibly hide a lot of stuff that C++ forces you to do.

• Premium User Badge Malibu Stacey says:

As a man who has wasted countless hours fixing memory leaks in code written by my colleagues, I couldn’t agree with this more.
            Although they’re equally terrible at using new & delete too.
            And passing copies of objects which are only ever read instead of const references.
            And not knowing how to dereference a pointer when a reference is required.
            I could go on…

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

I mean, it’s not entirely their fault, the pointer model in C++ is a giant mess. You have direct values in memory, pointers (which you can in theory malloc as well as new, if you’re an idiot), references, auto_ptr, smart_ptr and probably things I’ve forgotten. Oh, and as far as I can remember auto_ptr doesn’t work with the STL’s own container classes, which is brilliant.

So who knows what you should use. I love some of C++’s features (templates and generic programming are ace, provided you like angular brackets when the thing needs debugging), but the number of ways of storing and referencing information is just bound to cause anguish. Especially since you know someone is going to “get” a C-style pointer out of your smart_ptr and then wonder why their memory is invalid later on.

• jrodman says:

The polynomial complexity of C++ is beyond excusable. You should be filling your head with the unavoidable (only mitigatable) complexity of your software. When the language is occupying such a large portion, it’s an unavoidable failure.

That’s mostly orthagonal to the manual memory management. There are countless other langauges with manual memory management that are much less complex.

• Teovald says:

I love java, but I think that python might be a better choice for a first language.
        Very easy syntax, even clearer than basic java AND you have an interpreter, which is an awesome tool to learn since it allows you to get a direct return on your code instead of writing one huge file and then see where it blocks.
        There are also a couple of java interpreters projects, but afaik, far behind python.

• Tacroy says:

No Java is terrible for learning. The signal to noise ratio is ridiculous; in order to do anything, you have to write a ton of useless boilerplate code and follow all of these weird rules.

A scripting language like Python or Ruby or Javascript or pretty much anything else is better.

• Premium User Badge DrScuttles says:

And in the case of The Downward Spiral, the best.

• BobsLawnService says:

*Sob!* Delphi *Sob!*

• JamesTheNumberless says:

All languages are ok and I’ve yet to meet a professional programmer who is incapable of using more than one. I used to list a lot of programming languages on my CV, nowadays I just tend to say I can do programming, and other lead/senior programmers in the games industry instantly understand what I mean.

Far more important than which language to learn, to anyone wanting to learn computers, is the desire to make programs. You can show kids what a program is far more effectively with something like Scratch, than you can with a C compiler. Kids these days aren’t going to see how a command prompt has anything to do with a computer, not like we did in the 80s when it was the default environment for the machines we played games on. However the kids of today are learning computers, it’s probably in ways that are more interesting to them as kids, than to their parents as adults.

• stahlwerk says:

Yeah, maybe we should adapt that adage about camera phones…

The best programming language for a problem is the one that’s with you at the time.

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

I remember reading a blog post recently that argued that while more and more people are using computers, advances in OS design mean that they don’t have the skills to fix problems or understand how computers behave on a deep level. I disagree with the author that this is a fatal issue (their argument was that a better understanding of computers would lead to a lower tolerance of PRISM-style illegal government surveillance), but it is worth noting that the ability to browse the web or use Word by learning each of its systems in a formal way isn’t sufficient training for highly technical jobs.

The advantage of lower-level languages like C as teaching languages is that it makes the concepts you’re using a bit clearer, such as pointers and memory allocation. For example, in Python if you assign a to b, you can often assign by reference, and then get confused that when you modify the contents of b it modifies a as well (this caught me out recently, which meant I had to reprocess 10TB of data due to my foolishness). But granted, just getting shit done is better with Python, and nothing is more likely to put kids off of programming than dealing with errors in semicolons and brackets rather than making amazing things fast. Equally, perhaps teaching app programming might be more relevant if kids don’t even own a general-purpose computer and view the world through a tablet or phone.

• Premium User Badge Malibu Stacey says:

Any chance you have a link for that article? Sounds worth a read if you can find it.

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

You’re lucky I only follow a handful of people on Twitter (was retweeted by someone about a week ago): http://www.coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

(And yeah, the writer comes across as a bit of an Angry Sysadmin, but I suppose the point should stand regardless of the temperament of the article).

• Premium User Badge Malibu Stacey says:

I work in a software development team of around 30 people & that article applies to around 2/3rds of my colleagues.

Yes these are people who write software professionally but fail at basic concepts of how computers work.

• Teovald says:

I think java only get a bad name because it is so popular. It is used by everyone everywhere, and of course people mostly complain about the pieces of garbage that were written in java.
        There are also exemplary pieces of software written in this language : IntelliJ IDEA, Ant, Maven & Gradle comes to mind, not to mention the best Android apps (that run on top of Dalvik not the JVM, but that’s still mostly the same language).

• stahlwerk says:

Also, Minecraft. ;)

• adammtlx says:

I’m a recent convert from Netbeans to IntelliJ.

Man, IntelliJ rocks.

Maven is a daily part of my life. It has its issues but they aren’t because of Java.

6. AlwaysRight says:

Although the concept sounded interesting. I definitely don’t have time to learn how to code to play a game.

• The Random One says:

You wouldn’t have to, not any more than Redstone in Minecraft forces you to have a mechatronics diploma to play.

7. BobsLawnService says:

This isn’t surprising at all and I can’t say I’m overly disappointed. The whole project sounded like nothing but a wishlist of overly-ambitious, impossible to execute well ideas from the get-go. Minecraft succeeded because it was a simple idea implemented well (And an incredible amount of luck.) Maybe he should start again with a simple framework for a space sim, release that and expand upon it gradually. It’s going to be much easier to keep his interest that way.

8. Pich says:

Poor guy. He needs a vacation.

• RichardDastardly says:

He’s been on vacation for the past few years. There’s a lack of motivation with Notch. It seems to be why Scrolls is taking so long to develop.

• Pich says:

The joke

Your head

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Jeez, it’s basic internet etiquette. All sarcasm must be postfixed with “(just kidding)” or at the very least a winking smilie. Otherwise people’s auto-response reflexes don’t know what to trigger off of. People cannot be expected to both read, and think. That would require two brains!

• jonahcutter says:

Jeez, because dry sarcasm never gets mistaken in real life.

You don’t need to jump on someone with both feet just because they missed a joke.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Hm, It tends not to though, at least not for me. maybe I’m subconsciously nodding and winking the whole time…. Or maybe…

My God, maybe all this time people have been taking me seriously!

Fair point though, there was no need, and I apologize. That came across too cynically.

9. Bull0 says:

Quite optimistic about a fan effort. It’s a great concept. And as ever, it’s exciting to think Notch is dreaming up something else, now.

10. Premium User Badge DrScuttles says:

Pretty neat for people to pick up an abandoned idea and try to develop it into something workable. It would be even better if Persson were to share his work with them (provided he’s serious about ceasing development).
    Whether or not this will produce anything workable is obviously up in the air. Or sideways in space or whatever. They would appear to have the strength in numbers, but they’re also happening upon that dark and murky path of fan development. Black Mesa got lost in those woods for years.

11. MeestaNob says:

I admire their enthusiasm for a big ol’ collaborative effort to build the game, but WHAT GAME? As far as has been shown by Notch, it was just a collection of systems and clever in-game (semi-powerful) programming toys set inside a 3D space – so an elaborate version of the computer interface in Doom 3 then?

