Salute! America’s Army: Proving Grounds On Steam

By Craig Pearson on August 30th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

I’m fairly glad the America’s Army series exists. Before it existed, I had to ask my dad about army life, and if there’s one thing I’ve learned if I want to sleep at night it’s to not ask my dad about what he did in the army. To be honest, that also applies to his life in Glasgow before the army. And after. And yesterday. So instead I’ve had to find another route into the khaki trousers, and that’s where the mightily pro-Army series comes in. America’s Army: Proving Grounds, a new game focusing on ‘small unit tactics’ has just launched its beta on Steam. Have a proper gander at the trailer below.

It’s a multiplayer shooter, with small unit assaults of 6 vs 6 and up to 12 vs 12, with normal and hardcore modes. Hardcore is where you take everything you’ve gone through, the head shaving, the shouting, the psychological torture of trying to get friends to play a game on Steam at the same time, and apply it. The rewards here aren’t killstreaks or unlocks, but the warm glow of a team making objectives together. It’s free, so if I’m not dragged out to anything ‘cultural’ this weekend, I’ll probably play it for an hour.

My strongest memory of America’s Army was my character sitting at a desk filling in an test. I had to pass it before being allowed into the full game. There are quite a few games I’d like to implement that for.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Gap Gen says:

Indeed, America’s Army, demonstrating the truth of a mathematical statement from simple axioms does keep you humble and rooted in the real world.

• mishkapatri says:

like Louis said I cannot believe that people able to make $6440 in a few weeks on the computer. about his ———–>WEP6.ℂℴℳ
      Go to website and click Home tab for more details.
      ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

2. DestructibleEnvironments says:

If only you could talk to the terrorists.

• BobbyDylan says:

That would be in interesting game.

Craig Pearson says:

One of the ideas in my feature list is trying to negotiate in CS using my Steam Inventory.

• Baines says:

If it was a government-approved game, the NSA would probably monitor you and flag you if you chose to talk to the terrorists.

(Fun fact: I once knew a guy who got a visit from the NSA because he unknowingly talked to a terrorist online. This was back in the 90s, before the American government got paranoid.)

• gunny1993 says:

“Before the American government got paranoid”

So about the time bacteria gained the ability to photosynthesize?

• Baines says:

I should have said “really paranoid,” since it was paranoid before it even became America.

• The Random One says:

If it’s like the first game, each team sees themselves as the US forces and the other team as terrorists.

So you can’t talk to the terrorists, because to then them the terrorist is you! TWIST ENDING.

• Geen says:

No, John, you are the terrorists.
        And then John was a suicide bomber.

Anthile says:

It’s also a very blatant propaganda device lest we forget about that.

• Bhazor says:

Remember the pre 9/11 recruiting propaganda? The one that said the army is basically a long coed camping holiday? I miss those adverts. I guess that seemed tasteless around the time there was an actual war.

RaveTurned says:

“Have a proper gander at the trailer below.”

Assume you missed that line. (EDIT: Or it possibly wasn’t there at all at the time, in which case fair enough.)

Also the bit where Craig described the series as “mightily pro-Army”.

Craig Pearson says:

I only just added that “proper gander” line, actually. It struck me that I hadn’t pointed it out as clearly as I wanted to with the “pro-Army” line. And, of course, PUN!

particlese says:

4 hours later: Oh, wow, that was brilliant! Either that, or I was extra-thick this morning. Possibly both.

Lamb Chop says:

Meanwhile, John Walker’s sexism pieces blatantly prop a gender.

Lars Westergren says:

Yeah. One of the better parts of Bioshock:Infinite from a story telling perspective were the parts with the amusement park, where children were taught positive associations to the military, patriotism and obedience.

Simplisto says:

I think it’s disgusting that a game featuring simulated killing should be targeted at teenagers in this way and presented as entertainment. I wonder if anyone involved in the creation of this game will be able to sleep at night after someone decides to try and copy what he sees.

“But there’s no real killing in it”

Shut up.

• Pich says:

What? like every single other FPS?

Simplisto says:

Wolfcastle.

• Hahaha says:

What was the point in your original post apart from advertising your site?

thedosbox says:

I’m of the opinion that anyone who uses a URL as their nick should have their posts auto-deleted. Along with the spammers who claim they made money working from home.

Simplisto says:

There was no other point. I’m not even interested in games. I just post on random wordpress-based blogs with my cunningly evil ununclickable username in tow with the intent of tricking unsuspecting readers into adding to my Google Analytics score. I live for analytics. It’s such a joy to count the flies that get tangled up in my web.

• Stromko says:

Oh don’t worry, military recruiters aren’t allowed to start talking to kids and grooming them into the life until they’re at least 10 or 11.

Anyway it’s perfectly fine for adults like me. I’m a near-sighted and obese 30-year-old with gastrointestinal problems, it would just be a safe fantasy since the recruiters wouldn’t take me. Granted, a game like this isn’t nearly as interesting to me now as it was when I was 15 … hmm.

Simplisto says:

As long as you have a pulse they’d find some use for you.

• Skull says:

I don’t know if you are referring to country’s where military service is mandatory, but here in the UK they are extremely picky on who joins. I am a very fit, young able bodied man but was turned away for a mental disorder (aspergeous). A friend of mine who is extremely fit and would no doubt have made a great soldier was turned away for bouts of depression and attempted suicide from when he was a pre-teen (and it was only attention seeking wrist cutting – not full blown hanging himself or similar).

• gunny1993 says:

I refuse to believe there is a single member of the Royal Marines who doesn’t have some kind of mental issue, i always thought it was mandatory.

• burben says:

Wanna join the military? Come to the US! We’ll give you a gun! Shit man we’ll give you five! When you go on a rampage, however, please blame it on video games.

Gap Gen says:

I guess it depends on how desperate the military is for recruits. I think the US had a shortage for much of the period where they were fighting two land wars in Asia.

• Snargelfargen says:

They probably need young voters more than they do recruits.

• Baines says:

I don’t know what it is like now, but there have been complaints for years about how the US standards have dropped. The education requirement was lowered quite a while back because recruitment numbers dropped as better educated people weren’t enlisting. Relaxed standards also led to issues with more criminals, particularly active gang members, enlisting. (With gang members recruiting other members of their units into their gangs, as well.)

I don’t know how well that applies to physical standards. I think they’ve held on to those a bit stronger.

particlese says:

Clearly you haven’t heard of litterin.

• ZombieRiot says:

I find the problem isn’t the simulated killing.
      It’s one thing to use pretend violence as entertainment, it’s a wholly different story to use pretend violence to get young people interested in the real thing.

5. SuicideKing says:

I stopped playing AA after it transitioned to AA 3…though i still fire up 25Assist (community managed version of 2.8.5) on occasion…useful for Arma 3 feature suggestions.

6. Spooks says:

Just wonder what other bits of sneeky software the CIA/NSA install when you download this.

Just sayin…

PRISM anyone ?

7. stile7 says:

The beta has been really fun. Hard Core is more like the traditional tactical fps. It’s free on Steam now

8. bstard says:

Guys stop being paranoid, this is how the real world goes! You pewpew pure evil with you angle bullets.

Now the next one who tries to think for himself will get a nade for dinner.

9. mrmalodor says:

I’m actually kind of liking the new game. It has potential and is a heck of a lot more polished than AA3.
    I hope they add more European servers and more hardcore servers. Also, the animations need to be redone.

10. Rhalle says:

Pre-Special Forces America’s Army was one of he best team shooters ever made.

• stile7 says:

Ah yes, everyone remembers their first. I look upon those memories with such fondness… good times…. good times.

11. excel_excel says:

Wait, its Free to Play? MURICA-FACE!

• stile7 says:

Not Free to Play (as in micro-transactions, Pay to Win), it’s just plain free. America the beautiful. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Frag away.

12. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I played the old America’s Army and, to my surprise, found it to be rather entertaining. Far more realistic than most shooters. I remember it took me quite a while to actually complete the sniper training (hit a lot of targets within a certain amount of time, can’t miss more than a certain amount of times).