The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot’s ‘Open House’ Event

By Jim Rossignol on August 28th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Ubi send word that their free online dungeon-crawling hack ‘n slash,The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot, will open up for a week for everyone, not just beta folks, from yesterday until 3rd September. You can jump right in just here, or you can watch a video of a comedy mage with a terrible squeaky mage, below.

Anyone playing this? I’ve been meaning to take a look.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Awesumo says:

Meh, they let pretty much let anyone who asked into the beta right away anyway.

• trjp says:

In fairness they are making changes in response to how people are playing it.

It’s a lovely idea – for me, the problem is that it’s “raid castle, get loot, upgrade castle repeat”

That might not sound too bad – it’s how games work usually – but it’s always the same castle, yours or someone else’s – the same castle…

If there were themes/decors etc. – even if they cost money – it would break-it-all-up quite nicely.

They HAVE to do this – there’s a fair bit of depth to the castle building but when they all look the same – why bother?

• AngoraFish says:

A couple of different graphic packs to personalise your castle would definitely be a good start.

• DianaBest says:

my classmate’s sister-in-law makes $73/hr on the computer. She has been fired for eight months but last month her paycheck was $16544 just working on the computer for a few hours. have a peek at this website… http://www.day37.com

2. Skipperoo says:

I spent an hour with it and have no desire to go back. Interesting gimmick but the gameplay is very humdrum.

3. bglamb says:

Yeah, it somehow felt like you were fighting in treacle. It was incredibly frustrating just trying to move and swing. Everything was soooooo sloooooow that it was just so inherently unsatisfying.

Plus, y’know, all these hour long barriers to play that you can pay real money to skip, that soon turn in to 10 hour waits, then 24 hour waits.

4. bills6693 says:

I was let into the beta a little while ago but every time I try to launch the game it says it is undergoing maintenance. Oh well.

5. Kein says:

>”Anyone playing this?”

Why would anyone torture himself with Uplay? No game worth it.

• trjp says:

It doesn’t use UPlay so you look a bit of a berk at this point…

• Demiath says:

Uplay is passable, unless you’re anti-Steam (Valve’s service is better but not fundamentally different) as well there’s really not much to complain about. Origin, on the other hand, is one of the alien threats in The Bureau: XCOM Declassified’s campaign mode so that form of DRM is a bit…invasive, I guess?

• bills6693 says:

What I really dislike about uplay is the way that in each game, there are four achivements to get points and then you spend those points on getting extras for the game. I mean, stuff like wallpapers I don’t care about, but when it is like ‘unlock an extra slot’ etc it seems a bit stupid.

6. Vesuvius says:

If only this game weren’t grindy, frustrating, pay to win drivel.

7. Koozer says:

Concept looked nice, but after playing it for a bit I realised it was just as horrid as all those iOS games that make you wait 24 hours for upgrades for no reason other than to generate money from impatience by accepting cash to speed things up.

People may complain about Planetside 2, World of Tanks et al with their XP grinding systems to unlock different stuff, but at least you need to actually play the game rather than stare at a number go down.

8. Fagadaba says:

It’s basically a Facebook game with long cooldowns to repeat building actions, and a mobile-like hack n’ slash gameplay. Also, everytime I come back to the game it tells me that other players have raided all my money and energy points.

9. Cyrius says:

I thought it was pretty fun.

10. Balanuir says:

Yeah, I’ve been playing it for quite a while now.

I’m not sure how much I can say, since aside from the Open House events, it’s still a closed beta, but some general remarks:

The concept is insanely fun, which is why I signed up originally. Sadly, much like the original Dungeon Keeper, much of the potential is being wasted in making the game too gamey, too much like other games, not enough taking risk in going new ways.

Balance issues have plagued the beta for a long time, and they’re far from over. For a long while, there were like 3 monsters that were really great, and the rest was shit. So you had castle after castle filled to the brim with the same monster.
    Right now, slowing people is more effective then trying to kill them, so most castles are boring grind-fests with tons of fights that you know 100% you will win, but they take forever.

The economy has been much improved from early betas, but is still rough around the edges. And the castle level calculations are still completely broken, to the point where a few exploitively-built castles are twice as hard as non-abusive castles 5 levels higher. Since levels only go to 32, that’s a massive problem.

Basically, it promises tons of fun and sometimes you get really cool castles to raid, and of course building your own is a blast. Unfortunately, most of the time it’s a gamble because most of the player-built castles are either abusive, or boring, or both.

And then there are the really, really unbelievable stupid design decisions they make. There is a rating system in the game, so after running a castle you can give it from 1 to 5 stars and leave a comment. But the comments are only shown to the castle owner and the ratings are NEVER shown anywhere at all. So what’s it all for? It would be so easy to make the ratings public and help people avoid the bad castles, but no… *sigh*

So, it has potential, and I’m still playing, but every few days I’m an inch short of quitting, because it just isn’t there, yet.

• AngoraFish says:

The rating system is just dumb. Is the castle you just played a 5 because it beat you in under two minutes, or a 1 because you’re pissed off that the castle beat you in under two minutes?

Ratings are meaningless, and consequently, I’ve simply been giving everything 3, unless a castle really pisses me off by killing me early, in which case it gets 1 star.

Also, I don’t want to read your comment gloating about how my castle is da suck, I already know.

11. Goku46 says:

Hi guys, if you want a free beta key for The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot go here, all is explain http://themightyquestforepicloot-beta.blogspot.com/