North & South: Teslagrad Demo Out

By John Walker on August 19th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

As we know, leading scientists still have no idea how magnets work. Is it witchcraft? Is it angels holding things together between their wings? We’ll likely never know. But employing their dangerous mystery is Teslagrad, a very charming platformer in which you PUNCH metal objects to magnetise them. Just like real life.

You apparently play the part of the Teslamancer, although this demo version doesn’t include things like an introduction, explanation, etc. Instead you’re straight in, surfing magnetic waves, and pretty soon donning a glove that lets you slap polarity into things.

The animations are superb, and from the trailer above, there’s clearly a lot more going on than you’ll find in the demo. And maybe there’s more going on in the demo after the stupid boss fight I couldn’t be bothered to get past. Sigh. Up until then I was having a good time, reversing magnets to fling myself about. See if you’re as better than me as you think you are.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Syra says:

You know you’re right, you can actually alter a thing’s magnetic field by giving it a good thwack.

• JFS says:

Thwacking things de-magnetizes them, doesn’t it? So Wlaker is right, he game is pure fantasy!

• Annamarie44 says:

my neighbor’s aunt makes $73 an hour on the laptop. She has been without a job for 9 months but last month her pay was $15203 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site..>>> http://7.ly/TDH

2. sinister agent says:

Aw. For a second I thought someone was doing a sequel to North and South on the Amiga. That was a great game, like a stripped down Total War: American Civil War, with just the right amount of French silliness.

Also the native tune was cool.

Edit:: Yaaaay internet! Native attack tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CHcoemBuUZ0&t=1891

• Ross Angus says:

I am getting all manner of flashbacks now.

• strangeloup says:

Man, I loved that game :D

I mean, I guess it seems a bit weird now to depict an actual real war in a silly cartoony fashion, but at the time it worked. It’s oddly reminiscent of TF2, actually.

• patrickpeppers says:

Exactly what I thought, although I played the much crappier NES version.

• John Walker says:

That was the game to which I was so cleverly punning. I’d love to see it come back too.

• Zorn says:

I was thinking the same thing, although I played the Atari ST version. Sometimes I think that
      kindergarden friend of mine was the only who actually had such a computation device, all the others of us had a C-64, there was one SNES in town. Played Popolous, Wonderboy in Monsterland and Puffy on it too. But, North & South, oh man!

3. GamesInquirer says:

You should probably also link to the developers’ blog post about the release which includes information for the speedrun contest giving players the chance to win an autographed soundtrack CD.

This game is shaping up beautiful in every way.

4. f4stjack says:

PUNCH FOR THE PUNCH GOD, MAGNETISM FOR THE MAGNET THRONE!

5. lowprices says:

I think I know where that “magnet” link will take me.

*Clicks on link*

Yup. Fuckin’ Scientists.

Speaking of which, this looks very good. I shall be sure to make room in my heart for it once I’ve gotten over my Spelunky addiction.

6. Hmm-Hmm. says:

John, for a moment there I thought you were quoting an episode of Look Around You. I imagine that’s a good thing.

7. Kein says:

For the love of the god I dare you to have patience and reach that boss. Finish him. You will be rewarded, believe me. Suddenly. boring gameplay will change its polarity.

8. chemcukh says:

The game looks really nice and watching the trailer reminded me of earlier Apocalyptica albums somehow.