How Is It Still Called WARFACE?

By Ben Barrett on August 21st, 2013 at 1:30 pm.

It's staring you in the face, Crytek.

Just think: two million years of evolution got us to this point, give or take one divine intervention. Hundreds of billions of humans have lived and died to get the world to the state it’s in now. We’ve sent men, women, dogs and monkeys into space. Mapped the globe. Put the internet and all of human knowledge into every pocket. Landed on the moon. Made Bulletstorm. And after all that, all those struggles and triumphs and long rainy days the best name Crytek could come up with for their free to play multiplayer shooter is WARFACE?! WARFACE! Say it out loud and listen to how ridiculous you sound while you watch the trailer below.

Perhaps it’s a marketing strategy so we spend our time endlessly mocking the title and don’t notice the eminent dullness of the trailers. Look, I like military shooters. They’re fine, they’re fun and I’m not quite sick to death of them yet. One day I might even have the requisite courage to say something nice about Call of Duty right on this very website. But I scoured this trailer for a good five minutes for a usable frame for the header image and settled on what you see above. It’s just not interesting and I don’t think the free to play tag is going to carry it far. Still, if you’re a member of the Crytek-sponsored GFACE (oh my god) program you have a final chance at the closed beta now.

, , .

Lambchops says:

WARFACE!

RaveTurned says:

WORF ACE!

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It’s a terrifying rhythm-action game in which you play as Worf, hitting the buttons as they appear on screen to complete the Klingon Tea Ceremony while fending off attacks from enemies.

KLINGON DEATH-LEAVES STEEPING
        HIT (X) TO DECAPITATE FERENGI
        HONOURABLE! BATTLE FRENZY!

• BobbyDylan says:

I suppose RapeFace was already taken.

• Adriaan says:

What is it good for!?

• nyjizikyzazo01 says:

Isaac. you think Lori`s article is exceptional… on thursday I bought themselves a Audi Quattro from having made $8037 this month and-over, $10k last-munth. no-doubt about it, this really is the most comfortable job I’ve had. I actually started 9-months ago and pretty much straight away started to bring home at least $84 per hour. I use this website,, WEP6.ℂℴℳ
      Go to website and click Home tab for more details.
      ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

2. razgon says:

WARFACE! WARFACE NEVER CHANGES!

• Burc says:

I’m more of a “War… war never faces”-man myself, but that works to :)

• gamma says:

Very true:
      My Warface is the same as my Gameface, which all round up in the same Pokerface for any matter.

Edit: yes… it is also exacly the same as my SuperMasterSargeantPersonFace

3. Dowr says:

First they obsessed with “Cry” now they obsess with “Face”.

• gschmidl says:

CRYFACE

Lambchops says:

Shame they didn’t choose to be obsessed with “Sis” then they could have beaten CoD to the female soldier punch with their breakout title “WAR-SIS”

• The Random One says:

WAR-SIS could be a game about an 11-year-old contextualizing his older sister teasing him as campaigns in a gritty military shooter he enjoys, Doug Funny style. I’d play that.

• FakeAssName says:

WarCry is trademarked by GamesWorkshop for their Warhammer CCG.

CryWar is about as stupid as WarFace, maybe a little bit better since it would be recognizable as a CryTeck product. However, breaking away from the Crysis series (and being conjoined to EA) is the whole point of going F2P with their shooters (and the logic behind hopping in bead with Trion is …) so nix that.

So, uh, hey “Warface” isn’t taken; at least that is a real word and since spunk gargle we-we has been coined what else is there?

It is actually a pretty fun game, minis the co-op cluster fuck attempt to force respawn coins down your throat.

• Dezmiatu says:

They could have used Combat Yodel, Skirmish Squeal, or some other loud action sound combo. English is very versatile that way.

• FakeAssName says:

Then you wake up one morning and read an article on Ars Technica about how the Boy Scouts of America are suing another youth organization for copyright infringement on the word “Scout.”

Then you realize why things are getting named these cock vomit names that baffle logic to pick.

Like today, today was that day.

• Cloudiest Nights says:

CryWar has already been done. See Binding of Isaac.

Gap Gen says:

I think the reason for WARFACE is that for people whose first language isn’t English, things that sound weird to a native speaker don’t to someone who learned a language later in life. Things like phrases and subtle cultural cues are very important to learning a language well. There are plenty of English-language advertising slogans here in France that work grammatically but sound very weird to a native speaker. It’s very likely also true for American speakers hearing UK dialects (someone got very confused when I said “where’s he to?”). Plus, WARFACE was originally intended for the Chinese market.

After all, Call of Duty is also a garbage phrase if you think about it in isolation.

• DrGonzo says:

To answer the call of duty, or along those lines is what Cod is getting at, Warface is just a nonsense word. But I get your point.

• MichaelGC says:

Or, like, “above & beyond the …”.

Gap Gen says:

“Fix your bayonets and put on your warface, men. Don’t let the enemy see you’re afraid.” (EDIT: OK Fragtastic said it first)

• Fragtastic says:

It is no more hilarious than the term “stiff upper lip”

Actually it is FAR less hilarious than “stiff upper lip”
      I try to work “stiff upper lip” into conversations as much as I can. Sometimes people laugh at me for it, but I try to keep a WARFACE!

There. Now I’m just as bad as anyone. Damn you all I’ve fallen.

• gunny1993 says:

Warface

• jonahcutter says:

Yeah, was just about to post this. I’m not sure, but I think the phrase “warface” may predate that film too. It’s likely considering Emery was a real life DI and created much of his own dialogue.

