Nico Time: Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse Trailer

By Craig Pearson on August 22nd, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Adventure games are making something of a comeback, floating on the sea of nostalgia while clinging to a life raft made from Kickstarter pledges, stretch goals, and hope. One of those out to sea games is Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse, the 2Dish return of Nico and George. They’re preparing to make land this Winter, and will probably have quite the story to tell. They’ll crawl onto land and breathlessly tell us about stolen paintings, the devil, and evil pizza delivery men with guns, and we’ll just nod and say “yes, mmmhhmm, go on” while pocket-dialing for help. A trailer for this is below.

This is what $771,560 gets us. More conspiratorial silliness that I’m actually quite excited to play. The first pair of games, and Beneath A Steel Sky, made me think that all adventure games could be made with that sense of style and fun. I really loved them, and it pained me to have the next couple of games in the series mangling the form into 3D action adventures. It’s the 3D in the trailer is the only thing that has me a little bit worried: the backgrounds and action don’t quite merge, and some of the animation is wooden. I have a fear that they might toss in a few action sequences to justify the odd character model’s inclusion. But other than that, it looks like it has the sort of nonsense that I loved about the series.

As a side note, it’s good to see a game acknowledge the existence of a mobile phone with a camera.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Keyrock says:

I’m pretty excited myself. This definitely looks like the good ol’ Broken Sword I remember.

• hozemilimej says:

If you think Debra`s story is unimaginable,, 4 weeks ago my sis easily made $4333 just sitting there a 10 hour week from their apartment and they’re classmate’s sister-in-law`s neighbour has done this for four months and errned over $4333 in their spare time from their computer. the tips available on this page,, http://www.buzz90.com

2. noodlecake says:

I quite enjoyed the action sequences in Broken Sword 4. I thought it was rather fun. It definitely suits the theme of the game to have mad action sequences, in the same way as it does in the Uncharted series.

3. Monkeh says:

Real shame they had to go and use 3D models for the objects/characters and the reason for doing so is probably time/money. :(

IMO combining 2D and 3D art almost never works, unless you manage to make the 3D models VERY similar to the 2D art.

Still, on a less negative note, it does look quite familiar, in a good way.

• S Jay says:

Yeah, it looks odd. But if the gameplay is good, I don’t mind.

• Calabi says:

It can be done there is some Japanese fighting games which you would not believe are 3D including the clippy animations and baked in incorrect lighting. You only notice when they swing the camera around.

Its a shame the animations and graphics dont look better here but they dont really have the time or funds for r and d.

• Monkeh says:

To give an animation example, even Princess Mononoke (Mononoke-hime), one of the prettiest animes ever made, uses 3D renders for some things. Yet they look so similar to the rest of the art, you can barely even notice it. So yeah, sure it can be done, but once you put that much time and effort into it, you’re not doing it to save time/money, but because it would’ve been almost impossible to draw.

Hodge says:

Yeah, this one’s looking good. And kudos to Revolution for doing the big-budget Kickstarter thing properly, they’ve been a class act all the way.

5. XhomeB says:

Well, I helped kickstart the thing, so it’d better be good OR ELSE! *shakes fist*
    The animations are a bit wooden indeed, but I don’t mind them, they’re adequate. The graphics overall look much, much better than in BS3 and 4, which is everything I ever wanted.
    Now, the puzzles, writing and story are naturally my biggest worries. I loved Shadow of the Templars and The Smoking Mirror, but 3 and 4… not so much.

• Ross Angus says:

I’m replaying them all at the moment. I have to admit, I agree with you. 3D doesn’t age as well as 2D.

6. LennyLeonardo says:

Ooh, Battersea! I hope you can visit the cats’ and dogs’ home.

I typed ‘dongs’ by mistake. Twice. Maybe Freud was right.

7. Rinu says:

3D characters do look plastic but the rest feels great. And it’s pre-alpha. I backed it and I really don’t know what to expect because I haven’t followed Revolution’s social profiles. And I like the feeling; keeping my fingers crossed for a nice surprise :).

RedViv says:

Never forgoat, people! Never forgoat!

9. Enid121 says:

my best friend’s mom makes $70/hour on the computer. She has been laid off for 5 months but last month her paycheck was $21378 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more here
    ..>>> http://CNN13.7.ly/Xaa

10. dolgion1 says:

Oh my it looks glorious. Broken Sword always had a very polished and colorful look. Nice to see 2D being embraced. Why didn’t I back this again?