Badger Week: Shelter Launch Trailer

By Craig Pearson on August 29th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

While felis catus is the official spirit animal of RPS, and the endless bear its deity, there is always a soft spot* for the badger. There has been a recent groundswell (pun!) of support that can’t be ignored. That’s all because of Shelter, Might & Delight’s mightily delightful game that somehow transposes all those icky human feelings of family and love, as well as general concerns about feeding and care, into a game about badger survival. It’s out now, and there’s a launch trailer below.

I’m telling you now I am not going to play this. I don’t play games to feel things. And my desk is right by my front window, which means my neighbours can see in. I refuse to answer their questions about why I’m blubbing with the word “badgers”.

Thankfully for me I won’t have to. John’s been playing this and the review lands later today, so if you feel like waiting you can knowing that RPS cryingest reviewer has been sett on it. (That’s enough – Ed.) Until then, if you missed it Cara’s preview of it then you should read it. It’s quite the thing, and it makes me doubly determined to not play it. At least not without emotional support and the curtains drawn. I’m now off to watch Jurassic Park in 3D, because I demand my entertainment to involve dinosaurs or theme parks that go wrong. Enjoy the badgers.

*Made soft by tears and snot.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Gap Gen says:

And just in time for the cull.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Be quiet ;__;

• Ravenholme says:

Culls are pretty stupid. Leading thought amongst biologists and ecologists is that performing a cull actually enhances the spread of Bovine TB, because of what happens to a badger sett when it is hit by a Cull. (The surviving members, especially males, go on epic, Shelter-like journeys to new places, And if they’re carrying Bovine TB, they take it with them.)

Culls are basically something the government is doing to be seen to be doing something for farmers, which actually tends to make the problem worse. Because the farmers don’t want to have to eradicate and vaccinate against it in their own stocks.

Harlander says:

Something must be done!
        This is something!
        Therefore, we must do it!

There’s a lot of that about lately

• The Random One says:

@Harlander: That is probably what most politicians believe an effective politician acts like.

Gap Gen says:

Yeah, I gather it’s completely political and largely the government caving to farmers unions, who are caving to farmers who either don’t understand the science or who just want them to “do something”. I mean, I can understand the financial pressure on farmers, but like people say the cull isn’t a solution.

• Ravenholme says:

It’s a problem that we Ecologists are depressingly familiar with. The inertia of fighting people’s ingrained notions of the effects of their actions (Which are sometimes woefully out of touch with the reality) is massive :/

Gap Gen says:

It’s a massively common problem in politics, from drug policy to foreign policy. Of course sometimes people’s prejudices do make sense to their immediate well-being (for example, wealth transfer to the EU does in the very short term make British people on average less well off, even if the benefits of being connected to Europe in some way are obvious to anyone with a half-decent sense of British economic and foreign policy imperatives). However, often people just don’t have the scientific literacy or sense of how to access reliable information on topics to make informed choices.

2. Shadrach says:

I think it looks lovely and very interesting. Played a little bit last night after release, but I find I really wish it had controller support. Making a profile in Xpadder should be easy enough though.

Possibly it could be a bit more colourful, but I guess there’s a reason for the washed-out look.

3. hjd_uk says:

Topical

4. Tuggy Tug says:

This does look interesting.

Plus, the music works really well in the trailer.

5. Isair says:

Downloading now. Craig not playing it has yet to steer me wrong.

• MaXimillion says:

So you like every game ever made then?

• Isair says:

Well, seeing how it goes without saying that he hasn’t played a game, I figure that when he feels the need to point it out, it usually means it’s a good one.

cpt_freakout says:

Yeah, you have to remember that Craig has played like one or two videogames. And one of those is probably a Flash game.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I heard he could write, but not read. Weird.

Gap Gen says:

I heard he submits all his posts in a secret language that only he knows, and that John had to learn it by living with him for several months so that he could translate his posts and submit them to the site in English. I think “kawi” is the Craigian for “magic picture box” and “un tika tik” can be loosely translated as “fall over bad men stick in bottom right side”, while the language has several words with complex and subtle connotations to describe homonyms used in a humorous context.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It is a language of unsurpassed elegance and beauty. To hear it makes grown men weep, so to spare the fragile emotions of the world he communicates mainly by Twitter, grunting, and blows to the head.

• Prime says:

Some say…he cannot “see” dinosaurs.

6. PatrickSwayze says:

This looks like some great orgy of dying animals.

I think I’ll wait till ‘The Burrowers’ on BBC2 ends on Friday before I get this.

quietone says:

Badgers? We ain’t got no badgers! We don’t need no badgers! I don’t have to show you any stinking badgers!

Okami says:

First impressions:

I’m in a cave.
    I can’t leave the cave.
    There is zero explanation of controls.
    There’s a turnip in the cave.
    I can’t do anything withit.
    There’s a tunnel leading deeper into the cave.
    I can’t go there because invisible collision.

Complete and utter player guidiance fail within the first few seconds of the game. Not bad.

EDIT: Ok, I figured it out.

Still could have been done better.

9. Ross Angus says:

Setting emotional circuits to weeping mode.

10. Sparkasaurusmex says:

How do you kill a pun?
    You put (pun!) right after it.

11. MeestaNob says:

Lovely art style, like an interactive patchwork quilt.

12. Prime says: