Sadly No Fey-Corgis: Neverwinter Update

By Ben Barrett on August 23rd, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Fabulous punch! Sparkle slash!

Yes they’re a (fan-made) real thing. If you have the option to play one and don’t, you’re basically betraying yourself and all that is good in this world. Get to it. Anyway, on the video-based games front, Perfect World send word that their first major expansion to free-to-play hay-what-this-isn’t-all-that-bad-actually MMO Neverwinter has gone live. Fury of the Feywild┬áis based on the fairytale-inspired alternate dimension that is now causing all sorts of bother for our great heroes. Trailer through the portal.

I actually played a not-insignificant amount of Neverwinter earlier this year because MMOs are a great way to turn off a troubled brain. I’d likely have played a lot longer if my aging rig could have kept up with the ever-increasing numbers of enemies and effects on screen. There’s some really cool, long, hard (oo-er) boss fights to be had in its dungeons and combat was a joy compared to the non-interactive button smashing of the genre’s aging veterans. Player creation tool The Forge is a marvel as well, producing much of the game’s best content and providing endless variety (as well as endless attempts to break the game).

Sadly, it looks like upcoming Everquest: Next is going to overshadow this in every way. With luck, an established fanbase and differing business models will keep Neverwinter above ice but I’m not sure how much hope to hold. Still, at the very least while you wait, go have a play.

And here’s a picture to make sure those of you who didn’t click that first link, do:

Can you imagine if this guy was in the game? I don't think I'd ever play anything else.

, , .

1. dontnormally says:

It seems the break is missing for to hide the vid embed from frontpagery.

[edit] It is fixed and my comment no longer has purpose.

2. Sakkura says:

Everquest Next? What about Wildstar Online?

• tyren says:

EQN is free-to-play like Neverwinter so it’s probably a better comparison.

3. Demiath says:

The futurist tendencies of glorified blogs such as RPS can get a little silly sometimes. Everquest Next won’t be out tomorrow, y’know, so Neverwinter has plenty of time to rack up those microtransactions before its off to the Next Big Thing. That’s how non-WoW MMOs seem to work, and presumably it’s enough for the investors – or otherwise we wouldn’t see B-tier products such as Neverwinter at all, right?

• Keyrock says:

Yeah, is there even a tentative release date for Everquest Next? I fully don’t expect to see that game, even in so much as an open beta, for at least a year.

• Ben Barrett says:

I agree, hence “while you wait.”

4. InternetBatman says:

I’m surprised they chose the feywild. I never thought it was a particularly compelling addition to D&D.

5. Kaira- says:

Fey corgis are pretty great. A friend of mine plays a corgyn warrior named Corrin in a campaign I’m running. Good stuff, and lots of socks.

6. phylum sinter says:

Hey what the heck, this looks really nice… One question:

I game alone. Can i play this MMO like a Single Player RPG and have fun?

7. huldu says:

I played nwo for a couple of days and then never returned. That’s the only good thing about a f2p game, it gives you the chance to try them at least, for “free”. Then again I haven’t played a f2p mmo for more than a few days at most. I spent 5 years in daoc and 5 years in WoW. I get disgusting by the micro-transaction stores and all that crap they’re pulling off nowadays.

The whole idea behind a f2p was that it wouldn’t affect the actual gameplay, but it always does. You can’t build an entire game on peoples vanity by only selling cosmetic items. Don’t get me wrong here it *does* work, but you’re really aiming at a tiny part of your player base. That’s why they usually add more… gameplay impacting buffs and all that kind of nonsense. It varies a lot depending on what f2p game it is of course. Some of them aren’t too bad with their f2p system while others are just in there to bleed you dry.