Iron Giants: I Think I’ve Fallen For Titanfall

By Nathan Grayson on August 21st, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Robots. Jetpacks. Guns. Men. Parkour. I can’t believe no one put it together sooner. The formula for the ultimate videogame. Then just stir until your giant wooden spoon explodes from 37 different camera angles, and you have a multiplayer shooting delicacy that’s sure to get tongues wagging. I know mine is. Respawn’s put out another Titanfall trailer, and it’s pure robo-blasting bliss. Also, we get a really nice look at how infantry combat’s shaping up, and it’s basically Prince of Persia with jetpacks. And rockets. And sky-high turbo-leaps that’d make satellites think twice about looking down. And and and and and

That’s just… I mean, look at all of that. I don’t usually get so animated over multiplayer shooters, but every otherwise rather well-worn piece snaps together magnificently here. Even the level, a fairly standard concrete playground called Angel City, is given new life by Titanfall’s bounty of options – as is “attrition mode,” which appears to be survival by another name.

The mechs look as savage as ever, but infantry combat really stole the show for me this time around. I’m really digging the fleet-footed vertical movement – bounding between suffocating cityscapes and open courtyards alike, skittering around like rats between the ankles of giants – and the sheer sense of scale. I also like how mechs aren’t just inherently superior. Sometimes, you might need to hop out of your cockpit, set your loyal pup of a screeching machine beast to “follow,” and scrub some enemy grime from hard-to-reach corners with your own two hands.

I doubt the story Respawn’s trying to shoehorn in between/throughout matches will be anything to write home about, but who really cares? This looks utterly wild.

Titanfall will be out early next year.

, , , .

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

I think I have as well, that mech jockeying looks like superb fun.

For a while.

• I Feed on Frenzy says:

That’s exactly what I thought. Mech Jockeying, towards the end there when he’s piggy-backing the rig. Would make for stylish racing of sorts.

• CammieBlackburn says:

my neighbor’s ex-wife makes $71 every hour on the laptop. She has been fired from work for five months but last month her check was $18018 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more… http://www.day37.com

• Leb says:

YOUR NEIGHBOUR’S EX WIFE IS A CUM GUZZLING SLUT

I know we are not supposed to comment on these BUT THEY ARE STARTING TO NUMB MY MIND

• drewski says:

not that there’s anything wrong with that, if it’s your thing.

• The Random One says:

In fact, some of my best friends are cum guzzling sluts.

• ShaunOfTheFuzz says:

it’s not so much that you’re not supposed to comment, but that in commenting, you’ve just abused the imaginary wife of an algorithm.

Not so much a case of “no one’s allowed do this”, but a case of “why would anyone ever do this?”.

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

I like the idea of playing hide and seek with mechs, firing off rockets and escaping into alleyways. Or indeed protecting a mech as infantry as you pick your way through a city.

2. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Wow, that really does look like a lot of fun.

• Fedaykin says:

EA have always been pretty good at marketing and hype. I’m not saying the game will not be good but how come nobody mentioned the fact this will be an Origin exclusive. Think it will still be “fun” with that in mind?

• nearly says:

yes, I think that will have zero impact on gameplay and that I won’t be obsessed with being outraged over exclusivity while shooting men and mechs

• derbefrier says:

of course origin had no bearing on how fun a game is, you’re silly.

• Leb says:

I may or may not run into a hiccup with the download, after that It won’t even phase me that origin is running, cause it makes no difference really

• Spacecraft says:

I’m very happy that I’ll be able to purchase this on Origin. If I don’t like the game or it’s a shoddy as hell port then I can get a refund with their new policy. So much peace of mind knowing that.

• Ansob says:

It’s got the right dev pedigree (potentially) and it’s scifi, freerunning, jetpacks and mechs. It looks great, but given that Respawn are ex-Infinity-Ward, that Infinity Ward were aggressively anti-design and anti-balance when Modern Warfare 2 came out, and additionally given that the entire modern Call of Duty series (on which Respawn’s pedigree is based) has always been a console FPS series designed for the stupidly slow pace of controller FPS combat which has never translated well over to PC controls (seriously, compare footage of CoD being played on consoles vs. CoD being played on PC; no wonder the balance has always been a bit rubbish), I have serious doubts.

