Bleeding Babies: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Trailer

By Craig Pearson on August 21st, 2013 at 12:30 pm.

This was me after watching the trailer
After Ed McMillen quietly announced The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth last year, the snazzy, SNES-style remake of the disturbing rogue-like has been fairly quiet. Almost as if it were locked in a basement, hidden from the judgmental gaze of society who wouldn’t be able to just stare at the awful, lumpen horrors it possesses. But it turns out I’m applying the game’s fiction to the development process, which is a huge error. I’ve still to see the game in action, but the atmosphere of the live-action trailer they’ve just released is pitch-perfect. Low-fi and utterly horrible. Please watch it with the lights on.

Like, honestly. It’s like someone gave Chris Cunningham no budget, hand-puppets and slime. The descent into basement beneath Isaac’s house as he flees from his mother turns up floppy zombie babies, a cat’s head, and ends with acid spewing from Isaac’s tear ducts. I’m embedding it, but I really don’t think you should watch it without parental supervision. You can borrow my dad if you want. He’s proper scary.

And what does this tell us about the game? Nothing other than a release date of early 2014. The other information is already known, but I’ll tell you anyway: it’ll have local co-op, a new engine that’s not Flash (and apes The Super Nintendo), all the content from the original and expansion with an additional expansion on top of that, which means and new items and characters. Hooray!

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Meat Circus says:

Your mum is low-fi and utterly horrible.

• nyjizikyzazo01 says:

Isaac. you think Lori`s article is exceptional… on thursday I bought themselves a Audi Quattro from having made $8037 this month and-over, $10k last-munth. no-doubt about it, this really is the most comfortable job I’ve had. I actually started 9-months ago and pretty much straight away started to bring home at least $84 per hour. I use this website,, >>>>>>>>>>>>> WEP6.ℂℴℳ
      Go to website and click Home tab for more details.
      ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

2. Lone Gunman says:

When I asked for more cats this not what I had in mined. At all….

You monsters!

Lambchops says:

Hmm, I’ll probably pass on this, the initial expansion made the game feel bloated, another one on top of that doesn’t appeal.

Still, reminds me of the many hours I happily spent on the original, great game, buy it if you haven’t already.

golem09 says:

Apparently they plan on rebalancing the whole game for Rebirth. I hope they know what they’re doing.

Lambchops says:

Hmm, interesting, that might be enough to tempt me back.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

I had a love/hate relationship with this game and it probably holds the record of ragequits of my gaming history. If by rebalancing they mean I will have a shot at actually at least fight mom (I don’t even care for winning anymore, just see the final boss), then I’ll consider this game again.

• protorp says:

Yep, this game more than any other made me realise how shit I am at reflex based games. I still loved it, even as it beat me brutally until I had to run back crying to the tea-warm comfort of turn-based things I’d read about in the Flare Path.

• Leeryshroom says:

Man, I have some bad news for you if you think mom is the last boss.

golem09 says:

Not sure I like the demake thing, but we’ll see. I just thope they make powerful items a lot rarer again, with the DLC it felt like I got flying and ghost items in pretty much every run.

• SavageTech says:

That got fixed in one of the fairly early Wrath of the Lamb updates. The drop rates were weighted to favor new items so that current fans would see more expansion content, but unfortunately a lot of the expansion content was super powerful and game-breaking at those drop rates.

5. belgand says:

That was the perfect thing to watch before going to bed.

6. Tei says:

I am surprised by the popularity of this game. Is in a very high position in Twich streams, theres even a e-Sport made out of it, …

In the future everything will be MOBA’s and Roguelikes.

• waaaaaaaals says:

Could be worse, they could be developing a Binding of Isaac MOBA.

• Ross Angus says:

I really don’t want to think of streams which are connected to this game.

lowprices says:

Then surely now is the perfect time to announce the Roguelike MOBA I’m making. It’ll be free to play, you’ll get 100 heroes to start with, but every time you die that hero will be permanently removed from your roster, meaning you’ll have to reroll mid-game. It’ll cost £2 to resurrect a hero, and new heroes will be a tenner. I think I’m onto a winner.

• waaaaaaaals says:

That is absolute genius! It’ll take the industry by storm as long as you make sure to add five quid hero costumes that only apply to a single hero per purchase.

• C0llic says:

It’s still played by a lot of people. Deservedly so, it’s a great little game.

I happened to look at steam stats yesterday and noticed it still appears on their played games list. Pretty incredible for a tiny indie rogue-like game which is now fairly old.

• tsff22 says:

I could care less for MOBAS (except Awesomenauts), but what’s wrong with more Roguelikes?

7. JamesId says:

FYI: This is my favorite gaming news site. – Director of the video

8. Veracity says:

Is there no way to instruct Steam not to install Wrath of the Lamb? I don’t think you can do it by turning updates off, since it’s DLC and that just installs in place along with the game. It seems quite a few players were turned off by the flakier balance and even worse performance the expansion introduced, so I assume someone’s tried.

I’m suppressing the urge to be all righteously aggrieved that I’m supposed to pay again for the game now that they’re claiming they’ll get it right – because, yes, it was silly cheap and the new new version is supposed to be even more expanded and FIFA F1 COD blah blah blah – but I won’t deny passing twinges of that. Mostly, I’m just pleased they’re still interested in working on it and will gladly buy a revision with the appalling performance ironed out, assuming it’s not widely declared a disaster upon release.

• SavageTech says:

There is no way to not install Wrath of the Lamb on Steam. The expansion replaces the base game because the game is a Flash file in an executable wrapper, and for whatever reason Steam won’t let you download the base game if you own the DLC.

I was initially irked by the re-release, but honestly you’re not SUPPOSED to pay for anything. I know this seems like the version that should’ve been made all along, but the game was conceptualized as an unambitious side-venture that Edmund McMillen could make without needing Tommy Refenes to do real coding. Edmund didn’t expect this game to take off; it’s not like he purposefully released a rubbish version of the game to exploit his fans.

For what it’s worth, Edmund said on his now-defunct Formspring (R.I.P.) that he’d try to work with the developers of the remake in order to get some kind of discount or bonus for people who previously bought The Binding of Isaac.

kdz says:

The trailer made me hungry for more Isaac. I guess it is high time I gave the original + expansion another spin!