Some News About Avadon 2: The Corruption

By Jim Rossignol on August 27th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Spiderweb has now been making turn-based RPGs for a long time. Twenty years. We spoke to Mr Vogel about that quite recently, and he’s not looking to break his pattern: Avadon 2: The Corruption is landing some time before the end of the year. Spiderweb explains: “As a Hand of Avadon, the Black Fortress, you once held unlimited power. Your word was law. Your homeland was united and prospered under the protection of the Black Fortress. Now that fragile alliance has collapsed. Rebellion rages, outside enemies gather, and Avadon lies in ruins. Will you fight to restore your power and bring peace to your realm, or will you join the rebels and forge a new nation? The decision will be yours in Avadon 2: The Corruption.”

Trailer below.

, .

1. aliksy says:

I really wanted to enjoy avadon, but the combat system did not click at all. Mostly the way mana/resource management was handled. Oh well.

• BTAxis says:

I know what you mean. Automatic and complete healing after each fight also didn’t help.

• Demiath says:

Having to spam potions or resort to unreliable resting options was never the most compelling way for old school RPGs to create “challenge”. I say autoheal + more tactically challenging enemy encounters is the way to go! As for Avadon specifically, though, I have heard that there are a lot of the usual Vogel Adolescent Power Fantasy (TM) mobs in that game…

• aliksy says:

Yeah, I’m not a fan of chugging potions or ‘rest and maybe get another encounter’ models, either. But I’d like a system that encourages you to use your cool powers, and Avadon’s mechanics pretty strongly discourage their use.

• DavidCasteel says:

my buddy’s sister makes $79/hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for 7 months but last month her pay was $20009 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Here’s the site to read more… http://www.Day37.com

• PegasusOrgans says:

Meh, it is still pretty fun. Every game has its faults.

• devonsoft says:

This is actually one of my more favorite combat systems, the bosses especially were interesting. Best RPG I’ve played on iPad by far. The mob battles with dumb enemies were the only downside. I liked autohealing and the mana drain meant I had to plan and use my spells wisely.

Anthile says:

Hmm, apparently it won’t have any savegame import. Seems a bit like a wasted opportunity.

RedViv says:

Considering one or another decision, this could make the entire plot pointless. So it’s expected.

• InternetBatman says:

Have any Spiderweb games had save imports?

• BTAxis says:

No, rather they pick one particular outcome of the previous game as canonical and take it from there.

• mouton says:

Yes, because it meant SO much in Mass Effect.

3. AngusPrune says:

Every time I see that picture of the black guy with the bowl cut, I can’t help but think “Duane Dibbley?”

4. Nick says:

Really looking forward to Avernum 2 (and 3) remakes a lot more!

• Grape Flavor says:

Personally, I never really gelled with Avernum, but I’m a big fan of the Geneforge games and it would be awesome if he gave those the remake treatment.

Hell, not even a remake. Keep the exact same graphics if you must, just give us proper resolution support with a proper windowed interface. The way the older Spiderweb games are locked to 800×600 resolution with only a part of that being dedicated to the actual game world is ridiculous. Even the old 90′s classics which predate those games – Baldur’s Gate, Planescape, Fallout – can be modded to run at decent resolutions.

I know I can only speak for myself but I’d buy the games all over again even if that was the only change.

5. GamesInquirer says:

Yep, saw this yesterday (ok, today in the early AM). I was glad to see it keeps the same movement as Avadon since I didn’t like the change for Avernum: Escape from the Pit. I should go back and finish the firs one, I don’t know why I stopped playing since it was quite enjoyable and I should be near the end of it, although it was a little on the lightweight side, kind of like Spiderweb’s own Icewind Dale compared to their previous Baldurs Gates, though possibly a bit less combat heavy than that.

6. Eddy9000 says:

I’ve been playing RPG’s for the last 20 years and I’m ashamed of myself to say that I just can’t get past the graphics on these after being spoiled by so much lovely immersion creating art design from other games. I don’t know anything about game design, is it difficult to use (for example) the NWN2 engine as a graphics framework?

• mouton says:

As a general rule, old graphics stop being a problem after a couple hours at most. And we are talking about excellent games, each taking dozens of hours.

7. lordbain says:

I’ve been playing RPG’s since the first Wizardry came out on the Apple… I agree though I can’t get into these either the graphics just kill it for me. As well as not being able to role up my own characters. Don’t know why he can’t use an engine like NWN2. Would be cool

• Winterborn says:

Honestly an engine like NWN1 would be enough for me.

I’ll keep buying them though – one day I might be trapped without net access in an Arctic research station or something then all these Spiderweb games will save my sanity.

8. misterT0AST says:

I have a different issue with these games. The world barely cares about your choices (unless i didn’t get far enough into the game), and you spend way too much time managing your inventory, picking things up, giving them to the right member of the party, deciding what to throw away and what to sell, searching the room for junk.
    It actually shares a lot of problems with the Elder Scrolls games.
    Also stats are a bit more complex than they should be.

• GamesInquirer says:

Most of the junk in these games has 0 value so you have absolutely no reason to pick it up, not even as OCD, even though you can. You quickly learn to only bother with actual equipment you quickly glimpse the stats of or things that would be valuable.

The story in Avadon was linear, more than other Spiderweb games, but your choices did affect certain things like party disposition and if some areas/characters would be friendly. I don’t see how stats are complex, though they’re a little imbalanced.

• malkav11 says:

The series you want if you want choices and consequences (at least, as far down that road as Vogel goes) is Geneforge.

• mouton says:

Actually, Avadon had a “junk bag” which you easily dropped sellables into. One of the best inventions in RPGs I have seen in years.

Mr Coot says:

I enjoyed Avadon and think it is their most polished iteration to date, but it’s the world of Avernum that really captures my imagination. I would dearly love to see remakes of the remakes for Avernum 2 onwards. Avadon: The Black Fortress and Avernum: Escape from the Pit are as retro as I’m prepared to go with graphics and interface and I also have been playing since Exile 1-3.

Their writing is engaging and compelling and immersive, but there were times in Avadon that I felt a bit railroaded. He likes to give real choice, and your choices do have a macro effect on the outcome, but I would enjoy a more persistent ‘micro’ effect in the way individual NPCs interact with you based on your dialogue choices.

(I notice Redbeard in the clip – I guess we know which outcome was canonical now ;) )

10. bluebomberman says:

The first Avadon demo put me to sleep. It made me wonder: have I reached a point where these old-school RPGs just don’t do it for me? Or is Avadon especially torpid and uninteresting?

• gunny1993 says:

IIRC the opening to Avadon 1 was widely considered to be pretty bad

(I believe he [the maker] talked about it in an interview he did with RPS a month or so ago)

11. orient says:

I realise that graphics aren’t the focus here, but they would help. Especially since we’ve started to get indie cRPGs that don’t look worse than the original Fallout.

12. Chillz says:

So many negative comments. I’m going through the original Avadon atm and I honestly have nothing but good experiences from it up till now(~20 hours in) It’s challenging and has a good story behind it, combat is solid.

13. tsff22 says:

I can’t really explain it, but Avadon just never really “clicked” with me the same way Avernum: Escape from the Pit did. Its still a fairly decent RPG, but Escape from the Pit was FAR better IMO.