Is it going to be another shallow shooter with broken mechanics where 90% of the guns are utter garbage and the devs never do any kind of rebalancing, or are they actually going to try to design a balanced game from the get-go and do their best to make sure it’s balanced on PC? Sadly, that’s impossible to tell from preview material, and nearly-impossible to tell without sinking a good 20 hours into the game proper (which isn’t out yet) with a good eye for these things. :(

3. Haruspicus says:

MmmmmmmmmmmmmmmIWantIt

4. Cytrom says:

I prefer class based MP games, as they enfore a tiny bit of teamplay through the game mechanics, but this looks fun. reminds me a bit of brink.. or what brink could have been, made by more experienced professionals.

Although it seems to boil down to cod style solo run & gun & killstreaks + a few fun gimmicks. I think I’d burn out on it fast after a few hours of intense fun.

• Rahabib says:

Yes. Brink had all of this (except the big robot part). The problem with Brink for me was the weapons just felt horrible, none were accurate so you had to be withing 10 feet – which made it so that everyone would use the smgs and spray. The parkour may have felt a bit weird to many and too easy, but I didnt have that much of an issue with it – and quite enjoyed that aspect of it. The maps also needed some help. Some were impossible to win as the other team, and stopwatch mode was more of just who could do it slightly faster because you sure as hell wont stop them.

Anyway, if this game has the feel of COD4 and the parkour of Brink, I would be happy.

• KDR_11k says:

The parkour of Brink felt pointless because it was mostly just cosmetic or climbing up ledges, not the big change in gameplay that was promised. I could handle the shooting but the objectives were no fun, especially the hack box ones were crap (hey, let’s force the attackers to use a stealthy class in a full assault and have those who do the objective unable to fight while working on it while the enemy can easily revert the attackers’ progress by using the most defense focused class that also buffs combat damage!).

• SomeDuder says:

Problem is, an actual match will not be anything like this, at all, ever. This looks more like a set-piece from a scifi-action movie, with coordinated teams doing their thing. Real multiplayer is just 16 assholes trying to be even bigger assholes.

5. Sir Buildbot Winslave says:

I drooled. Copiously.

6. guygodbois00 says:

So, F2P or what?

• Synesthesia says:

GOD PLEASE NO.
      ahem. I mean, I’d rather it was not.

• ShadyGuy says:

I hope it isn’t either. I tried out Warframe a bit last week, but that’s such a grind if you’re not willing to spend money that it’s no use playing.

7. iucounu says:

Cor

8. xcya says:

i think this game is gonna be hard if you cant handle it right which is awesome!!!

9. db1331 says:

I love the freedom of movement. It looked like a hunter from L4D with a jet pack, which is a frightening prospect.

10. Mbaya says:

I must admit, the game looks a great deal of fun to play. It looks to me like a prequel to Section 8 but with a bigger budget behind it.

I was a bit disappointed that Battlefield wasn’t going to attempt a return to the 204X universe this time around, so I think this game will fill that slot – but it does seem a shame they aren’t going to get this out before the Holidays.

• KDR_11k says:

I like mechs and hightech stuff and such but I hate CoD style combat. I like tuning things including weapons but I hate it in CoD because the combat completely negates the point of that by making everything kill so fast that the weapon differences are practically not there.

11. SirKicksalot says:

I like how the Titan grabs the dude at 2:40.

12. Steelphoenix says:

For having tryed it today at Gamescom, i must say i was quite impressed, witch I wouldn’t have believed to be by an EA game. It’s fast action shooter, with a mecha twist, but the vertical movement really changes things.
    Still wait and see, but a good surprise nonetheless.

13. benjamin says:

The mech seemed to have some sort of telekinesis power – it stopped bullets then flung them back at the enemy mech. Sweet! Also, love the eject sequence on the mech.

