The RPS Bargain Bucket: Well Delivered

By Lewie Procter on August 24th, 2013 at 12:51 pm.

Sorry for my absence last week, I was busy putting things in boxes and then taking them from London to Manchester. Didn’t Cara do an acceptable job of filling in? I’m back on the case today though, and I’ve been scrutinising the various discounts available for games this weekend. You can always find even more cheap games over at SavyGamer.co.uk. Here’s this week’s selection:

2 for £6 on select Ubisoft games.
There’s a pretty wide selection available here, so it’s a good chance to fill any gaps in your library. Rayman Origins & I Am Alive stand out to me as the ones that are best value, since I can’t remember seeing either of them for £3, and also Rayman Origins is properly lovely. Properly lovely. From Dust is certainly worth a look too, even if the port isn’t the best port it could have been, and I quite enjoyed Driver: San Francisco. Don’t bother with the Assassin’s Creed games, or the mediocre Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Subtitle.

Resident Evil 6 – £8/$16
Apply coupon “GMG20-KCDKK-H4TPB”. Registers on Steam.
I’m a massive Resident Evil fan, although the only one I actually like is Resident Evil 4, because it is The Definitive Modern Action Game. The series properly lost it’s way without Shinji Mikami at the helm, and bizarrely, instead of the craptacular Paul W. S. Anderson movie adaptations getting closer to the games, the games are gradually becoming more and more like the movies. The latest entry is a bloated mess, where they’ve made the mistake of thinking that actually really cares about the characters and the story, and they’ve continued to attempt to court the Gears of War audience for some baffling reason. It’s maybe worth giving it a shot, and this price is far better than paying more for it, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.

FTL – £3.20/€3.73/$4.99
Registers on Steam.
Superb little roguelike-like about trying to get from one side of the galaxy to the other side of the galaxy, in order to save the day. There’s a bit of a brutal learning curve here, and for quite a long time it feels like every time you fail, it’s down to some random bullshit that was outside of your control. But as you keep picking away at it, it’s various overlapping systems gradually start to reveal their secrets, and you can formulate decent strategies, and adapt your playstyle to handle whatever the game throws at you. I’ve sunk around 200 hours into it, and believe it or not, but I’ve once been *this* close to beating the final boss without taking a single hit. I managed to beat it’s first two forms unscathed, but took a couple of hits before I could finish it off. Do not play on easy.

Retrovirus, Signal Ops, Sol Survivor, Vox & Zack Zero – £3.63/€4.22/$5.65 at time of writing.
Price will fluctuate over time, as explained here.
Retrovirus, Sol Survivor & Zack Zero register on Steam.
Oh hey! I remember wanting to play Retrovirus a while back, and then forgot all about it. Here’s Wot John thought about it:

You are, in essence, a virus application. A desktop PC has been invaded by a malevolent worm, doing enormous damage to the system, corrupting vast amounts of the infrastructure, and spawning viral enemies throughout for you to clean. As I noted previously, the similarities with Monolith’s magnificent Tron 2.0 can’t be a coincidence, especially with XP added in the form of data acquisition, and the backstory being told by found emails. But by release, Retrovirus is very much its own game, a healthy distance from both obvious inspirations, the other obviously being Descent. It plays like neither, and that’s certainly one of its biggest strengths.

More here. I think I’ll pick this up, but I’ll have to pay for it with money because Indie Royale recently revoked my admin account from when I used to work for them :.(

Deal of the week
The Witcher – £1.60/€1.86/$2.49
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings – £3.20/€3.73/$4.99
That’s cheap! Here’s Mr Rossignol telling you what he thinks of The Witcher 2:

This beauty extends to all the inhabitants of the world. Even when they’re mongrel-ugly bastards, they’re believable and boldly drawn. The way they hang out in the world, or chat when you interrupt them, is just right. The Witcher 2′s characters are without exception strong, and beautifully imagined. Most of the voice acting is well-delivered, with only one or two lines executed inappropriately. It’s even funny at times. Yes, there are actually one or two jokes that made me, an oil-hearted laugh-miser, blurt out the happy noise. I couldn’t believe it.

More here.

Also of note:
NiGHTS into Dreams – £2.39. Apply coupon “GFDAUG20UK”. Registers on Steam.
Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition – £6.80. Apply coupon “GMG20-KCDKK-H4TPB”. Registers on Steam.
Humble Origin Bundle is still running. MIRROR’S EDGE.

Pop along to SavyGamer.co.uk for more lovely cheap games.

1. Risingson says:

And the groupees be mine 9.

Opinions on the games here?

• lordcooper says:

Eador is great. Can’t say I’ve even heard of any of the others.

• Delusibeta says:

From what I’ve heard, Ittle Dew is worth the five bucks on its own. Particulars also looks like it’s worth a dollar, although it’s also very much an alpha.

• Vurogj says:

Definite +1 for Depths of Peril. It looks like crap, but the game underneath is great.

• MarcP says:

So I bought the bundle for Ittle Dew… but now that I have Depths of Peril, might as well try it, as someone recommends it on RPS.

*ten minutes later*

Ow, those graphics look dated. Especially those animations. And the game throws so much rules and exposition at me right away. This is going to bore me quick, but I’ll keep going for a bit, for morbid entertainment if nothing else.

*five hours later*

Where did my evening go?!

Needless to say, thank you, Vurogj.

• Martel says:

Ya’ll just sold me on the $5 version of this bundle as well, can’t wait to try those out.

• dE says:

I thought that is a pretty good groupees to be honest.
      The whispered world is a good adventure with occasional illogical puzzles. However it’s by Daedalic Entertainment and those games seem to rarely do well outside of germany. In part due to translation but also because of cultural differences. Your mileage may vary greatly. (Most reviewers slammed it as generic and boring with a really bad storyline, while in germany it got nominated for many prizes and won best game of the year and best story).

Eador is pretty okay. I never got into it for long. I love games like King’s Bounty and Heroes of Might and Magic but Eador really broke my interest with its balancing. It’s a bloody hard game too, it has no qualms with dropping you into a dragons nest with a level 2 hero and two measly peasants.

Ittle Dew is supposed to be great, I don’t know, didn’t try it yet but only heard great things.

Ringrunner is a nice and ambitious space shooter game that occasionally loves its own story just a bit too much. It’s about one or two months old but got completely overlooked by almost everyone. I’d give it a try if you like shooting things in space and customizing your ships is something you do.

• Tacroy says:

Ittle Dew is great. It’s a Zelda-style puzzler; the combat is really nothing to write home about, it’s mostly just something to kill time while you run to the next blocks that need pushin’.

I thought it had just the right difficulty of puzzles, to where I could stop playing and come back and I’d figure out the answer.

One thing though: the boss in the (optional) Master Cave is a bullshit Deus Ex style “we forgot what game we were making” boss. All of the other ones are mostly puzzle bosses, this guy is a pure combat boss and he’s incredibly difficult even once you know his patterns. I’ll understand if you ragequit when you meet him.

• InternetBatman says:

I started and beat Ittle Dew last night. It’s a fun little mini-zelda game, not great, not terrible. The Master Cave (optional dungeon) does suck (the optional boss is annoying, though easy enough if you dodge his bombs when you get low and kill mobs for health; two of the puzzles in it rely on behavior that you see nowhere else in the game and straddle the feature/bug line).

Whispered World has beautiful graphics, I’m going to start playing it next week. I’ve heard nothing but unkind words about Ring Runner’s gameplay. Depths of Peril is a very reactive ARPG. A bunch of adventurers guilds are competing and it’s a race to complete quests, and monsters left alone grow stronger over time.

Minimotors is okay. Pretty grindy, and it makes the mistake a lot of racing games with upgrades make: the game is easier to play as your car gets better.

• mwoody says:

Just a reminder: Groupees does not donate to charity. They give 20% of your money to some random person on Indiegogo who claims to have brain cancer.

True charities have stringent requirements to insure that they are legitimate and that an acceptable percentage of your funds go towards the intended purpose. This is just someone willing to spend five minutes making a video, and has not been monitored by a third party or government organization. It’s absolutely inexcusable.

Even if the story on Indiegogo is true – and as near as I can tell, Groupees has done nothing to confirm that – you can do far more good donating to organizations working to actually fight cancer rather than just helping one unfortunate girl not have to go as deeply in to debt.

• Harlander says:

Holy moly that’s a lot of games for a fiver.

I’d been pretty interested in a lot of these, particularly Ring Runner.

• Harlander says:

Addendum: if you grab the $5 version, don’t bother trying to get it with the torrent. It’s gone into the “do 90% in reasonable time then slow down to 0.2kbps” of the bad old days of torrents, for some reason, and the remaining 10% is all the executables.

• kalirion says:

I find it funny that RPS has had some favorable writeups of a few of the games (particularly Eador and Ittle Dew) and yet the bundle is missing from this list and the savygamer site in favor of deals we’ve all seen before.

For those too lazy to click the link:

$1 minimum tier includes:
      -The Whispered World
      -Mini Motor Racing EVO
      -Splatter
      -Depths of Peril

$5 minimum tier includes:
      -Eador – Masters of a Broken World + Eador Genesis
      -Ittle Dew
      -Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages
      -Angelica Weaver: Catch me When You Can

Unlocked bonuses will be added to every purchase. Currently unlocked is Particulars by SeeThrough Studios.

If the Charity checkbox is checked, 20% of will go to Ariel Duell’s Brain Cancer Fund

• Frank says:

Thankya. Yeah, Eador’s great and I’d expected to wait a lot longer to find a good deal on Ittle Dew.

• Ekpyrotic Fan Fiction says:

Just grabbed it, thanks!

I was only really interested in Eador and Ring Runner, so here are the activation keys for the other games if anyone wants them:

Depths of Peril (Steam):

Angelica Weaver: Catch Me If You Can (Steam):
      7B2X9-MI75C-MKH60

Ittle Dew (Steam):
      8VPE3-Z5ETI-BF2MB

Enjoy!

• BobbyKotickIsTheAntichrist says:

Wow, thanks man. Took the Whispered World key, since it’s the only game of interest for me in this bundle and i luuv me some Daedalic adventures.

• BobbyKotickIsTheAntichrist says:

Oh, I just remembered having a surplus Steam code for Avadon: The Black Fortress from the HB: Spiderweb Weekly Bundle:

Avadon – The Black Fortress
          NZXTI-ZF7V9-AHQM4

• BubuIIC says:

Thanks, I took Particulars. :-)
        Seem to be all gone now.

• Jalan says:

You seem to have taken Splatter as well. One of the upsides to Desura over Steam is that when someone tries to redeem a code that’s already been redeemed, the dialog box informs the person attempting to claim it of the name (and profile link) of the user who already had claimed it.

• Marsha124 says:

my neighbor’s mother makes $75 an hour on the laptop. She has been fired for nine months but last month her income was $14074 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this web site…>>> http://7.ly/YwP

• fish99 says:

Bought, cheers.

2. Film11 says:

Can’t say I agree with ignoring Assassin’s Creed games. 2 is excellent and Brotherhood is also good. There’s also Anno 1404 Gold up in that deal if you like very pretty city builders as well.

• rb2610 says:

Yeah, I’m not understanding the hate there, if it was AC3 or AC:R then I could just about understand the disdain, but AC2 and AC:B are arguably the high point of the series, and fantastic games.

• Jimbo says:

Brotherhood and AC2 are the best two games in the series and in this deal.

Plenty of the others in there are well worth playing too though. Anno 1404 is fantastic, Hell’s Highway, Bound in Blood and Far Cry 2 are all good.

3. stringerdell says:

You’re not a ‘massive resident evil fan’ if you only like number 4.

• TheApologist says:

Yep. I know it’s the done thing to say Resi was always bad, but having replayed all the numbered sequels fairly recently 0, 1 Remake and 2 all hold up really well to my mind. 4 *is* really great, but just so different and we should acknowledge that it led the series up a path towards the generic and bland 5 & 6.

• DrGonzo says:

Code veronica is the best in the series. Originally intended to be the numbered sequel, but a deal with Sony made the pretty poor 3 take the numbered sequel role.

• Diziet Sma says:

^^ This, Code Veronica and Resi 2 for me are the high points. Though my opinion here probably counts for little as I also enjoy the films for all their err… foibles.

• TheApologist says:

I played through CV and enjoyed it, but it sprawled a bit too much for me, and the ending in particular was drawn out and lacked the momentum of 1 and 2 in particular. The military base at the beginning and the mansion parts were great though, and the kid with the daddy issues was hilarious in good Resi style.

Also, I am the only person that likes 0. I know this and accept I am wrong :)

• Lemming says:

I liked 4 and the remake of 1 for the Gamecube and none of the others. I take it I’m scum.

• boyspud says:

The remake of 1 was great, especially considering how bad voice acting was in the first. Wasn’t crazy about 0, but 2 and Code Veronica are still pretty good too. 3 was alright, but it was the Nemesis mechanic that really held it up.
        From 4 on its essentially a different series (Leon could have been replaced with John Rambo in 4 and it would have felt the same). While 4 was great, I couldnt even bring myself to finish the demo of 5, let alone 6. But hey, they can’t be worse than the good old Gameboy release Resident Evil Gaiden! A game in which the most effective way of killing tyrants was with the knife!

• mrwout says:

Same here! Granted, they are the only Resident Evil games i’ve ever played…

RE4 (wii edition) is probably my most favourite game of all time. I played it through three times in a row, non-stop. Which is practically unheard of for me (the only other games I’ve finished more than once are NOLF1 and Half Life 1/2 and that was years apart.

• Colonel J says:

How is the PC version of RE4? I keep hearing it’s the best of the series and I’m half inclined to seek out a CD copy (it doesn’t seem to exist in download) but a brief scan of interweb muttering leads me to believe the PC port is terribad.

• Nick says:

needs mods, but is fine with them.

• Saarlaender39 says:

If you own a Wii, get that version – it was (and still is) considered as the best version of RE4.
          PC version was a letdown compared with the Wii version.

• Yosharian says:

I think you mean Gamecube

• Saarlaender39 says:

Well, since I own only the Wii version (not the GC version) and the Wii version was highly appraised (not the GC version), I think I know what I mean. ;)

• DrScuttles says:

The Wii version is exactly the same as the Gamecube version only with the passable PS2 extra content and optional Wii Remote controls. The GC version is still fantastic, but can’t be considered the best.

• Saarlaender39 says:

Here’s an excerpt of an IGN-review, I just googled:

“If you played the GameCube original, consider the Wii game the ultimate collector’s edition – frankly, that’s what it is; the culmination of the best from its predecessors with some added Wii improvements. And if you have never played RE4 before, consider the Wii release an absolute must-own experience.”

I’m from Germany, so usually I read german Game-Mags, but they all said practically the same as this IGN-review – and they all agreed, that the PC version sucked (at least the vanilla).

• Nick says:

I don’t understand how you can like 1 in any form and not like 2, which is a better game in every way.

• The Random One says:

I am a massive Resident Evil 4 fan. It must be awful for RE fans to have played it and realized it was a game from a completely different series, but it’s a series I liked a lot more.

4. AndrewC says:

It is important to note that the 4th and 5th Resident Evil movies are craptacularly AWESOME! :)

5. Deano2099 says:

Finish up Gone Home and Hate Plus, then it was going to be Saints Row 4 but it seems you can’t buy it for less than £32 in the UK.

So it’ll be 100%-ing Nier on PS3, maybe finally starting Dishonored or Shadowrun Returns too.

6. Eight Rooks says:

A counterpoint: buy Resident Evil 6 at that price. Buy it. It’s one of the most purely entertaining games I’ve played this year. Yes, it’s a bloated, nonsensical mess, there’s no denying that, and Capcom are in desperate need of an editor (there are moments of Aliens: The Director’s Cut tedium) but it runs beautifully maxed out on my old PC, it’s packed full of “Holy cow!” moments and it’s frequently great fun to play – not particularly tough on normal difficulty but I had more than enough fun completing all four campaigns I want to go back and try it on hard. On top of that, while I’d hardly say I cared about the story, much of the voice acting (save the Big Bad) is actually startlingly good. Unless you’re one of the diehards who thinks tank controls and ridiculously scarce resources were worth preserving (here’s a hint: you’re wrong), if you have any room in your heart for quality big-dumb-fun action gaming, for that little money this should be an instant purchase.

Seriously, I could rip holes clean through Resi 6, but I could also quite easily praise it to the skies. It’s by no means a great game, overall, but a lot of it is, and it still rates as one of the most unexpected surprises I’ve had from AAA gaming in a long time. And I’ve played and beat Code Veronica and 4, plus most of 2 and a good chunk of 5, so I’m not completely ignorant of how the series was “supposed” to go. You can keep your clumsy, artifical tension, thanks, I’ll be over here with the game that doesn’t feel as if someone’s strapped stabilizer wheels to my ankles.

• Nick says:

Its one of the least entertaining games I have ever played. I wouldn’t reccomend it at any price.

• DrScuttles says:

Aliens: Director’s Cut tedium? Controversial. But entirely correct.

• fish99 says:

There’s a few bad bits, but overall I prefer the directors cut. The turrets bit is cool.

• DrScuttles says:

My main problem with the sentry scene is that it kills the tension. As well as most of the aliens. But it’s possibly the most necessary of all the added bits.
          At least the new releases contain both versions; the theatrical cut was damn impossible to get on DVD for years.

• fish99 says:

I don’t really agree. If there’s a bad thing about the sentry scenes it’s that it makes the aliens looks stupid, whereas the one in Alien seems to be cunning and stealthy, but I don’t think the viewer is actually considering the number of aliens being killed in that scene to be significant to the tension, and indeed there’s plenty of them remaining afterwards. The sentry scene itself *is* tense though, and has some memorable lines in it. “Next time they just walk up and knock”, “Yeah, but they don’t know that”.

Also the directors cut does explain why Ripley becomes so attached to Newt, because she’s lost her own daughter.

It’s not a great film anyway, unlike Alien.

7. Yosharian says:

“Do not play on easy.”

Or alternatively play the game whatever way you like, instead of how someone else tells you to play it.

• JFS says:

Roguelike (and -like) games are meant to be challenging. FTL on easy is like alcohol-free beer.

• Chris D says:

It’s a game where early success or failure will feed back to make the rest of the game easier or harder respectively. (Taking damage means you have to spend scrap to repair it, which means you can’t afford that shield upgrade, which means you take more damage,which means…..)

Playing on easy until you’ve learned the ropes is probably a better plan than smashing your face repeatedly against a massive difficulty wall out of sheer bloody-mindedness. Unless you enjoy that sort of thing, of course.

• mwoody says:

Ordinarily I’d agree wholeheartedly, and I’d certainly never recommend playing a Roguelike without permadeath. But FTL on normal felt unfair and very rapidly got boring; I love the game to pieces, but there’s just not enough variation or opportunity for strategy in the early game for its harder difficulty setting to be enjoyable. It felt like closing your eyes and playing five finger fillet.

