Humble Origin Raising Millions, Adds Two More Games

By John Walker on August 22nd, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

The Humble Origin Bundle is getting bigger. At the very moment you’re reading this, their team of slave-children are adding two more games into the mix, and they’re classics. Going into the record-breaking bundle are Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 – Uprising, and – coo – Populous. And at this point, Humble Bundle have revealed that since they began, they’ve raised a total of over $20m for charities in just over two years.

This bundle has been nothing short of extraordinary. Nearly 1.7 million bundles sold, and well over $8 million raised for charities, and there are still six days to go. Whatever maniacal reasoning EA may have had, calculated in their terrifying dungeon laboratories, the results just cannot be scoffed at. It seems that just about everyone is benefiting, from EA with reputation improvements and a huge new audience dragged by the nose onto Origin, five very worthy charities who look likely to get a couple of million bucks each, and us getting a bunch of genuinely good games for very little money.

Right now, pay over the average of $4.82, and you’ll get Dead Space, Dead Space 3 (yeah, no 2), Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, Mirror’s Edge, the wonderful Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box, Battlefield 3, The Sims 3 and its starter pack, the classic Populous, and the expandalone Red Alert 3: Uprising (with a Steam key). Oh, and because it’s important that the universe offer some balance in the face of all this goodness, you also get the utterly awful Medal Of Honor – but you could always gift it to an enemy. And yes, the expansion for Red Alert 3, rather than Red Alert 3 and it combined, is a bit strange. But hey, it’s basically free! If you already bought the bundle, at any price, you’ll find those two added to your loot pile.

We’ll soon have a chat with Humble themselves to get their reaction to this all.

, .

1. Phantom_Renegade says:

Damn, was hoping for more sims expansions, they be ridiculously expensive considering their age.

• hozemilimej says:

upto I looked at the bank draft which had said $6171, I be certain …that…my mother in law had been realie taking home money in their spare time on there computar.. there neighbour haz done this 4 less than 6 months and just now cleard the debts on their place and got Ford Focus. read more at, http://www.buzz90.com

• Eddy9000 says:

I know that doing replies to spam in an attempt to be funny is frowned upon and lame and everything; but I have to ask whether anyone else thinks this one sounds like a high-seas pirate is spamming the website.

• Echo_Hotel says:

Everything is better when you read it in a pirate voice!
          Yee-arr everi’tin be better wen ye be readin it in a pirate voice, don’t ‘che know!

• Durandir says:

Well, there seems to be a sale going on (at least on my Origin, I’m in Norway) which puts most of the expansions on 50% off. Got the one I feel I wanted (Ambitions) for half off myself.

• Sir Buildbot Winslave says:

Thanks for the tip – might just pick something up :) Purely for analysis purposes, of course.

• frightlever says:

Frickin’ Sims 3… I installed it to see what it was like. Immediately declared it a load of crap and then spent two hours baby-sitting toons. You can see why it was kinda popular.

2. Ninja Foodstuff says:

Too bad The Sims 3 doesn’t work at all on the Mac like they advertise it does.

• naetharu says:

Which Mac/OS are you trying to run it on? We have a MacBook with Snow-Leopard and it works just fine. It needs the settings to be turned down a bit as our Mac lacks the power of most desktop PCs but its certainly playable.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

On OS 10.8 the launcher won’t even start. You can jump through a load of hoops and manually patch it (which also begs the question, why doesn’t Origin just download the fully patched version?), only to have it launch and then immediately crash.

The worst part is that there are so many issues with the Mac version, it’s impossible to find out if there is any way to make it work. There’s like a 70-page thread just about one issue. Normally I’d file a support ticket, but that’s not even possible. At least if it was on Steam, the Steam forums are sometimes helpful.

The only positive thing is that I’m not alone.

• Mildoze says:

Sadly, yes. You’re not alone. You’re lumped together with all the other people who were duped by Apple into buying their overpriced boutique computers. While it sucks to have so many hoops to jump through on MacOS to play some games, at least it’s a trade off. The OS is probably one of the easiest to use when you haven’t had a lot of experience with computers. To the rest of us who have been on Windows (w/e ver.) for nearly two decades, it can be frustratingly backwards. But I digress, what you really need to do is go online and study up on to build a rig ( Like this link here, it’s a great place to start: http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/how-to-build-a-pc.html ). While it can seem a bit overwhelming to some, it will be %25 of the cost of the current Mac Pro or w/e. I could rant all day about how I think Jobs got/gets waaaay too much credit for the “innovations” that “changed the way we think about computers”.So I’ll just liken him to a shipping captain circa 1700. Yeah, he was the best damn navigator in the seven seas, but he was also a cruel slave driver that only cared about three things (in this order) himself, money, and his ship. To hell with anyone or anything caught near his path or in his wake. Don’t take it from me though, just dig around. The Truth is out there. http://recomcomputers.wordpress.com/2012/02/04/the-truth-about-apple-computers-and-the-lies-they-spread/

• joq100 says:

The launcher works for me randomly 1 out of 10 times. Following this http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=365310 you can bypass the launcher and the game loads directly. The nightlife expansion is a different matter, just refuses to work. Mountain lion BTW

3. LionsPhil says:

You are also getting a faceful of DRM.

From the “Humble” Store.

• Kadayi says:

Fight the power!!!

Smashbox says:

No not liking DRM allowed!

• MichaelPalin says:

Why would anyone like DRM? You may not care, but liking it?

• kalirion says:

Depends on the DRM. I like to have games on Steam for various reasons, but I do not want any DRM on top of that.

• LionsPhil says:

Presumably you are at best indifferent to Steamworks DRM, though; what you want is the sugar-coating Steam also offers (automatic updates, join friends’ game, savegame synchronization, etc.).

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I think we’re well beyond Humble Bundles meaning “cross-platform” and “DRM-free”

• LionsPhil says:

I do not think it is unreasonable to consider it a bad thing that they are continuing along those lines.

• kalirion says:

Yes, they should have stuck to their principles instead of making many millions for charity.

• The Random One says:

Donating millions to charity does not mean all your actions are beyond reproach. I call this the Krahulik Principle.

Furthermore, if they had stuck to their guns they would still raise millions for charity. Only not from these specific games.

Disclaimer: I bought both this and the THQ bundle, so I disagree with this idea. I just don’t think it’s entirely without merit, and do wish Humble had remained DRM free.

• shaydeeadi says:

But the thing is that there are only so many indie games to sell and re-sell, and not many publishers will sell everything DRM free. The humble indie bundle still sticks to those guns. I don’t see how it’s that big of a deal that some bundles have DRM and some don’t, they are making tonnes for charity ( and selling insanely cheap games ) so whats the big problem you bloody misers?

• captainparty says:

For $5 for all those games, most of which are at least pretty decent, they can give me all the DRM they want.

• Grey Poupon says:

I’m guessing you didn’t play much during the golden age of DRM with Starforce, rootkits and crap.

• Kinch says:

Paying $5 for a bunch of great games with part of the proceeds going to charity is a robbery. You, sir, should be hunted (and hundreds of thousands of more yous, I imagine).

• Contrafibularity says:

Capitalism sure did a number on you.

• Spacecraft says:

You’re right he’s been brain washed or something by the system. How else could anyone like the idea of getting a lot of good games for cheap, and donating to a charity at the same time? Preposterous.

4. rustybroomhandle says:

Screw ‘em.

EDIT: Should clarify that “‘em” in this case is Humble, not EA/the charities/whatever. I wish there were another indie bundle build on the same three core principles that Humble started out with.

Next will be the Humble SecuROM Bundle, mark my words!

• Moraven says:

Pay what you want, non DRM/non launcher and linux? and indie?

• uh20 says:

all will be forgotten
        cept charity

how long has it been since the last linux-friendly bundle, seems like 3/4 of a year’s gone by

Csirke says:

Yeah, screw them for getting millions of dollars for charity, how dare they!

And also, for all the other nice stuff they do, like providing a pretty good DRM-free webstore, and still doing Humble Indie Bundles with about the same frequency they originally did. (And the ones they call “Humble Indie Bundle”, are still DRM-free and cross platform, they just do other stuff inbetween.)

They’re really terrible people.

• HothMonster says:

Not mention the humble weekly deals which have all (i believe) been indies or tiny publishers. And the open storefront where they middleman for indies selling on their own webpage.

I really don’t understand all the hate for them because they do some different style bundles. Not to mention you can always choose to not give Humble or the Dev money if you buy.

Throw 5 or more dollars at a charity(ies) and get some games. Why all the damn hate?

• John Walker says:

Out of interest, what have they done *wrong*? (I’m not saying they haven’t done wrong – I just don’t yet understand the argument.) They are still doing indie bundles, almost weekly at this point, and are still making hundreds of thousands of dollars for tiny indie companies. They’ve also done some bundles with big name publishers – which yes, feels contrary to their original bundles – but doesn’t mean the indie bundles aren’t still happening.

So why screw ‘em? Why does featuring publishers mean we need another bundle company to come along and do what Humble are already doing very successfully? (And I’m assuming you’re referring to THQ/Deep Silver, rather than something that’s purely raising money for charities?)

• trjp says:

Because entitlement *smashes rattle*

• LionsPhil says:

You can no longer safely assume “this purchase is through the Humble Store, therefore it will not be encumbered with DRM”.

