Free-To-Scare: F.E.A.R. Online Trailer

By Craig Pearson on August 22nd, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

staring eyes
When I play online shooters, the only thing that goes bump in the night is my mouse. If I get killed, I usually give the poor pointing device a fair old whack on the table, which I do to make sure it’s calibrated. It’s in no way a childish act of petulance that has sent at least one mouse off to Logitech’s “calibration support team” in bits and pieces. And the scream I let off is to make sure my microphone works. Anyway, those bumps will soon be joined by bumps of fear and terror, as Warner Bros. attempts to resurrect its horror shooter series F.E.A.R. as a free-to-play multiplayer game. If there is true evil in the world, it’s found in the marketing meeting room where F.E.A.R. Online was first floated.

Actually, it doesn’t seem that bad. This isn’t the first free-to-play shooter based on F.E.A.R., either: the original game’s multiplayer was released for free a bunch of years ago. This sits alongside F.E.A.R. 2’s storyline, which means…. hah! If you think I’m going to recap the lore you have another thing coming. It is silly. Better to stick to facts. It’ll have ten maps, both versus and co-op, and a mix of the usual modes, as well as things like “knife-only” and “Soul King”. That last one is basically a possession-based last-man standing match. I’ve no idea how they’ll monetise it, but after finding this concept art, I have many concerns.

F.E.A.S.T. your eyes on this trailer.

It’s currently asking for beta testers.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. darylicked says:

I’d prefer it that they call it F.R.E.A.R

• pilouuuu says:

I really FEAR all this nonsense about F2P that’s going on in the gaming industry.

2. Dances to Podcasts says:

No idea who Inplay are, but I hope Monolith gets some money of out this so they can try to find out who owns NOLF and make some more…

tikey says:

I had a lot of fun with F.E.A.R. the F.I.R.S.T. multiplayer.
    The coop mode was a blast. I remember playing with a friend, strolling around killing bad guys when suddenly one of those mecha things appeared. Immediately and without hesitation both of us run towards it and jump kicked it.
    Obviously the mech just shrugged it and killed us.

Fun times.

4. rspade says:

I really enjoyed the first F.E.A.R. game, but my interest in F.E.A.R.O. died the moment I saw that Aeria Games logo.

5. raskolnikov.mx says:

F.E.A.R.F.A.C.E.

6. Turkey says:

Meanwhile, Monolith is working on a LOTR MOBA. What the hell is going on?

7. Distec says:

I remember when FEAR was a series I gave a damn about. I understand not everybody was a fan, but I thought the first game was a tight, solid shooter. The firefights were all kind of samey, but they always excited me. It’s basically the “Gordon Freeman vs. The Marines” segments from Half-Life on steroids. I’ll also admit that its scares had me reeling back in my chair a number of times.

So what the hell happened? The sequel was okay, but the third game was beyond mediocre. And even though the story was nothing brilliant and was already getting silly, it seemed like nobody even tried to give a shit any more when F3AR rolled around. With no Monolith in sight, I don’t have high expectations of this.

• varangian says:

Yeah, I followed the same path. F.E.A.R. was a good shooter but I enjoyed the story too, and the first sequel/addon was OK. But I passed on everything beyond that as the reviews made it fairly obvious the storyline had disintegrated, the same characters were just being recycled and ditto for the shooty bits. Same syndrome as many US TV series, season 1 has a focused story and it turns out a hit, at which point everyone is forced to run on the spot as they try and spin the life of the franchise out for all eternity, destroying what made it good in the process.

Shame, the Alma story, whilst being unashamedly derivative, could have been made into something really interesting if it had been allowed to have a beginning, a middle and an end.

• Corb says:

funny enough F.E.A.R. 1 and F.E.A.R. 2 are the only games done by monolith and the only ones that were any good (but the 2nd one was getting pretty meh). Also congratulations to the group that decided that removing the main component (story) of the two games was the best way to bring it back to life! *slow clap*

8. Tiller says:

I regard the first F.E.A.R. as the last FPS that actually pushed gunplay forward for the FPS genre.

It’s a shame that this is what the franchise has become.

9. kopema says:

Spastic strobe effects? Ooh… spooky!

Seriously dude, that got old SOOOO long ago.

10. Felixader says:

What a shame. The moments when the fear games concentrated on the combat, were just great.
    I do not know wich of the later one games it was, but fighting in that city, blown apart by a atomic bomb and then finding the mech in ot was one of the finer, if somewhat simpler, moments in shooters that year.

I instantly wished for a shooter with this apocalyptic design and mechcombat taken as the overall design.
    The guns also always felt really powerfull and mechanical and were a joy to use.

kdz says:

I’m pretty sure there laready was a free-to-play version of the original game’s multiplayer mode!… 5 years ago.

12. Alexrd says:

F.E.A.R. Combat was great. Unfortunately they stopped supporting it in order to release this crap…

13. Wiz1974 says:

the last FEAR f2p online was actually very good. However hackers/cheaters etc killed the game

14. braincruser says:

Guys, how the fuck do you get scared from a multiplayer game??? A MMO none the less.

• nrvsNRG says:

wtf? nobody says you should be scared from a multiplayer game, and this isnt an MMO.

15. Iskariot says:

I own all FEAR games. I played the first one three times, but I just can’t see this working. This online FEAR thing will be very short-lived. FEAR online will fail I fear.

16. Fagadaba says:

From my experience with Aeria Games: they only publish low budget free to play/win games that mostly don’t live more than 2 years.

17. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Can you play as Alma? Get close to other players, and then ‘Press X to Raep.’

18. Enid121 says:

my best friend’s mom makes $70/hour on the computer. She has been laid off for 5 months but last month her paycheck was $21378 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more here
    ..>>> http://CNN13.7.ly/Xaa

19. fitzroy_doll says:

F.E.A.R. and Dead Space were killed by over-gamification in their 3rd installments.