Boo(m) – Call Of Duty: Ghosts To Have Dedicated Servers

By Nathan Grayson on August 23rd, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Angry man shootyblams – that most noble of sports – are surprisingly complex business. To an outsider, it might seem like a simple matter of pointing your perpetually enraged avatar in a direction and pulling the trigger – practically killing with your mind, except your mind is a gun – but sometimes there are other factors to consider. Loadout, map, and how best to demean your generally reasonable foes with hurtful language, sure, but also things of a more sinister nature. Yeah, I’m talking about lag. Peer-to-peer connections topple, empires fall. What’s, say, a Call of Duty game to do? Yep: give up and get cancelled. No wait, sorry. Dedicated servers.

Speaking with NowGamer, Infinity Ward’s Mark Rubin explained that Call of Duty: Ghosts is going all-in with dedicated servers.

“We did mention dedicated servers on Xbox One. One thing I can say is we’re also doing dedicated servers on PC. So PC will be all dedicated servers, all of it.”

It’s not just about keeping games silky and quick, though. Actually, that barely seemed to be at the forefront of Rubin’s mind at all. Instead, for better or worse, his principle goal is apparently secret patches.

“Basically the overall reasoning behind it all is we’re always updating the games, even whether the community knows it or not. We’re making changes that they don’t know about because we want to see the changes happen without [affecting] peoples sort of free perceptions on what they think has happened, so sometimes we stealth in changes to design and see how they react.”

I suppose when you’re working with a community that would rather fire off death threats than newly nerfed bullets, you’ve got to get them to actually try various changes one way or another.

Still though, the promise of dedicated servers is an encouraging one. Taken with other recent soundbites, it’s enough to make me believe that Infinity Ward might actually be giving PC the top-to-bottom best version of its modern military megalith. Not that it means all that much to me since I may or may not actually end up playing it, but the more high-quality PC ports, the better. And if anyone can lead the charge on a trend, it’s Activision’s mighty, multi-billion dollar winner of all the breads. So yeah, optimism sorta!

, , .

1. fiddlesticks says:

Are you saying Boo(m) or Boo(m)-urns?

2. adonf says:

I’m not sure what you mean by dedicated servers. Are those servers that anyone can run (that would be a good thing) or servers that are hosted by the publisher (not so good) ?

• Ross Angus says:

This is where I got confused too. I am a simple man.

• FakeAssName says:

Un-Dedicated servers = Activision owned (or rented) server running more than one game (I.E. cod3,fall of cybertron, blops2 all hosted on the same server).

Dedicated servers = Activision owned (or rented) server that only hosts cod(og) games (not to say it wont be running multiple games of cod(og) at the same time ….)

• MasterDex says:

These are dedicated servers in that they’ll be hosted by a hosting company or GSP (game server provider) and will be computers (virtual or otherwise), the only purpose of which will be running the server and all that entails.

The chances are, knowing how Activision have liked to play things in recent years, that this will mean that there will be no option to host your own dedicated server from your home or any datacentre/GSP that doesn’t have Activision approval. It’s also highly likely that you won’t be able to run modded servers, etc, with only perhaps the few options available to renters being playlist, player and round-specific parameters.

3. Scumbag says:

Did they not claim something similar regarding Modern Warface 3? It had dedicated servers, but the servers were a bit clumsy due to them all being unranked or something?

• newguy2012 says:

True, MW3 had ranked servers but they were very basic. No ranking at all, you did not earn xp and all weapons were just unlocked since you had to create your classes in the custom match menu, not the classes that were used for ranked play.

If it is like MW3 its just a useless and no fun at all.

4. Screamer says:

I think they are starting to feel the battlefield nut squeeze!

• Shooop says:

Why would they? They’re pretty much the same games these days.

Gap Gen says:

SCREW YOU ACTIVISION. I’MA TAKE MY MONEY ELSEWHERE.

• The Random One says:

Furthermore, I shall assault your employees with the intent to murder them, and will utilize my sexual appendages in perpetrating such a deed.

Gap Gen says:

Right, I forgot threats of personal violence. Spending time in the real world has made me forget that on the internet laws of personal decency and, indeed, actual laws* do not apply. Can I start over?

*According to governments that covertly collected data on members of the public without court authorisation, I suppose.

• The Random One says:

I’ll let it slide this one time, but do it again and I’ll suspend your Anonymous Commenter license and you’ll have to start behaving like a normal human being.

6. MrSean490 says:

Will we have dedicated server FILES (allowing us to host at home) or is this just another one of those bullshit you-gotta-rent-a-server-with-an-Activision-partner thing?

• Ansob says:

Probably neither. I imagine they’ll go for the same model as BlOps 2, where Treyarch ran all the servers, and consequently they were all piece of shit machines with extremely low ticrate, making the netcode utterly terrible.

Which is not so good.

Even if they do go back to the BlOps 1 model of rentable servers, there is no way they’ll release server files.

7. Runty McTall says:

Hmm, changing things around without telling me has the potential to be pretty damn aggravating, does it not? I mean, if you make a weapon less effective (for example) and don’t tell me then I will go on using it as I did before but be perplexed by why it’s not working as expected.

Just sounds tedious if the adjustments are at all perceptible.

• MasterDex says:

From having spent years on various official and non-official FPS forums, I think they might be on to something.

Let’s say for example they see telemetry on the shotgun and decide that it’s overpowered and that power is being abused. Instead of playing around with a small team of testers in the studio and hoping they hit the right stats for good balance, they can incrementally adjust the stats and watch the telemetry as it comes in and adjust more or less based on that feedback.

Then, while balance falls quietly into place, the players are none the wiser because they didn’t see:

Patch Notes 1.01.23

-Shotgun Damage lowered by 2% and Range lowered by 5% to bring it into line with everything else.

…And then post several threads in caps screaming about how the developers are the cancer killing gaming and the gunk between our toes.

It could work. But then again, it could also have the adverse effect of creating a community of uber-paranoid knee-jerk pubstars.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

So yay, but also boo?

• Ross Angus says:

I think you mean “horah”, but also “nay”, Sir.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Well actually I meant “sipping tea with barely perceptible satisfaction” but also “indicating mild displeasure with a minutely cocked eyebrow”. But subtlety is wasted on the yoof of today. A stick’s too good for them. In my day a gentleman could eloquently indicate both pleasure and displeasure merely by varying his pulse.

• Ross Angus says:

Thank you. My world is now in order.

Gap Gen says:

A stick? Why thank you good sir, you’re too kind.

• Smion says:

This stick will feed me family for years. Thank ye, good sir and merry christmas to’s all. (apparently the only kind of accent I’m able to convey in the written word is dwarven)

Gap Gen says:

But Smion, that reads nothing like Welsh.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I do like a chap who knows his place. Have a groat, my good man, then run along before I summon a constable to transport you to Australia.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

I take it your eyebrow is slightly cocked by your erect little pinky cocking it as you are holding the fine bone china cup in the correct manner!

9. Enid121 says:

my best friend’s mom makes $70/hour on the computer. She has been laid off for 5 months but last month her paycheck was $21378 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more here
    ..>>> http://CNN13.7.ly/Xaa

10. rocketman71 says:

They always say dedicated servers, but what they mean is paid servers.

Until they release public server files and a LAN mode, they can shove them up their ass.

• MasterDex says:

Well, uhh, a dedicated server is still a dedicated server. If it’s a paid server, and it’s dedicated then it’s still a dedicated server, albeit a paid dedicated server.

At some point, people are going to have to accept that the big dogs like EA and Activision, and more besides, will not be releasing public server files and supporting LAN like they used to.

11. YogSo says:

I’ve just logged in to say that the introductory paragraph is one of the most beautiful things I’ve read on RPS. Well done, Nathan, well done.

12. mouton says:

Oh nice, now all that is left is it being not a good game at all.

13. int says:

Now how about big maps and more players? They’ve done it before.

Come on CoD. I will make you fishers of men.

14. The Random One says:

Angry Men Shootyblam is a perfect name for the genre.

strangeloup says:

It is! I do also quite like Yahtzee’s far more immature but equally appropriate term, “spunkgargleweewee”.