Drive The Car, Shoot The Gun: Quantum Rush

By Ben Barrett on August 28th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Kickstarter nostalgia-trading isn’t exactly new – the crowd-funding revolution was started by that most romanticised of genres the adventure game, after all – but I can still get the odd hit off it. Quantum Rush is one such provider, calling to mind two mainstays of my childhood: Lego Racers (awful, buggy, bad controls, loved it to death) and Rollcage (probably crap, won’t hear a bad word against it). It’s a “combat racer” in a futuristic style that allows for anti-grav technology, industry standard death beams and a truly wacky selection of locales. GameArt Studio are after the lofty sum of $100,000 on the dream-funder and you can see what they’ve got to say after the cut.

It’s a long’un, but they go into some detail about their plans for the game. Quantum Rush is an interesting one, particularly with the free-to-play model. One can only assume it’ll operate akin to the World of Tanks method with gradual unlocks earned via experience points, taking a long time without investment but possible either way. The commitment to a competitive game is good to see: arcade racing has usually embraced a more casual crowd but has potential (as all genres do) to get a little more serious. I’d quite like to play this so throw a buck or two their way if you can.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. shdw says:

How dare you call Rollcage crap? :) That’s probably the best racing game ever. I’d take quality sequel any day and Kickstart the living sh*t out of that. And I am saying this as someone who hasn’t paid for a single project on Kickstarter. I’ll rather pay full price for ones that turn out to be good.

Edit: Besides this looks more like Wipeout than Rollcage.

• BobbyDylan says:

Yeah, got big whipeout vibe from it.

• yonsito says:

Looks a bit like Hi-Octane, too.

• Ben Barrett says:

Yeah, it’s very wipeout-esque, but some fated PCG disc didn’t have a wipeout demo I played for entire weekends so it’s less ingrained in my memory.

• Rikard Peterson says:

Yeah, Rollcage 2 feels pretty close to perfect to me.

• Ross Angus says:

And while we’re at it, no dissing of Lego Racers. That game is the bees knees, if you’ll pardon my French.

• Ravenholme says:

The appreciation for Rollcage here makes me happy. It’s my favourite racing game ever, to this day.

2. c-Row says:

While it only came out on the Box Of X, the obvious nostalgia connection here would be Quantum Redshift I think, given the similar titles and everything. Though I doubt this one will get a soundtrack by Junkie XL.

• Seraph says:

Logged in just to say this. The desert level in the teaser looks very similar to one in Quantum Redshift, the general aesthetic is comparable, and of course the names are very close: “Quantum Redshift” and “Quantum Rush”. I’m all about getting futuristic racers onto the PC, I’ve almost sprung for a PS3 a few times just because PC doesn’t have anything approaching Wipeout. I don’t understand why they’re going for a F2P model at all though, and I probably won’t be playing the game if they stick to it.

3. Pliqu3011 says:

For those interested in more works of the lead concept artist, modeller:

4. LionsPhil says:

>Kickstarting a free-to-play game

Who are these people, and how do I confiscate their money? They clearly don’t know what to do with it.

• Greggh says:

They could always ask for a little money for the bank, eh? I’m sure those guys like giving money away in exchange for free things…

• LionsPhil says:

It’s not the “free” aspect, because that’s just patronage; it’s the “free-to-play” bit, which means the game will be a sucking mire of grind and microtransactions. Which you paid to bring into this world.

• BobbyDylan says:

Thank god someone else understands. I thought I was last sane one left!

• Ben Barrett says:

Their Kickstarter FAQ has been updated with information on why they’ve decided to go F2P. Quote below.

First of all, it is very important to us to point out that although Quantum Rush will be free-to-play there will be no system of pay-to-win. People will be able to pay money for cosmetic changes such as skins and color packs, additional garage and racer configuration slots and to boost progression through tiers, for example via research boosts. The matchmaking system creates separate matches for all tiers and also takes into account your ELO rating for the given tier, so it will not negatively effect you if other players progress faster. In short: there will be nothing in the game you can purchase with real money that gives you a competitive advantage over other players on the racetrack.

For some, free-to-play is synonymos with grinding through a specific part of the game in order to progress – we will have nothing like this in Quantum Rush.

Against this background, we believe that free-to-play is the best way we can go with Quantum Rush. There are no drawbacks but many advantages: people who do not want to or simply can not spend money on games can still enjoy it and become part of the community, you can try out all aspects of the game before deciding to pay for anything and you do not have to commit to paying money every month if you want to keep playing.

• LionsPhil says:

The same empty promises every F2P developer makes, you mean.

The ones which, even if they stick to initially, get dropped a few months in when the bank balance isn’t looking so great any more.

• DrollRemark says:

There will be no system of pay-to-win. People will be able to pay money [...] to boost progression through tiers, for example via research boosts

…Um.

5. Lobotomist says:

For a moment it looked like return of Star Wars Racer…
    But than I realised i was only dreaming…

6. The First Door says:

I was really excited for this… until I noticed it said it was online only.

Why would you not put split-screen into a game like this? Sad face.

7. MrThingy says:

Just had a nostalgic flashback to “Hi Octane” by Bullfrog. Think I have the box for that somewhere.

Floaty zoomy things picking up powerups and the doing shooty things.

• Lambchops says:

Exactly what I thought as soon as I saw the screenshot.

Man I was rubbish at Hi-Octane. Seem to remember it came free with one of our family’s PCs along with Magic Carpet Theme Park and Bioforge. Bullfrog were ace weren’t they?

• MrThingy says:

They certainly were. I still have a wee jaunt on Powermonger and Populous on the emulator now and again.

• LionsPhil says:

I thought Slipstream 5000, except it looks like this one’s trackbound.

8. Shaun239 says:

Quantum Redshift was really good; I assume this game is made by the same people?

Shame about F2P though.

9. kwyjibo says:

I wish they would rip off Wipeout even more, so that their ship designs don’t look so shit.

10. Chizu says:

What does that man have on his head.
    In the meantime, yes please. I love me some arcadey sci-fi combat racing.
    All i really want is a Extreme-G clone, but I’ll take a wipeout-like game instead.

11. Tasloi says:

This somewhat reminds me of that Death Road game that can’t seem to get through Steam Greenlight.

12. Deadly Habit says:

I just want a new Wipeout, key part being awesome electronic music and speed.

13. biggergun says: