Like Herding Dwarves: Bravada

By Ben Barrett on September 2nd, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Recent days have taught me the importance of specific word-choice. One such expression that I’ve been warded off is ‘unique’ as it’s incredibly dangerous (without having played every game ever) to describe anything in the medium as such. You’re open to correction, mockery and having half a fish put through your mailbox. Not the good half, neither. That said, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anything quite like Bravada. It’s a turn- and party-based tactical RPG with an incredibly light heart but some rather interesting elements. There’s a free demo you can try here and a trailer with some more details down there.

Moving as a one, you control your squad’s formation and direction. They then attack in an order based on speed, with a togglable pop-up showing who will go when. Standard level ups, class choices and equipment are present, but take on a new light in the wake of other mechanics. Do you want a range character with less damage, allowing it to support from the middle of the pack? Or do you need a tank, that can be put out as a scout and absorb some hits? Normal peasants can pick a role when they reach certain milestones, while the main character gets to increase his stats.

What’s really interesting is the ankh system that gifts the ability to clone of one of your party whenever another dies. This is just one of many items that keep the game fresh as you progress. It may sound a little dull, but it’s faster paced than you might imagine. You’re always progressing forward, but moving characters around your formation is vital. Letting the pace get ahead of you is a fatal mistake too – this is not a walk in the park and misusing items or poorly managing health will lead to death.

There’s no word of release yet, but you can give it a vote on Greenlight if you enjoy the demo, and pre-order on the main site if you’re so inclined.

, .

1. Shadowcat says:

… and having half a fish put through your mailbox. Not the good half, neither.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but all I can think of is Red Dwarf’s cat’s better-than-life mermaid.

2. Kollega says:

Since the dev team is Ukrainian, i wonder if major players from Slavic mythology (Zmey Gorynych, Baba Yaga, Koschei the Deathless) are going to make cameo appearances in the game.

3. frightlever says:

So that’s the third person representation of the first person party-based RPGs of yore, like Wizardry and Might and Magic. And then it became Teris or something. Had the sound off.

4. Shadrach says:

I really like the cute art style here, even though I rarely go for these kinds of games. Might give it a go.

5. cptgone says:

so, there’s a right choice between heads and tails?
    i prefer the fillet myself, but to each his own i guess ;)

• The Random One says:

I think it’s a trick question, or maybe like a Zen koan. If you have a fish cut in two and you need to choose the worst half, cut each half again and take the quarter with the head and the quarter with the tail. Together, those are the worst half.

6. Parhelion says:

Ben, thanks for a great preview!

My name is Ivan and I’m artist and game-designer at Interbellum. Should say we never trying to hide that Battle of Tiles is inspiration source for our combat system. It is mentioned on our web-site. We take it, improve and own ideas.

Bravada is our first project and we trying as hard as we can to make fun and polished game with a bit of innovation. Unfortunately, many players see it as simple f2p iOS title. That’s sad.

Thanks everyone who support us. Even a few kind words is a great help for us.