At Last, A Sequel To F1 2012! The F1 2013 Trailer

By Craig Pearson on August 19th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Meowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
You know that bit in expensive movies, when a burly man stands in front of a crowd and makes a speech that sounds like: “Today is the edge of tomorrow. The time is now for us to put up a fight that your children’s children’s children’s grandchildren will talk about. We will batter our foes. We will flatten them, flip them off, and then squeeze lemon juice in their eyes. Today is Pancake Day!”? Well that is probably what inspired this new trailer for F1 2013. It is the most Alan Partridge game trailer I’ve seen in quite some time. But the cars are pretty, the wheels are bouncy, and if the trailer is enough to keep John’s new kitten entertained, then I have every reason to post it.

While Lucy will not have to worry about her purchasing decisions, the rest of us will have a choice: the Standard Edition comes with all the official 2013 tracks, cars and drivers, as well as 10 drivers, five cars, and two tracks from the ’80s. But there’s the Classic Edition, which adds seven more drivers from the ’90s, with six more cars and another pair of tracks. That run is limited to 10,000, but I’m betting it ends up DLC fodder. The full list is here.

If you have a cat handy, get him or her to watch this trailer and post a photo below. I must see if this fascination is universal, or if Lucy is special. If it’s the latter, there might be a sponsorship deal in the making.

It will vroom into your hearts on October 4th.

, , .

1. Premium User Badge tigerfort says:

I think I speak on behalf of every reasonable member of the RPS readership when I say “oooh, kitteh!” and demand more pictures.

Sorry, was there something about a game, too?

Edit to add, having watched the trailer: That is just a teensy bit pretentious for a racing game, isn’t it.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Get a kitten!

• KwisatzHaderach says:

Not at all: history is indeed written by the ones who win F1 racing games! Forgot who said that though…

• Fox89 says:

Haven’t you heard of a little thing called showmanship?

• Annamarie44 says:

my neighbor’s aunt makes $73 an hour on the laptop. She has been without a job for 9 months but last month her pay was $15203 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site..>>> http://7.ly/TDH

2. Khann says:

And it will have the same bugs/issues that it has had since 2010.

A shame, because there is quite an enjoyable game underneath some questionable design decisions and half-assed implementation.

3. sinister agent says:

“Mild lyrics”?

4. Premium User Badge DrScuttles says:

Having no interest in F1 whatsoever, I’m here solely for the gratuitous kitten. You see, I am allergic to cats and am therefore unable to experience joy except vicariously through pictures of them on the internet.

5. SuicideKing says:

KITTEN KITTEN KITTEN KITTEN KITTEN

On topic:

Is F1 the FIFA of racing? I mean, “F1 2013″ is just so bland.

6. BTAxis says:

Do want!

The kitten, not the game.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Kittens are hard to come by mind, literally no one knows where they come from and how to get one. We were given one from an umwanted litter two months back by aliens. There are no more left now, anywhere, on this planet or in the universe, so you just have to look at pictures on the internet and post on forums about wanting one!? You literally couldn’t ring a cat shelter and get one, if you really wanted one, it is impossible!

FFS!

• Lone Gunman says:

Whilst I’m sure most people find kittens adorable (except those strange dog people) owning a pet requires time, somewhere to put it when you go away and more expenses. Going ahhhh at a computer screen cost nothing.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Dogs are better than cats, it’s a simple fact! That’s why we have a retarded Lab Retriever(to think they are used as guide dogs, HA!) and a genius borderline neurotic Border Collie Lurcher and only one the one kitten!……for now!

And as for going Aaah at a monitor, go and fuckin volunteer at a cat rescue centre if you like cats and kittens but can’t afford one, I’m sure they would absolutely love the help!
          Edit every animal we have ever had the pleasure of sharing our lives with has been a rescue. If you are responsible and like animals, DO IT NOW!!!!

7. Premium User Badge Faldrath says:

Yeah, really not enough here to justify a purchase if you have 2012. Classic stuff is nice, but some of the choices are questionable (and others limited by licensing issues). If the classic stuff ever becomes a full *season* instead of just a few challenges, then things would get far more interesting.