This is somewhat of a betrayal of principles given they made a point of it from the start.

• trjp says:

In fairness, that post is talking about the first bundle they did – to assume that they would continue to apply that logic is possibly expecting a bit much.

End of the day they’re a business which just happens to match what people think-of as being ‘fair’ – they’re clearly in a position where they could become if not a competitor to Steam, at least a decent alternative – I’m not really too troubled if they do the occasional bit of corporate whoring to cement that.

In fact they couldn’t possibly hope to do it unless they did the whoring, really…

• Hahaha says:

LionsPhil, It’s not a HIB though. Post a list of HIB games that have had DRM, It will help your “cause” more.

• HothMonster says:

Why would you assume anything when it tells you on the page what platforms are supported and what if any DRM is involved.

• Caiman says:

Exactly. It’s not a Humble Indie Bundle for a start, and more importantly they have always been transparent about what DRM or other requirements any of their downloads have. Trying to make a big deal out of the DRM for non-Indie bundles under these circumstances is asinine.

draglikepull says:

Aside from the business model, I think two of the things that initially made the Humble Indie Bundles popular were:

1. No DRM.
        2. Every game was cross-platform.

A lot of people are big supporters of both of those ideals, and there’s a degree to which the HIB became something that could be held up as a successful model for other people to follow. They’ve kept the pricing, but eliminated some of the things that made what they were doing special.

That said, I have nothing but good things to say about this Origin Bundle. They’ve raised millions of dollars for charity by virtually giving away their games. I think that’s great, even though I do wish the Humble Bundle stuck more to its original principles in general.

Relatedly, I noticed that EA is not including the Electronic Frontier Foundation among its charities. It wasn’t an accident that the EFF was chosen in the first place, since it fights for the kinds of ideals that tend to be important to people who push for things like DRM-free games.

• trjp says:

What made the Humble Bundle popular was giving people a load of games for very little money

Trust me – Humble’s popularity over other bundles is down to people seeing them as THE way to get cheap games.

It’s not that Royale, Gala, Stars, Groupees etc. don’t offer as good a deal – but they don’t sell a FRACTION of the stuff and – ironically – they’ve remained closer to these so-called ‘ideals’ than Humble which suggests they’re nothing to do with it’s success or popularity at all.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Not saying that I share this viewpoint, but it’s hard to fulfil the role of championing the underdog when you’re in bed with the “enemy”.

Personally, I wish them luck, they came up with a great idea, and it’s working out for them.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Before I get to the gripes, the charity thing is a bit annoying because it’s assumed to make them criticism-proof. It’s like when you have a mentally handicapped kid in the room being a jerk, you’re not allowed to call him on it because he’s mentally handicapped. Charity is great, and adding it to the bundles is a great incentive to donate (even though people are free to donate to any charity they want whenever), and it’s great for them too due to the tax write-offiness of it. I just don’t think the presence of it puts them above criticism.

But ok, my gripe is basically that the brand was build on a few core principles. Principles that are very indie-slanted. They made a statement and stood for something. They showed that people with penguin-computers wanted to spend money on games. They showed that games with no DRM still found open wallets. Yeah, it was a brand one associated with pitching in for the underdog.

I used to be one that yelled at people for saying the things I am saying now about stuff like the THQ bundle. I also used to go “but, but, charity” and “there’s still Indie bundles”. But it’s slowly becoming apparent that Humble is honouring their VC investment by going after the money first and foremost. It’s not a crime to want money. But I used to admire them for having principles.

They can do whatever they want I guess, and it’s not my place to thell them what not to do, it just makes me despair somewhat to see them so proudly flying the EA + DRM + single platform flag.

• The Random One says:

OK, John. Hold on to my hand and travel with me to the distant and forgetten era of 2011. In this medieval age, Ubisoft is pushing their always-on DRM on their games and eating kittens. If only you could play their games DRM-free… but you can! Not their latest ones, but even relatively recent ones like Far Cry 2 and the first Assassin’s Creed were available, DRM-free, on GoG, which back then was still called GoG.

The thing is, GoG always sticks to their guns, and they only sell games through their storefront if they are DRM-free. You may think Ubi would have sold their games DRM-free anyway, but they wouldn’t. Not because they’re evil, or because they actually thought DRM did anything for their three-year-old games. Simply because their company byline was that DRM was good, and therefore it was worth it to make their old games call home to Uplay, even if it wasn’t always on. But since GoG only sells games that are DRM-free, they had to admit that DRM wasn’t that important, so they removed it. Or, to be clearer: it was roughly equal effort to them, as a company, to release those games DRM-free or DRM’ed, so they’d lean towards the company’s direction of releasing them DRM’ed given the chance, but since they weren’t, they didn’t.

So, if Humble had stuck their foot down and said they wouldn’t sell the THQ bundle unless they gave out DRM-free games, maybe they would have relented and done so. But they didn’t. (We don’t know how the conversation behind that went, of course. I don’t think Humble dropped their metaphorical trousers for THQ’s metaphorical frat paddle. But do they really have a lot to lose if they had refused?) And we don’t know the extent to which pushing Origin was on EA’s priorities on this bundle, but since they gave away some of the games with Steam keys, maybe they could be bothered to produce DRM-free versions as well.

All of these are hypotheticals, of course, and as I said before I don’t espouse this view and did buy both the EA and THQ bundles. But I don’t think a world in which Humble never sells games with DRM and thus I don’t have a bunch of AAA games on my Steam account that cost me two dollars is necessarily a worse world just because a few million dollars weren’t given to certain charities.

• Kubrick Stare Nun says:

“…purely raising money for charities?”

I must assume you believe the PR boost and new clients baiting is merely an unforeseen consequence?

The praise for this bundle does not belong to EA. It belongs to we who hated and boycotted this corporation to the point where it was forced to act nice for once.

5. S Jay says:

Populous Origin only… what a mad decision.

• Chalky says:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I don’t remember that being a “feature” of the game….

PoulWrist says:

Oh fanboys… you never cease to disappoint.

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

A hatred for Origin or pointing out the absurdity of adding DRM to an ancient game is not being a fanboy . . .

• Shooop says:

And neither do brainless shills like you.

• ElectricBanjo says:

While you do have to download it through Origin, the game itself is just DRM-free DOS executables and Dosbox. You can move them and never use Origin again.

• frightlever says:

It’s the old original Populous from 1989 which you CAN get on GoG but not on Steam AFAIK and even on Origin it comes with caveats. They probably just didn’t want the customer service hassle that putting it on Steam would have caused.

6. Megakoresh says:

EA are desperately trying to be good. It’s almost adorable. Almost. They need a good game and a good business practices around that game. And they need to continue those practices and those good games in the future. That’s what “being good” is actually about.

Raising millions for charity and then still milking people with sellout content and day1 DLCs and stupid pre-order bonuses which are cut-out from the game and adding retarded always-on DRM and screwing up the servers and breaking promises, it doesn’t do anything good to their rep.

Charity is a nice bonus. But we will judge them by how well made their GAMES are and how they sell them. In the end they are here to make games for us.

• sonson says:

Goodness me. You are a parody.

• eldwl says:

errm, I’m sorry to be “that guy”, but no they aren’t. EA are a public company, and they’re here to make money for their shareholders. That they make games that may or may not be entertaining is secondary.

• Apocalypse says:

EA is lousy at making money for their shareholders, just check their numbers in the last years, more often than not they end up with marginal profits or even losing investors money at alarming rates.

And the single biggest reason for this is their evil corporation image. You do not become twice in a row Americas worst company without losing sales about your business practices.

Furthermore has game theory clearly proven that cooperative behavior is more beneficial long-term than backstabbing potential partners for small short-term goals. It is the smart and egoistical behavior to play nice with others. The whole argument “they have to make money for shareholders this they are allowed to be evil” is ridiculous. For Pete’s sake it works the other way around: They are a public company and should create shareholder value thus they should not do constantly stupid things to piss of their customers and business partners and build up a good reputation to profit from.

• shutter says:

They’re in the black for two years running now (which is pretty much the two years that everyone’s been hating them).

Also, you realize game theory is an ultra-simplified way of modeling the world that relies on a whole bunch of assumptions (like rational participants) that doesn’t actually work when you apply it directly to real world situations, right?

• eldwl says:

Whilst you raise some interesting points, you’re putting words in my mouth. At no point did I say having shareholders meant they could be evil. I was merely pointing out that, as a public company, the number one priority is to their shareholders. Making good games is secondary to that. If EA comes up with a business plan saying they should ditch games and become a travel company, and the major shareholders agree, then that’s what they would do. We, as consumers, are very low on their priority list. I made no other points.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

And that game is Plants Vs Zombies 2.

Oh, wait.

7. Deadly Habit says:

And the Populous install from Origin comes up with a trojan Crypt,XPACK.Gen3 in it’s DOSBox.exe according to Avira.
    Funny none of my other DOSBox games from GOG have this issue…

• Koshinator says:

Seriously? That’s hilariously bad if that’s true….

PoulWrist says:

And that wouldn’t be the first time an antivirus program gave a false positive…

• Deadly Habit says:

Yea I’m well aware of false positives, but this would be the first time DOSBox.exe reported back one especially with the amount of titles I have from GOG and older titles I’ve made run myself in DOSBox.

