Everquest Next Videos Reveal Fantasy Handsomeness

By Jim Rossignol on September 2nd, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Forthcoming MMO genre-shaker Everquest Next, and it’s building sub-game/precursor Landmark, have been fleshed out in a little more detail over at Seattle mega-con, PAX, thanks to the machinations of PC Gamer. You can examine the videos from this reveal with your own Eye Of Sauron, below. The first shows some movement through the world of next, and the second shows a little bit more of what we can expect from Landmark’s sandboxian engine.

If all this is greek to you, then have a look at Adam’s feature, which first revealed the new game.

And that building thing in Landmark:

Exciting stuff. The PC Gamer article also suggested that there will be a “deep simulated” economy. That interests me in unhealthy ways.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Screwie says:

It does look lovely, but I wish ProSieben weren’t going to be handling the EU servers.

Fingers crossed SOE will reconsider (they have publicly acknowledged the negative feedback for this decision, at least), or I’ll be able to play EQN on a US account.

2. GameCat says:

At least, a breeze of fresh air in old, dusty, copycat genre. That free running itself is fun enough to try it.

BTW it’s gonna be F2P or subscription based?

• DarkLiberator says:

F2P I believe.

I thought the F2P system in Planetside 2 was okay. Though you had to grind for different guns, but all the basic guns you got were great.

• Keymonk says:

It will definitely be F2P.

• tungstenHead says:

It is F2P for certain. SOE has a track record that’s all over the map for F2P implementation, though. The noise they’ve made so far hints at it being consumer friendly, but who really knows at this point?

• mwoody says:

As a Planetside 2 player, I’ve learned to watch for double- or even triple-point days, then cash in Walmart cards. The walmart cards are $15 for $20 worth of points, and it will double/triple the TOTAL, so you can get $60 worth of credit for $15.

Might be worth keeping an eye out because, if it’s like PS2, they’re loathe to do one of these soon AFTER launch. But if you stocked up beforehand…

3. bstard says:

Hypehypehype.. f2p.

• tungstenHead says:

I find it really hard to calibrate my hype for this game, honestly. I mean, SOE’ve demonstrated the voxel stuff already, they’ve demonstrated the “heroic movement”, and they’ve demonstrated some of the combat. They’ve got an excellent piece of technology licensed to help them run the AI, they’ve shown off character customization concept art that includes ladydwarf beards, they have proven they can make simulated economies with SWG, and they’ve proven they can do some incredible network technology with Planetside 2. Most of the components that they have been bragging about are things that SOE have shown they can do. The AI is the biggest question mark right now because the Storybricks stuff hasn’t been seen in the wild too much yet.

I guess the closest comparison point isn’t other MMORPGs, but probably something more like Spore? Cool tech and great ideas, but can it all come together and be fun to play?

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah. F2P at least means being able to dip into this to take a gander at the tech.

I hope it’s a good game just because I want it succeed for putting so many clever things together.

4. Tei says:

Movement is about 60% of what make a game great to play. I don’t understand why don’t get more love in videogames.

This looks great, but I can already see from here that desert zones will be more popular than jungles and other settings, so people will zip around like circus demons. I love this.

5. onodera says:

I’m not that impressed by the movement. Maybe it’s a breakthrough for an MMO, but I’ve been spoiled by the more realistic interaction with the environment in games like Mirror’s Edge (I have to admit, it was a pain to play). And I want more. Show me a game where you have to clamber up a slope instead of zig-zagging or slide down it on your arse instead of gliding down on your heels listening to a looping landing sound.

Comment on this story