Incredible! Space Hulk: Deathwing Teased

By Craig Pearson on September 3rd, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

You can tell if a game is going to be great by the logo.
Eschewing the often broken International Laws of Highlander and Vampire Slayers, there is another Space Hulk game in development. A surprisingly swift announcement after the miasma of sadness generated by the recently released strategy game, Space Hulk: Deathwing transposes the corridor-set alien masher into a more appropriate format. It’s a first-person shooter by Streum Studios, the makers of the interesting and flawed E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy. A tiny, mouse-sized teaser trailer is squeaking in the undergrowth. Let’s all disturb it, shall we?

A “more appropriate format” is a joke, btw. Though I am not surprised that a game with corridors, big guns, and aliens is being turned into a shooter. It’ll be made using Unreal Engine 4, the shootiest of all engines, and according to people I’ve never met:

Players take on the role of a Space Marine from one of the most secret and most feared Space Marine Companies: the Deathwing from the Dark Angels. Strap on your Terminator armour and equip the emblematic weaponry of the Space Marines to overcome the threats awaiting you in the Space Hulk. As a Librarian, you will also master the destructive powers of the Psykers. Your skills and performance in battle grant you Fervor Points, to spend on 4 skill trees allowing you to improve your abilities, unlock new powers, access powerful relics and devastating new weapons.

I hope those weapons are a bit more devastating than the weedy bolter in the trailer below. Oh, I won’t make you wait for a release date, because there is none.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Sheng-ji says:

Please be good not terrible, please!!!

Also, I love the dark angels!

• ceriphim says:

For the love of the God-Emperor, ditto! I’ve been hoping for something like this for so long. There are so so SO many ways it could be awesome but so many ways it could be terrible. It almost seems like I should be disappointed ahead of time to get it out of the way…

2. SkittleDiddler says:

Seeing as how E.Y.E was a huge W40K ripoff (in a good way, IMO), this seems appropriate.

• Petethegoat says:

Agreed. The shooting and weight in EYE was really tops, so this seems like a good fit.

• Prime says:

Was E.Y.E good generally? Seems I may have overlooked something I might enjoy.

• RedViv says:

It’s largely passable tech-wise, but the interesting and odd ideas that went into the gameplay are outweighing that by far.

• methodology says:

supremely flawed but had a lot of interesting ideas and unrealized potential.

• derbefrier says:

no it wasn’t very good at all. Don’t waste your money on it. It did have some interesting ideas as others have said but they are just being polite, the game sucked.

• dE says:

E.Y.E. is a weird thing. Superficially, it’s one ugly mess. Strange levels, odd balancing, a storyline that doesn’t necessarily make a whole lot of sense. A lot of bugs at the time of release. At one point, when I wrote that I really liked E.Y.E. a RPS Poster suggested I should be euthanized because I was obviously mentally damaged for enjoying and even suggesting this game.

Well to me, those weaknesses were it’s strengths. The Levels are dystopian dreams chiseled from a drugged cyberpunk mind. The odd balancing meant I could take out armored gunships with a very heavy and loud 4-Shot Revolver. The storyline was intriguing to me as it went from weird to even weirder and what didn’t make sense at first became clear in the end. The bugs were mostly fixed, it received a lot of post-release support including new maps and gamemodes. It’s also frequently on sale.

Grab it during a sale. Don’t go in expecting something, well anything. Especially not a WH40K game. But if you’ve played a bit and tasted the lore for a bit, you’ll see why people make that comparison. And why the studio might actually be a good fit for the IP.

/edit:
          To the one that said folks are just being polite: I played over 40 hours of this and I’m thinking about going back. It’s a love/hate affair, you either love it to death or hate its guts.

• Scumbag says:

Hum… curious. Did you (or anyone else) fully finish the campaign?
            I thought the game was largely nonsense the first loop, then once I restarted and understood the never-ending nature of the game structure (both mechanically and plot wise) it became fascinating. When I finally opened the “Light gate” with all three gate powers and got the true ending (one that essentially explains the dreams) I understood everything suddenly and was mind blown.
            How many other people got the “Dark Secret”?