• trjp says:

I’d be more concerned if you weren’t using Avira :)

*puts on PC Tech Hat*

If you feel you must have AV software, and you don’t REALLY need it unless you plan on downloading a lot of ‘unknown quantity’ software – just use Microsoft’s Security Essentials, because it’s low-resource and about as good as anything else on the market.

DO NOT EVER spend money on AV software – no, not ever Kaspersky which is a bloated piece of shit these days…

DO NOT EVER use AVG or Norton – both are PC crippling shitware.

Avira isn’t actually the worst – but I’ve never seen an AV which reported more false positives either – I guess you can’t really penalise it for being careful but…

• Disillusion3D says:

Had to register just to answer this.
        Do NOT trust Microsoft Security Essentials to protect you! Yes, they did start out ok but the quality has been steadily declining to abysmal levels!
        In the latest test by http://www.av-test.org/ Microsoft Security Essentials scored the lowest of all tested AV programs having achieved the lowest possible protection score of zero.! (http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/mayjun-2013/)
        If you want something that scored OK on both security and performance you could try Bitdefender.
        I’m evaluating them myself right now and so far it has been working out fine. (Not a big fan of the Security Widget but it’s optional and it’s a matter of aesthetics)

• Prime says:

Thanks for that, Disillusion3D. I would also have recommended Security Essentials. That link you supplied has brought that era to a very definite close!

• trjp says:

I’m not entirely sure what to make of that link because it contains no useful information on the nature of their testing!?!?

It apparently didn’t so well on 0 Day Malware” which doesn’t surprise me as it doesn’t update anything like daily anymore – a fact I’m assuming is down to the fact it’s W7 I’m using and they’ll be throwing their time and effort at W8 (the same happened with Vista and XP)!?

I note they rate AVG highly without noting it’s heinous nature in terms of being a resource hog, installing spyware/nagware and generally screwing-up people’s PCs (yes, including the paid version – in fact ESPECIALLY the paid version).

My main point wasn’t really to sell MSE tho – just to offer it as a ‘free and better than nothing with no downside’ alternative.

End of the day, unless you’re handling ‘unknown quantity’ files (e.g. you’re a pirate) you actually don’t need AV at all (and arguably they don’t need it because ‘Sandboxie’).

Most of the problems people run into these days are malware which mose AVs don’t even trouble themselves over (hijackers, spyware, adware, toolbars etc.) – I get a lot of “why is my AV ignoring the fact my PC is unusable thanks to malware” questions…

• trjp says:

Furthermore – a quick Google suggests that Avira simply throws that if it sees an Encrypted Exe with a certain pattern – looking for patterns in encrypted data is a bit scattershot!?!?!

Throw the file into an online virus checker such as this one and see what it says

• lordcooper says:

Funnily enough, googling the name of that trojan gives me page upon page of results, about 90% of which also contain the word ‘avira’. Seems like it’s particularly disposed towards giving false positives for that.

8. Moraven says:

Have not done Uprising yet. RA3 campaign was fun and had co-op. Uprising added more crazy units and interesting scenarios, but I was more invested into online at the time while it lasted.

9. Dragnerok_X says:

“five very worthy charities” Eh… I would debate that. Take for example that the HRC is not even a charity, but a left-wing PAC.

• Crimsoneer says:

“As the largest civil rights organization working to achieve equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans”

That’s not left wing, at all. That’s an individual liberties issue, trying to convince government to stay out of people’s personal lives – it’s pretty damn right wing, actually, just not republican.

• Dragnerok_X says:

Regardless, not a charity. Also I take issue with the red cross. Aside from being blood vampires to those of rarer blood types, they aren’t exactly the most efficient organization.

• Urthman says:

So who is the most efficient organization?

• trjp says:

There’s been a lot of grumbling about the charities they’ve chosen – but I think people are missing something here.

When someone decides to GIVE THEIR STUFF AWAY FOR CHARITY – as EA are choosing to do here – THEY get to choose the charity.

Excepting to get ‘stuff for free’ in return for a charity donation AND expecting to choose the charity is wrong-headed in my opinion.

If you want to choose a charity which better suits your views – by all means choose it and give your money to it.

If you want some EA games in return for donating to THEIR CHARITIES OF CHOICE – buy this bundle.

Simples…

Llewyn says:

Exactly. And, as I’ve said before in RPS comment threads, if you really don’t want to show much support for the donors’ preferred charities then the solution is:
            1) Purchase bundle for minimum amount
            2) Make a donation for the additional amount you were prepared to pay, preferably specifying that you’re making it because of X’s Humble Bundle activity (most charity donation forms have a comment field, in my experience)
            3) Send a nice email to the Humble participants to tell them what you’ve done

This one’s a bit different because it’s EA, so there’s little chance of your email reaching anyone who cares, but I suspect most developers who submit stuff for Humble Bundles would be quite pleased to hear that their generosity has sparked some, and some thought, from you even if they don’t agree with your choices.