The RPS tizzy over the word always seemed strange to me. It’s a phrase I’ve occasionally heard tossed around throughout my life, and one that makes perfect sense for an fps.

JamesTheNumberless says:

If you repeat anything enough times it loses all meaning. If you repeat WARFACE enough times, it almost gains one.

• Sugoi says:

That’s called Semantic Satiation. And even outside of things that are inherently silly like WARFACE, I find myself thinking that any word I hear more than thirty times in a 5 minute period looks really, really strange.

JamesTheNumberless says:

And, perhaps fittingly, both “semantic” and “satiation” work amazingly well for this :)

• jonahcutter says:

No it has a meaning.

Literally, it’s the expression you put on when you intend to visit violence on others. Metaphorically, it is the summoning of the mindlessness and rage that is conducive to visiting violence on others. It’s right there in that film clip.

Think of the term “gameface”. It’s similar. “Put your gameface on” means summoning the determination to face a difficult task. Or not letting your opponent see any weakness of fear in your expression.

It’s part of the concept of masks, and expressions as masks. It’s actually all pretty interesting stuff.

So the term does have meaning. Even if it’s used for the title of some dopey fps. And RPS comments want to pretend it has no meaning for the sake of a meme.

• bit.bat says:

Well ‘Face’ is apparently a the sociological concept of prestige/dignity in China so there you go. WARDIGNITY!

• LukeNukem says:

It is in the UK/US too, used in sociology, see the phrase “saving face”

5. Shodex says:

FACEWAR!

6. nopol10 says:

That’s a pretty hilarious defibrillation animation. I love comedic games.

7. Turkey says:

You’re a loose cannon, Warface.

8. Fragtastic says:

OK, I know what site I’m on, so I’ll explain this. Warface is an American expression. You “Put on your warface” when you prepare for something difficult or dangerous. Probably comes from when Native American warriors would paint their faces in preparation for war. It’s a real thing and not made up.

I know this joke won’t go away now, but at least I tried.

9. laijka says:

Damn, I read WARFACE and came here thinking it was a War Face Paint simulator.
    You paint the faces of soldiers and send them out on missions and if you did a good job they survive.

Then there’s the obvious Historical War Face Painting: Scotland DLC of course.

10. gunny1993 says:

Clearly the Devs are Kubrick fans

11. kael13 says:

I think we’ve waited all year to have the chance to validly shout WARFACE with gusto.

WARFACEEEEEE.

lowprices says:

I think it’s still called Warface because the only people aware of the game are RPS commenters who love that meme. Like how people managed to be interested in Snakes on a Plane, despite the fact it was always going to be shit, simply because of the name.

AlwaysRight says:

HODOR!

14. WinTurkey says:

It’s not even an original name, the prequel to the WW2 RTS Men of War was called Faces of War

15. Lobotomist says:

Game designer : We have a great game set in modern war conflict. We want to call it – Modern fighter

Boss man: Thats to complicated , we need something kids indentify with.

Marketing executive: Sir, kids today like Facebook.

Boss man: Ok we are getting somwhere now. So its about war but has to be connected to Facebook…

Marketing executive: Warface ! Get it ? War + Face(book)

Boss man: You are promoted. Just go and punch game designer in the gut.

16. bstard says:

8:30 @ sales and other divine beings, Crytec. An office, some naab, a suit, a whiteboard and some zombies, Warfare was misspelled.

JamesTheNumberless says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was almost true. There must have been a reason they couldn’t use “warfare” as the name and someone suggested Warface as an alternative which must have sounded great to everyone in the brainstorming session.

17. Prime says:

We’re all saying it wrong. It’s a play on the word ‘surface’, which makes much more sense.

strangeloup says:

What is a manshoot?! A miserable little pile of killstreaks!
    But enough talk, show me your WARFACE!

19. Monkey says:

Give this to Warface, give this to Warface, give this to Warface…. wait a minute i am Warface

• Convolvulus says:

I just recently figured out that Baby Face was Dexter Fletcher.

20. Tei says:

Games on your browser-face

21. PopeRatzo says:

I think “Warface” sounds kinda cool, actually.

But that’s just me. I named my dog “Genocide Worldkiller” (she’s a shitzu).

My four kids are named Conquest, Famine, Death and Emily. My wife put her foot down on that last one. More accurately, she put it up. My ass.

• Atrocious says:

The dog doesn’t have to go to school and only lives a decade, but your kids? Have some mercy.

22. nimzy says:

Same reason we got “Full Spectrum Warrior” and “Medal of Honor: Warfighter.”

It’s gotta have “war” in it somewhere.

23. SirKicksalot says:

It’s getting tiresome to see every RPS post about Warface being mostly about the name. Get over it. It stopped being fun a year ago.

24. edwardoka says:

CRY HAVOK AND LET’S SHIP THE COD DOGS OF WARFACE

25. Tjee says:

So you’re a killer?
    LET ME SEE YOUR WAR FACE!

26. Phendron says:

Brand new tactics to crush your enemies, like the Powerslide Doctrine!

27. stuntrey says:

so the fov gonna be 55 again?

28. Orontes says:

Hang on a minute, this doesn’t look like a docking ship and port management simulator. I’ve been tricked!

Don Reba says:

WARFACE sounds like HOORAH and FREEDOM, you pansy.

30. haradaya says:

CryTek still refuses to make the advancement to rendering real scopes instead of zooming the whole view.

31. mollemannen says:

the rythm of the bullets fired are still ringing in my ears