Unfortunately, easy makes the ENDgame too easy. So you’re kind of screwed either way. Note, though, that my observations are from launch, so maybe they’ve corrected that.

• Yosharian says:

Which nobody ever buys oh wait

Bottom line: elitist roguelike players who force their style of play on others are just ignorant.

• malkav11 says:

I think I see the problem. FTL calls the difficulty mode “easy”, but in actual descriptive language it would be about a “hard” or “ultra-hard”, whereas the difficulty they call “normal” would be “masochism”.

• Yosharian says:

Yeah exactly

B-b-b-but some elitist told me I have to play on the more difficult mode, or I’m not as cool as him!

• Deadly Sinner says:

No, easy is exactly what it is named. I’m no great roguelike player, and even I got to the final boss the first time I ever played on easy (though I didn’t beat it because I wasn’t sure exactly what to do.) It’s even easier once you get the engi ship.

Though I would say that easy should be played the first time to get a good idea about how it’s played.

• Harlander says:

Consider that your experience may be anomalous.

• malkav11 says:

What you are saying is not that easy is actually easy – because believe me, it’s not – but rather that you are some sort of FTL savant. (Or perhaps even gaming savant.) Which is nice for you but not helpful for the rest of us.

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

For my 2 cents I’ll simply point out that Nidokoenig’s comment below is an excellent analysis of difficulty and learning in FTL (and better than what I could write so I will not try).

• The Random One says:

There are some games that are meant to be played in a certain way, but the devs or publishers want to increase their potential user base so add options that are meant to appeal to them, but without thought as to how those will appeal to them. The result are games that are meant to be challenging having drab easy modes (since you’re meant to be engaged by the gameplay and you’re not) and games that are meant to be fun having impossible hard modes (since poor combat that’s passable in the intended difficulty becomes a greater hindrance and the combat take a greater toil on the player than it should, leaving them too tired to enjoy exploration, story or whatever the else should be the game’s focus).

• Nidokoenig says:

The main issue with Easy mode is that FTL is a game about managing opportunity cost and avoiding your ship running down to the point where you die, it’s about economy, budgeting and risk management. On Normal, a bad decision will cause you to spiral down pretty quickly, quickly enough to give you a chance to isolate your mistake and learn from it. On Easy the gentle slope of the death spiral means you could have travelled a couple of sectors before a bad decision becomes a serious problem, and by then it’d be hard to pick it out from the noise of every other decision you made since then. It’s not like you’re being instantly killed by a boss and Easy mode would let you take three hits, actually see what it’s doing and work out a plan, you’re being killed by every bad decision you ever made and a more zoomed in perspective aids learning.

Of course, the reason this is such a divisive issue is that different people have different tolerances for getting killed, the two mindsets of “This game’s easy, I died once or twice a level” and “This game’s hard, I died on every level”, and the answer is to know which you are and base your decisions on that. If you’re not comfortable with how Normal treats you, play on Easy, just be aware that it’ll probably slow your learning by obscuring how you reached a fail state. Oh and absolutely use Easy runs to unlock the ships. I say this as someone who unlocked the Crystal ship after 100 hours, all on Normal, and I’m not going to recommend that as rational behaviour, no matter how good it felt.

• Lewie Procter says:

Yes, this is very close to my opinion.

• Yosharian says:

I don’t mind ‘you should play on normal’ or even ‘easy is too easy, you should play on normal’ or even ‘easy is for nubs trololol’, it’s ‘do not play on easy’ like it’s some sort of cardinal sin against the Gaming Gods to play it on easy. I’m a pretty hardcore gamer, I play most of my games on the hardest difficulty level, and I chose to play FTL on easy because I’m not a big fan of permadeath type games. I got a lot of fun out of FTL, and felt like my money spent was well-invested. Who are you to say ‘do not play on easy’. I’ll play on whatever difficulty setting I please, in order to get enjoyment out of the game. If that doesn’t fit in with what you think a permadeath game should be like, well that’s nothing to do with me. I got most of my enjoyment from FTL with fiddling around with ship setups, and listening to the awesome music, not dying instantly to RNG bullshit.

