At Blast: Wolfenstein: The New Order Footage

By Craig Pearson on September 3rd, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Hooray! A smidge of Wolfenstein: The New Order footage has hopped out of Gamescom. The American company’s game by a Swedish developer was shown in Germany and a British website has posted the footage! All it needs are my words around it and you have games journalizmz happening. Jim grumbled about the new Wolfenstein in his Gamescom preview, which is strange because at one point the player gets to dual-wield assault rifles. Now I’ve seen Jim’s bucket list, and all it has on it is “dual-wield assault rifles” written over and over and over, so it’s surprising that this doesn’t seem to be for him. But the footage does seem to play out his worries. Can Creative Director Jens Matthies’ interspersed chit-chat convince us of the game’s worth? Warning: the video has violence and vomit, the ‘double V’ of adult situations.

I’m a bit surprised that it doesn’t show off the new laser weapon that you will use to cut holes in cover, and slice open secrets and national socialists. The weapons are meaty and do look like fun things to shoot (and shoot and shoot), but we’ve all wielded them before. A slicey gun that enables you to carve holes in the scenery is pretty new (unlike Tiny and Big, which slices bits off the scenery). Here’s the video.

Aha! I finally got to do one of those bait and switch posts! But seriously, here’s Wolfy.

Thanks, VeeGeeTwentyFourSeven.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Njordsk says:

Pad aiming at its finest !

2. SHiT says:

I’m shaken. It’s disgusting how this game takes historic events among the most tragic in the history of humankind and turns them into some sort of gore feast. And even more so as it uses the amplification of these events to dehumanize your adversaries and “justify” their treatment just as the Nazis did with those they considered not worthy of being human.

I’ve seen a lot in the last 25 years, but I’d like to vomit now.

• bstard says:

Shit man, would you please disconnect yourself from the internet during those days of the month. Thank you very much.

• qrter says:

“those days of the month”..? What are you on about?

• SHiT says:

Why should I? I was merely expressing my opinion on this. And as a guy who has played his fair share of shooters I was rather surprised by it, too, but this just went beyond a certain point for me. Or is it because my comment made you feel uncomfortable?

• Samwise Gamgee says:

I agree with you, I find it sad how sick and disturbing some forms entertainment have become and saddening how most people seem to be fine with it.

• Trent Hawkins says:

Americans just like to pretend that they fought off the Nazis.

• gunny1993 says:

Pretty much the same as every other game where you have to kill a bad person then.

An eye for an eye makes a fun FPS

• Bull0 says:

If this is the worst thing you’ve seen in the last 25 years, I’d love to know where you’ve been living so I can move there with my kids. Sounds idyllic.

aleander says:

Worst thing? Not by far. More likely, just like incidentally me, you’re no longer an uncritical teenager that’s just happy to be pointed at something and have a plausibly-justified power fantasy.

• goettel says:

Fiction, learn it.

• SHiT says:

Worst thing. It is not the worst as in regards to what is shown, I’m sure the Internets and maybe every video rental has worse, yet it is among the worst in regards to the justification of what ends the events shown are shown.

Fiction, learn it. What made this so disturbing is exactly that it crosses the line between facts and fiction apparently without deeper reflection about exactly these facts and their possible relationship to said fiction. Maybe you got one or two things to learn yourself…

An FPS – to me – is about reflexes, about skill, about tactics, outperforming and outsmarting people or AIs. It is not about the ongoing trend to dehumanization and senseless brutality this genre is seemingly heading to.

stahlwerk says:

Heading to?

These are exactly the same concerns that were voiced about Wolfenstein 3D when that came out. I’m not saying that disqualifies them as antiquated, unfounded or dumb… I’m just saying, really.

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, I remember the original being a bit controversial at the time. On the other hand, showing the big bad Nazis as pixellated cartoons keeps them at an emotional distance, compared to the more photorealistic stuff they’re showing here.

The Nazis are still fairly close to the current era, so arguments about “what about Rome Total War” etc. don’t really apply. There are still people with families that have memories of this. Not saying a game like this shouldn’t exist, and I’m pretty immune to it myself, but I can understand a reaction against it.

• Ultra Superior says:

Have you forgotten about “MODERN WARFARE” ?

Fantasy about big bad nazis in hugo boss uniforms is NOTHING compared to the glorification of war that’s based on lies and that gets people killed every day for 12 years straight since 2001.

Cheers.

• Tasloi says:

“What made this so disturbing is exactly that it crosses the line between facts and fiction apparently without deeper reflection about exactly these facts and their possible relationship to said fiction.”

Fair enough, as long as you realize that showing this deeper reflection isn’t a prerequisite.