• Dragnerok_X says:

Great ideas. +1

• Max Planck says:

Blood vampires?

• kalirion says:

You know, as opposed to the other type. Like Count Chocula.

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

So you make all your decisions in life based on the ramblings of random forum and blog writers? Oh, my!

• Dragnerok_X says:

Don’t be so quick to criticize. My brother has been on the receiving end of those calls and despite requesting to be taken off list something like five times now, they just keep calling.

• lordcooper says:

“Hey, you feel like saving someone’s life?”

“Fuck you, stop calling me”

• The Random One says:

“Blood vampires” actually sounds very apt because they’re metaphorically vampires, but they happen to metaphorically covet that which vampires literally covet, which is blood. But they don’t drink it. Except on Dr. McNinja.

This reminded me I need to donate blood.

• Max Planck says:

The left wing is actually FOR individual liberties, as long as they don’t involve taking other people’s liberties away. I think you got that mixed up.
        And as for LGBT rights being on the right wing agenda… Well it is, but not in the way you seem to think.

• LionsPhil says:

The whole “left-wing”/”right-wing” as derogatory statements tends to come from the crazy world of American politics, though, where up is down, black is white, and “liberal” is an insult while “liberty” is a founding value of the country.

• Max Planck says:

I believe it comes from the British Parliament where people would be seated in party order.

Also, both the Republican and the Democratic parties would be considered right-wing where I’m from.

EDIT: I stand corrected, it was the french.

• trjp says:

It comes from the parties in the French Parliament after the Revolution does it not?

In the UK, the sitting Government sits to the left and the opposition to the right IIRC (I got a trip around the place because I worked with a guy who was a Lord once – the highlight, indeed the only really interesting bit – was the bar). ;)

• mickygor says:

Ha, left wing governments tend to be incredibly authoritarian and as such eschew individual liberties in favour of “group” liberties, groups being nebulous unless forced to remain together, which contravenes individual liberty.

• MrTambourineMan says:

As do right wing governments, “individual” liberties are not individual but reserved only in context of Laissez-faire capitalism.

• mickygor says:

Well yes, but that only needed saying if you view politics as a left-right dichotomy and the two cannot share some if not all attributes.

• captainparty says:

Yeah, fuck those LGBT people wanting equal right, gosh darned left wingers!!

And the Red Cross! They steal blood! to give to people who need that blood to survive! Its disgusting.

• Dragnerok_X says:

“Equal rights” hmm… aren’t they equal already? It’s not like LGBTs are attacked on the street any more than your average person, nor denyed the right to vote or petition.

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

Exactly! They are totally equal!

Gay people have always had the right to marriage in America . . . oh, wait.
          Gay people are totally allowed to openly serve in the military and have been for decades . . . oh, wait.

No, you’re right. Equality is all about whether or not they are attacked more on the street than the average person. Heterosexuals are totally the victims of assault for being heterosexuals sometimes . . . oh, wait.

Dude, you want to lean to the right, go right ahead. There are a lot of good ideas over there. But don’t be an idiot.

• Dragnerok_X says:

@Phallacy Block’d.

As for the marriage issue, sodomy laws have been all but struck off the books in most states, leaving them free to engage in their behavior, just like they requested back in the 70s and 80s. Seeking to redefine marriage to something it fundamentally cannot be just to make one feel accepted is naive, and an attack on one of the fundamental pillars of a free society.

• Nick says:

yeah, gayness is all about sodomy and nothing else. And straight people never engage in a bit of the old backdoor action either.

• Tacroy says:

@Dragnerok I like that you blocked the guy while responding to him – great way to have the last word in an argument!

And asserting that we’re going to “redefine marriage to something it fundamentally cannot be just to make one feel accepted” and talking about sodomy, of all things (apparently lesbians don’t count?) makes it pretty clear you don’t understand the issues.

If we were forcing churches to honor same sex marriages, or forcing people into marriage unwillingly, you might maybe have the beginning of a point. Since it’s all purely secular and voluntary I think you’ve just been listening to too much AM radio.

• vivlo says:

@Dragnerok_X : you really seem like a not nice person, so i blocked you :(

• Tritagonist says:

@Dragnerok_X: Redefining marriage is a great catchphrase, I’ll give you that. However, it’s also a non-issue. In the Netherlands, for example, same-sex couples can confirm their relation via a registered partnership rather than a marriage: it’s a different name, but it gives the same tax benefits and has – with one or two exceptions concerning children – the same legal status. Separating the legal procedure from the cultural one has been a great success, it seems to me. Get the government stamp first, and then go about your business as you please: to a church, to a bar, to an open grassy field – it doesn’t matter.

