Bloodless Champions: Dead Island MOBA Detailed

By Nathan Grayson on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Yep, that sure looks like a Dead Island MOBA

My fingers still feel a deep sense of slithering, shivering wrong in the pits of their tiny finger souls when they type out the words “Dead Island MOBA,” but here we are. Dead Island Epidemic is happening because Deep Silver’s so obsessed with zombies on islands that I think it wants to create an actual, factual epidemic of Dead Island (and Dead-Island-like) games. If that is indeed the case, it’s well on its way, and Epidemic is without a doubt furthest off the previously established map. On the upside, it’s being developed by Stunlock Studios, the talented team behind the Quinns-approved Bloodline Champions. Also, there’s crafting and you capture points all over the map instead of dragging your weary bones through countless base-busting wars of attrition. Other highly unexpected features include zombies, zombies, and also zombies.

The self-proclaimed ZOMBA (not to be confused with Zumba, which I assume promotes excellent zombie fitness) will divide 12 players up into three teams of four. The shambling undead, meanwhile, act as creeps, and then nature runs its course. Well, more or less. Dynamically shifting capture points will apparently force teams to stay on their feet and adapt at the drop of an obnoxiously generic souvenir hat. That ought to at least spice things up a bit.

The real star of the show, however, will apparently be Epidemic’s crafting system. Think vanilla Dead Island’s arsenal of “don’t try this at home” duct-tape-and-sawblade mods, and you’ll be on the right track. Here’s the gist:

“Epidemic features an immense crafting system where players can forge their weapon arsenal of choice. There will be hundreds of weapons, trinkets and items that players can craft, and once crafted, these weapons can continue to be improved to fully suit a player’s personality and play style.”

It certainly sounds interesting, but I’m not entirely convinced that’ll be enough. The official RPS MOBA Count-O-Tron broke and exploded into a million pieces (still less than the number it had previously counted to) months ago. Also, it was Alec’s hands. Now he must embrace his newborn child with soul-chilling metallic coldness. It is the greatest tragedy, except that his new robot hands are actually pretty awesome otherwise. I’m kind of jealous.

Anyway, there’s going to be a closed alpha or beta test at some point fairly soon. You can sign up for a chance to join hereabouts. Do you plan on giving it a go?

, , , .

1. HPLoveshack says:

MOBA and Dead Island? It”s like this game was tailored specifically to obliterate any interest I may have had.

2. EPICTHEFAIL says:

On the one hand, I am glad at least one MOBA is doing something slightly original. On the other… really, DS? REALLY?

3. Beartastic says:

Deep Silver zombie games are so fetch.

4. maximiZe says:

Stunlock Studios are cool in my book, still not nearly enough to make me care about a zombie “MOBA”.

5. mentor07825 says:

I want off the MOBA train. How do I get off?

• JackShandy says:

Unfortunately, every exit to the Moba train leads only to another Moba train, stacked fractally for infinity.

6. Christo4 says:

Why didn’t they make it a FPS moba…

7. Ginger Yellow says:

“Combining weapons and their effects and perks will offer an enormous range of possible setups and a new take on gameplay in this genre.””

Literally the very first MOBA ever let you combine weapons and their effects.

8. Tei says:

I don’t get mobas that copy Dominion (or whatever is called) gamemode from LoL. Is the less popular gamemode (or so has told me my spies).

• arccos says:

It’s less popular, but I think that might be more because the players are coming in for standard MOBA, and trying out a different game mode. A game focused around and advertised as something other than standard laning games might find a niche.

I don’t know if I’m so keen on the idea of three different teams competing at once, though. It sounds interesting, but it might just end up with two teams negotiating to take out the third and then fighting amongst themselves, which isn’t fun for the team they focus.

9. Synesthesia says:

I want a hero who ult’s with a giant mutilated female torso. That’ll show them!

10. XhomeB says:

I do realise DOTA and League of Legends are all the rage right now, but… Can we have some new RTS games, please? Apart from Planetary Annihilation and online-only C&C, I don’t think there’s anything to look forward to right now, especially if you’re into single player or interested in someone pushing the genre forward…

• Trithne says:

I found the genre to be quite satisfactorily pushed forward by Wargame: AirLand Battle, both in gameplay and in ridiculous nomenclature.

11. Haplo says:

MOBAs and Zombies: marrying the two most overdosed trends of the last year or two of gaming into one, double-overdosed package.

12. mr.ioes says:

First the MMO epidemic, then MOBA. Next up: Tower defenses. Calling it.
    Wouldn’t be mad though, all those tower defenses from wc3 are basically free money for developers. All they have to do is to port it over to an engine that actually works (not that SC2 crap. Unit pathing completely destroys tower defenses sadly.)

• CASHMONEYDAD420 says:

There’s been a bunch of TD games. They’ve all ranged from shite to mediocre as fuck.

• Keyrock says:

Yeah, the tower defense epidemic is already in full swing.

• mr.ioes says:

None of them are even close to a Legion TD, Elemental TD or Square TD. As you said: mediocre at best. They need to copy wc3 mods and not try to create new, terrible TDs.

13. Keyrock says:

MOBA is the new military shooter.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

It’s inevitable that I’ll eventually have to play one.

14. Yuela says:

Wow, how on earth do you balance three teams at once? Two will just gang up on the unlucky third one and then duke it out between themselves. Also, shifting control points and crafting sounds like a balancing nightmare.

• 2gudtoulouse says:

My guess would be to make players on the more successful teams worth more gold/xp/simoleons/whatever, let human greed do the rest.

15. mooken says:

During the sign-up, they use the acronym D.I.E. for the game.
    I don’t know if that was planned, or clever, or completely idiotic. I’m so confused.

16. sixrocket says:

I see MOBAs are off to replace Call of Duty clones as a festering cancer.

Great.
    I’ll just drown myself.

darkChozo says:

Kinda sad that they’re going with a traditional RTS-y MOBA here. A competitive multiplayer MOBA-ish thing using Dead Island’s mechanics could at least be a bit interesting. Would need tons of mechanical shifts (their combat system clearly isn’t designed for PvP, for example), but stuff like scavenging and zombies actually would fit pretty well. As-is, this seems like a spinoff on the level of a cart racer.

Looking forward to the inevitable CoD MOBA.

• CASHMONEYDAD420 says:

According to other sites this game will have similar combat mechanics to BLC. Think hack ‘n slash targeting with WASD movement. It worked really well and was both fun and skillful. That alone made me somewhat interested in this.

18. SirMonkeyWrench says:

I reckon that with the mechanics and setting of Dead Island Deep Silver could make a pretty interesting co-op focused game in the style of Day-Z, after all if your going to shamelessly jump on the bandwagon of the hot new ideas in the market they might as well be ideas in a genre that hasn’t reached saturation yet.

19. Shiri says:

Goddamnit, THIS is what Stunlock have been working on for so long? BLC was really good before they ruined it with pay to win awfulness and multiplied all the numbers by 10, I had some vague hopes the talent they obviously had would be put to some use. Oh well.

20. obd2works says: