Strike Vector Is Clear For 2014 Take Off

By Jim Rossignol on August 27th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

I didn’t get a chance to see Strike Vector at the phenomenally busy Gamescom event in Cologne last week, but I rather wish I had, because it looks simply splendid. The fly-and-explode game has some of the finest concept art I’ve seen, and that’s been transmuted into an extraordinarily pretty sci-fi flight combat game, as you can see in the trailer below. We can only hope the play is as tight as the look.

The game is inbound for some time in early 2014. Can’t wait.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Serpok says:

Where are fluffy dice gone too?

2. pauleyc says:

Looks really pretty, sadly the shaky cockpit effect ruins the gameplay for me. I’m quite certain the game would still be fast and engaging without this nausea/headache-inducing edginess.

• Zorn says:

I find this effect quiet intriguing for myself. For some reason I think of games of yore like Destruction Derby, although that has nothing to do with anything. Or maybe it has. Either way, maybe there will be an option that lets you activate/deactivate ‘shaky cockpit’. Hmm, that should be an option in more games. Or even for operating systems. Shaky Desktop. The possibilities. The annoyances. The complete new reason why co-workers will want to kill you…

• Gap Gen says:

It does indeed look:
      a) Very pretty
      b) Like someone is landing a light aircraft in a hurricane.

• Martel says:

I got sick just watching the trailer

• Apocalypse says:

This.

• B0GiE-uk- says:

Agreed, The Last Tomb Raider was also awful on shaky cam, I had to stop playing it as it was giving me a headache. I hope there is an option to disable it.

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

I wonder if it’s genetic. The shaky cam doesn’t affect me at all. Seems like a toggleable option would be a good idea.

3. larchy says:

From the video it looks like the ship can change direction on a whim, with no momentum or any attempt at proper spacey mechanics. Looks more like a flashy arcade shoot em up, which is fine, just a bit disappointing given the dearth of space combat games these days.

• Pliqu3011 says:

I think they did that on purpose. “Realistic” space physics would make maneuvering through those giant metal structures incredibly difficult.

• Phasma Felis says:

It’s not in space, though. Looks like some weird atmospheric hoverstation, rather. There’s blue sky and clouds, and the second half has them dogfighting through and over airborne shantytowns.

God, yet another game that has me going “This would be so amazing if it was single-player.” :(

• Svant says:

Indeed, I am getting real tired of all these arena shooters. They create really impressive universes (or use existing ones*) with backstory etc and just flush it down the toilet because it does not mean shit when the game is just an arena shooter. Who cares about backstory and why you fight when it is all arranged 5v5 combat all the time?

This really looks like it could have been really fun in single-player and the world looked really interesting.

*Yes that means you MW:O…. Make a singleplayer Mechwarrior Game please :(

• frightlever says:

If it’s not in space shouldn’t it be contending with gravity then?

I’m as big a fan of inertial dampers as the next guy, but that third person view of the manoeuvring just looked weird.

• AdrianWerner says:

Yeah, but making it singleplayer would propably require increase of budget by 300%

• morbiD says:

There was a question about 1P/PvE content posted on the Steam Community. A developer responded:

“There will surely be some solo modes. We are currently having design discussions about those.”

• Runciter says:

I agree. No single-player, no sale.

4. Amun says:

Too much shaky-cam.

• Zorn says:

Shake it baby, you wanna dance?

*I’m really sorry, I think somebody put something in my coffee this morning.

5. Pliqu3011 says:

For more of that wonderful concept art, check out the artists’ galleries here:

Especially paooo has some great stuff.

6. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Looks like this will be to Star Citizen what Hawken is to Mechwarrior Online. More arcadey and fast, less simulationey. It sure does look nice though.

Also, those kill messages. :D

• Ross Angus says:

Yes, I think it’s a little early to be digging buttholes. Perhaps after lunch.

• Gap Gen says:

Get back to work, Angus! Those butts won’t dig themselves, you know. If I don’t find you shovelling posterior by the time I get back I’m docking your wages.

• deadly.by.design says:

Hawken with wings. Weeeeeee!

7. Phasma Felis says:

Someone really needs to tell the devs that “X wiped Y’s ass” does not mean what they think it does.

8. YTDamnit says:

Check out Star Conflict for purdy space combat. Yes it’s World of Tanks in space but it’s really well done and addictively fun, IMO.

9. Iskariot says:

The level design is spectacular.
    I would have bought the game just for that.
    But it does not feature single player. And I never buy games that lack a meaty single player campaign.

10. SuicideKing says:

Please be better than strike suit.

11. PedroBraz says:

Seriously needs to get the stabilizers on that thing looked on by someone.

12. Stevostin says:

It looks great but I am very skeptical about TPV. Bigger FOV, look and go in separate directions, it really seems way better than pilot view hence cheated. I’d prefer FPV + freelook from cockpit for everyone.

13. Didden says:

Use the force Luke…

14. vivlo says:

Shaking screen, blue sky, saturated sunlight is all that makes me want to play a game.

15. randdy says:

my classmate’s sister-in-law makes $83 hourly on the internet. She has been out of a job for eight months but last month her check was $14577 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this site http://www.jazz77.com

16. emotionengine says:

Can’t believe nobody mentioned the, err, striking similarities this shares with Strike Suit Zero/Infinity. Just had to get that off my chest.

• SuicideKing says:

I guess everyone just noted that long ago…though i’d argue that almost any space shooter/sim post 1999 looks like FreeSpace 2, so…

17. frosty2oo2 says:

this is like something straight out of my dreams