• goettel says:

Nazi robots crossing the line between fact(s) and fiction? Alrighty then.

Look man, I’m sure you become equally as mad when confronted with fictionalized crusaders (who killed millions), communists (who killed more millions than the nazi’s, and more recently), scientists (killed and cured millions) and the (damned) French (millions, and they enjoy snails, the bastards), but maybe you should just make your life easier by not looking at fiction(!) which offends you personally. Just don’t pretend like that’s due to some sacrosanct morality though – it’s just taste.

• Bull0 says:

^

• SHiT says:

It is astonishing by how far you miss my actual point (and then go on rambling and muttering wild speculation) it is not about Nazis in general or Nazi robots. It is about the killing of people in the hospital which is then used to justify the butchering of your adversaries. Both follow the same rationale, the facists killing the “sub-human” patients and you killing the “sub-human” Nazis. And here I think the story crosses the line between fact and fiction with an unawareness that I find disgusting. Reducing this down to a question of “taste” does, and I beg you pardon, reveal a lot about your intellectual capabilities… maybe you’re still young, let’s hope not only pubic hair grows…

As to having had the same debate with Wolfenstein 3D, well, I think neither the storytelling nor the graphic representation where as elaborate as here, and I assume that is why this specific trailer provoked that reaction. As we’re heading towards photorealism this kind of event might occur more often, as it is a very different thing of smashing pixels in Hotline Miami or slaughtering near pixel-perfect representations of people.

• goettel says:

@ShiT: again, for your benefit (I’m kind like that): no it really, really doesn’t cross into fact, it’s still just fiction

Also, you can’t argue for shit (no pun), so resort to insults – maybe you are just a troll, or just very shut-in. So (again): don’t look at something that upsets you, and leave tough (fictional) subject matter to adults, and you won’t have to worry or write shit comments about it.

• Samwise Gamgee says:

It is depicting some events that did not take place and some events that did actually take place in the course of history so of course it is crossing over into fact. The rationale used to justify the slaughtering of the Nazi soldiers is the same being used today in the real world for the US and other countries to slaughter innocent civilians including women and children in many countries, that being that they live in countries that harbour so called terrorists, and so I am also unconfortable with this being presented as entertainment.

Being exposed to entertaiment like this inevitably causes desensitisation amongs the worlds population and creates a higher degree of tolerance to the real atrocities being commited the world over right now, in real life, so it is not just harmless fun.

• SHiT says:

Arguing is not about ignoring your opponents argument and bluntly rephrasing the same judgement devoid of a counter-argument but rich with assumptions and allegations ad hominem. So, I’d be happy to hear your actual counter to the argument I now should have explained to you sufficiently.

Be my guest.

• Bull0 says:

Honestly if you want to talk about morality, limiting someone else’s artistic expression on the grounds of your personal outrage is distinctly immoral.

• SHiT says:

That would indeed be morally questionable. But did I did not suggest to limit this artistic expression, I merely pointed out that I was utterly disgusted by it.

• Bull0 says:

Righto. Talking about something as being outrageous and disgusting but also defending to the death its right to exist. That’s not confusing.

• SHiT says:

It’s funny how you misrepresent with each of your posts the content of my posts and then try to find contradictions in your suppositions instead of providing any argument of your own.

Do you know Schoppenhauer? Have you read him?

• Bull0 says:

It isn’t remotely funny or a thing that’s happening. And no, I have no idea who that is.

• SHiT says:

Sure it is. You think I’d do this if I considered it tedious?

Go look him up, and then better luck next time.

• Synesthesia says:

True this. This is bullshit. I had to stop this… thing. It’s quite the bullshit.

• Theory says:

Evil bad guys turning into comedy bad guys is a perfectly normal part of living memory turning into history. Or are you going to moan about Rome 2 as well? What about War of the Roses with its incredibly disrespectful Brian Blessed voice-over DLC?

Taking this game into a care home would be offensive. Making it for young adults is not.

• Bhazor says:

In 50 years Assad is basically going to be like Joker in the original Tim Burton Batman film. Riding a zeppelin in the shape of his own head, cackling and eating great shovels of lamb curry as he pours bright purple gas over a crowded metropolis.

• gunny1993 says:

Gaddafi already does look like the Joker in that film

• The Random One says:

Fifty? I give it fifteen. In fifty years he’ll be trivia.

• Kollega says:

I think there’s a very important point to be raised here. Nazis-as-comedic-bufoons is an acceptable, even needed thing, because ridiculing them is a sure-fire way to deprive Nazis of any remaining power. But Nazis-as-over-the-top-exploitation-film-villains, who kill and torture people in gruesome detail as to justify the player then killing and torturing THEM in gruesome detail is not a very good idea, as discussed up above.