Not to mention that the normal difficulty curve you describe is, by your own admission, best experienced in a huge time-investment situation, something which a lot of people aren’t prepared to spend on a little roguelike title like FTL. So there’s a time investment aspect as well as a skill aspect.

And I’m the first person to vomit slightly in the side of my mouth when someone suggests something like a ‘skip combat’ button in RPGs, but for gods sake this is an argument over a difficulty setting.

8. whoCares says:

Does anybody have an idea, how to buy MK-Komplete from Germany or is anyone willing to trade it against another game with a similiar price?

9. webwielder says:

Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands is way more fun than the 2008 reboot. If you like fun parkour platforming action, buy it. The Wii version is quite fun, too, offering a degree of freedom and creativity in how you traverse your environments that you don’t see much any more, fitting given that it’s essentially a GameCube era game. It also captures the lighthearted tone of Sands of Time, which automatically makes it worth checking out.

• Lewie Procter says:

I did like it more than the 2008 reboot, but it’s still not anywhere close to as good as Sands of Time, or any of the three games from that trilogy.

• fco says:

I too don’t get the Forgotten Sands hate. Personally I had a blast with its running and jumping and freezing and wall-jumping…
        Sure, it was just more of the same Sands of Time formula, but that sill leaves as one of the best platformers I’ve played.
        Meanwhile, I’ve had a hard time getting into Warrior Within, which I played after Forgotten Sands.

• DrGonzo says:

Don’t feel bad, warrior within was crap, the next one was better though still not as good as the first. Sands of time is one of my favourite games of all time, but I’ve never really liked any others in the series.

• trjp says:

SoT is the best – the 2 after that were ‘ummm OK I guess’

2008 ‘scarf’ edition I enjoyed but FS just felt to formulaic, linear and predictable and I lost interest about about 2 hours.

10. Discosauce says:

On the topic of FTL, I’ve always recommended to friends that they should only play on easy until they can beat the game. I’ve found that the so-called “easy” is difficult enough that jumping straight into normal can be enough to turn many people off of what is a really great game.

• InternetBatman says:

Absolutely. I’ve played it many times on both, and find that normal does not substantively change the gameplay, just makes it harder. Once you know about the tons of scrap boarding parties bring in, how valuable reinforcing doors is, how it’s normally a better idea to not race to the finish, get better at managing power. and have a better ship, then normal is fine. Before that, it’s just a set of unfun random deaths.

• Ragnar says:

That may be why I bounced right off FTL when I tried it before. Unfun random deaths just about summed up my experience.

• LionsPhil says:

Even then, I’ve found “easy with suboptimal strategies” (e.g. no boarding, playing to a theme that means I turn down good opportunities or loot, etc.) to be a more fun way to up the difficulty than “normal”.

• Baines says:

For me, “easy” and “normal” were fairly similar. Yes, “easy” is kinder, and you get further with less effort.

The issue I had with FTL’s difficulty level is that the end boss is a difficulty spike and game changer on any difficulty level. Ships that can get through the bulk of the game with little difficulty hit a brick wall again the end boss. That to me was more frustrating than any issue with the difficulty levels themselves, that regardless of what difficulty you pick, you reach the end and the game effectively slaps you and says “Sorry, but that ship that you’ve been cruising with, crushing enemies left and right, just isn’t the right design to win the game with. This fight will be impossible for you, but you can spend the next five minutes failing to win if you want to. Next time try a completely different design.”

That was the experience I had the first time I reached the boss. I got there with a ship that had no trouble in the previous sectors. It won fights readily. Then I reached the boss, and it was simply an impossible battle. I had no way to damage the boss faster than it could repair its shields and damage. That isn’t quite true. I could get very slightly ahead on attack at times, but then an extra shot would soon miss and it would recover. My weapon composition and general ship build (crew, power, etc) just happened to be completely wrong for the boss design.

It felt a lot like the awful way that fighting game bosses are now designed.

11. GunnerMcCaffrey says:

They truly are.

12. InternetBatman says:

Indieroyal bundle now includes Chains.

• Baines says:

Chains is a decent time waster for a few minutes, but it also gets frustrating for the wrong reasons. Level design is unbalanced, and the game can be random to the point of annoyance. Particularly when that randomness causes you to lose.

• trjp says:

It also has some weird issues with multi-core processors (it predates those by quite some way) which results in some bits being MUCH harder then they should be.

There was one level I could not beat on my desktop – whacked it onto my old/spare laptop and it was so much easier (this is a few years ago – it may have been patched of course)

• InternetBatman says:

This is absolutely right. It also freaks out when you set affinity on the main screen. I found that a good workaround is setting affinity inside the level. It slows down a lot of the in-game clocks and makes many of the later levels possible.

13. sith1144 says:

wargame airland battle is on sale on steam as well

14. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

So about Age of Wonders, which is on sale at GOG: is it worth nabbing? I’ve never played any of them but they look intriguing. I’m also mostly interested in single player and story. Any tips?

• Donkeyfumbler says:

You’ll want Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic – best in the series it’s generally agreed. If you can see past the aging graphics then it’s a fantastic game – probably the best turn based strategy game ever imo, because it combines a great strategic layer with the best turn-based battle system.

Others have tried to beat it (Fallen Enchantress, Warlock etc) but none have come close. I’m super excited for Age Of Wonders 3 next year.

• porcelain_gods says:

Was going to ask the same question, always been interested in that type of game but never took the plunge.

Think I’ll give Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic a whirl tonight once the football is finished

Link to GOG weekend deal

• kalirion says:

Yes, Shadow Magic is the closest I’ve seen a game come to being a worthy successor of Master of Magic’s legacy. The only issue is the AI never builds settlers an thus does not create any new cities if you go for randomly generated scenarios. AFAIK the fan community has not been able to fix that issue, short of making the AI start with settlers in the scenarios.

15. Aerothorn says:

Was the From Dust port ever patched/fixed?

• TechnicalBen says:

I have absolutely no idea. But if I could wager money on it… and had 3 guesses, they’d all be “No!”. ;)

16. h4plo says:

The Secret World is half off the box price right now at the Funcom website (http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy), making it $15 and no subscription.

• cocoleche says:

I grabbed it for a similar price a while ago, totally worth it. The first three zones are top-notch adventure-rpgs, writing is excellent and the atmosphere hits the spot. Just don’t think of it as an MMO. However, I’m in Egypt now and it slowed down a bit. But the New England starter-zones are really excellent.

• The Random One says:

I tried to not think of it as an MMO, but its insufferable combat did its best to remind me.

17. subcetate85 says:

got Kingdoms of Amalur for 3.00 € on Origin.

Also great deals on the Bioware games there as well as Alice: Madness Returns.

18. Choca says:

Are the Ubisoft games from the Get Loaded Sale steam keys by any chance ?

• fish99 says:

No. If you mouse over them it shows the DRM, but they’re mostly either UPlay or downloads from GetGames.

19. makute says:

I beg you RPS: go nab King of Dragon Pass at GOG. It has the best awesomeness/price ratio of the lot.

• elderman says:

Thanks for that recommendation. That’s a really cool looking game that I would never have noticed otherwise.

• makute says:

eSharp (the developer) released an updated version for the iThings a while ago, and has stated that they have no plans on updating the PC version. Still, in my book, KoDP is one of the best PC games of all time.

20. fish99 says:

Still waiting for a good pre-order on Rome 2.