• Melonfodder says:

No, they certainly do not have equal rights – that is what the whole cause is about. Also, gay people do get attacked more than the average person on the streets, even in first world countries. I find it almost flabbergasting that someone would go through life thinking these things.

• Tritagonist says:

Perhaps anticipating this, you can easily slide the contribution to one or more of the charities right down to zero.

10. Shazbut says:

Populous is…an interesting choice

• Dragnerok_X says:

Good game, but wouldn’t touch something that old unless I bought it boxed or from GOG, so I wouldn’t have to worry about bad emulation.

• FuzzyPuffin says:

Populous is a DOSbox game, it would be packaged the same if it were on GOG.

• Dragnerok_X says:

This may be true, but the folks at GOG have been known to much more willingly track down bugs in compatibility and patch them.

• Sir Buildbot Winslave says:

You are right to stay away from it. The risk is simply too great.

11. LXM says:

Damn, was hoping this would be expanded with Crysis 3 for paying above the average (optimistic I know but I figured since Dead Space 3 was in there it wasn’t out of the question)

12. The_B says:

On a positive extension to that it seems like there’s also a big Origin Sale going on at the same time.

Slightly funny that the games in this bundle are in the sale (I’ve no idea who’s going to buy DS3 for £8 at the same time as this, for example) but it does mean the BF3 expansions are cheaper than usual, and completing the Dead Space set by picking up 2 will only set you back less than £3

• trjp says:

Of course you could easily conclude that the bizarre range of games in the bundle has been designed to push people into doing exactly that – which is a tiny bit manipulative…

I’m just amazed to see them realise it would work tho – they may have learned something – and when companies that big learn things, trouble is coming.

• dE says:

And they’ve got Kingdom of Amalur for 3€. That’s a deal I could live with, now I need to weight my stance on origin a bit and see if it tips a bit more in its favor. The refunding stuff did a good job at that.

• trjp says:

The Saboteur is £3 and there’s 2 more interesting things about that

1 – despite it’s reputation for issues on Vista/W7 – it’s listed as being compatible with those
      2 – they do a 24hour money-back thing on Origin if it isn’t

So if you’ve waited all this time, wondering if it would work – now could be the best time to find out.

darkChozo says:

I bought that on some Origin sale after having loved it on 360 a while back, and it works fine for me on 7, with the caveat that I use a controller for that game.

13. Lobotomist says:

It even got me installing Origin!
    Which I systematically boycotted for years.

Good job EA. There might be a chance for us after all

14. HothMonster says:

Wow. I was expecting Dead Space 2 to be added. It’s exclusion seems really weird.

DrScuttles says:

Yeah, I was hoping it would be a week 2 addition, but as The_B points out a few comments up, it’s currently on sale on Origin for just shy of £3.
      It’s funny. Sometimes I find it so easy to act all world weary and jaded, then something like this happens to prove how naive I really can be.

On another note, for a second I was all what, when the chuff did they make a new Populous? But no. Proper 1989 original, which seems like a really strange inclusion. Did EA just hit the ‘random game’ button in the Origin store for that one?

15. bovine3dom says:

Please ask them why they are accepting “Humble Tips” when EA is giving its share to charity.

• pupsikaso says:

Because running the servers required to do downloads for all these games to the millions of people that purchased it, an then maintaining the download pages for all these people for the forseeable future costs a lot of money. Dimwit.

• The_B says:

The download servers for the games themselves – as these games are entirely through Origin – aren’t Humble’s responsibility, that’s EAs (or Valve for the Steam version). But certainly pupsikaso is right with things like the servers for the keys, support and general running of the promo: it’s one thing to give all your profits to charity, but doing something like this that gets this popular accrues immense running costs, there is literally no way something on this scale could be done without Humble getting some kind of money from somewhere.

• Shooop says:

Haven’t you read the print for that? It’s to keep the download servers running so you can actually get the files you buy.

16. Engonge says:

Stop being socialists, let EA take a piece of the pie.

17. Liudeius says:

And at a 15% base cut, (compared to charity 40%), they’ve earned nearly 10 million.
    Which is why my Humble tip is always 0.

• BroodKiller says:

They got over 8 mln so far but I think that it’s the total value of all purchases, Humble Tip included. Which still gives a nice one-point-something million for the future bundles. If you ask me – they deserve it!

• Liudeius says:

Why do they deserve to be rich?
        Yes, we have benefited from their actions with cheap games, but all they are doing is leaching off of other people’s skill (the developers) and charity (those who buy for charity and don’t bother changing the sliders).