14. Jinoru says:

The story I hope will be more driven by the players. There’s going to be some awesome memories made when the game comes out with me and my buddies for sure.

• Corb says:

Sadly I think the story will be on par with Brink….aka forgettable, repetitive and an overall annoyance to just playing a straight multiplayer match. They should have instead gone with the words ” setting the atmosphere” instead of “story”.

15. Reapy says:

Careful to manage expectations from that, it was scripted to look awesome. It is doubtful the gameplay will be as smooth and buttery in actual play.

Still, there were a lot of cool features, especially with the titan, and it seems that in a match you will flow between various states of mech, no mech, mech following, no mech vs enemy mech, hanging on to someones mech, etc etc etc.

Again nice, but it’ll break down into pub matches for most of us, and it is hard for FPS to stop being FPS in that setting, no matter how your tank looks or how you can run up walls and things.

• Jinoru says:

Apparently that match wasn’t scripted, more choreographed, whatever that means. That’s from the dev’s mouth to Larry who’s his face from Xbox.

• Baines says:

Choreographed? Probably means “real” gameplay, but stuff that was practiced and arranged to look better than what you’d see in real matches.

Or scripted the way a performance of a play is scripted. I can understand why they’d want to avoid being associated with the word “scripted” itself, because with video games “scripted” tends to mean completely artificial and includes things that might not even be possible in a game.

• Reapy says:

Oh yeah i mean it looked like other people were playing, but some scenes like where he came up and looked out a window JUST in time to see a titan grabbing another titan on a corner, the perfect flank maneuver where nobody responds while he shoots people, or the moment he jumped across the roof while another player looked on and basically stood looking at him to be shot. Some other other people on screen going SPLAT and the like with nobody targeting the player at all.It also all to well demonstrates a large variety of gameplay mechanics all in one chunk as they go through.

I mean, executing that with people all ‘acting’ is pretty badass and a cool way to show the game off. Just a normal play session I don’t imagine each life you have will be quite so fun as the choreographed run through here.

• Leb says:

Inevitably, a lot of it will be more like I’M GONNA RUN HERE, JUMP HERE AAAAND…. *kaboom*

FUCK

Regardless, like any FPS, the likelihood of having monstrously good runs will increase as you get better with the movement and map knowledge. Also, after sales & new player influxes, this kind of kickassery is quite common.

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

Apparently for game show demos they get in-house testers to play and pretend to be AI. Which explains why in press conferences the guy on stage with the controller always wins.

• Steelphoenix says:

It is actually surprisgly smple to be “buttery”. I played it only 15 mins, but i could already pull some of those moves by the ten min mark, and i’m not a great player by any way.

16. zin33 says:

that “parkour” looked way too simple to be called that
    also the way the guy moves the camera around is so slow that it becomes annoying (but thats not the games fault i suppose)
    other than that it looks like cod + mechs so if youve enjoyed cod mp then i guess youll like this one

17. quietone says:

I’ll wait for the kitten’s review.

• Shuck says:

“Five swipes and a sustained pawing.” – Kitten

• Premium User Badge Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

“Hit it! Chase it! Kill it! Nap time. Try to eat it. Wander off and try to climb the couch like it is Everest.”

18. Artificial says:

I feel like I’m the only person who just isn’t remotely interested in this game. I don’t get it, it just doesn’t look like anything hugely special. Even during the E3 trailer it just looked like an average game, sort of like Brink, yet people were blown away by it when they were commenting on it after.

• Baines says:

Still looks most like Call of Duty with a little bit of Battlefield map design, and mechs and jet pack assisted jumps.

• derbefrier says:

it looks fun even if its not totally original(though it does seem to have some cool ideas). Game doesnt have to be its own special snowflake to be fun you know.

• ch4os1337 says:

It doesn’t matter if it does anything ‘special’, it matters if it does things right. I showed this game to HeatoN himself and I agree with him when he said “As long as the shooting feels good” because that’s *all* that matters in a FPS. Everything else is just gimmicks.