• Lucid says:

Cool troll.

• TheIronSky says:

Indeed. It’s as if nobody here has seen a Quentin Tarantino film in their lifetimes.

ffordesoon says:

Pssh, Tarantino? If only. I loved Basterds, and this still made me queasy. Because there appears to be no artistry, intelligence, wit, or nuance to it, and yet it seems determined to undercut even the base visceral pleasures of a Wolfenstein game with its relentlessly grimdark tone. The wacky fun of dual assault rifles and Nazi robots is undercut by the humorless brutality of the cutscenes. It’s trying to be Inglourious Basterds without understanding why Inglourious Basterds worked.

• Lucid says:

Looks fun as hell to me, the brutality of the cutscenes with these asshole Nazis only makes killing them even sweeter.

• TheIronSky says:

So terrible. He killed that Nazi in cold blood after he murdered all of those people. He was just trying to do his job and slaughter unarmed humans. And Hitler was such a sensitive man, too. He had low testosterone due to his single testicle and decided to put his skills to use as a painter, and then in his later years towards massacring millions of human beings. Why can’t we just have a game where we talk about our feelings with the Nazis? That’d fit much better with my 21st century delusions I formulated based on my incredibly convenient lifestyle where I am not subjugated for my religious beliefs.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Crumbs, don’t ever watch reruns of ‘Allo ‘Allo, you’ll be horrified.

• Gryz says:

New Order ? That’s actually Joy Division, with a new name (and without a singer). Joy Division, which was the Prostitution part in Nazi concentration camps. The circle is round.

Gonna play my old New Order CDs for the rest of the day. Almost forgotten I had them. Thanks, Craig !

• LostViking says:

I don’t completely disagree, it is definitely bad taste, but how can you be shocked by this?

There are already dozens or more games, and countless movies, where the nazis are portrayed as bad guys. The original Wolfenstein, where the main boss is a robot version of Hitler, is hardly any better (just much poorer graphics).

• Zenicetus says:

Sure, but the difference between what they’re showing here, and say, the Nazis in the first Raiders of the Lost Ark film is the reference to real events like the persecution and execution of mental patients, the ashes under the floor grate, etc.

When heavy shit like that is juxtaposed with silliness and fun like BFG’s and mech suits, it can seem like throwaway window dressing, bordering on being disrespectful of the victims. Raiders of the Lost Ark didn’t need specific references to gas chambers to have fun with using the Nazis as bad guys.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

“bordering on being disrespectful of the victims”

But slapstick isn’t? Because that’s generally how the Nazis are portrayed in Indiana Jones movies. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest, I’m just questioning your distinction between the two styles.

• Zenicetus says:

Slapstick goes all the way back to Charlie Chaplain and the Disney cartoon versions of Nazis during WW2. It’s not disrespectful of the victims when it’s just using Nazis as buffoons, and not dealing with the actual atrocities they committed.

This is something else; it’s gratuitous use of the real historical horrors (particularly that cold killing episode in the mental hospital) as a backdrop for what would otherwise be a fun, over-the-top shooter. It’s like the devs didn’t know what kind of game they wanted to make.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

It is making light of a horrible period in history, surely that is offensive?

3. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Looks very good, as long as the gameplay is up to it it could well be a classic like Half Life.

4. MrThingy says:

“wot did yoo fookin’ dae???” – ahaha, love the banter.

I’m actually quite excited by this. It tingles my FPS wang.

Gap Gen says:

I need to find an archive of the PC Gamer back pages – I remember one “Return to Castle Wittgenstein” where the players had to defeat monsters with philosophy, proving logically that they couldn’t exist, etc.

6. staberas says:

oh c’mon fck you, Its impossible to duel yield assault rifles (trust me i did it once) let alone shoot those damn thing straight, they should just made it impossible to hit any target just for the lolz.

• goettel says:

Sure you can, ’cause nazi robots are fact, too.

• staberas says:

Sure they are! *draws a swastika on a toy robot*
        xD

• goettel says:

Not sure if wooosh, but you got robots in, so we’re good.

• The Random One says:

How is it impossible if you’ve done it? Your jig is up, mister or madam.

7. Penguin_Factory says:

I like the old-school over the top shooting, but the storytelling and characterization looks as dumb as a bag of hammers, and the whole thing has a nasty GRITTY GRIMDARK GRRRRR vibe that just reeks of trying too hard.

8. Reapy says:

Man, do you have to aim in games anymore, or do you just need to get the bad guys on screen now a days?

stahlwerk says:

Oh, polish and german native speakers in a video game? Colour me suprised! But why then did they opt for a dyootch speaking main baddie?

