Me, Myself And The Dark Eye: Memoria

By Adam Smith on August 27th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

I spent some time with the pointy, clicky people of Daedalic at Gamescom, watching walkthroughs of the next Deponia and the intriguing turn-based RPG Blackguards. Memoria wasn’t on display and I hadn’t realised, until I watched the launch trailer handily concealed below, that it’s set in The Dark Eye universe, which is where the Blackguards live. I’ll have more to say about the crime-infested RPG in the near future, but now is the time for extremely earnest fantasy adventures. Sample line – “And next, we’ll make you a fairy again”.

Hmm. The screenshots are like postcards from places I’d quite like to visit but somewhere between the princess and the shadows from the past, my attention fell down the Chasm of Generic Gubbins. Perhaps the website will reveal some morsel of interest:

Memoria tells the tale of princess Sadja of the faraway-land of Fasar, who once ventured into war to fight demons in the Gorian Desert. Her goal – to become the greatest hero of all time – was foiled under mysterious circumstances.

That’s certainly a lofty goal. How does somebody discover that aspiration? Part way through the morning’s first cup of tea, a thought arises deep in the mind – “I should probably become the greatest hero of all time. Yes. Tomorrow.”

I still need to play The Night of the Rabbit. That’s probably the one for me.

, , , .

Top comments

Anthile says:

If Batman has taught us one thing it’s that the main obstacle to becoming the greatest hero of all time is money. I tried it once and it’s really kinda expensive. Luckily I got a refund. I suppose that poor woman simply ran out of funds.

Yachmenev says:

I really don’t want to be that guy, but yikes, that was a lame trailer. It sounded like a fantasy parody trailer from an episode of The Simpsons. They can do pretty graphics, and I welcome any attempt at turnbased RPG’s, but that trailer really didn’t sell the game. The names, the narrator, the story….awkward.

• Sheng-ji says:

Its so rare these days for trailers to show honest gameplay and introduce mechanics – you know, the exciting things about a game – all they want to do is a hollywood movie promotion and I’m so bored of them that I barely watch them anymore. They have about as much to do with the game as a pickled egg and honestly put me off more games than make me excited for!

• Demiath says:

Too late, you are “that guy”.

• platformagnostic says:

This is the trailer for the point and click adventure and not for the turn-based rpg.

• Sarkhan Lol says:

If it vindicates you at all, the game this is a sequel to was boring as shit and I’m not seeing any reason to suspect this one of being different.

• mouton says:

When was the time when trailers, be it film or game, were representative at all? During Weimar Republic, perhaps?

• Phoibos Delphi says:

I agree on the horrific names for places and characters, but you have to take into account that they come from an 80s german pen & paper D & D clone, so to our ears they sound bland and generic, just like most fantasy stuff from the 80s.

2. Mr. Mister says:

We’re a bitcatcher in our way to save the world? Awesome.

Anthile says:

• gunny1993 says:

You just have to pick your adventures, only being heroic when it is financially viable.

I play D&D with a score of accountants and risk assessment reviewers… It’s not fun.

lowprices says:

She should try Kickstarter.

4. Prime-Mover says:

I liked that metal grinding sound when she removed her wooden stick from her back.

• rei says:

This is pretty good:

Don Reba says:

The animation makes it appear that her cane is clipped behind her back, not fully sheathed. And it might have been attached by one of those metal rings it has on it. So, both the action of drawing from the back and the metal sound it makes could be realistic.

5. frightlever says:

I thought “The Night of the Rabbit” was another Harvey game. Alas, no.

Worth noting, perhaps, that “The Whispered World” is part of the latest Groupees “Be Mine” bundle as part of the $1 dollar tier. So a steal, even for a flawed game, if you’re an adventure fan.

(Oh and I’m also liking Eador and Ittle Dew from the $5 tier. Ittle Dew is like an early Zelda game)

6. Freud says:

The trailer would work better if the narration was in German.

7. randdy says:

my classmate’s sister-in-law makes $83 hourly on the internet. She has been out of a job for eight months but last month her check was $14577 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this site http://www.jazz77.com

8. verbaloid says:

I really hate turn-based games with bloated graphics. Nothing in game frustrates you more than having to wait for all these glitzy sprites to make their slow-mo maneuvers. Eugh..