Sky Nations Takes Minecraft For A Balloon Ride

By Craig Pearson on August 23rd, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Nice floater.

Minecraft has the ground covered, and Starmade does the whole “Minecraft in space” thing that was inevitable. But what about that bit in between? Where the ground isn’t quite the ground, but it’s definitely not space because there are no tweeting astronauts? That part of the world needs a game, if only to bridge the gap. That’s where Sky Nations floats along: in it people will live and die and laugh and love and play a block-based multiplayer game in the sky. And how do they stay up there? Airships.

And we all know how RPS feels about airships. We love them. We adore them. We have nights where we all gather on servers and fire cannons at each other from them, which is exactly what Sky Nations does. Build your ship on one of the floating islands or jutting rock stacks, sculpt your own items to wear, gather resources, and head off into to the clouds of your server for adventure and battles. Or other servers. The thing that excites me most about this is that there will be linked worlds, allowing you to hop into another one with your ship. Exciting, and potentially dramatic!

Slightly sweary Let’s Play video below.

I understand people feel the blocky aesthetic has been overdone a bit, but if it allows people to make their game and test out ideas then I’m all for it. He has some really good notions for this: I love the idea of using ice on the deck of your ship to stop people from sky-diving onto it. Interested? You can buy it from here.

Via this Reddit post right here.

, , , .

1. Premium User Badge amateurviking says:

How do they rise up?

• povu says:

They rise heads up, heads up, heads up

• Marsha124 says:

my neighbor’s mother makes $75 an hour on the laptop. She has been fired for nine months but last month her income was $14074 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this web site…>>> http://7.ly/YwP

2. felix330 says:

I like the concept, but right now, it’s not very different from minecraft with a few mods for airships and skylands. (which AFAIK both already exist) Hope they will add some more unique stuff.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

There was an airship mod, but the author disappeared ages ago and I think it’s essentially dead. I presume the aether mod is the skylands you’re referring to. I’m not clear on the status but the original Is kaput and I’m not sure if the replacement project was dead in the water or not. :\

• Russianranger says:

Actually there is a new Airship mod being made by Balkon, he’s got it pretty well good to go. Its up to date with 1.6.2 so you can go and look it up. It also has boats!

• SirMonkeyWrench says:

There are at least a dozen mods that add sky lands in some capacity or another, of particular note being the Aether mod and mystcraft, which allows you to create and customize the environs of your sky lands down to the minutest details.

3. misterT0AST says:

I don’t know which one I’m more tired of, the blocky style resembling Minecraft or kids complaining about every single game with that look being a Minecraft ripoff.

4. Artist says:

Pretty good alpha already. Worth the few bucks.

5. Axyl says:

“..because there are no tweeting astronauts?”

Is it just me.. or does “tweeting” sound like an expletive? Is that a thing now? :D

6. Svardskampe says:

This was actually part of a concept of me…damn

7. darkhog says:

Guess which game I’ll be buying next?

8. realitysconcierge says:

The RPS minecraft server has some amazing airships on it already. If you haven’t checked them out already, it is worth it.

9. Amstrad says:

Its nice to see one of these voxel games not using Java for once.

• waaaaaaaals says:

It’s one of the major benefits of taking the genre out of Notch’s hands (not that it was ever in his hands, it just had Doom syndrome).

The horror stories of how badly coded Minecraft is, is quite horrifying.

As with Doom, all the different ways other developers are branching out makes it quite interesting.

10. racccoon says:

On the topic of minecraft style games: The great thing about “7 DAYS TO DIE” is stuff falls down and the zombies are insane at night time + its great game so check it out!

11. Premium User Badge Continuity says:

Bought.

Its fun, built a cool ship, got ganked. Killed the pirate and stole all his stuff..

:D

12. Alien426 says:

Minecraft :: Sky Nations
    Terraria :: Windforge

13. Artist says:

Would add a piece:
    Minecraft :: Sky Nations :: StarMade
    Terraria :: Windforge :: Starbound

14. ClumZy says:

I bought it a few hours ago and it’s brilliant !

• Premium User Badge Continuity says:

Yeah the engine is pretty tight for this early stage of the development. Main problem is there isn’t much to do after you’ve built your ship and explored a bit; battles are fun but other than trolling there isn’t much point. I’m sure this will all be addressed as the build progresses, a very solid alpha though.