• Geen says:

Yeah. It starts out confusing, gets even worse, gets to apocalyptic levels of insanity, then it ends with you not knowing who or what just happened, who you are, and who you just killed, and then it suddenly makes (slightly) more sense. Anyhow, I loved the game and am looking forward to this.

• dE says:

Yep, did finish it (with all the steps necessary, read: Powers). As I said, it gets progressively weirder until it clicks and makes sense.
            Although some of the layers are really detrimental to people’s first impression of the game. Like, the reason why the main character starts out being such an ass to everyone. That seemed to put quite a few people off, when it first came out. And to actually “understand” the story, you also need to have been in a very specific out of the way spot. Nonetheless, I liked it.

• Crowbar says:

Personally I really enjoyed the setting and mechanics. I just couldn’t stop playing it until I’d gotten the “real” ending. Coop was excellent fun too. Far too few games let you play through a SP campaign in coop just because it’s fun.

To me it felt like Syndicate meets Deus Ex meets 40k, developed by David Lynch.

I would definitely purchase anything made by the same guys who are prepared to produce something as excellent and risky as E.Y.E.

• Lagwolf says:

E.Y.E. when first released was a buggy piece of crap. The fact the Devs. released the broken game and charged for it means I would never consider buying a game from their studio. The game was just awful in pretty much every way.

• Petethegoat says:

That’s not a particularly uncommon thing, even among AAA studios. And how many AAA studios keep supporting their game with patches two years after release?

• Nick says:

I take it you also never buy TES games then?

• Apocalypse says:

So, no Ubisoft, no Activison. no EA games for you either. No Relict games, no gearbox, etc…

And most important: No The Witcher 3 nor Planescape Torment for you!

• Runs With Foxes says:

The game felt unfinished, but it’s very cool. They’ve released a bunch of patches since I last played.

• Skabooga says:

I picked E.Y.E. up and played through it about six months ago, so I missed all the technical issues that plagued it at launch: it ran as well as any other game when I was playing it. It was a standard but well executed shoot things wot are man, with most of the weapons having a nice, good punch to them. The main draw for me, and the thing that eventually won me over, was just how utterly bizarre and incomprehensible the game was (aided in no small part by the amateur translation). I recognize that might not be enough for everybody, but if was enough for me. I’m more than happy to have paid the five dollars for it in a sale.

• Professor Paul1290 says:

A lot of people say E.Y.E. is “flawed” and that it has “unrealized potential”.
          However, this implies that E.Y.E., bugs and unintended glitches aside, did not turn out the way the developers intended it to be. That’s not really the case.

I think a lot of misunderstandings about E.Y.E. stem from the fact that a lot of people misunderstood what E.Y.E. is supposed to be.

If for some reason you really really want understand the mentality that spawned E.Y.E. and why it is the way it is, here’s my suggestion.
          Install Half-Life 1 if you don’t have it installed.
          After that install and play a bit of Sven Co-op if you haven’t already.
          Then after that go and download and install a little known HL1 mod called “Syndicate Black Ops”. This mod is actually by the devs that made E.Y.E. and is it’s predecessor for most intents and purposes.
          After you play both of those go play E.Y.E. again.
          There’s a good chance that E.Y.E. will suddenly make sense, and its intentions will probably turn out to be not quite as lofty as you might have thought.

That’s a lot of trouble to go through so I guess I’ll attempt a quick summary.

E.Y.E. is NOT a Deus Ex, STALKER, or Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and it was never meant to be. It sort of reaches in that direction but it starts from a different place.
          The notion that E.Y.E. was supposed to be one of those games was even repeatedly shot down by the devs early on, but people wanted a game like that so badly that they were willing to believe that it was one of those games anyway and so eventually they just sort of rolled with it.

I suppose the best way I can try to describe E.Y.E. is that it’s “a Serious Sam from an alternate world where games like Deus Ex, System Shock 2, and STALKER became really big and sold as as much as Call of Duty does in our world”.

It has RPG mechanics, various tools, a hacking system, inventory management, leaning, and all sorts of mechanics we associate with more “sophisticated” games, but these are just means and in this case they are not matched with “sophisticated” ends.
          In this case they’re all there to enhance the end objectives of “killing tons of enemies” and “being a badass”.

E.Y.E. has respawning enemies because if they didn’t respawn you’d run out of enemies to kill. Stealth is not that fleshed out because stealth is not intended as a gameplay approach by itself, it’s just another tool to help you kill more dudes and for that the game’s version of stealth works quite well.
          Hacking lets you do a lot of interesting things, but it’s also meant to be yet another tool you use to be a badass killing machine and not a completely separate play-style.
          The cybernetic and magic themes are not there to provoke deep thought, they’re just there for flavor and to cram in more abilities that you then use to be a badass killing machine.

If that’s not enough “gameplay” for you by itself then you’re probably going to hate the game because that’s what the “gameplay” is and for better or worse that’s what it’s intended to be.
          The game was made by and for people who genuinely find this sort of play to be satisfying.

The confusing plot that people like to speculate about is mostly icing on the cake and excuse to have the sorts of weird locations and maps the game has. It has a story of course but again it’s mostly there to justify sending the player to odd places. Everything else is mostly “rule of cool”.
          The game has magical werewolves and space stoner hippies for pete’s sake, that should have clued people in that this isn’t a super-serious plot or setting!
          There’s a random guy in one of the levels who’s a depressed bandit you can talk into incinerating themselves. He doesn’t exist to change anything, he’s there purely for shits and giggles. That’s a pretty good summary of how “serious” or “deep” the plot is meant to be.

Anyway, there’s my explanation of E.Y.E..
          Interpret that how you will.

• Petethegoat says:

Perfect.

• Kryopsis says:

This is, without a doubt, the best comment I’ve read on RPS this year. E.Y.E. does make a lot more sense if one thinks of it as ‘rule of cool’ as opposed to ‘ultra low-fi Deus Ex’ so you’re probably right.

• Lord Byte says:

This… actually makes sense, the game now actually makes sense to me. Thank you. I actually feel like continuing to play it now (I hated it because nothing seemed to make sense and everything I did seemed futile).

• Scumbag says:

I cant remember who said it, but they commented on how disappointed they were with E.Y.E.’s weak RPG elements and aspects, before then leaping 3 stories and shooting 3 people in the face.

The last I played it there was some joy in using the .444 to make people blow apart or do triple back flips, before teleporting into a large group of enemies, INSIDE one of the enemies (making him explode into gibs) before waving about a sword that caused explosions. The whole game was “I’M FUCKING OVERPOWERED AND GREAT!”

• Professor Paul1290 says:

I guess to solidify the above even more…

One of the updates added AI presets to the options, and one of them is called “SBO”. If you didn’t know what that was, it’s a “Syndicate Black Ops” preset which is a reference to the games predecessor HL1 mod, so it’s basically a “classic” mode of sorts.
            It makes the enemies even more relentless and accurate. Yes it takes what makes the AI annoying to a lot of people and makes it even worse. As bizarre as it might sound, some people like it that way!

Also as sort of a spoiler, there’s this bridge in the home base where you’ve probably noticed random NPCs exploding and dying on. A lot of people think this is a bug of some kind, but it isn’t.

There’s a hidden magical talking werewolf that’s killing them.

I’m not making that up, you even get to meet said magical werewolf in one of the endings. It’s hiding somewhere in that large chamber (if you’re good at jumping you may be able to find and reach it) and it’s exploding people on that bridge, with magic.

Why you might ask? Because it’s fucking hilarious!

3. Jake says:

Sounds like there is a very impatient pig at the door

• Shadowcat says:

Amnesia: A Hulk For Pigs ?

• Orageon says:

Was about to write the same. The trailer could be titled “Plasticator versus the Space Pigs”, if you’d only hear the sound effects.

• Fitzmogwai says:

Piiiiiigs Innnnnn Spaaaaaace!

4. whexican says:

The emperor must be rolling in his golden tomb.

5. Shadowcat says:

Of course along with the “miasma of sadness generated by the recently released strategy game” was the ‘miasma of “WTF Rab?”‘ in the comments thread, where a considerable number of people who had also played the game thought most of his criticisms were crazy.