Other than that, the best change is the ability to save during races, which should be very helpful for crazy people like me who like to run 100% distance races. I’m still probably going to skip it, at least until it gets heavily discounted.

8. Premium User Badge Simplisto says:

I love Formula 1 but I’ll be giving this a miss. I enjoyed F1 2010 despite all its bugs but the fact that they STILL weren’t fixed in F1 2012 is unforgivable. They aren’t just little glitches either – they have a huge impact on how a race plays out.

I was also disappointed to see the career mode pulled back with the removal of interviews and paddock etc. Sure, it was mostly filler but I appreciated that extra bit of effort. I also don’t like the third-person cut-scenes of your driver. The driver is supposed to be me!

9. Cytrom says:

Umm.. am I the only one who thinks its marketing suicide, that they release the “2013″ game when the 2013 season is ending (or ended? not really following f1 nowadays…).

The whole point of the game would be capitalise on F1 fans who are following and reenacting the events of the real F1 races. I used to watch it myself a bunch of years ago, and I’d have been pumped to jump into my virtual car after or before watching the real event (unfortunately that was before codemasters got the rights for F1) and race with the current real lineup names and stables… while my enthusiasm dropped like a rock in beetween seasons (thus I’d have been much less likely to get the game). Or worse yet, they release it closer to the 2014 season when nobody cares about the outdated last years lineup. In fact its better to play with fictional names than outdated, irrelevant names at that point.

• Premium User Badge Faldrath says:

Strange as this sounds, this isn’t Codemasters’ fault, as far as I know. It’s a restriction imposed by FIA itself.

10. phelix says:

My cat is only interested in computer screens when they smell like fish.

11. Lone Gunman says:

More RPS writer cat pics please!

• Ross Angus says:

What about reader’s cats? I’ll take any old moggy pics.

12. Premium User Badge Hodge says:

Lucky that voiceover man was on hand to explain what the game is about, I’d have been completely lost otherwise.

13. Pockets says:

That wasn’t anything like Crash Bang Wallop! What A Video :(

14. Jason Moyer says:

I’d buy it if they had a version that stripped everything out but the 80′s cars/tracks and Murray Walker.

Edit: For some unknown reason the classic pack includes the Ferrari 92A, which is one of the worst F1 cars ever designed. Also 2 cars from 1988 but not the only car that was actually competitive that year. Can’t wait!

• Pockets says:

Woah woah woah, it has Murray Walker?! I’ve instantly gone from not caring to day 1 purchase.

Damnit, “Introduced by”. I was hoping for full on FIFA-esque commentary. Sounds like a downgrade to “when on sale”. :(

15. mpk says:

My kitten was not impressed.

16. Raiyan 1.0 says:

WHEEL FAIRING OR GTFO

17. Ragabhava says:

How about “Formula 2″ for a sequel instead ?

18. Keyrock says:

The “Gratuitous Kitten” tag is sadly underused.

19. Fox89 says:

“That run is limited to 10,000, but I’m betting it ends up DLC fodder”

Just to let you know it has already been confirmed that the Classic Mode content will also be available as DLC soon after launch. So good if you want to wait until it’s on Steam Sale or something.

20. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Came for Alan Partidge, stayed for the kittens.

21. The Random One says:

Him or her? My cat is outside of the gender binary, you insensitive bastard.

22. Thathanka says:

It amazes me that anyone would be excited for this game. It’s been a terrible, bug- strewn, mechanically incompetent franchise but still people eat it up. This year they seem to have added nothing but cars from the past that no-one will want to drive – but like the perennial Madden roster update, some will get excited over this turd.

• mpk says:

I’d actually be very happy to drive Mansell’s Red 5 Williams as that’s from the era when I began watching F1. That said, I had trouble getting round the first chicane at Monza in the demo for F1 2012 and couldn’t find a control option that successfully let me complete a lap so there’s very little chance I’ll play F1 2013, especially as the blog linked above states they wont release a demo.

23. arccos says:

Where do you attach the rocket launchers to the cars? Or the machine guns, even?

Are you sure this is a video game?