Reporting For Duty: Redshirt Beta

By Ben Barrett on August 21st, 2013 at 4:30 pm.

Given there’s nothing I hate more than my friends and the things they think, social media has an odd place in my heart. It ensures I’m invited to parties where I can refill my body with vital fluids and praise the gods of dance in my own way. But it also means I have to read people’s opinions, look at pictures of their grandmothers and painstakingly plan their deaths. There’s no win condition, just an endless grind. What I need is a life with an end to it, a goal I can strive to and easy ways to beat my enemies there. What I need is Redshirt.

Hahaha, look at them all burn!

Honestly, as a concept Redshirt fascinates me. Adam took a longer look last month¬†and I managed a glance at Rezzed, but I’ve not had a chance to properly dive in yet. Social manipulation is the basis of some of gaming’s most incredible moments, but an entire game using it as a centerpoint is new. If you’re intrigued, picking up a pre-order will let you in to the beta. Otherwise, we’ll have deeper thoughts upon Steam release later this year.

, , .

1. Drake Sigar says:

Blackadder Goes Forth in Starfleet. Quite interested in the concept, but have no idea how it will play.

• Beernut says:

I’m sure a cunning plan will present itself somehow…

• zain3000 says:

As cunning as a fox who has just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Space Oxford University?

2. Cooper says:

Intrigued, but gonna wait for the release. Also, devs: Demo please!

• Jockie says:

Positech are pretty good at producing timely demos, I imagine there will be one out nearer to the release.

3. Montavious says:

Looks interesting, but too many good games just got released and some still coming out. Will have to put this on the back-burner.

4. Phasma Felis says:

Any formal relation to John Scalzi’s novel Redshirts, which as far as I can tell is pretty much about the same thing?

• Chris D says:

Inspired by the same source but that’s about it.

They both take the same conceit of desperately trying to avoid away missions but then go in separate directions with it.

• iucounu says:

Scalzi’s Redshirts is an odd book which pulls a couple of big tonal shifts along the way; it starts as an affectionate Star Trek parody, slides into straight SF, and then goes in hard for the emotions. It’s a good read though I am not sure it entirely works, in the end; I certainly prefer his Old Man’s War books.

5. Cruyelo says:

It’s very much Kudos In Space, with all the good and bad this implies.
    I’m not terribly fond of the beta at the moment, really wish I had kept the money for Democracy 3 instead (once available, since it seems much closer to what I would like).
    Right now, I feel like the idea behind the game is much more interesting than the actual game.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Space stalking simulator, with additional chance of romancing a blob of green jelly. What’s not to love?

7. Mnemosys says:

Eeer, I don’t see how this is a parody!!

hints:
    start liking posts on all the managers’ walls from day 1
    send friend requests to people with green bars and common interest even if you never met (who cares!)
    avoid actual contact with people as much as possible to avoid neglecting “friends”

:x