SWAT’s This? A Takedown Trailer? Clancy That

By Craig Pearson on August 28th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

CS too?
I think I squeezed enough puns into the that title to take the rest of the day off. Go me! As you can tell, I am suggesting that Takedown: Red Sabre is a tactical shooter. It is. It’s actually a Kickstarter title that squeezed past its goal just over a year ago, pitching a return to the sort of games Tom Clancy of ten years ago would personally code for us. There was a lot of noise made by the developer about the state of games and the particular hole that’s been left in the release schedule that it’s trying to fill: slow-burn games of planning and execution, where a SWAT team will sweep through a ship or an oil rig and deliver precisely planned justice to terrorist foreheads. Have they made that game? We’ll find out soon.

So, things that aren’t very clear from the trailer: players will be able to select their equipment with everything unlocked from the start. It’s up to them to select the correct bits for the situation at hand. You’ll even have to consider your ammunition’s penetration value, and how noisy it is. That sort of detail is applied to the whole game. It’s a shame that’s not in the trailer, because if you’re looking to make your game stand-out, showing men shooting other men really isn’t the best way to do it. The shooting is fine, and looks better than I expected from the $200,000 budget.

The trailer isn’t just the team being generous. It has a nefarious plan to lead you to buy the game, which is out next month on September 20th, 2013.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Leb says:

I did not find these puns amusing – they were really a breach in imagination

2. jsbenjamin says:

I thought the phrase was “Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.” Though I guess “Fast is slow and slow is fast” sorta works, too. Been a long time since we’ve had a good, methodical FPS.

3. ch4os1337 says:

As much as I love old school Tom Clancy games and tactical shooters, this doesn’t really look up to par. Based only on the gameplay in the trailer I would probably have more fun with GRAW (PC) which has better graphics and probably plays better… and came out in 2006. So I’m going to pass on this one sadly.

• Gap Gen says:

I dunno, if it touches anywhere near Raven Shield it’ll be worth playing. Anyone tried the alpha?

• Rubyace says:

I’ve played Takedown in Gamescom this year so I have some impression about it. It is truly tactical shooter where standing still in line of sight mostly results in death (well that is expected). The game felt bit cheap but taken its price tag, it should be fine for that price. Guns had some recoil but I would not call it the most realist gun-wise.

With friends you should get quite a decent experience when playing through it. There was approximately 10-15 maps available for co-op (or single player, don’t know how well the bots work) and the one I was playing had 1 hour timer until failure state. This would mean at least 20 hours of game play taken that you won’t make it through everything on first try. It is a bit trial and error where you will do need to play through the level to find where enemies are coming as they kill you very fast.

Overall okey game in a market where such games are not really overflowing.

• Gap Gen says:

Thanks! You mention trial and error, which would be disappointing since it’d be nice to be able to use tactics to avoid that, but will give it a go on release.

• Shadowcat says:

I’d hope that they were taking a SWAT3/4-like approach whereby the enemy locations are always random, forcing you to use good tactics?

• huldu says:

There are only a handful of *tactical* fps games out there that haven’t been tainted by normal fps play. Those are the first few Rainbow 6 games and Swat 3. The graphics are old and dated, obviously, but the tactical aspect of those games can’t be matched by todays games, one mistake = dead. Nowadays it’s one-man army approach which is a shame, or you can take multiple shots without dying /sigh.

4. db1331 says:

It’s poor sport to use up all the puns in the headline.

5. FurryLippedSquid says:

OHHhhh it’s more monkey news, chimpanzee that ya fu… *mumblecough*

• sjjs says:

“Alright, so this was ages ago, but there was a monkey that got chucked out of the army an’ that cause he tried it on with the missus of his lieutene… lietenu… lieutenement.

Weird, innit.”

6. pupsikaso says:

So, this is a “gameplay” trailer, huh.

7. LionsPhil says:

Halllllllll-elujah! Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelu-u-u-u-jah!

• hitnrun says:

Aaaaaa-men! Aaaaaa-men! Aaa-men, Aaa-men, Aaa-men!

I don’t want to get my hopes up, but it’s nice to see *someone* acknowledge a very successful game genre that existed until 10 years ago until it suddenly didn’t, for really no good reason except that it requires the same assets as a more successful genre.

• derbefrier says:

lol its almost enough of a reason for me to buy this game alone. weapon unlocks in competitive shooters are evil

• thedosbox says:

Indeed. I was hoping for a SWAT4 remake, complete with non-lethal weapons, but a Raven Shield clone would be peachy.

8. engion3 says:

Looks like raven shield, which I loved.

9. Njordsk says:

I don’t mean to sound harsh, but IA disabled?

Looks a little cheap from the look of it, but I hope they manage to pull it up and make a great game, they’re lacking since raven shield

10. SRTie4k says:

It’s hard to take tactical shooters that use sound effects from GoldenEye seriously.

11. Bostec says:

I really thought it was a lime he chucked.

