Colonial Conundrum: A Lovely New Maia Video

By Craig Pearson on August 23rd, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Philosophy would be so much easier if we could use console commands. Here’s a conundrum people in the new Maia alpha are asking: “What comes first? The door, or the workshop that you need to build to build the workshop door?” It’s actually a trick question, and the answer is that you need to build the workshop first, then use debug commands to place a door. So technically the workshop. As the video shows, the door to the workshop is the first step on the space colony’s sodden road to self-sufficiency, with the systemic strategy game’s colonists using the workshop to build a table to use the table to get to work. If you add lights to the workshop, the people will be able to build things in a more efficient manner. Brilliant!

This might be a strategy game that I can understand and play. I’m no good at predicting things, but even I can tell what’s needed when a blackout happens, or when water is running low. And I love that the sound tells a story as well. The little blips and bleeps have as much to say about your colony’s condition as the huge thump that happens when a meteor lands during developer Simon Roth’s playthrough.

Maia is currently in a paid-access alpha.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Gap Gen says:

Needs more dubstep and jarring visual effects.

2. Beernut says:

Did anybody else pause the video at 4:50 to check thunderbird for new mail? ^^

3. Triplanetary says:

I Kickstarted this, and thus have access to the alphas, but I’m waiting for betas or even the final release. I just don’t really feel like installing and messing around with alphas. If I thought I would have constructive feedback for the dev team, I might, but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t (I’m super lazy).

4. Perjoss says:

I decided to kickstart this one and dropped a lot more than I usually do on kickstarter projects. I can’t put my finger on it but there’s something I really like about this project and Simon too. From the last video it looks like he’s been working really hard. I’m quite excited to get stuck in properly as soon as I have some time. Such is the life of a 40 year old gamer, I’ve got the cash to buy the games, I just need to magically pull some free time from out of my arse somehow.

• Baboonanza says:

Ain’t that the truth. Some people have emotional baggage, I have my games backlog.

5. colw00t says:

I backed Maia on Kickstarter, and I’m consistently amazed by how quickly it’s been coming along. Even on this alpha video where doors are not quite in, there’s a huge amount of background simulation that is already working nicely.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

There’s definitely a Dwarf Fortress vibe to the development.

Doors? Screw that, my good man. Spaniels! Spaniels are the focus of development. Damn it, the chickens are in the reactor again…

Gap Gen says:

Ah, I remember when Charles Spaniel was King. Those were the golden days.

• colw00t says:

I think it’s clear that Spaniels should always be a development priority.

Doors are just high-falutin holes in a wall anyway.

Gap Gen says:

Agreed, they’re just windows for weaklings who don’t like cleaning up glass that exploded everywhere the last time someone entered a room.

darkChozo says:

And, in all fairness, a pile of Spaniels makes for a good door substitute in a pinch. Even comes with its own alarm system, at least for interior doors.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

That might explain the “Chicken with an eyeless human head” bug they had recently.

6. Iskariot says:

I am looking very much forward to this. This is the type of game I love to sink time into.
    And I feel it is one of those ideas that makes you wonder why nobody came up with it before.

• The Random One says:

To be fair, others did come up with similar ideas. Spacebase DF-9 from the Double Fine Amnesia Fortnight and Astrobase Commandeer that RPS featured just last week, for two. But none is as far along as Maia, or looking as good.

gorgonaut says:

I happened to notice that the lady building the table (about 01:50-ish in the video) has a skin temperature of 37.something. That’s way too high. She’s clearly having a fever. Average skin temperature is normally about 33 °C, while core temp needs to be around 36-37.

That would be the filthy pedant post of today.

(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1752199/)