Witness The Murdered: Soul Suspect Trailer

By Craig Pearson on August 21st, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Being a Scotch person, I suffer a daily indignity of idiots asking me to say words that that have the letter ‘r’ in them. ‘Murder’ is a particular favourite. I honestly don’t know what’s so funny about hearing the word ‘murder’ coming from someone with a Glaswegian accent. When you hear it up there, it means you’re either watching Taggart, you’re about to take a broken bottle to a vital organ, or you’ve met my dad. You don’t want to do any of those, frankly. I was reminded of this as I watching the Murrrrderrrredrrr: Soul Suspect trailer, a game about the ghost of a detective solving his own murrrderrrrerrererrrering.

So Airtight Games has returned to the otherworldy puzzle genre that they poked into with Quantum Conundrum, this time using ghost powers and detective powers to solve crimes. In this case the detective enters bodies so he can take in the collected evidence, listen to conversations, or even poke around to prompt memories.

If that intrigued you, there’s a 25 minute walkthrough from a few month’s ago. It shows the game to be a ghostly LA Noire, where you also need to fight demons and play proper poltergeist tricks to manipulate people.

For such a hokey notion, it seems to be super-serious. I watched the trailer and the walkthrough begging for some self-awareness. It’ll be here sometime in 2014.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. misterT0AST says:

So it’s a mix between the Blackwell series and Geist.
    I’m sorry, I actually never played neither of them, I just love comparing and mixing games.

• nyjizikyzazo01 says:

Isaac. you think Lori`s article is exceptional… on thursday I bought themselves a Audi Quattro from having made $8037 this month and-over, $10k last-munth. no-doubt about it, this really is the most comfortable job I’ve had. I actually started 9-months ago and pretty much straight away started to bring home at least $84 per hour. I use this website,, WEP6.ℂℴℳ
      Go to website and click Home tab for more details.
      ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

2. fitzroy_doll says:

My favourite thing for Scottish friends to say is “Curly Wurly”. Go on, say it. Currrrrrrly Wurrrrrrly.

3. Lemming says:

I can’t look at this without thinking “Thank God I died so fashionably”

4. Tinotoin says:

As a fellow Glaswegian, it hurrrts my feelings too.

5. XhomeB says:

I’m hoping they pull this off. I like the “puzzle”-oriented gameplay, like in an adventure game. What worries me is whether the later stages of the game abandon the investigation aspect in favour of tedious combat encounters.

6. greenbananas says:

Hey it’s that guy again! You know who I’m talking about- white, late twenties/early thirties, dark hair, stubble and the try-hard raucous voice. He sure gets around…

7. Nicodemus Rexx says:

Reading about your issues with people testing your accent, I could only think of the episode of Futurama where they met the heads of the original Star Trek cast:

Fry: “Hey! Say ‘nuclear vessels!’”
    Walter Koenig: “No.”

8. Veracity says:

If you’re going to be the hokiest hoke in hokedom, there can be something to be said for playing it completely straight. Can be. Peppering the fourth wall with sledgehammer holes while winking at a lampshade is rarely half as clever or funny as it wants to be and frequently bloody tiresome. Of course, you might just end up incredibly cheesy AND humourless, which isn’t great, either.

• Manburger says:

True that! I think the (surprisingly great) campaign mode in the new Mortal Kombat is evidence of this; the story is the goofiest of goofy, but in such a straightfaced and genuine way that it ends up being pretty funny, endearing and oddly compelling.
      (Granted I was sort of tipsy whilst playing it but I think the point still stands)

9. Lars Westergren says:

I’m intrigued by the concept. It needs to have both good story and good puzzles to work though I think. Not the easiest genre to pull off.

10. Danorz says:

so it’s a gritty third person 3d version of ghost trick? that was a good game, that

11. Hidden_7 says:

I laughed out loud when the dev gave the weak handwavey in-universe explanation for why you couldn’t go through exterior walls (Salemites were a superstitious lot and did magic to every single building even the new ones I guess?). Honestly I’d have had a lot more respect if he was just like “You may have noticed he can’t go through exterior walls. This is for game balance reasons.”

12. The Random One says:

The gameplay trailer did a good job for disappointing me before I had the chance to spend any money on it. The game is exactly the bad mix of no-challenge connect-the-dots “puzzles” and bizarre combat gameplay trailing together a story that might be good if it wasn’t shackled to the AAA industry’s bizarre conceptions of what the medium should entail (or might be bad, meaning everything else goes to waste) I would otherwise fear it would be.

Comment on this story