12. IonTichy says:

Those puns on this site are getting more and more painful.

Thanks a lot! ;)

13. Hazzard65 says:

Oh ffs it’s “Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.”

14. DrollRemark says:

Grr, just because your trailer uses in-game assets does not make it a “gameplay trailer.”

(Grumble grumble)

15. Moni says:

That voice sounds fairly similar the voice of John Clark in the good old Rainbow Six games. It would be pretty cool if they had managed to get Douglas Rye in to the briefings.

16. rockman29 says:

This reminds me so much of Raven Shield… the graphics… the animation…. the sounds…

*cries*

17. AlienMind says:

“PC will have a DRM free version available.”
    He said to the backers.
    Let’s see in a month if that was a lie.
    Seeing the Steam logo instead of just “PC” at the end of the trailer doesn’t bode well.

• Runty McTall says:

I’m a backer and IIRC he specifically addressed this issue with the backers and polled them and people were ok with Steam as “DRM” because of steamworks and all the rest that came along with it.

• rocketman71 says:

I’m also a backer and not all of us were ok with it.

I like Steam and everything, but if there isn’t a DRM free version besides Steam, it will be the last time I give money to Serellan.

• AlienMind says:

Ah, ok, thanks for sharing that info. I’m with rocketman71 on this, luckily I didn’t pledge because I missed the KS.

• Runty McTall says:

Yeah sorry, didn’t mean to give the impression that it was universally accepted. I don’t follow the game too closely tbh but I got the vibe that they at least “won” the poll on using Steam.

18. DetCord says:

It certainly looked and sounded like a budget title, the kind you used to find in a bin.

At least they had the good conscience to charge a budget price ($14.99) for it.

19. ratache says:

Weapon fidelity and animations are clearly lacking which isn’t good in a game like this. I’ll might try it though, I miss these kind of games and it’ll probably rock in co-op regardless.

• ludde says:

Mhm, I’m disappointed in the general feel of models and animations. It’s just varyingly off and odd, which makes it look weightless and stiff.

It’s sad that Ground Branch didn’t get successfully kickstarted. Judging from their demo, they really looked like they had that stuff nailed down.

At least there’s a tactical, close quarter shooter coming out this year — been a long time since the last one. Maybe Serellan can continue making and improving them, or someone else can pick up the ball.

20. Godly12 says:

Im hoping this game has the in-depth planning phase with go codes and everything the way R6 did. One thing I hate about it so far is the unrealistic weapons sounds. I despise that hollywood “TWIP” sound of a suppressed weapon firing. I wish they had done some real weapon recordings for it. Does anyone know how they are going to go about the gear and arming in the game? Can we mod the weapons with sights and lasers the way we feel the mission would need?

• DetCord says:

It doesn’t.

No planning a-la R6 whatsoever and no campaign to speak of, though is does have SP missions, but the AI looks rather incompetent. Couple that with horrendous animations, shit sound design, and sub-par visuals, it’s a pass for me and I’ve been following it’s dev for a while now. Hell, even the weapon manipulation and shooting mechanics look terrible.

0:22 Player anims
      0:54 – 2D optics?
      1:28 Death anims

Stopped watching soon after.

• Bull0 says:

Lol, at 1:28 when that guy literally tapdances sideways into the frame and he sort of ineffectually sprays bullets from the hip at him and he falls over…

tactical! hardcore!

• HothMonster says:

They did do real weapons recordings. I agree though, those silenced sounds in the trailer do sound like the standard hollywood FX.

21. GallonOfAlan says:

HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT

Rappelling down buildings

HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT

Piling out of armoured trucks

HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT

Stroking our weapons

HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT

22. jellydonut says:

Why did this make it through Kickstarter, while Ground Branch didn’t?

People be dumb and shortsighted, yo.

• Professor Paul1290 says:

There seemed to be a few different reasons TakeDown made it through Kickstarter while Ground Branch didn’t as far as I could tell:

-A lot of people were complaining Ground Branch was “vaporware” because it had been in development for such a long time. A lot of people weren’t willing to give them a second chance because of that.

-TakeDown has considerably less ambitious goals than Ground Branch. TakeDown promised to be a straight co-op focused room-to-room tactical shooter and not much more than that. Because of that, to many TakeDown seemed more “safe” and “feasible”.

-A lot of people perceived Ground Branch as overlapping with ARMA. This isn’t exactly true, but many people not already familiar with Ground Branch saw it that way.
      TakeDown didn’t have this problem as much as it advertised environments and play that ARMA had thus far not put much emphasis on at all.

Having supported both projects, I don’t think any of the above were fair assessments of Ground Branch.

At least Ground Branch still continues to progress at a decent pace on it’s own regardless.

23. jandrews2795 says:

Anybody else have trouble checking out their website? They have one of those “Enter your birthday so we can try to prove you’re not an eight year old even though you’d just fudge the date anyway” kind of things.

No matter what I put it, it doesn’t work. >.>