Look What We Can Post About: The Division

By Ben Barrett on August 20th, 2013 at 11:30 am.

In the least surprising news of the year, it looks like The Divi sorry: definitely in some way involved Tom Clancy’s The Division will be making the jump to PC when it’s released towards the end of next year. Back in June, Ubisoft were asking players to sign a petition to bring the title our way, Jim rather rightly implying that it would have no effect and the decision had already been made. Now in a video from Massive’s Fredrik Rundqvist, Executive Producer on the game, the almost inevitable has been theatrically announced. See below.

Snark aside, I’m pleased The Division is headed our way as that E3 trailer was one of the more exciting things I saw out of the conference.

So, did anyone sign the petition? Are you pleased with your achievement?

And here’s the latest trailer:

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. XhomeB says:

I’m really happy for everyone who was hoping for this to happen.
    But… it’s an MMO… which means I won’t play it. Hopefully, they’ll create a good single player PC game one day using this engine.

• Synesthesia says:

It doesnt look like one though, does it? MMOs bore me to bits, but i see no 10 button quickbar here, and the action actually looks fun. First one im looking kinda forward to.

• Flopper says:

Planetside 2 is an MMO. Mixing up MMO and MMORPG is common. MMO is just a game with a lot of players. Massively Multiplayer Online game. I guess it should be called an MMOG. XD

Edit: Also I am very excited for this! I felt a knife through my gamer heart after I watched through the entire E3 gameplay vid only to see it was console only. It was my favorite game of E3.

cairbre says:

Today was a good day. Didnt use my AK.

3. LycanGav says:

Playa powa!

DarkLiberator says:

I don’t think it was ever in doubt. MMO, Tom Clancy, Ubisoft game. Usually means PC one way or another. The game looks great, love the detail.

• Mbaya says:

Indeed, I’m happy they’ve released the details now rather than waiting closer to the console launch however. I still have some level of doubt when it comes to Ubisoft and PC titles, hehe.

5. Seiniyta says:

I wonder if the game will still look as good once it’s released. Ubisoft has a tendency to pretty their game demo’s up before scaling things down for the release. (See: Far Cry 3, and even recent Watch Dogs footage doesn’t look as good as the announcement gameplay)

• Bull0 says:

I think they probably start at the best visual fidelity achievable and revise it downwards for the purposes of optimization as development progresses.

• Benny says:

Pretty much. Most demos are heavily scripted too, so they have a lot more leeway on the graphic end, tweaking particle effects to look perfect for a single explosion or selective destructible environments etc.

The real question is whether they’re aiming for 30 or 60fps on consoles. As that will impact the environment and effects quality most.

6. betadays.co.uk says:

Ubisoft knew we wanted it (and guess they were going to make a PC verison), but they let the hype wagon roll for as long as possible.

7. BobbyDylan says:

If it’s as good as it looks, I’ll try it. I’m not into MMO’s, but this looks exceptional.

golem09 says:

I stil don’t understand that the press keeps repeating that “Ubisoft were asking players to sign a petition” nosense. It was one dev, hoping the be allowed to make one. It was even worse when some sites back then stated that Ubisoft had made an official petition.

9. Abendlaender says:

I think it was a good division by Ubisoft to bring The Decision to PC.

10. Smion says:

I did not sign the petition, however I am still pleased with my achievment of fixing my parents’ balcony and only getting a minor number of life-threatening injuries. What achievments are you pleased about fellow RPSers?

11. skyturnedred says:

All I need now is some friends that play PC games.

12. RaoulDuke says:

I like the way the “players” call out locations of enemies at the police station section, even though they all have RED BARS above their heads, *slightly* giving them away even when behind cover…

Why don’t these people talk & play like normal games-playing people do, obviously I understand that they are a large company [Big money-pants etc] who want to present a product and have it be taken seriously but come on the games industry isn’t the film industry where suspension of disbelief is king. It’s already broken when she says:

“I’ve got my group-heal ready”
    Riiiiiight, whats that then? Unmanned Aeriel Syringes?

My fondest memories with friends in games are well… pissing about.
    Not pretending I’m a real “future-soldier” in a ‘future-war” fighting for… oh fuck off.
    You can still enjoy a narrative without LARPing the characters in the game.

When he said “Should we check out those sewers” the woman replying should’ve said
    “Nah don’t worry about it, we’re playing a computer game and that event won’t trigger until, you know, we trigger it”.

• Synesthesia says:

You know, people might like different stuff than you. Getting into the game is fun, and plenty of people like it. it sounds and feels cool.

Most arma sessions usually sound a bit like that, and its fun as hell. Arma is the best role playing game i’ve laid mi hands on.

• nearly says:

I’m going to go ahead and assume you’re not trolling and say that the E3 trailer had some of the most natural and realistic player dialogue I’ve ever heard in promotional footage, and that out of everything I saw from E3, it looked and sounded the most like gamers actually playing a game.

Also I’m pretty sure “Should we check out those sewers” doesn’t mean “are we going to get ambushed from there” but “do you want to go do the sewer mission right now.”

G-Lord says:

“Are you pleased with your achievement?”

Yes, very much so actually thanks for asking. I hope that Massive will one day return to their real-time tactics roots though.

14. mda says:

I signed. I’m happy. Pals and I very much wanted to see this on PC. Looks awesome for group PVP battles. Only thing is if it doesn’t have Australian servers, we’re screwed. Shooting with 300-500 ping (what aussies get to most MMOs)? Nope :(

15. onsamyj says:

My favorite game from E3, easily. And yes, I signed the petition, but I’m pretty sure it was more of a marketing (ploy? testing waters? who knows) from Ubi, then demand from gamers.

Your move, I-want-to-be-on-everything, “Destiny”.

Gap Gen says:

I thought the E3 CGI trailer was pretty hamfisted stuff, mostly generic waffle with no real substance (compared to, say, Watch Dogs the year before) but I’m sure the game will play how it plays regardless of the setting, or perhaps the trailer undersold it. At the very least, anything that captures the tactical rush of Raven Shield is worth looking at.

17. povu says:

Gee guys we did it, we signed the petition and they listened, isn’t Ubisoft awesome?

Or it was just a clever marketing trick to make fans advertise the game across the internet for free. Remember the last Ubisoft game that didn’t come to PC? I don’t. :P

Anyway, good news I guess.

18. Turkey says:

Watching those marketing videos is like being transported to an alternate reality that I can’t quite properly process.

El_MUERkO says:

I liked the look of the video but my concern is the shops and buildings around the player are largely set dressing. If none of it is enter-able, interactive or explortable then the player will quickly tune it out.

El_MUERkO says:

“explortable”, I’ve accidentally created a new bullshit word, now to associate with something… a game that’s explore-able and portable… Minecraft?

@Notch, all the moneys plz!

20. bongosabbath says:

This actually looks quite impressive. I’m excited. It’s pretty too – the way light diffused through smoke was especially eye-catching.