Edit, also: goodbye does not translate to “owf weeda-seyn” but rather “leybwoal”.

• Disillusion3D says:

The languages seem quite solid which is rather unusual.

As for the good bye; it’s a common translation. “C’ya” kind of lacks the gravitas, if you know what I mean ;-)

Also, I totally expected the bad guy to exit with a “Heil Hydra!” ;-D

10. rockman29 says:

It looks like the ugly sister of Killzone now.

Maybe it just gets lost in translation when the graphics look too realistic. And maybe that’s the problem for this series now. I think it’s an art thing, and also the levels seem to be following too much inspiration from FPS of today. More linear, checkpoints with forced narrative, etc.

The narrative sequences are a little off… not that I find something horrible with the tone, though it is grotesque… but I just want to shoot things in Wolfenstein, no need for a story. Just tell BJ to rescue the princess and that’s good enough imo.

I wish some games would go back to 2D art honestly, glad to know about Vlambeer’s new FPS game, that looks fantastic and just fun :)

When will the just go back to making the free MP version? RTCW: Enemy Territory was one of the coolest and most stylish MP games way back when.

I hope they see that their SP offerings aren’t really breaking the mold very much. I think they could be more successful with a MP game focused simply on fun, rather than gory SP in-game cutscenes.

11. Runs With Foxes says:

Looks like Soldier of Fortune with incongruous emotionscenes.

12. Hegge says:

Wait, they showed this in Germany? Is that allowed? I am german and i always thought displaying swastikas is not allowed for videogames because they are not considered a “cultural” media.

Edit: Also, sadly i will probably not be able to buy this due to that law in Germany. If it releases on Steam we probably get region-locked out.

• N'Al says:

Since it’s a preview event I presume the game hasn’t been rated by the USK yet. Games like Doom were always freely talked about before release too. Just speculating here, though…

Gap Gen says:

Punching and puking. Sparring and spewing. Rumpus and regurgitating. Thisticuffs and throwing up.

ffordesoon says:

I had a longer post about this exercise in artless nastiness about ready to go when my iPad battery ran out. Sigh.

Thankfully, I was able to condense that little ramble into the following high-larious zinger:

If you ever wanted to know what Visionary Director Zack Snyder’s Inglourious Basterds By Visionary Director Zack Snyder would look like, here’s your answer.

15. ssbowers says:

I’m not as smart as other people. I think it looks amazing. I don’t care about storytelling – just give me the BFG.

• cunningmunki says:

Don’t sell yourself short. You can read and write, and have a good grasp of punctuation. I’d say that makes you smarter than most other people.

• ankh says:

I was thinking the same thing as you while reading through these comments and when I got to yours I had a good giggle. As Lucid up there said the gruesome cut scenes are just going to make shooting the nazi men more fun, not less.

16. Radiant says:

Them – “Blazkowitz find the key!”
    Me – “YOU FIND THE KEY YOU FUCKING IDIOT YOU’RE THE ONE STARING AT THE LOCK”
    Me – “WHO PUTS CONTROLS TO INCINERATE A ROOM /INSIDE/ THE ROOM NEXT TO THE BLOODY DOOR?”

Them – “find the key!”

17. Radiant says:

This game looks all over the place.

• Disillusion3D says:

Yeah, to me it looked like there were 3 teams working on this:
      The first one was inspired by the original game.
      The second team was inspired by the uberevil nazis from Captain America and such.
      And the third team watched too much Schindler’s List.

18. Komus says:

This isn’t a PC game. Looks like 5 year “last gen” console rubbish. It’s fine, this franchise peaked at Enemy Territory (RIP) – put it next to Medal of Honor and Call of Duty :)

19. sithmaster says:

I think Reich by Ignition Games would have been better than this.

20. WJonathan says:

Other than the up-close neck-slicing scene (which is fetishistically gruesome), I didn’t find it particularly violent. For modern games that is. What bothers me the most is what appears to be a game bearing the Wolfenstein name which shows little of the charm of the originals. No exploration, no secrets, and none of the weirdness (supernatural meddling, mad Nazi inventions, etc) that defined 3-D and RtCW. The exposition and pseudo-romantic motiviations do nothing for me. The demonstrated corridor shooting looks dull. I’m as justifiably unexcited for this as for Raven’s Wolfenstein.

• cunningmunki says:

I just recently finished Raven’s Wolfenstein, and it was much better than I expected. I had to use a mod called NeuroWolf to remove all the console-port annoyances, like the low FOV, excessive head-bobbing and the ubiquitous console-idiot button tips, but after about 10% into the game, it was really fun. I’d definitely recommend it to any FPS fan.