The Next Hour Is Starbound Hour

By Craig Pearson on August 30th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

I’m very sad: there are people out there playing Starbound and they are not me, and unless you part of the development team, some of the Yogscast, or an evil hacker, then they are most likely not you. Are you sad, too? Would that sadness you’re feeling to end? I can’t really help with that, because a hug from another sad person is usually wet and broken. Best I can do is post an hour of footage of the game and fake a smile. This is taken from a presentation at Insomnia Gaming Festival, where three of the internet’s popular Let’s Players gave the first proper public demonstration of the space-faring co-op adventure game.

It’s looking really good. A silly, co-operative procedurally-generated adventure game. The team beam from their orbiting ship down to an alien planet of throbbing mushroom trees and odd looking alien blobs. They start hacking away at things with space swords, before building a base out of a discovered dungeon. As you’d imagine, that plan is soon abandoned in favour of sleeping a tent and wandering the world they’ve discovered.

They start playing about two minutes in.

It looks pretty slick. Good enough for it to hit its 2013 release window. You might as well just released it

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. dE says:

The best part about this was reading the Forums shortly after it happened. Blockbased Games can attract curious amounts of rage over the most miniscule of things.

I enjoyed the look at the game. Didn’t much enjoy the forced humour of the Youtubers (well it came across as such to me) but that didn’t detract from the game at all. Looking lovely, can’t wait.

• latina168 says:

my co-worker’s step-sister makes $60 an hour on the laptop. She has been out of a job for seven months but last month her pay was $16395 just working on the laptop for a few hours. site ………………http://goo.gl/Q7yvka

2. Russianranger says:

One of those games I’ve been following for a loonnnggg time and can’t wait to release. However, like many other folks, I felt the demoing of it could have been done a tad more professionally. It was quite frustrating at parts and I ended up just skipping ahead five minutes at a time to skip the “humor.” Maybe I’m just old and jaded. Maybe all these kids need to get off my lawn with their fancy humor and dubstep.

• guygodbois00 says:

Most definitely. Off with their “humor” and “dance”. But the game itself intrigues me. especially if it could be played solo as Terraria.

• Meridian99 says:

I don’t know if someone said it already but you can play this solo.

• SnowCrash says:

But Forced Humor is what the Yogscast do?
      *Welcomes the hate*

• Jenks says:

Mercifully I’ve had the 4 pack preordered for months, so I don’t need to find out what a yogcast is.

3. mechabuddha says:

I think I only need to say one thing about this: it has penguins with rocket launchers driving tanks.

4. Tei says:

This is going to be fun. The internet is going to die. @ or maybe not? The development has ben really quiet and smooth, maybe the hype engine is not on overdrive here.

I like that you can dig a lot of blocks quickly. Much better than terraria there.

• Russianranger says:

Well I wouldn’t say quiet in the sense that you don’t know what they’re on about, but definitely quiet in a commercial sense. They have a day to day to Dev Blog about what they’ve been cooking up. And it’s been day to day since their successful pre-order run! Go over to their site to check it out. Pretty stellar work!

5. Nevard says:

Don’t you love it when people who are meant to be presenting and demonstrating a game don’t even read the text that tells them what to do and so you have to watch them struggle to do things that have been explained to them?

6. Liudeius says:

This is exactly why this video shouldn’t have been published.
    This video is the only official (near) feature-complete playthrough which hasn’t been immediately deleted by the devs (normally they stream, then delete the video after).

So now, the most complete video, and soon to be most popular video, advertising Starbound is 40 minutes of Sips and Sjin’s clueless dicking around, and 10 minutes of actual gameplay.

It’s not about whether you like the Yogscast or not, this is just a terrible demonstration of the game.
    But it’s also the ONLY one.

• pRiM8 says:

A quick search on youtube would suggest that it isn’t the only video demonstrating what the game is about.

There are videos and recorded streams going as far back as 1 year showcasing different features of the game.

• Liudeius says:

It’s the only near feature-complete OFFICIAL video of Starbound.

There are other official videos, but they usually only show one feature (lighting, water).

• Exkaiser says:

What about the 45 min i49 broadcast with Legris? That’s still on both twitch and youtube.

7. huldu says:

At first glance it looks like it *might* be fun. Then I start to think about terraria and… I lose interest for some reason. What might make this game even better than terraria is if they actually keep updating it. Can’t say for sure how good or bad the game is until you’ve played it yourself, that’s for sure.

• Assaf says:

the thing is, with its procedural generation and TONS of in game items and unique ones, it should keep your interest longer than terraria.
      also easy modding is already almost all in if i recall correctly. so variety wise, it’s gonna be huge and never-ending – because both of the procedural generation and mod support.

bglamb says:

Terraria is due another big update next month.

• Lemming says:

I’m of the same mind, but only because I quit Terraria after half an hour. Not being able to look at my inventory or figure out how to do things because of being under constant attack by blobs is not my idea of fun.

This looks better, but I’m still wary.

• theoriginaled says:

Dude. Build a house first this time.

• Lemming says:

It was in trying to build a house that all this was happening. Having never touched the game before, you still have to look at your inventory in detail, and still have to get used to the controls.

• Malk_Content says:

You should give it a shot. Spawn, dig a hole six squares straight down, place a single block above your head and then you have all the time in the world to do whatever it is you need to do to get comfortable with a game.

• Lemming says:

@Malk_Content That’s how I got started with Minecraft, and I found it a lot easier to figure out. In Terraria’s case, I may as well wait for Starbound now, I think.

• Tei says:

Terraria is one of the best games of the last year. Comparable to Minecraft. Your post is laugdable, comparable to somebody saying “Yea, I tried Minecraft, but I got killed after 30 minutes by a creeper, so I quit”. Randomness events is part of the charm of true sandbox games like Terraria or Minecraft. To give Terraria a decent shot, you have to at least play enough to kill the first boss.

• Lemming says:

@Tei

“Your post is laugdable, “

Is that word laughable or laudable? I’ll assume the former: A creeper may or may not turn up in Minecraft. Terraria’s blobs are constant, numerous and unrelenting. It’s not the same thing at all. The learning curve is night and day. Granted, now that I know my way around Minecraft, I could probably use similar tactics in Terraria, but I played Terraria first, and it just pissed me off. Glad you got a laugh out of it though. I imagine it was a ray of sunshine in an otherwise dreary life.

jrodman says:

@Lemming: Terrarria sure could have done a lot to make it easier to figure out.

The item management scheme is fairly obtuse. There’s no good in-game way to learn how to make stuff. Tabbing into the wiki while being attacked was pretty tedious.

It’s kind of weird how the minecraft-inspired games insisted on keeping the bad UI elements from minecraft. Surely making new games will reach out to new audiences, not just recreate the same game for the same players?

• Behrditz says:

It might not have been a feature at launch, but I know that at least NOW, Terraria has an option to pause the game when you are in your inventory. It helped me out immensely.

8. Meridian99 says:

I don’t think they were that bad. They are silly and all, but you can see a lot of what makes the game great.

9. Noviere says:

Game looks like it could be great, but I can’t watch more than 5 minutes of those people “being funny.”

10. Orageon says:

It’s just that it was frustrating. They get the chance to play around a somewhat solid build and all they can think of is troll around like teens. Probably frustrating for devs too in a way to see that instead of trying to progress, the dudes prefer to kill each other’s tents. But well, to each his own experience and sense of humor.
    Still, it’s better than nothing and confirms that this game is on good tracks to become a great spiritual successor of terraria.
    I loved terraria, wheter solo at first then with friends (wil enjoy the next big terraria update), and I can’t wait to acquire starbound to explore, build, and have fun on those many planets.
    All the objects they plan to provide will fuel the crafting and the “social” interactions (playing instruments with customized tunes, firecamps chairs etc), seem to make the scope of the game way past what terraria had, which was already very nice value for the game price.
    Really excited about this one !!

• Tei says:

Oh my god. The people like you that make that comment are incredible obtuse. The video shows a group of people playing like old friends, having contagious fun, maybe trolling a littel. Lets Play are not about Quake Speedruns, or Competitive League. Is not about playing games the most efficient way possible. Get in your mind that a LP player is about fun, not efficiency. Efficiently is not always the most important thing. If you want to get mathematically minded. A uneficient player that is having fun, and need more time to complete the game, but pay the same money than you for the game, is getting more fun for his money than you.

• Grargh says:

Well, in this case the video was recorded to present a game to an audience, not to show everyone what great fun some would-be VIP guys are capable of having. Sadly, over all their shallow ADHD-mucking about, they completely waste the opportunity. What we end up with learning about the game could have been shown in five minutes, and probably still have been more ‘fun’.

• Rollin says:

Yeah I don’t mind some comedy but the two who’s screens you see just seemed to act like they didn’t care and kept screwing it up intentionally.

• Morcane says:

If you think the CrapCast guys were funny and they’re like your old friends, you need to get new old friends.