A few people, rich by being business men (Sequoia Capital), are making money out of money and contributing nothing themselves. Meanwhile talented developers are edging by on a reasonable, but far from luxurious salary using ACTUAL talent and ACTUALLY contributing.

Perhaps they are not as bad as most CEO’s and Wall Street (I don’t know enough about their finances to say). But they certainly don’t deserve more than the people who actually do the work.

18. Greggh says:

So much anger in these comments… where is the love for good games people? Buried by DRM?

PS: I was just about to write about not getting these two games since I paid less than avg before they came into the bundle – just got an email from HB – gotta love those guys…

19. Flea says:

I don’t want to sound ungrateful cause the bundle is really great and I bought it, but what were they smoking when they added Populous? Is there anyone who’s going to play it in 2013?

Why not add Horace and the Spiders? Yes, Google it if you’re too young.

• The_B says:

In fairness, I think pretty much most of how GOG started would indicate there is an audience for the older games, even if only for curiosity’s sake.

• Flea says:

I know, I have some GOG games myself cause it’s nice to go back to that feeling when I was young(er), but when it comes to getting involved with them from start to finish, I usually find out they’re too dated.

I guess I was just speaking from my own point of view, there are obviously people who will gladly play Populous again and enjoy it.

• Taidan says:

I still play Populous regularly… But then again, I already bought GOG’s release of it, so yeah.

(And when it comes down to actually playing it, it’s usually via Amiga emulator anyway.)

jrodman says:

If GOG would ship Amiga titles, there are probably over 100 games I would buy.

• Flea says:

There’s my answer. There are people who play Populous in 2013!

jrodman, I would buy Amiga games too, I just don’t know if I would play them. Until they offer them for sale, you can download them as EXE files from here: http://thecompany.pl/gra. No emulator necessary.

20. Shooop says:

I’m sure this makes perfect financial sense for EA somehow, and it’s nice to see money go to charities – even if a few of them make questionable use of that money.

But as some others have said, what exactly was the point of them slapping their Origin DRM on a game that didn’t have any in the first place (Populous)? I don’t see that how that game would benefit from any of Origin’s social networking features so why take the extra step to put it in?

• The_B says:

Frankly I think it’s just as simple as to be able to sell it on their store. Sure, there’s lots of stuff on the Origin store that doesn’t use Origin, but as Steam has proven often just the convenience of having something on the same download service you already regularly use is enough to convince you to buy it/buy it again.

And of course, there’s the simple matter of brand solidarity. If you’ve got a platform to push, making sure all your games going forward use it is a pretty surefire way of ensuring it gets used somehow.

21. 7Seas says:

Hi John,

Just a note, but the Medal of Honour included is “Medal of Honour” Metacritic 72 *(http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/medal-of-honor) not “Medal of Honour: Warfighter” Metacritic 55 (http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/medal-of-honor-warfighter).

I bought the pack and played through the included Medal of Honour and rather enjoyed its single player. Nothing that revolutionary, but decent fun for under $5!

Your affectionate critic,

7Seas.

22. NormanTimbers says:

But is crysis 2 and dead space 2 worth a fraction of a penny?

jrodman says:

Wake me when they take out all the DRM.

• vehementi says:

No kidding, it’s funny how people lap it up after getting royally screwed by EA over and over. Oh, EA is such a great company! Major props to EA! …for having a failing service they’re now *giving away games* in order to get Origin users and buy PR as political capital to fuck you over on the next game.

jrodman says:

Well named!

• Liudeius says:

Oh yeah, I can get 8 AAA titles for $5.

But screw me right?

I am certainly not going to use Origin, and am certainly not going to look on EA any more favorably, but the fact is, these games are a great deal, and you don’t have to benefit EA at all through them.

24. jfrisby says:

I still think Humble Bundle is an elaborate tax-avoidance scheme (via the charitable gift deductions they’re pooling and doing who-knows-what with).

• Liudeius says:

You really think EA needs a fake bundle to scam the public?
      Ha, how naive, that’s what they pay off the government for.

I’m betting it’s just a way to encourage Origin use. Populous and Sims 3 both exist off of Origin, yet they are only selling the Origin version.

25. Enid121 says:

my best friend’s mom makes $70/hour on the computer. She has been laid off for 5 months but last month her paycheck was $21378 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more here
    ..>>> http://CNN13.7.ly/Xaa

26. svge says:

Not sure if anyone’s mentioned it, or it’s completely obvious to everyone but Steam codes are also provided for Dead Space 1, MoH, Burnout, Crysis 2, Mirrors edge and C&C. I only got it for Mirror’s edge so that was a pleasant surprise.

27. SavannaJeff says:

I’m a bit disappointed there aren’t more international charities, they all seem to be very American focused aside from Watsi.