Free As In Vlambeer

By Craig Pearson on September 2nd, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Not even being the world’s unluckiest game developers can stop the rampaging juggernaut that is Vlambeer. Today is the developer’s third birthday, and because it looked like they’d never make it this far, they’re in the mood to celebrate. Over on their blog, they’re giving away two free games. The previously only partly released Gun Godz is now available for everyone, and the prototype that’s forming the basis for their upcoming Wasteland Kings is free for all as well. Luftrausers was there, but the keys have already been nabbed. You should’ve been quicker.

Gun Godz, a strange, hip-hop infused Wolfenstein was initially only released to Kickstarter backers of Venus Patrol. It’s not a big game, so the video below shows quite a lot of it. I’d have a peek and then load it up. It’s good.

Wasteland Kings is a roguelike about mutants fighting through a post-apocalyptic wasteland, collecting guns and growing new limbs as they go. It was previously only available as part of the Mojam 2 Bundle, but with that now defunct, you can get it from their site for naught.

What can you do if you want to support them? They have keys for the official soundtrack, but you can also buy it if it’s already gone. And there’s an upcoming artbook that you can register your interest for. You don’t need to buy it, but I expect it will be lovely.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. rustybroomhandle says:

I think The Indie Stone still holds the title. If not I shall go punch one of them in the face per chance to restore their position.

• JFS says:

Are they even still alive and available for punching?

• Axyl says:

Yes, very much so. Project Zomboid is progressing nicely, and they’re now making steps to get Steam keys sorted as they’ve been Greenlit. :)

Clavus says:

I’m currently following game development education in the same city the Vlambeer guys did, but they dropped out and started making great indie games fulltime and being famous and shit. Spoke to Rami during a university BBQ a few months back.

They are the reason I sometimes feel like I’m wasting my time with education.

3. ElwoodAllen says:

While Gun Godz looks fun, I can’t seem to play it. When I select the first level, the character immediately fires his gun and the game crashes before I can do anything. Anyone else having this problem?

The Wasteland King prototype tends to crash a lot too, though I can at least play some of the game. What I did play was pretty fun, so I’m looking forward to see how the final (hopefully more stable) product will look.

• allthingslive says:

You should try re-extracting the files to a good place and maybe run as administrator or run in compatibility mode for XP 2 or 7

• ThTa says:

I’m experiencing the same problem and already tried all of that. It didn’t help.

I suspect it’s because I’m on Windows 8, but I’m away from my Win7 PC, so I’ve got no way to check.

Shame, it looks like a lot of fun.

Rikard Peterson says:

Ooh – good title for the article!

5. allthingslive says:

I just want to say that Wasteland Kings is amazing! GunGodz is great too, but Wasteland Kings has huge potential, I can easily see it being a big hit.
    I don’t really follow the Indie scene too much, but Vlambeer seem like one of the best indie developers out there right now. They consistently put out amazing stuff (I think it’s mostly the controls, their games feel so interactive and clean), I would have died if I got one of those Luftrauser keys.

6. Phasma Felis says:

The blog says GUN GODZ is for Windows and Mac, but the download only has a Windows executable. It is a sadness. :(

Also, if anyone is jonesing for Luftrausers, you can still find the original free game Luftrauser (singular) here: http://www.vlambeer.com/?p=496