Get On The Death Road To Canada

By Ben Barrett on August 29th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Ship it.

Do I really need to say anything after an image so full of perfection as that? Do you really need more convincing to give permadeath comedy survival horror Death Road to Canada a chance? Do you even need to know about the possibility of teaching dogs to drive to check out the Kickstarter? Do yo- (YES – Ed.) alright fine. Along with your common or garden procedurally generated maps, characters which join your zombie battling group are also randomised. So where one time you had a whole squad of sane humans, now you might be half dogs, or three dogs and a bloke pretending to be a horse. Or Elvis. Or a panda. A trailer if you’re somehow unconvinced after the jump.

With such astonishing claims as “More dogs than the Fable series or Call of Duty: Dog Edition” I’m glad it looks like they can back it up. What’s more interesting on the design side is a keeping to the concepts used in Choose Your Own Adventure books. Characters and traits available to you will close off and enable certain passages. Surprisingly rare in games, which usually ascribe to a simpler, more friendly “you can do everything if you have the time” route.

I’ll leave you with this quote from the press kit:

Find a dog, teach it to drive. Have all the humans in your party die. Make the dog recruit other dogs until your band of survivors consists of 5 dogs driving a muscle car.

Yes. Fund it.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. GernauMorat says:

I love how on the Kickstarter page, Paul Pridham has different numbers of children to feed at every mention

2. lowprices says:

This game had me at “5 Dogs driving a muscle car.”

Also I want to help support Paul Pridham’s nine kids.

3. Blinky343 says:

I like.

4. Skabooga says:

It’s almost worth funding for the banner image alone. I’ll have to investigate this more closely.

5. scottyjx says:

I’m just gonna keep this tab open for the next month or ten and look at that picture when I’m feeling a little down.

6. grundus says:

I love Rocketcat’s iOS games, their sense of humour is great and their games are great. I’m excited.

7. Tei says:

I am a keyboard, and this thing is pressing all the right buttons.

8. Wedge says:

It looks like memes + choose your own adventure + meh gameplay. Maybe there’s something more there though. Their mascot IS adorable though.

9. Gonefornow says:

Death to Road(s): Canada

I can’t wait for Death to Roads: 2015

10. Geen says:

Holy shit roguelike dogsquad canada oregon trail with Tarn Adams, the great Toady One, in the video.
    FUCKING FUND IT THROUGH THE ROOF

11. bhlaab says:

Holy shit someone made a game about zombies? As a huge fan of Night of the Living Dead I’m glad this finally happened.

• AlmostPalpable says:

Aye, it’s high-time the world got another zombie game but what the world really needs is horse-masks because everybody knows that people who like horse-masks are the most funny, original and most likeable people on the planet. It will not be a perfect world until all games are zombie games and all comedians must wear horse-masks because you can only be funny while wearing one, preferably while being a zombie underneath.

12. Stevostin says:

The moment in the video with unarmed horse man surrounded by zombie is so wonderful. Even when expected.

Comment on this story