Shadowrun Returns Returns In January For Berlin

By Jim Rossignol on August 29th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

The October goal for Shadowrun Returns‘ mini expansion Berlin is now a January goal, as Harebrained explain: “we’ve decided to spend more time on Berlin to create an experience closer to the size of Dead Man’s Switch. A story of that scope will take longer, so we’re targeting January for its release.” Interesting! There’s more: “we know that we want our next story to feel more like the player is part of a shadowrunning crew and contain more corporate intrigue.” And that means a story that goes deeper into the original Shadowrun sourcebook set in Germany.

And will they change the way saves work? “It’s still too early to say whether this is going to be possible, but we wanted to let you know that we’re actively investigating it.” Well that’s hopeful.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. baltasaronmeth says:

I hope they take the chance, listen to the crowd and fix what’s considered broken by so many.

2. N'Al says:

This reminds me I still need to complete the original campaign, I must be about 2-3 screens from the end.

One reason I stopped so close towards the end was that the limitations of the save system (i.e. having to replay a good chunk of the game if things go pear-shaped) really became apparent by then, and I ragequit in disgust. Absolutely loved the game up until then, though…

3. kraken says:

They need to improve saving and add Astral perception (projection would be nice but is not realistic).

The lack of any kind of Astral was the biggest disappointment for me.
    The game is missing a big aspect of the universe there. Even if it’s only a visual overlay with some additional information (it doesn’t even need to be as developed as the Matrix aspect).
    It was promised in the kickstarter, I hop they add it along the Berlin campaign.

• Bluerps says:

I think the whole magical side of the setting is a bit underdeveloped. So yes, astral space would be a very welcome addition.

4. razzafazza says:

I wish they d also completely revamp the mechanics to be more shadowrun like. The rpg mechanics they have in place now are crap and feel nothing like SR. Nor are they good in their own right. Waste of a wonderful setting, fantastic art and nice Editor to have it all dragged down by the awful limited character customization, progression etc. should have let themselves be more inspired by the pnp rather than ios crap.

• N'Al says:

I disagree. What makes you say that?

I can’t really comment on whether it feels like SR or not (I only played the P&P version once, and that was a long time ago), but I think the current RPG system they’ve got in the game is one of its strengths. Easy to grasp and very versatile, with potential for very different character builds. Imo, of course.

• Bluerps says:

Hm. I only know the rather old SR2 and SR3 rules, but those were terrible. Have the newer editions rules that are much better?

Anyway, I disagree that the game should imitate the ruleset of the pen&paper game. P&P RPGs and CRPGs are not the same thing, and a game designer should go with what rules work best for the game they are making.

I think that the rules of SR Returns are adequate. They are not particularly great, but they get the job done.

• razzafazza says:

whats was so terrible about 3rd ed ? i enjoyed it alot, though of course it also has its weaknesses…

and i dont think they should have taken PNP 1:1 into the game. but they should have at least somewhat tried to bring shadowrun gameplay into their pc adaption (which feels a lot more like a tablet adaption ported to pc …. )

a primary example is the awful character creation which is absolutely nothing like PnP where your choice of cyberware plays a huge role in defining your character. in SRR you cannot chose cyberware during character creation and even if you could it wouldnt matter because cyberware plays barely any role in SRR other than minor bonuses that can barely compete with wearing a funny outfrit. instead almost every character is better of dipping into magic for haste …

wearing a tourist dress gives better skills for a rigger in srr than cyberware … its all terribly simplified and un-shadowrun.

even not comming from PnP the mechanics found in SRR are something like an x-com ultra light designed for tablets … the only way i can understand someone enjoying streamlined mechanics like these is if they dont want mechanics to get in their way of enjoying the story – which for those people is a fair point i guess but then dont try trashtalking the pnp rules or stating the SRR rules are good when the only thing good about is that they are easy to grasp and there s little depth to character customization and progression other than putting as much karma in 2 skills and regularly visiting the “shop” to buy the next weapon/gear that unlocks after a couple of missions.

that pretty much sums it up though: people who only care for the shadowrun setting (as in read the books etc.) may be perfectly happy with SRR but everyone i know who expected shadowrun gameplay is deeply disappointed at the simplicity.

• Bluerps says:

That might be it, yeah. I played SRR mostly for the Shadowrun setting, not because I expected it to have any specfic game mechanics. Not that I would be against better game mechanics, but like I said, I think that what is there gets the job done.

Regarding SR3 – I don’t want to go into the details (or have a discussion about it, really), but I never liked the skill system, or the basic d6-based dice-system.

Oh, and I do agree with you on cyberware. It’s impact in SRR is too small, I think.

• xao says:

So your complaint is that the cyberware isn’t fleshed out well enough? I’d tend to agree on that, but it’s also something that should be easily amended in future content.

Was there anything about the core game that you thought didn’t work well for Shadowrun?

5. oceanclub says:

I hope they do fix the save system, as it has really put me off buying a copy. Also, if they do plan to port the game to Android, a save system is a must; no one can leave a tablet/mobile game running in the background constantly if they have to stop playing before hitting a save point.

P.

6. Drayk says:

I was more annoyed buy the lack of interactivity of the setting and the linearity. You don’t really have branching scenarios.

I would love to freely move between places at times.

7. Njordsk says:

Didn’t finish it either. I’m at the cimetary. Is it far from the end?

Anyway the lack of proper save is part of me quitting, I HATE having to launch a game without knowing how long I’ll have to play before a save trigger. Sometimes it was very long, and you simply can’t quit.

And the tough english level was the second one. Not being a native english speaker, the level is considerably high.

• InternetBatman says:

I can see how the English in the game would be hard. It’s not high-level as much as it uses a bunch of made-up words.

My solution the save state problem was to simply alt tab away from it when I had to leave. They should have a better save system, but this works in its absence.

Also, the cemetery is about 2/3rds of the way through the game. There are a few more missions and optional missions (and one boss fight of similar difficulty).

8. Laurentius says:

Despite linearity i would be probaby re-playing it second or third timeright now if not this awful save system. That should be their first priority to fix.

9. neofit says:

” we’re actively investigating it”. Good, keep investigating it. When you’re done figuring out how to properly save and reload a game, I might be interested in reading up about whatever else your game is about. Plenty of games to play in the meantime or instead.

10. DeFrank says:

I can’t think of a single aspect of this game that I was not underwhelmed with other than the editor maybe. Difficulty was non-existent, no save games was annoying as hell, branching conversations had little to no impact of the story, etc etc. Between this and Space Hulk I am the cry.

11. draglikepull says:

Weird to see so many people ragging on the game. I had a great time with it (terrible save system aside). I don’t know what people thought they were getting in a $15 game that went from concept to finished product in a little over a year. This was never going to be a sprawling epic with a wide variety of deep systems. The game simply didn’t have the budget for that. I think they did a great job creating a fun game that captured the feeling of the setting well within the restrictions that they were working under.

• aliksy says:

I had fun with it, and think it was worth the money. Wasn’t able to get into a replay of it, but that’s ok.

12. morgofborg says:

I played the whole first campaign and was never bothered in the slightest by the save system. Checkpoints really do come often.

13. RProxyOnly says:

“Closer to the size of Dead Man’s Switch”

First of all… FUCK! .. that they actually considered making it significatly smaller, now it’s just slightly smaller.

Secondly…..FUCK!.. that still only puts it at about 10 hours… It’s barely worth starting up.

Thirdly……..FUCK!.. I wanted an actual significant game, not two insignificant ones with most resources going to design the toolset, a secondary issue at the start.

HBS missed the mark so badly someone should have given them a compass.

14. jiminitaur says:

Honestly, I don’t think HBS have what it takes to fix the save system or provide content that is more than mediocre in the expansion.

15. iridescence says:

I find the small inventory even more annoying than the lack of saving. Why can’t I carry a few health packs and shaman fetishes at the same time? If this is their way of making the game more difficult it’s kind of frustrating. At least we should be able to access our stash and swap tings without starting the whole level over again.

I like SRR and feel like I should like it a lot more but some of the small design decisions they made really make me scratch my head.

16. joedpa82 says:

If you don’t like it don’t buy it and don’t play it. But don’t bash the game if you’ve never played it. I have 0 experience with both the RPG and games but based on what i’ve read (sourcebook) this game is as close as it can get with that amount of budget.
    HBS is a small team with the games being funded by gamers who WANTS to play it and who BACKED it in Kickstarter.

This is a company thats doing us a favor by making these games. Do you really want another Shooty McFPSon?

Even though it has its disappointments there is absolutely no use for you to rage. Its like your significant other. Sure she/he/it is not perfect but below that exterior she/he/it is what you’ve always wanted.

Treat SRR as your significant other and maybe, just maybe, you’ll appreciate it more. I know i did.

You don’t like the way HBS handles the story, the saves, the lack of side-quest? Then send them a proper and polite email. Its the least we could do.

17. cab8901 says:

i thought it was a pretty decent game. the save system only really gave me a headache once. pretty much blown out of proportion.

18. kwickpick says:

I have played through this storyline several times, using several different builds. I would also like to note that I play Shadowrun PNP 4th ed. weekly. I particularly love the visuals in the game, it is better than I expected. I also enjoy the Shadowrun feel of the game which, IMO, is only enhanced by the lack of being able to save the game on the fly. The auto save feature saving between scenes helps to keep the feeling that the drek could hit the fan at any moment. Then again, I try to play through the story with a PNP mentality. If my main character dies, I do not reload the game, I start over with a different character concept. That being said, the game is not perfect. For starters, it seemed very linear to me, magic and cyberware were not fleshed out enough to make them as big of a part of the game as they are in the PNP version, and the story was very short and progressed (power level-wise) too quickly. You go from Joe Schmoe to issuing orders to Harlequin, an elf that measures his age in millenia, in about a week. WTF?