If we accept that the fans are going to go away and build “A” game with the assets and engine that have been developer so far then fine, but if they are going to continue the work of 0x10c and “finish” it, just what the hell are they making? I think they need to realise that so far 0x10c was just an elaborate tech-demo/toy and get on with their lives…

• Sir Buildbot Winslave says:

Perhaps they found more information about Notch’s intentions and didn’t just watch a WIP-video? From there they might have formed an idea of what the game was supposed to be. And then they decided to get on with their lives and make it.

12. TRS-80 says:

Is Notch now Peter Molyneux, spinning out ideas for the community to pick up?

• Cruzer says:

He’s not as good or bad as Molyneux, in good and bad ways.

13. The Taxidermist says:

Maybe Markus Persson is just a “one hit” millionaire. I don’t think he has been spending a whole year in a game that is not coming out. Too much time.

• HothMonster says:

He has no pressure to release anything if he isn’t happy with it. Designing a game that revolves around an in-game programming is no small feat.

He can go back to the drawing board or shelf it till he has a breakthrough. The money silos will not be emptied this winter.

14. Leb says:

I don’t understand the Notch Lemmings to be honest.

Minecraft at it’s core, is a good idea. But with the updates from Jeb & the craziness the mod community is doing with it (Thanks FTB team & modders) – Notch’s influence on the greatness of minecraft is becoming smaller and smaller.

I mean, I applaud the guy, I love how he puts his fame & fortune into helping other indie’s start up as well. But – as he has expressed in interviews – this fame came out of no where and he was not expecting it, he’s gone from working on a small project to owning a top selling PC (& now Xbox and mobile) games in a long time.

It’d be like being a regular RPS commenter, and then waking up to find out that you have become Lord Custard – the pressure of those expecting you to write something so awesome in any situation!

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Careful now, do not summon up that which you cannot put down!

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Come to think of it I’m still waiting for that knighthood he once promised me. Get the old bugger in here so he can explain himself! It’s as if I’ve not been attending the right fox hunts, or something.

• Premium User Badge Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Sir, you didn’t collect it in time and I donated it to Oxfam. Your knighthood is currently held by an orphan in Abyssinia. To retrieve it, please contact Sir Dabir via the Abyssinian embassy.

• Premium User Badge Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Whuz? Bah! *shakes stick*
        *vanishes in a puff of pipe smoke*

• The Random One says:

I wouldn’t mind that one bit. Maybe then people would respect my opinions – such as what is the ONLY acceptable aspect ratio.

15. Beelzebud says:

Notch needs to learn something from Valve: If you have nothing to show off, just don’t talk about it.

He never should have announced this “game”, and posted the weird Quake DM with TF2 models video. A lot of us could see there was really nothing there beyond a concept, and a bunch of partially started game systems.

• TechnicalBen says:

Or treat it AS a gamejam. Then he can talk about the cool little pixel shooter, release it and see if it goes minecraft style (mods/fans extend the actual gameplay).

16. vivlo says:

Notch, the Man Who Makes Half Games Which Are Finished By His Fans ?

17. crinkles esq. says:

1) Hey guess what Notch, if you don’t want people to steal your idea, don’t blab about it until the game is mostly done.
    2) Don’t then act like a drama queen that’s suffering through the slings and arrows of fame. People taking your idea had little to do with this, only your inability to apply yourself. If running your company or overseeing other projects had you too busy, just own up to that. Perhaps you should have just hired a team to build it for you.
    3) You don’t have to live up to the pressure of your first album. The problem is, you’re rich now and don’t have to produce work to put food on the table, so you’re avoiding moving forward. You’re trapped by the fear. So now your plan is to produce something so small that it can’t be compared with Minecraft, thus your legacy remaining secure. Like a band making a great debut album and then just releasing 10 second songs here and there.
    4) I wonder how small a project will have to be for Notch to finish it? Is there a fractal algorithm to describe this?

• waaaaaaaals says:

He probably shouldn’t complain about others taking ideas from him, somebody might remind him Infiniminer was a thing.

Besides that when was people having too much interest or hype for an unfinished game a problem to him?

I get the feeling he’s going to develop a bit of a Romero complex and fall flat on his face while trying to recreate the success.

• Premium User Badge darkChozo says:

AFAIK, he hasn’t complained. The news ’til today was essentially that things were happening (0x10c mentioned to not be a thing anymore, then some fans decided to pick up the concept), and today we get Notch’s blog post that indicates that he’s perfectly okay with it.

Honestly, this just seems to be an example of people treating indie transparency with the same sort of scrutiny as AAA press releases. Notch shows off a clearly-unfinished prototype of a game idea, people treat it as an announcement, people get sad later on when it doesn’t go anywhere, as prototypes are wont to do. Add in some tech-people-who-don’t-know-how-to-handle-internet-fame-getting-internet-famous and the resulting publicity flubs, and it’s a recipe for Internet drama.

• crinkles esq. says:

From a BBC article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23754311), Notch apparently said during a livestream, “”I was streaming code and someone copied all the code and made their own version of it, that was kind of the start of the decline of 0x10c. I realised the community was more powerful than I had the energy for.” And, “”I stopped developing 0x10c because everyone started caring about it before it was even done.”

• Bhazor says:

That doesn’t sound like a complaint that sounds more like “I couldn’t face that level of fan scrutiny right now”. 0x10c is a big ambitious project and after like 5 years on Minecraft he would probably prefer something smaller like Scrolls.

18. DrManhatten says:

Notch is the John Carmack of the 2010s he is absolutely overrated. I couldn’t care less what he has to say or does.

• stahlwerk says:

Yeah, he’s so overrated, some people even call him John Carmack of the 2010s….

what?

• Grygus says:

If you would describe John Carmack as “absolutely overrated” then either you have a weak grasp on what he has done, or you’re listening to other people with that problem. Even if he never does anything useful ever again, his contributions to video gaming make him an important figure.

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

It should be clear that notch doesn’t particularly court accolades. He freely admits that his coding isn’t great, for example. He had the intelligence and good fortune to create something that resonated with a lot of people, has openly communicated with the community which helped grow his public image, made a ton of money, and that’s about it.

• Beelzebud says:

John Carmack pioneered 3d graphics engines and programming for video games. He was never over-rated. Get some perspective.

19. Runs With Foxes says:

It’s like you people don’t realise how many games are abandoned at the pre-production or prototype or early production stages. A hell of a lot of them are. You just don’t hear about it. Sounds like Notch’s crime was to share his work with people who are interested. I can’t believe people are suggesting he should start acting like a big publisher instead, keeping quiet and ignoring everyone who would like to know what he’s working on. Someone even suggested he should behave like Valve, which I guess means saying nothing for almost a decade about a game people really want to hear about.

20. scatterlogical says:

Meh, I’m not exactly disappointed by this news. 0x10c looked pretty pathetic actually. It just needed a model of an AK47 tacked onto it and it would be a perfect ‘first effort’ from some aspiring 15-yr old.

As much as I love Minecraft, it’s a pretty terribly coded game that mostly fluked success, and rides a lot on the support of the mod community. I don’t have much faith in Mojang to deliver another decent title, let alone another hit like that.

21. czerro says:

Cancelled? Was Notch ever officially pitching this as a game? I guess I haven’t been following this, but it seemed like a concept he was playing around with while testing some engine work. Ultimately he didn’t feel like it was growing into something? I don’t understand what the hype is about this ‘turn of events’. As to Minecraft…it’s a threadbare lego environment. It’s barely a game and there is no complexity in the programming itself. How can Notch top the phenomenon of a thing that is barely a thing? It’s impossible, and it’s success has nothing to do with Notch or the merits of the game itself. Notch will never be heard from again, and Minecraft will disappear into obscurity just as farmville and other meme-like gaming fads.

22. snake13 says:

Reading about this now…. i remember i found a video some days ago on yt. Can this be some secret 0x10c version???