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Yeah, whatever happened to Brink? It looked promising but I think inevitably it didn’t wash (I never ended up buying it).

This type of game is a genre, just like action movies. Some people will rush out and see every new one that comes out and some wont. Occasionally there is one that is legitimately awesome; even so it’s hard to find these in the general blind mass enthusiasm for the genre.

• Misnomer says:

What happened to Brink was that it ran horribly and the design was mostly pointless. You had no reason to play heavy as the weapons were crap and half of the maps were not accessible to you.

The weapons design was silly and appealed to neither the COD players nor the Enemy Territory players who saw it as the successor to their favorite game. COD players wanted more accuracy and lethality, ET players wanted more spread and higher TTK, but with clear trade offs on weapons. The weapons in the game clearly fell in neither category. They were accurate with a high TTK depending on an absurd construct of buffs.

So it was a mechanically interesting game that lacked execution in making it either fit player expectations for gunplay or offer some compelling alternative in gunplay.

Oh and it ran like crap with meh OpenGL support.

So the same thing happened to Brink that happened to RO2, Medal of Honor… It was an FPS that tried to bite off a chunk of the COD/BF apple without having the technical size or capability to compete for graphics or content and compromising its own brand identity to try to make the mechanics more instantly familiar to other shooter fans.

It tried to do too much with too little.

• KDR_11k says:

As someone who didn’t like CoD’s combat and never played Enemy Territory I found the combat acceptable but the mission structure was a problem. All it had was Assault against the clock, I’ve once read that time limits are a crutch for game designs that can’t come up with a proper failure condition and yeah, it’s not very fun when your goal is to defend until the time runs out or attack before the time runs out. I always preferred games where there’s a choice between attack and defense over ones where you spend like 20 minutes doing only one of these. Doesn’t help that one objective between 20 players or so tends to get very crowded and chaotic.

• drewski says:

Nah. I’m sure this is the most exciting thing ever to people who like multiplayer and mechs, but if that ain’t your thing, then this ain’t your thing.

I find people detestable and want power armor, not stompy robots, so color me ambivalent. Though I can’t deny how impressive this looks for what it is, even if it’s not my bag.

• HilariousCow says:

The movement looks more appealing to me than Brink’s. Just the simple fact that it’s less constrained to realistic movement (jetpacks and whatnot) makes it more versatile. Plus, the movement seems incorporated from the ground up, not only into level design, but also combat design (lots of opportunities to climb and then drop on titans).

19. sabasNL says:

This looks like I’ve been waiting for since Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2 nestled itself out of my library, into my archive.

It really does look good, fun, and solid.

20. Didden says:

Will it come with 8 year olds screaming abuse? One can only hope.

• Leb says:

Considering how EA has lacked VOIP support on it’s last major PC MP release (hi BF3) – they probably come separate

21. Vandelay says:

This looks like a natural progression of Crysis 2/3 MP to me, with added mechs. Hopefully with level design that will play on the vertical a little more than Crysis.

Definitely looks like a hella lot of fun, but I’m sure it will be tarnished by unlocks, kill strikes and the like.

22. vehementi says:

Looks nice, but it’s still unconscionable to support EA.

23. Fac3hugg3r says:

And yet another news in promotional spirit about the game from EA… Stay safe guys, don’t get EA’d again.

Nathan Gayson probably got paid by EA schmucks.

24. tomek says:

Looks like the most promising shooter since it was announced to me. If the movement controls as fluid as it looks this will be a keeper.

25. dorobo says:

it’s still a shitty cod…

26. Liudeius says:

It still SOUNDS cool.
    Mechs, “Jump signatures,” jetpack platforming.
    Yet I expect it to be ruined by
    1) Being made by a CoD dev.
    2) Being a multiplayer focused FPS.
    3) Being aimed at a casual FPS audience.

I won’t accept that they’ve made more than CoD with a slightly cooler coat of paint until I actually see reviews and play it myself (definitely not on day one).

