Far Too Many Men Of War: Assault Squad 2 Screenshots

By Craig Pearson on August 24th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Jim would approve of this post, I think. There are 22 screenshots of the recently announced return to Men Of War: Assault Squad 2 for all you tank lovers. 22! You’d need to be a polydactyl cat to count them all. Some were deployed post-announcement, while others have been rumbled out at Gamescom 2013, but all show war in sharp relief, showing off a fair variety weather conditions, and a mixture of urban and countryside battlegrounds for your tanks to mess up. More below.

Some dry facts before leaping into the visual treat I’ve laid out for you: “This new Assault Squad game brings significant game engine and visual improvements as well, with special attention paid to ones that were highly requested by the players. These included items such as advanced multi-core support, advanced shader technology, interface and AI improvements, as well as added camouflage depending on season/map, fully updated inventory items with new graphics and updated vehicles, sound improvements, Steam multiplayer and much more.” Much more? That would be the ridiculous sounding 8 vs 8 multiplayer fights.

Apparently they’re attempting to squeeze it in by the end of this year, with a Q4 2013 release date. As ever, strategically clicking these to make them bigger is advised.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Hanban says:

Tanks in Men of War is one of the most fun things ever! Really looking forward to getting into them again!

• Marsha124 says:

my neighbor’s mother makes $75 an hour on the laptop. She has been fired for nine months but last month her income was $14074 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this web site…>>> http://7.ly/YwP

2. ajf0 says:

Can’t hardly wait!

3. FrostySprite says:

Hooray! For Uncle Sam!

4. Navagon says:

You can certainly see those graphics improvements. MoW tanks are the best tanks. Let’s hope this game represents a return to form for MoW. It certainly looks like they’re really trying this time.

5. Arona Daal says:

Strange.
    Screenshots 12 and 21 look like Mow Final Russian Mission and Mow:AS USA Tutorial Mission.

Also ,what “AI Improvements” are we talking about here?
    IMHO since Faces of War the Engine has not changed that much, and i would like to know if the “indecisive Tank” Behaviour is gone.
    You know: when a Tank ,instead of picking a target and shooting, starts shaking his main gun.

Also: Will resupplying still be such an annoying Micromanagement?
    for Example:
    1.When a full Squad resupplies Ammunition is simply divided between all,if they have the right gun for it or not.
    2. No resupplying of Mortars inside their Sandbags.

• gladius2metal says:

yeah, the gun shaking… :(
      a simpler/better resupply mechanic would be great, I loved repairing and resupplying, but it was mostly clumsy and irritating…

6. Reapy says:

A long ways back I got a pack of the first 3 games on sale, but never got around to playing them at length. I did a few missions but didn’t really know what I was doing too much, sort of felt like it was slow and sim like with the inventory management but also seemed to move fast like a regular rts. Was that what the appeal was, and also which one is the game to play that best represents what made people like them, or was it the multiplayer that did it?

• Camal says:

I have nearly 1000 hours clocked in MOW:AS Multiplayer now. Forget about the Singleplayer, this game has the best competitive and challenging multiplayer that i ever played in my live.

• Svant says:

Which is why i really hate the Assault Squad games, no good singleplayer or coop play. I want a new game in the style of the first one, Soldiers: Heroes of WW2. The singleplayer/coop there was utterly brilliant with often just a few units that really let you get into the action and focusing on a few soldiers/tanks.

I mean one of the main selling points of the games are the direct control and micro management which really does not get enough room when you suddenly have 50 soldiers to control.

• Arona Daal says:

SP :MOW (The Basic Game) , maybe Faces of War.
      For now steer clear of Condemned Heroes,Vietnam etc., they are much harder and Imho less interesting.

MP : MOW:AS nice Multiplayer
      This one is no good alone.
      Skirmish as SP gets boring on normal (Maps are all very Similar,your Troops get Bonuses)
      and is “balanced” (Immense Inf and Supertank Spam) for Coop on Difficulty high and Heroic.

7. Oneah says:

It kinda looks like the same as the 1st one to me. Which is not a bad thing, it already looks pretty good, just hope they work with the optimization this time

8. El_MUERkO says:

Many of the Om’s that are followed by Nom’s!

9. Thurgret says:

I hope that Assault Squad 2 doesn’t just indicate graphical improvements for a multiplayer game; I thoroughly enjoyed the original Men of War campaign, and would certainly like to see a return to that style of single player game, even if it did have its ups and downs.

Having said that, it does look splendid. Certainly enough, in my mind, to put (the rather disappointing) CoH 2 to shame.

• Svant says:

Indeed, more singleplayer/coop campaigns instead of the simple multiplayer maps with bots that Assault Squad had :(

10. Iskariot says:

It looks beautiful, but very saturated. I don’t mind.

I love WW2 tanks and own a huge library on the topic.
    I do hope the game will feature somewhat realistic tank combat. Not the kind of gamey nonsense we got with World of Tanks or Company of Heroes. I don’t mind games like that once in a while, but they have very little to nothing to do with tank combat. The tank battles in Combat Mission are much more interesting.

11. Gap Gen says:

OK so now I want a game called The Angels of Charlie Company.

12. Engonge says:

I love this game but it has the worst multiplayer browser I have seen.

13. defunkt says:

Not really my cup of tea but I always do a double-(triple, quadruple)-take when I see any screenshots from this series. They look fantastic.

14. quercus says:

It does look really nice, but I personally can’t stand the stupid micro-management they insist upon. If they removed the need to fiddle around with unit inventories and ammunition it would be such a better and more accessible game.

15. Triglav says:

All I see is Tigers.
    In every WW2 game nothing but Tigers.
    1300 of them built vs. 9000 Panzer IV’s, yet all I ever see is Tigers.
    Meh.

16. 1q3er5 says:

wow this looks graphically way better than the “new” Company of Heroes 2…