Running Out Of Real Words – Aarklash: Legacy

By Ben Barrett on August 20th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Given the length of time it takes me to come up with each new article title, I understand how difficult naming things can be, so I’m sympathetic but intrigued as to what exactly an “Aarklash” is. Once provided with the Legacy subtitle I know a metamorphosis takes place, creating an isometric, party-based RPG coming exclusively to PC. Rumour (also known as hard fact) has it that developers Cyanide Studio are putting the focus on difficulty, forcing players to consider positioning and ability usage of their four man person creature party in even the most basic of fights. Essentially, if the words “very difficult Planescape Torment” cause a physical reaction in your parts, this may be the game for you. A new trailer dispels a few more mysteries after the cut.

Ah, it was the place the fantasy RPG was set. I had a fifty/fifty on it being that or the name of the bad guy.

Voice-over that would be more fitting introducing the works of Michael Bay aside, I’m pretty intrigued. The design of the races is awesome, particularly the half-lizard half-lady with the ginormahuge sword and outside of the “human mage” each seems to have something unique to it. Quite interested in seeing what that dwarven inventor will get up to. It’s possible the end result won’t be able to distinguish itself from Baldur’s Pack, flavour-wise, but they’re taking a decent stab at it.

Having seen a little more of the game elsewhere, many skills require precise timing and aim otherwise they’ll hinder more than help, which further emphasises the differences between this and its ilk. Whether the obviously limited choices in regards to skills – each character has four, with two branching points per – will limit the game is up for debate, but there’s a history of less choices allowing each to mean more. Interested? All can be revealed to you on September 12th via Steam, but for now check out the official website for all the usual extras.

, .

1. Premium User Badge Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

An Aarklash is a whip made from braided aardvark nose-hair.

• The Random One says:

I thought it was the unexpected public outcry when you announce you plan to build a wooden boat and fill it with two of every aardvark. Was I using it wrong?

2. gravity_spoon says:

I must change my pants. Sorry folks. brb

3. InternetBatman says:

I think it’s a bad idea to compare yourself to legends in a field. It’s more than a bit arrogant, and ends up creating expectations that are hard to fulfill. We’ll see if it’s a difficult Planescape Torment when it comes out.

• Ben Barrett says:

They aren’t comparing themselves, that was just me attempting to sum the game up in as few words as possible. ‘Planescape Torment’ was just the first party-based isometric RPG to come to mind.

• xsikal says:

Not to nitpick, but it’s probably a bad choice. Planescape: Torment is best known for its storytelling, strange setting, and the fact that it really was not about combat (unlike the rest of the infinity engine games), whereas this looks more like a fairly standard tactical RPG. You probably would have been better off going with Baldur’s Gate as a comparison.

• Ben Barrett says:

I did have Baldur’s Gate written but didn’t want to reuse it with the “Baldur’s Pack” pun later. Comment thread has taught me not to mention PS:T off the cuff ever again.

• GamesInquirer says:

Bad comparison is still bad. Should have used Icewind Dale if any since this is all about the combat and is usually not even advertised as an RPG opting for the tactical fantasy game or something along those lines.

4. Reapy says:

Aarklash: World of Corridors

Cyanide is always an X factor, great models in all their games, shaky engines. Some neat concepts going on here though, might possibly be fun, but definitely one to sit on till some reviews pour in.

• mrpage says:

I agree that a lot of their ideas have been interesting but have they ever actually delivered a decent, playable game?

Even with Blood Bowl the implementation is bad, it’s just that they got to start with Blood Bowl.

• gorkomatic says:

“Have they ever actually delivered a decent, playable game?”

Game of Thrones, the RPG one? I liked the story, though from a technical standpoint it was a bit of a mess.

• mrpage says:

That’s the thing – it would be really nice if they could produce something that wasn’t a mess on the technical side.

5. Nater says:

Just make a Confrontation: Dogs of War simulator already.

Update: I guess they are working on a F2P game… ugh.

6. gorkomatic says:

“Very difficult Planescape Torment”
    Which tells us precisely… nothing? If there’s one thing that PS:T wasn’t about – it’s combat.

I really fail to see how this is any similar to Planescape, except for “it’s 2.5D, party based and in a non-vanilla setting”.

• His Divine Shadow says:

I’ll have to second that. I think this game’s and PS:T’s design foci are clashing.

7. Ringwraith says:

Even though everyone only has four skills, each of the two upgrade paths for them seem to change them significantly in usage, like the straight-line healing shot either healing everything it passes through or merely damaging enemies it hits.
    Also, you get more than four characters, so you can swap people in and out when needed, and they of course have their own set of four skills with two upgrade paths for each.

8. Turkey says:

Movie voice: “EQUIP YOUR CHARACTER WITH OVER 100 DIFFERENT WIZARD HATS!”

9. SnowCrash says:

Was really excited until i read “pre made characters” then all of a sudden all the excitement went away, no thanks. If i dont get to make my own characters there is no point to this.

• Strangerator says:

But there is a point… with all pre-made characters this can easily tack on a MOBA mode post release… unless it is actually releasing with one. I don’t know, something about this game strikes me as much less an RPG and much more a MOBA.

• GamesInquirer says:

I don’t think ingrained pause functions suit online games very well so I have no idea where your assumption is based on.

• GamesInquirer says:

What an awful reason to avoid some of the greatest games of all time, from Planescape: Torment to Baldur’s Gate II (you could make characters on the latter but the main character couldn’t be replaced iirc, and you missed out on tons of story with custom characters) and Gothic. Not that this is comparable to the former two that it appears to resemble at first glance, again it’s more about the tactical combat.

10. Sian says:

The game does interest me, but the combat looked kind of weak. The attacks had no impact and the health bars barely moved, which led to creatures bashing each other on the head to no apparent effect. Maybe this will change in the release version, but I doubt it.

This isn’t a huge problem for me – when I’m playing a game, I tend not to notice such things very much. But just watching made combat seem lifeless.

• Ringwraith says:

By watching someone play it, that will be the least of your worries.
      You’ll be busy juggling the fights themselves.

11. Phendron says:

Anything less than 55 weapon categories and 15 swappable 80-point skills trees unique to each of the 12 playable classes is a waste of time by my book.

12. Commissar Choy says:

I saw some gameplay of this and it looks rather fun. The combat is supposed to be really challenging so yay.

13. crinkles esq. says:

Control four characters at the same time, in a real-time Action-RPG? I just don’t get why people find this kind of combat exciting. It’s fighting the UI instead of fighting monsters.

• GamesInquirer says:

It’s real time with pause. As in, you can give orders while the game is paused. You never played Infinity Engine games like Baldur’s Gate II and Icewind Dale? Your loss.

14. vahnn says:

Force Strategy Gaming on youtube has a couple great 25 minute videos playing through some Aarklash. This game looks fantastic!