• Guvornator says:

…and then went to metacritic and thought hmmm, maybe we’ll leave this one for the time being…

• gunny1993 says:

Ahhh metacritic, where people give games a 0/10 because they saw someone who had just bought it double dip the guacamole and salsa.

• jonahcutter says:

Yeah, the miasma surrounding that review came from the poor state of the review itself. Even RPS is capable of issuing the occasional stinker, and that Space Hulk WIT definitely qualifies.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Did anywhere review the game favourably?

• jonahcutter says:

The couple of reviews I’ve read since gave much more balanced reviews.

What they didn’t do is give inane criticisms, like the reviewer missing having another person across the board from him. Something like that is a valid observation of his experience. But it’s not a valid criticism to level against the video game.

• mondomau says:

Links maybe? The only genuinely favourable reviews I’ve seen have been on tabletop forums, generally by the sort of person that fervently believes 18 quid is a fair price for a single plastic toy soldier.

And Rab’s review, while a little too personal and picky, reflected well the disappointment a lot of us felt with what had promised to be a fantastic adaptation, but turned out to be a poorly and unimaginatively-handled conversion.

• Jonfon says:

Favourably? Not really.

6/10 is the highest score I’ve seen. Most reviews I’ve read are just a bit sad about it all really, like when the goldfish that no-one’s really cared about for years in the kitchen dies and everyone thinks “Oh well” *flushing noise*

• tarasis says:

Well it got a 7.3 from http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/08/space-hulk-review

I do think the RPS review was overkill & OTT.

• Guvornator says:

so…7/10 then?

• Jonfon says:

Sorry, I’d never heard of that site before and it’s not listed on Metacritic .

Looking at some of their other PC reviews for things I’ve owned or tried they do seem relatively generous with their scores.

• Everblue says:

Just because the game as a whole may have received negative reviews does not mean that Rob’s negative review was well written, pitched appropriately or was even useful to a person considering whether to buy the game. Rather it was more of a hysterical paean to the boardgaming experience.

There were much more balanced and helpful opinions on the game in the reader comments to the article.

• Baines says:

Rob’s review seemed fair enough and was useful to me.

The things that he was negative about were things that would bug me.

• Rizlar says:

Seems entirely appropriate to compare SPACE HULK with the original boardgame when it is such a direct translation.

Hopefully Deathwing will turn out to be more Faith, less Kendra.

• andytt66 says:

The thing is… Rob pretty much nailed it. It’s just not that fun a game to play. It just feels.. empty and clunky.

I would have been irked had I paid full price for it. (Gift, not hook-handed discount).

On the plus side, now that I have a copy of Space Hulk I feel absolutely no guilt in also owning a copy of the Alien Assault + Space Hulk Mod that was linked to near the end of the comments in Robs WIT. Which is absolutely brilliant.

6. Prime says:

Yes, please. Wannabedeathwing, please.

7. RedViv says:

Oh, nice. EYE was already rather WH40K-ish, so Streum On Studio seem a really good team for this.

8. kdz says:

I have a hunch that this will actually be pretty good.

• Whiskey Jak says:

Well, I’d like to say the same. But it said Cyanide in the beginning (I know they’re not the (primary?) devs). The quality of Cyanide’s games, the way they treat their customers and the lacks of improvement from one title to the other is giving me pause. This will be a wait and see for me.

9. Gap Gen says:

His gun is so tiny! Or he’s huge. But both.

• jonfitt says:

His gun is huge, he is hugererer.

• Gap Gen says:

Reminds me of Supreme Commander, where huge robot + zoom = tiny robot. Point being that the game often lacked sufficient reference objects to make huge robots actually look huge, since as the units get bigger you naturally zoom out to compensate.

• SanguineAngel says:

This is pretty sad of me but a marine in Terminator armour is supposedly approx. 9 feet tall. Unarmoured marines being genetically engineered super humans are about 7 feet and in normal power armour (unlike the terminator armour in Space hulk) would be between 7 1/2 – 8 feet tall.

The bolt gun (storm Bolter I think?) that the terminator is using is pretty meaty and big. But the terminator is huge and so it looks like large hand gun. Given to a normal puny Imperial Guard (standard human) it would be unmanageable.

• Dave Tosser says:

Compare Space Marine’s 2nd Lieutenant Mira with Cap’n Titus. Then scale Titus up a bit.

• Gap Gen says:

OK, cool, so we agree that:
        a) The gun is big but the man is bigger
        b) It still suffers from bodybuilder penis syndrome, which is where even if the penis is still a decent size, it looks silly on a 300kg meat sculpture.

10. Haplo says:

WH40k’s forays into FPSes are generally fairly average, but Space Hulk is a weird thing. Any Space Hulk FPS would be more along the lines of a kind of survival horror- generally speaking, when you’re a large, slow-moving tank man, and your enemies are quick, fast creatures that hiss in the claustrophobic darkness…

The first two Space Hulk games were good at the atmosphere, especially the first one which also used the Deathwing Company. It was still essentially a squad-based tactical game, using real time w/pause functions; the trick is that, whilst you could give orders continuously using this map, your ‘pause’ had a timer on it which would unpause when it ran out, and it’d take awhile for your ‘freeze’ to refill. This made things very frantic and terrifying, especially when things begin to go wrong.

Those games also had some FPS elements to it as well. You always controlled one Terminator- you had to control him yourself, whilst the rest of your squad would move automatically. You could see from the viewpoints of your four other Terminators on the main screen, and could swap to them at will, though. If they died, their screens would go all staticky, and if their demise was surprising or unexpected, it could be incredibly terrifying, especially when the dominoes begin to fall and your other men die one by one…

Made even worse if you had a full 10 men, as each screen only showed the viewpoints of 1 squad (5 men), so if you wanted to see what your other 5 men were doing, you had to jump your viewpoint over to their squad…

• Guvornator says:

I was rather hoping the new version would recreate that, rather than the boardgame. I never played enough the older version, but that was because i was quite young and found it a little too intense. that suicide level was good, though.

• Haplo says:

I can sympathise. I myself first played it as a ten year old and found it just too terrifying.

• SillyWizard says:

Okay the Space Hulk games did this, and another game did something similar. Guns for Hire? (I expect that’s not the correct title, though I believe it’s something like that.)

Anyway, it was another game which placed the player in control of 4 characters, and the screen was split into either of their FP-viewpoints.

I would love to see an update on that theme. I think there’s another more recent game that does something similar as well in a more cartoony, TF2 style. Can’t remember that one’s name, either! Sigh.

11. Antsy says:

In space no one can hear you squeal.

12. VCepesh says:

A bizarre development. I find myself increasingly struggling, trying to find rhyme and reason in the way that GW handles their IP. At the very least, just like Imperium itself, Warhammer 40k as a setting is too large and too old to be ruined by even the most callous handling and mismanagement at the hands of it’s creators.
    And now – another Space Hulk? A shooter? From the creators of Divine Cybermancy? In this particular case, I have absolutely no bloody idea what to expect or what GW are expecting.

• lowprices says:

It looks like GW is just granting a licence to as many people as possible in the hope that something takes off. I doubt they’re funding any of the games, so it’s all potential profit to them. It won’t really hurt them as a Brand, as all too often fans will happily dig through a mountain of shit to find the few specks of gold, if the mountain has the name of their beloved franchise (most franchises, not just 40K I should specify) on the side.

• Guvornator says:

Well, with THQ resting in piece all that loverly w:40k cash is resting with them, which is a bit of a bugger from GW’s point of view. More to the point, here is what they say regarding licenses, from their legal page:-

“5. Licences

We’ve currently got licences in place with a number of companies who are producing a range of stuff including games from our back catalogue and computer games based in the Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 worlds.