27. FakeAssName says:

I will probably have fun with it, when the price drops next summer.

The wall running is out of Mirrior’s edge, but everything else is straight out of Section 8 minus the color and UE3′s dog shit hitscan.

RIP time gate, you tried your best.

• haradaya says:

Hitscan has it’s place in games. But not in games that go around calling themselves “Modern Warfare” or realistic.

• MrUnimport says:

If you really want to talk realism, the difference between hitscan and proper ballistic modelling at Call of Duty ranges is just about negligible. Statistically insignificant.

• FakeAssName says:

Hitscan is one thing, hitscan + lag is another.

playing Section 8, or any HiRez game, with a crappy internet connection turned you into a walking kill point generator for other players.

• KDR_11k says:

That’s the Unreal Engine 3 at work, every single UE 3 game I played online had massive problems with lag screwing with the gameplay. The only kinda recent Unreal game where that wasn’t the case was Duke Nukem Forever because that ran on UE 2.5. Supposedly it’s a configuration issue but since not even Epic can get it working I think it’s just fundamentally broken.

Of course you will find LPBs who argue that UE3′s system is superior to ones that compensate for lag like Source or CoD (or even Space Marine IIRC) do but that argument seems completely stupid to me since “lower ping must be better than higher ping” is not a rule of game design and ultimately ALL of the games where lagged shots are an issue get broken by it.

It always turned into a game of who was best at compensating for lag, not who actually played the game better*. In Section 8 and Prejudice the gameplay impact was that with lock-on jamming you were practically invincible to players, only bots would be able to hit you. That was completely fucked. Bulletstorm was entirely unplayable.

*= Okay, in Section 8 the shield piercing vs breaking remained fully in play since it’s a fairly slow mechanic but in e.g. Blacklight it was almost entirely about who could deal with lag. Some weapons in S8 were broken by the lag though, especially the shotgun had a reputation of being useless due to lag. In S8P people just grabbed rocket launchers instead which are much more predictable when it comes to lag, anyone foolish enough to bring a rifle was practically helpless.

• FakeAssName says:

28. buzzmong says:

That man has jetpacks for bumcheeks!

29. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Iron Giants: I Think I’ve Fallen For Titanfall

I KNOW RIGHT?!
    I thought I was officially over traditional multiplayer shooters, though I have planetside 2 down as my nominal ideal game, being that it’s sandboxy and has potential for a meta-game other than the same maps over and over (as with your CoDs and their ilk)

Having said that though PS2 doesn’t have pretty art. Frankly I’m a shallow cove and that’s what I like (as well as gameplay that isnt moronic)… and so I played a fair bit of Battlefield 2142; the design appealed to my tastes.

I’ll be watching this one.

30. Hardmood says:

anyone remembers quake wars: enemy territory? no?
    none gave a shit for it.sad enough. even bf 2142 was cool.

this is nothing more than a decent cod system with mechs, some quake 3 arena style movement and mirrors edge elements.
    what a fake haha

31. HilariousCow says:

Memories of being told to keep the jump heights in Brink down to 12 inches.

*Sigh*.

32. Flesh Dumblegore says:

Field of Duty: Titanfall

33. Jools says:

The infantry combat looks well done, but I don’t really see why I should be excited for this if I’m bored with shooters in general. I’ll probably end up playing it for a bit since a bunch of my friends are super hyped, I guess.

34. TT says:

No Bunny Hopping! or Bunny Hopping to the max! This indecisiveness summarizes my feelings for the game

35. Totally heterosexual says:

That does look fucking cool.

36. SuicideKing says:

“INCOMING JUMP SIGNATURE, HOSTILE CONFIGURATION!”

That game’s influence remains till this date.

37. studenteternal says:

This looks like a western shogo, and I am totally OK with that :)

38. Monkeh says:

I think the fact it’s multiplayer but with (seemingly) intelligent, or at the very least interesting, AI is my favourite part about this game. Probably because this truly looks like a multiplayer/singplayer hybrid that’s going to get it just right.