Underground, Overground: Age Of Wonders III Footage

By Craig Pearson on August 23rd, 2013 at 11:00 am.

BIG spider!
If you found the recent announcement of a delay to glorious fantasy strat-fest Age Of Wonders III a bit chafing, then I have a soothing salve for you. Accepting that the release is sometime in 2014 will sting a fair bit, but it’ll be just a little bit easier to bear after watching the 11 minutes of footage we have. It takes us from the sulphurous underground lair of Dreadnought Gustav Gorsmorg, to the lovely clean top soil where I want to live. Fighting all the way, of course. He is a Dwarf.

Not being familiar with what I’m seeing, I think the best bit in this demo is obviously the land ship, rolling along the surface like a lost child’s toy. That and the water effects of the river. You might disagree, but I speak from a position of absolute ignorance, so I’m pretty comfortable right now. Actually, the brief look at the map as it transitions from live game to lovely, papery a rendition of the world is also gorgeous, as are the flame tanks.

I’m beginning to see why Notch wanted to help them out. They appear to be making a very lovely game indeed. Here, have 11 minutes of it to enjoy.

Yeah, it’s out sometime in 2014.

__________________

« | »

, .

Top comments

1. Shadowcat says:

“Underground, Overground, Wondering III”

1. Grey Poupon says:

I’ve always preferred the AoW series to the HoMMs. The combat is so much more versatile. And the fact that this is pretty much a true sequel, not a streamlined bastardization. Never thought the day would come when I’d see this happening. Thank you Notch.

If anyone wants to try the series out, AoW2: Shadow Magic is still a very playable game.

• lordcooper says:

Thotch.

• Malk_Content says:

Me and mine have recently been playing AoW:SM multiplayer. Everyone has another game they play at the same time (for me its CKII) but whenever there is a fight between two players it is pretty fabulous that we all get to watch.

• HSuke says:

City combat in AoW was always amazing.

Yeah, I’ve got to admit I was hugely disappointed with HoMM and King’s Bounty after playing the AoW series.

The combat in the other games seems so rigid and philistine in comparison.

2. lordcooper says:

I have a theory that Craig has never actually played a videogame.

3. Anthile says:

Seems like I’m not the only one who played Civ V recently.

• Okami says:

There aren’t that many similarities to Civ V, if you discount the Hexes (and Age of Wonders has always used hex based strategic maps). Of course there are some similarities to Civ games in general, but that’s to be expected from 4X game.

• Tendentieus says:

interesting detail there, is that a hex-grid is the largest flat, self repeating and interlocking grid you can come up with. Going from square to hex grid, yes. Going beyond that, nope.

Other then that looks fine.

• Nick says:

Its nothing like Civ V. Its much more like Age of Wonders.. which was in turn like Master of Magic, which was in turn like Civ 1 but with tactical combat and magic and fantasy.

• Reapy says:

Game looks awesome, finally a ‘master of magic successor’ that knows what the fuck they are doing, but i guess they already proved that with their whole AoW series.

Also they would be stupid not to borrow from civ V, it is a beautiful game and many features should be copied so long as they fit the theme.

Either way this game just looks so fun seems to be everything i liked about AoW and MoM, except updated with more modern concepts / tech. Perfect in my eyes.

• squareking says:

Actually, yeah — very close to V’s color scheme and art deco feel. Wonder why they chose that direction if it’s not placeholder…

Also the spinny wheel at 4:30 should really just have the internal glyph rotate, not the bezel. Looks kinda cheap as-is. edit: wahey maybe my eyes are bad or something…looks fine in combat. Overall though the artstyle is awfully generic and lacks the visual punch that Shadow Magic had. I dunno.

Also flame tank :3

• MellowKrogoth says:

Everybody knows that Civ V was the first game featuring hexes.

4. BTAxis says:

I’d better start saving up.

5. sonson says:

Looks like Age of Wonders but with more pretty.

Which would be fine by me, if they can work on the AI, as AOW was/is a brilliant game

6. rustybroomhandle says:

Thanks a lot Craig, if that’s even your real name. Now I have the Wombles theme stuck in my head.

7. Hydrogene says:

It seems original and interesting. But why : giant spiders? They should know approximately 67.8% of people hate giant spiders in games. And I’m one of them.

• Anthile says:

Giant spiders and explosive barrels are the two central pillars of the video games industry.

• Grey Poupon says:

The Wonders of the past were very moddable so it shouldn’t take long for a mod to rid the game of those pesky spiders. If the game just follows in its fathers’ footsteps as much as it seems to.

• JFS says:

I’m so glad that there aren’t any videogames with giant dentists around.

• luukdeman111 says:

Giant spiders really do make me hate some games… Have you played Legend of Grimrock? You’d hate it… The spiders in that game are among the most terrifying things in any videogame ever… And I’m not even that afraid of spiders!

• Strangerator says:

Hey, I’ve got kind of a weird thing with giant fish. But I never let that stop me from playing Half-Life (with those horrible daemon fish) or Shadow of the Colossus (which had one of the colossi as a huge fish). But I can see how spiders are quite a bit more prevalent.. just remember to kill them with fire!

• Shadowcat says:

Jon Peters loves giant spiders!

(it’s a 20 minute story, but entertaining to the very end)

8. Didden says:

Love the sarcasm from the narrator. Looking forward to this game. The only reason I don’t play the older one is the AI is a bit bonked (AI knows where you’re hidden cities are etc).

• MellowKrogoth says:

A challenging non-cheating strategy game AI pretty much doesn’t exist except for the most simplistic games.

9. Boosterh says:

Nice touch I saw, although the narrator didn’t mention it: I liked the way the landship cleared a path through the jungle as it travelled.

10. Orageon says:

Looking great. As a regular player of AoW 2, I just love that they didn’t try to fix what was not broken. The core mechanics that make AoW an excellent cross-over between Master of Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic !
    Altough I must say the GUI looks a bit… placeholder-ish. The frames of menus and buttons don’t seem to match at all with the game’s ambiance.

11. LionsPhil says:

This looks pretty nifty.

12. Saarlaender39 says:

And the best of all – it’s coming to GOG.com:

Quote:
    “Discover one of the all-time favorite fantastic strategy epics with Age of Wonders, Age of Wonders 2: The Wizard’s Throne, and the most recent title in the series Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, which offers virtually infinite playtime with its random map generator feature. If you like turn-based strategy games following the time-proven explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate scheme, but you haven’t had the chance to play these games, this is a good moment to start, as >>>Age of Wonders 3 is coming DRM-free to GOG.com!<<<"

13. Shadowcat says:

“Underground, Overground, Wondering III”

• elevown says:

Lol – you beat me to it :) Im sure that title was chosen to set up this pun.

14. kalirion says:

Looks good, but I hope the camera angle & elevation can be changed during combat.

15. SkittleDiddler says:

Cannot wait for AoW 3. After Fallen Enchantress (a boring, buggy mess) and the latest Eador (downloaded and not played yet, but all evidence points to a boring, buggy mess), I’m looking forward to finally getting another chance to play a proper 4X fantasy game.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Just play the original Eador, it’s wonderful and has that Heroes III graphics charm to it. I had to run several additional instances of the game side by side (with sound off, just sitting at the main menu) to get it to run well on an i7, but besides that the game plays fine.

• syndicatedragon says:

Alternatively, you can create a power profile that limits the max processor speed.

16. 2late2die says:

That looks absolutely glorious. Cannot wait for it to come out.