Licences are not only a way for us to keep games ‘alive’ that we no longer have the resources to support but also allow us to develop and explore our gaming universes in a way that we can’t always do in a tabletop game. For instance, in a computer game you might get to hear your Orks’ war cry as they charge headlong into combat. Licences are also, of course, great fun because we get to see cool takes on our favourite GW stuff.
        If you’ve got a strong vision of something you want to produce, using our imagery, and have a sound plan to make it a reality, then the people to talk to are our licensing department. You can reach them at the address below:

licensing@gwplc.com

If we think that your submission may be suited to Games Workshop’s licensing strategy we will contact you to let you know what the next step will be. If you do not hear back from us, then, unfortunately, we do not currently have any opportunities for your submission at this point.”*

Essentially, they’re A&R-ing licenses…

*should you feel the need to read the whole thing, it’s here http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?pIndex=2&aId=3900002&start=3&_requestid=958331

• lowprices says:

Let us pretend, for a second, that I am a moron that does not understand legal/business terminology: “A&R”?

• nearly says:

my guess was “ask & receive” but that’s based purely on context

• Guvornator says:

In the olden days, when cassette was king, I used to send tape of my “music” to the A&R dept of any record label that would take it in the hopes it would be picked up and I would become famous. The fact I’m here, typing this, rather indicates that it didn’t and wasn’t…

In other words, it’s a system for collecting unsolicited demos (or ideas in this case) in the hopes of making cash money.

*it stands for artists and repertoire

• lowprices says:

Thanks. Now: “Cassette”?

Kidding, by the way.

However, if GW are accepting submissions, I shall have to run my idea for a deeply homoerotic sims-clone about off-duty Space Marines past them. It’s got “hit” written all over it.

• Guvornator says:

An analog Myspace. Myspace is still a thing, right?

• Nick says:

Quickly! Someone with the ability and talent go and pitch a Necromunda 1:1 conversion, STAT!

13. Wonderboy2402 says:

Well that is a pleasant surprise! A spacehulk FPS was something I wanted to see.

But… is this the right place for it, in terms of the studio? I sorta feel like GW has tossed the license to alot of different studios waiting for something to stick?

14. Lord_Mordja says:

EYE is unironically one of my favourite games-up there with STALKER and Half Life- so this is wonderful news to me.

15. CJ says:

Please give us 5 way co-op with correct weapon type distribution and I will be in heaven.

16. SanguineAngel says:

Ridiculous…. everyone knows that the Death Company are the most feared of all Space Marine Companies.

Also this could be fun. The old space hulk game was somewhat FP and was pant wettingly terrifying

17. skullBaseknowledge says:

armor fetish!

18. Volcanu says:

Well colour me cautious.

Love the idea if it’s done right. That said a few pitfalls spring to mind. Getting the balance right between capturing the weighty ‘feel’ of a Terminator, without navigation becoming a tedious plod-athon (yes, that’s definitely a word) won’t be easy. It just wouldnt feel right to have Terminators sprinting ala most FPS games.

Secondly, I hope they give themselves some license beyond the boardgame style environments. Otherwise it has potential to be a bland corridor shooter. Tense shootouts in confined areas is clearly a must, but within the lore there is good scope to vary things up when exploring a Space Hulk.

I’m hoping they recreate that feeling of escalating tension interspersed with moments of ‘all hell breaks loose’ action. If they pace it right and play upon the restricted maneuvaribility/field of vision of a termie as you push on through the derelict ship, with genestealers able to burst out at a moments notice, it could work really well. I actually think Dead Space 1 handled the atmosphere of exploring a massive abandoned ship very strongly. A game paced like that but with stronger gunplay would tick a lot of boxes.

I’d not heard of the developers before which I didnt take to be a great sign, but from other comments it sounds like they will ahve some interestign ideas and wont be taking a colour by numbers approach. Although its likely the end product will be rough around the edges as a best case scenario.

Lastly, will Relic hurry up and announce DoW III already? Thats the licensed 40k game I’m desperate for and with a proven developer behind it.

• ziusudra says:

Forget Dead Space think more of AvP 2000, now that was tense.

• Volcanu says:

Right you are sir. The Marine sections of that were a butt-clenchingly tense affair. I seem to recall my teenage self unloadign a full clip of pulse rifle bullets into a hook that looked all to like a xenomorph tail…

19. racccoon says:

brilliant can’t wait still playing and enjoying Space Hulk. This one would melt it into place.

20. Vulgar_Monkey says:

I hope they refine the animations. Something about his gait seems off….I think because the suit is a very topheavy design yet he is just strolling along. I’d have expected them to have to adopt a wider stance similar to the one they adopt when stationary. It’s what they’ve done for every other terminator walk animation in every other 40k game.

21. Simbosan says:

I know it’s deeply unfashionable but I really enjoyed Space Marine. Mash mash budda budda budda! Shallow as a puddle but I found it excellent harmless fun especially jumping up and down on orcs with the jetpack thingo. DIVE!

• RedViv says:

Why would it be unfashionable? It received generally good reviews, was good at letting you play a Spess Mahreen, and had multiplayer wot was fun for a while.

• ceriphim says:

But it was such a disappointing use of the IP. There’s so much more to 40k than being a shitty GoW clone. Simbosan’s right when describing the gameplay as “Shallow as a puddle”:
        Corridor after corridor after corridor, no sense of scale, weird choices made at the expense of the crappy combat (Where’d personal shields come from?), bolter damage totally underpowered, horrifically overused tropes re: the Inquisition, complete lack of tactics or squad-based combat, I could go on…

I understand concessions need to be made (and probably moreso in that case because IIRC the game was scrapped and completely remade at one point), but it missed the whole point of having Space Marines as protagonists.

FFS, I hope the designers of this new Deathwing game have read some decent fluff and actually get some of the feeling right…

22. sinister agent says:

I thought that said “Deathwhine” at first and then I pictured a game about escorting the grim reaper back home because he’s lost his glasses and keeps whinging about it.

• RProxyOnly says:

I’ve read some very entertaining and funny comments on this site, unfortunately this wasn’t one of them.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

I thought it was funny.

• Widthwood says:

23. Geen says:

I just want a Deff Skwadron ‘flight’ simulator.

24. KirbyEvan says:

I really liked E.Y.E., and if they did as good a job as they did on that game, there’s no way this can’t be fantastic.

25. ziusudra says:

I liked EYE as well, it has so much soul and charm, just wish the story was better. But its a great game.

26. Chillz says:

Oh boy, I got hyped again. And for a Warhammer game.. of all the sodding things to get hyped on.

27. icemann says:

I hated E.Y.E with a PASSION. Nothing but a glorified Halflife 2 mod that shouldn’t have been charged for. Bought it in last years summer sale and regretted it 5 mins later.

If this new Space Hulk game is by the same people I wont be getting it.

28. Voltir says:

I want robe on that armor….

29. DatonKallandor says:

They really need to take a gigantic page out of Republic Commando and have a visible helmet the HUD is projected on top. Space Hulk needs immersion and there’s no better way to be immersed than alien fluids spattering your helmet as you bolter them point blank.

30. vorazan says:

A Deathwing Terminator Librarian? Well, fudge, why didn’t they make you a Deathwing Dreadnought.

hint hint

31. Oathbreaker says:

The story that really got me hooked way back when in 1985 or something. You should read it. You really really should. It’s THAT good. It’s $2.99 in the last link. William King and Bryan Ansell deserve every penny in royalties, or at least renown and honour, from every sale of that anthology and story.

32. kud13 says:

E.Y.E. was an icredibly…interesting game.

It did a lot of stuff wrong, but it absolutely NAILED the feeling of being a badass killing machine–be it by gun, a powersword, a powersword AND a gun, weird psy-powers, or even something like jumping onto an enemy from a 50+ foot cliff and smashing them to pieces using gravity.

there is really no better team out there to convey the feeling of being a Terminator–a badass killing machine.

gonna be looking forward to this.

33. Robot_Joe says:

oh boy i can’t wait for another fps recreation of a strategic franchise -vomit-

• Sheng-ji says:

You’ve got your computerised board game recreation, freshly released and according to you virtually beyond criticism so why would you begrudge the release of this?

• Robot_Joe says:

Yes because that’s exactly what I said. Space Hulk is janky as heck and no where near perfect, but no where as near bad as the reviewer said, a lot of his criticism for the game is pretty stupid and nit picky. Opinion, Away! Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Well then I hope the game doesn’t get the same treatment as New Syndicate and Xcom the bureau and considering how much of a mess EYE was I have my doubts!